The Lost Power of the Gospel in Wales

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 29, 2024

Firstly, some clarification:

There is still power in the gospel and its message in Wales in 2024. As recently as a couple of months ago I was one of many blessed attendees at the baptism of two teenage girls. There are many Christians around Wales today who are receiving much needed edification, comfort, conviction and more from sitting under the regular preaching of the gospel. There are still new converts being saved by the gospel’s preaching too. As Paul once wrote to the flailing church in Corinth:

“For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:18

This is one of the reasons why I become so exasperated by churches who downgrade a preaching service to something else because “preaching doesn’t seem to attract non-Christians”. We are told that yes, of course, non-Christians are going to find the preaching of Christ to be both foolishness and a stumbling block, but as Christians, we know it to be the power of God – in saving us, as all Christians once experienced, and in the building up of our faith. William Cowper was able to write during a time of great revival:

“Dear dying Lamb, Thy precious blood shall never lose its power”

Thank God that this is still true for us today!

The country of Wales has had a great history of Christianity and revivals. Some of the most famous include the 18th century Great Awakening revivals, with preachers such as Daniel Rowlands, Howell Harris, William Williams, and even the English George Whitefield being greatly used, the revival of 1859 of Humphrey Jones and David Morgan, and the widespread revivals of 1904-5.

Although, thankfully, there are a good number of churches around Wales that are bucking the current general trend of Christianity today, there are also many churches that are dwindling in number at a startling rate, many churches are closing or are recently closed, and many churches of all types and denominations are feeling a great sense of powerlessness in the taking of the gospel to the lost.

One of the most wonderful stories I have come across from reading of the Welsh revivals of the past – this account coming from the 1904-5 revival – concerns a man named Levi Jarvis:

Levi Jarvis was a man who loved to drink, who loved to fight, and who was feared throughout the whole community. This fearsome man, however, became very scared of the revival that was now spreading throughout his locality… so much so that his wife thought he was going mad! He would even leave his house for work an hour earlier than usual, so as to avoid the conversations concerning the revival from his fellow workers as they walked together to the coal mining pit.

Well, one day, when Levi Jarvis returned home from work, his wife said to him, “Levi, you’ll never believe it! R.B. Jones (the preacher of that revival) has called round, asking to speak to you!” Levi Jarvis responded by taking a big drink of water, picking up the loaf of bread from the table and running off into the mountain to hide himself away!

A mere hour or two later, Levi Jarvis was found stepping into the entrance of the packed-out church, and as the preacher stopped speaking to look at Levi Jarvis, and all the congregation turning to look upon him also, Levi Jarvis asked in a trembling voice, “Can the Lord Jesus save such a sinner as me?”

40 years or so later, this same Levi Jarvis was known to gather the young people of the church to himself, and say, “Come, and let’s talk about that time when the Lord saved me!”[1]

Whilst this story continues to thrill me to the core, I also can’t help but ask the questions, “Where has this power gone – where even the worst of men are unable to flee from the gospel’s saving power?” and, “Will I ever know or see this power myself?”

1904-05 was the time of the last revival of great significance within the country of Wales. Since the time of the Reformation, Wales has never had to wait 119 years for its next revival… until now.

Where has this gospel power gone?

Back at the beginning of the 1859 revival, on New Year’s Day, at Devil’s Bridge, an old minister wrote of a certain service:

“The evening service was terrible. So near was the revivalist [David Morgan] to his God, that his face shone like that of an angel, so that none could gaze steadfastly at him. Many of the hearers swooned. On the way home I dared not break the silence for miles. Towards midnight I ventured to say, ‘Didn’t we have blessed meetings, Mr Morgan?’

‘Yes,’ he replied; and after a pause, added, ‘The Lord would give us great things, if He could only trust us’. ‘What do you mean?’ I asked. ‘If He could trust us not to steal the glory for ourselves.’

Then the midnight air rang with his cry, at the top of his voice, ‘Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.’”[2]

The article in full can be found here: https://mprydden.wixsite.com/itsdarkeratnight/post/the-lost-power-of-the-gospel-in-wales

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

Firstly, some clarification:

There is still power in the gospel and its message in Wales in 2024. As recently as a couple of months ago I was one of many blessed attendees at the baptism of two teenage girls. There are many Christians around Wales today who are receiving much needed edification, comfort, conviction and more from sitting under the regular preaching of the gospel. There are still new converts being saved by the gospel’s preaching too. As Paul once wrote to the flailing church in Corinth:

“For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:18

This is one of the reasons why I become so exasperated by churches who downgrade a preaching service to something else because “preaching doesn’t seem to attract non-Christians”. We are told that yes, of course, non-Christians are going to find the preaching of Christ to be both foolishness and a stumbling block, but as Christians, we know it to be the power of God – in saving us, as all Christians once experienced, and in the building up of our faith. William Cowper was able to write during a time of great revival:

“Dear dying Lamb, Thy precious blood shall never lose its power”

Thank God that this is still true for us today!

