Bible Dictionaries

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jassy

May 15, 2024
Hi so I hope I am posting in the right place it is a little hard to tell. Basically I'm looking for recommendations on a Bible dictionary. I do have a couple apps and I have borrowed one from a friend but I found the app and bible dictionary I have borrowed to be lack luster in content however there are so many options on line I just can't decide!

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I would be very grateful.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Be careful with words that have multiple meaning when you use those bible dictionaries. I've seen a LOT of preachers get off on a rabbit trail when they latch onto a meaning they like, but it is not supported at all by the context of the scripture they are reading.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Sorry... That didn't actually answer your question at all. But it's all I got.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Hi so I hope I am posting in the right place it is a little hard to tell. Basically I'm looking for recommendations on a Bible dictionary. I do have a couple apps and I have borrowed one from a friend but I found the app and bible dictionary I have borrowed to be lack luster in content however there are so many options on line I just can't decide!

When you say dictionary, do you mean something that gives the Hebrew and Greek meanings of words? Or something like Smith's that is more like an encyclopedia?

May 13, 2024
Hello

Might I suggest you check out 'logos' https://www.logos.com/

Dictionaries and concordances are limited, I've found that 'logos' helps with that. One of the interesting aspects is understanding 'semantic range' and looking at use's of the words, in their original language and context, and comparing them to every use in scripture (a slick feature logos make's easy to use).

Consider the word 'run' in english... i'm going running (what do you imagine? a person physically running or jogging) ... i'm running to the store (what do you imagine, someone running to the store, or getting in a vehicle and driving?) ... my car is running; So.. simple example but it's the same word, spelled the same way, but in three different applications entirely;

Logos helps understand these kinds of instances, but on a much more substantial scale and importance, with the bibilical language.

Maybe you find it helpful, maybe not, either way, have a great day :)

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia

I started with hard copies of Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and Dictionary.
It's not perfect as none are.
However, it's paper and a nice companion if you use a paper Bible.

I have also found Vines Dictionary to also be pretty accurate.

Keep in mind that oftentimes Bible words are defined in the Bible itself. Some words are used interchangeably.
Always ask God for help learning doctrines and defining Words. For every believer in Christ, the Holy Spirit is there to help.

Jassy

May 15, 2024
I started with hard copies of Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and Dictionary.
It's not perfect as none are.
However, it's paper and a nice companion if you use a paper Bible.

I have also found Vines Dictionary to also be pretty accurate.

Keep in mind that oftentimes Bible words are defined in the Bible itself. Some words are used interchangeably.
Always ask God for help learning doctrines and defining Words. For every believer in Christ, the Holy Spirit is there to help.

Thank you for the recommendations. I am just attempting to find resources to aid me in the bible. The biggest issue I have is people and place names. I try to use the maps but I still struggle.

I also like learning what the names mean as they're relevant to where they are placed.

Jassy

May 15, 2024
Hello

Might I suggest you check out 'logos' https://www.logos.com/

Dictionaries and concordances are limited, I've found that 'logos' helps with that. One of the interesting aspects is understanding 'semantic range' and looking at use's of the words, in their original language and context, and comparing them to every use in scripture (a slick feature logos make's easy to use).

Consider the word 'run' in english... i'm going running (what do you imagine? a person physically running or jogging) ... i'm running to the store (what do you imagine, someone running to the store, or getting in a vehicle and driving?) ... my car is running; So.. simple example but it's the same word, spelled the same way, but in three different applications entirely;

Logos helps understand these kinds of instances, but on a much more substantial scale and importance, with the bibilical language.

Maybe you find it helpful, maybe not, either way, have a great day :)
Thank you for the information I will look into it.

May 13, 2024
Thank you for the recommendations. I am just attempting to find resources to aid me in the bible. The biggest issue I have is people and place names. I try to use the maps but I still struggle.

I also like learning what the names mean as they're relevant to where they are placed.
The genealogies have great significance, however due to septuigant and english translations, tracking the genealogies is tough in english... getting into them in the original language and understading the ancient near eastern culture will help a lot;

Many of the genealogies and places (cities, etc) are all offshoots of lineage of family conflict, cain, seth, jacob, esau... with the translation issues, hard to catch, dig in, have some fun, you'll see some pretty cool things;

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia

They are useful tools for that.
I just happened across >This Sermon<
while searching for another subject.
Then I was reminded that you asked this question. It's the related subject that helps strengthen my faith and hopefully will be a blessing to you too.

DRobinson

Aug 23, 2023
I use Bullinger for the New Testament because it lists all the many spellings and words in Greek that may be translated into a single English word and each verse they are used in.
I use Wilson's Old Testament word studies for the Old Testament because it is like Bullinger's with the many spellings and words translated into a single English word and the verses each is used in.
Have had them for 40 years and I believe they are now out of print.
I also use Vine's and Young's and Strong's.
An example.
There are over 30 spellings, words in Greek that are translated "come" in the English Bible.
Using the wrong definition can lead to a wrong understanding.