Predestination is misunderstood...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rufus

Feb 17, 2024
Based on your post you linked to, it appears people think the "your sons" are Jesus' disciples because of the judgment that follows but I always saw that passage as it was the demons who would judge the false teachers (the ones accusing Jesus of doing the devils work).

Luke 11:19
19 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they (the demons) will be your judges.

My reasoning is twofold.

1. I don't recall anywhere in scripture where it speaks of believers judging unbelievers.
2. The example we have in Acts below.

Acts 19:14-16
14 Also there were seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, who did so. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?” 16 Then the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, overpowered them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.
1 Cor 6:1-3
6:1 If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints? 2 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!
NIV

Feb 12, 2024
Darwin, NT
At one point you stated "Maybe who the "sons" are is not really that important to Jesus' argument." I do not believe these are idle words.
I don't think I said that. As far as I'm concerned the "sons" are those who relate to those teaching that Jesus is doing the works of the Devil.

We most likely need someone well versed in Greek grammar and syntax to see whether the demons or the sons are the subject of verse 19.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
1 Cor 6:1-3
6:1 If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints? 2 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!
NIV
Judge the world when Jesus assigns us to reign with Him for the Millennium. It won't be for their final judgment.

Right now we are having a hard time with each other because there are too much bad and misleading teachings
to be found. When Paul wrote 1 Cor 6:1-3 ? The apostles were in control. Everyone was working with good sound teaching.
Today its become a free for all with believers in too many cases.

There stands the problem.

Mar 23, 2016
I don't think I said that.
no, you did not state that. I should have clarified that Post 6802 was my reply to studier.

Apologies for any confusion due to my inadvertence ...

sawdust said:
As far as I'm concerned the "sons" are those who relate to those teaching that Jesus is doing the works of the Devil.
in agreement.

sawdust said:
We most likely need someone well versed in Greek grammar and syntax to see whether the demons or the sons are the subject of verse 19.
right ... it is an interesting point to ponder ... (to me at least :))

Mar 8, 2024
Generally speaking, I don't see the error being not putting Him first. I don't see all disagreements in Theology being a lack in allegiance to Jesus Christ. Things were hard to understand in the first century and some things remain hard to understand. There is certainly something wrong, but I think we're hard-pressed to be saying that everyone who disagrees with us lacks allegiance to Christ or does not have the Spirit, or is some agent for the adversary.

This doesn't mean I think everything goes, which is why I mentioned checking foundations first. Paul for instance levied his harshest attack towards those who would seek to destroy one's foundation and pull them from Christ and Grace and the new era in Christ.

So, I'm not a pacifist at the end of all of this, but, in truth, I've become more settled in my faith. No matter what I know or don't know, I know Him - I understand who He is, I believe in Him and understand that Biblical Faith apart from submission is nonsense, I understand what He's done for us, and what He's doing for us as He takes us individually and corporately to a telos for all His Creation, and in faith I am submitted to Him and His plan and process. His Father is my Father and He - Jesus YHWH's Christ - is my firstborn brother and Lord and everything His Word says He is.

Men are still crazy. Entering into Christ and having His Spirit doesn't make men uncrazy in an instant - maybe for an instant - but then the process begins. It takes a lot of time and a lot of focused work to make us more and more uncrazy. There's a lot of crazy on these forums and a lot of denominational antagonism. If I were an unbeliever reading this I'd see little value in Christianity. Honestly, I've come to see little to no value in what some to many men think Christianity is.

In some ways, we're not going to completely know Him and who we are in Him until we see Him as He is. So we or I at least just keep moving forward and growing in His grace and knowledge until our individual telos or until He brings it all to its telos. Part of the task is to rest in Him while collaborating with Him at His pace for us rather than ours. It's a blend of a tension in His Word of striving and giving it our all while resting in Him. There are a lot of such tensions in the Text. Epignosis is a practical knowledge, and experiential knowledge and we may think we know things but we really don't until we do. There's Life and then Abundant Life and there is a difference between the two.
many here have a sure knowledge of God but knowledge that comes by simple mental assent is not the knowledge that the Scriptures speak of that God grants to His people. True knowledge in God is based in a sincere love to Him and His people. Seek Him and His truth in this love and He guarantees to lead you all the way.

Jer_29:13 And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.

Mar 8, 2024
He's also Christ and King of kings which the foundational Psalm 2 makes clear. And then we can begin dealing with the rest of who He is and that Biblical Faith in Him is more than a 1Cor15 gospel (which I'm not saying to open up that debate).
Agreed, 1 Cor 15:1-4 was written to those who knew who Christ is and it is foolish to talk to people about Christ without describing who He is and declaring Him to be truly God and truly Man. Therefore no one can truly know Christ unless they are granted to first know who God and man truly are.

1715913001621.jpeg

Mar 8, 2024
Thanks for this!

Nicely stated. As far as we've gotten to so far, we look to be aligned to a fair degree.

What's "PTS 2016" (bottom right corner)? Where did this come from?

This graphic looks to be well stated. I haven't gone through the referenced Scriptures yet. It seems to be one of the best overviews of the Law of Christ I've seen, which Law has to be a summation of the whole, rather than just a distinct separation from all that has gone before. It seems to properly take into account references like 2Tim3:16-17, which I see referenced but I'd add 3:15 to make certain we get the "wise for salvation" statement, and 1Tim1:8, which I don't see referenced, but is likely interpreted to be in the entirety of what's stated. If more of us could grasp this maybe we'd have less disagreement and more understanding of how to use OC Law properly under Grace in the NC era with the Law of its Mediator, Great High Priest, etc...

I jumped into reading and listening to some NCT actually in following up on something recommended on a forum. I had been mostly separated from outside input for many years and just focused on the Word in Spirit. I was a bit surprised that some or many of NCT conclusions were similar to or the same as some I had come to in my own studies away from all the noise and interpretations.

What do you read or who do you hear re: NCT? What I've read and listened to I'm not in full agreement with, but my agreement has been surprisingly higher than I thought it could be. I've communicated with one man in England who found his way into agreement with it to whatever degree he would say he has.
PTS is Providence Theological Seminary and they have much for you to read about NCT on their resources page below.

NCT Resources

There is currently no uniform NCT confession and not all NCT adherents including myself agree with all things below but there is a general agreement on most things.

1715913759183.jpeg

Feb 12, 2024
Darwin, NT
no, you did not state that. I should have clarified that Post 6802 was my reply to studier.

Apologies for any confusion due to my inadvertence ...

in agreement.

right ... it is an interesting point to ponder ... (to me at least :))
No problem, stuff happens.

Agreed, meditating on the word always finds interesting things cropping up. :)