The country of Wales has had a great history of Christianity and revivals. Some of the most famous include the 18th century Great Awakening revivals, with preachers such as Daniel Rowlands, Howell Harris, William Williams, and even the English George Whitefield being greatly used, the revival of 1859 of Humphrey Jones and David Morgan, and the widespread revivals of 1904-5.

Although, thankfully, there are a good number of churches around Wales that are bucking the current general trend of Christianity today, there are also many churches that are dwindling in number at a startling rate, many churches are closing or are recently closed, and many churches of all types and denominations are feeling a great sense of powerlessness in the taking of the gospel to the lost.

One of the most wonderful stories I have come across from reading of the Welsh revivals of the past – this account coming from the 1904-5 revival – concerns a man named Levi Jarvis:

Levi Jarvis was a man who loved to drink, who loved to fight, and who was feared throughout the whole community. This fearsome man, however, became very scared of the revival that was now spreading throughout his locality… so much so that his wife thought he was going mad! He would even leave his house for work an hour earlier than usual, so as to avoid the conversations concerning the revival from his fellow workers as they walked together to the coal mining pit.

Well, one day, when Levi Jarvis returned home from work, his wife said to him, “Levi, you’ll never believe it! R.B. Jones (the preacher of that revival) has called round, asking to speak to you!” Levi Jarvis responded by taking a big drink of water, picking up the loaf of bread from the table and running off into the mountain to hide himself away!

A mere hour or two later, Levi Jarvis was found stepping into the entrance of the packed-out church, and as the preacher stopped speaking to look at Levi Jarvis, and all the congregation turning to look upon him also, Levi Jarvis asked in a trembling voice, “Can the Lord Jesus save such a sinner as me?”

40 years or so later, this same Levi Jarvis was known to gather the young people of the church to himself, and say, “Come, and let’s talk about that time when the Lord saved me!”[1]

Whilst this story continues to thrill me to the core, I also can’t help but ask the questions, “Where has this power gone – where even the worst of men are unable to flee from the gospel’s saving power?” and, “Will I ever know or see this power myself?”

1904-05 was the time of the last revival of great significance within the country of Wales. Since the time of the Reformation, Wales has never had to wait 119 years for its next revival… until now.

Where has this gospel power gone?

Back at the beginning of the 1859 revival, on New Year’s Day, at Devil’s Bridge, an old minister wrote of a certain service:

“The evening service was terrible. So near was the revivalist [David Morgan] to his God, that his face shone like that of an angel, so that none could gaze steadfastly at him. Many of the hearers swooned. On the way home I dared not break the silence for miles. Towards midnight I ventured to say, ‘Didn’t we have blessed meetings, Mr Morgan?’

‘Yes,’ he replied; and after a pause, added, ‘The Lord would give us great things, if He could only trust us’. ‘What do you mean?’ I asked. ‘If He could trust us not to steal the glory for ourselves.’

Then the midnight air rang with his cry, at the top of his voice, ‘Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.’”[2]

The article in full can be found here: https://mprydden.wixsite.com/itsdarkeratnight/post/the-lost-power-of-the-gospel-in-wales
Revival is wonderful, but must be followed by establishing new believers in Christ. This is where it falls over. Too many church leaders are trying to establish believers in their denomination. God's blessing is where there is unity (Psalm 133). Few pastors are prepared to follow the principle of the church being the body of Christ. So you end up with congregations that are over fed and fed up. The churches that do grow do so on the wrong basis. They become Christian entertainment centres. The adherents stay spiritual babies, never growing in Christ and dependent on a weekly "fix" instead becoming Kingdom workers.

Australia had something of a revival in the 1970's, when I was saved. God gave a word that the church must function as the body. The church I attended began to move in this direction and we had some amazing meetings. But the pastor was a driven choleric, a great leader and visionary, but in no way a pastor. The Lord warned me to leave and so I did. The church imploded a couple of years later.

The pyramid leadership style is a hangover from Roman Catholicism.

1 Corinthians 14 gives the principles that should apply in church.

"What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a psalm or a teaching, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. All of these must be done to build up the church." (Verse 26)

Even this runs the risk of turning into a formula. Above all, Christians need to be led by the Spirit and come to know Jesus as The Life. No matter how accurate the doctrine may be, the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ must prevail above all else.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
You make an important point about the power of the preacher who proclaims the gospel. First I just noticed something that might be helpful.

18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

I Corinthians 1:18 , KJV

The Bible teaches that faith in Jesus Christ and primarily as Savior through His substitutionary death, burial and resurrection results in salvation.

I noticed that some versions make salvation a process. That would be another gospel based on works. That gospel would lack power regardless of the messenger who proclaimed it. However, if believing the gospel results in everlasting life, then would it be an ongoing process that must be achieved?

The power of our gospel is in the message too.

16For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Romans 1:16

This is why the clear response to the gospel is so important too. The unbeliever must believe it.

Is it important that the messenger has God's power?
Certainly it's important. The disciples are told just before Jesus left the earth to sit upon His throne,

8But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
Acts 1:16