The Atonement: What did it REALLY Accomplish?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
And lastly, I would like to include. They're speaking about the chosen elect. Those are the ones that were chosen amongst the community. To be one with Christ Divinity. We all have the opportunity to become one with Christ divinity. I don't believe that it's a requirement for you to be saved. But if you want to become a saint then it is required.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
This is what ties into mortification of the flesh.

The term mortification of the flesh comes from the Book of Romans 8:13 in the New Testament: "For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live."[11] The same idea is seen in other verses, such as Colossians 3:5 ("Put to death what is earthly in you: fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry")[12] and Galatians 5:24 ("And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires").[13] Support for such behavior in the Old Testament is found in some verses such as Proverbs 20:30: "Blows that wound cleanse away evil; strokes make clean the innermost parts."[14]

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
Matthew 16:24-25 NKJV
Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
Now these are all Bible quotes tying into the atonement of Christ and I want you to see how they tie into what I have shared. Also denying ourselves, taking up our cross, and following after Christ is essentially the foundation of how we are to respond to gods grace working in our lives.

1. Leviticus 16:29–34

“And this shall be a lasting statute for you: in the seventh month, on the tenth of the month, you must deny yourselves and you must not do any work, whether the native or the alien who is dwelling in your midst, because on this day he shall make atonement for you to cleanse you; you must be clean from all your sins before Yahweh. It is a Sabbath of complete rest for you, and you shall deny yourselves—it is a lasting statute. And the priest who is anointed and who is ordained to serve as a …
2. Isaiah 53:4–12

However, he was the one who lifted up our sicknesses, and he carried our pain, yet we ourselves assumed him stricken, struck down by God and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, crushed because of our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon him, and by his wounds we were healed. All of us have wandered about like sheep; we each have turned to his own way; and Yahweh let fall on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; … Read Isaiah 53:4–12
3. Matthew 26:26–28

Now while they were eating Jesus took bread and, after giving thanks, he broke it, and giving it to the disciples, he said, “Take, eat, this is my body.” And after taking the cup and giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Read Matthew 26:26–28
4. Romans 5:6–8

For while we were still helpless, yet at the proper time Christ died for the ungodly. For only rarely will someone die on behalf of a righteous person (for on behalf of a good person possibly someone might even dare to die), but God demonstrates his own love for us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Read Romans 5:6–8
5. 1 Corinthians 15:3

For I passed on to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, Read 1 Corinthians 15:3
6. Hebrews 9:12–14

and not by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood, he entered once for all into the most holy place, obtaining eternal redemption. For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a young cow sprinkled on those who are defiled sanctify them for the ritual purity of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, cleanse our consciences from dead works to serve the living God? Read Hebrews 9:12–14
7. Revelation 5:9–10

And they were singing a new song, saying, “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slaughtered, and bought people for God by your blood from every tribe and language and people and nation, and made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they will reign on the earth.”

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
sigh ... brightfame52, we've gone over this verse numerous times.

The words "for to give" are translated from the Greek word didōmi ...

From Thayer's Greek Lexicon (bold mine):

6. δίδωμι is joined with nouns denoting an act or an effect; and...b. the noun denotes something to be done by him to whom it is said to be given: διδόναι τινὶ μετάνοιαν, to cause him to repent, Acts 5:31 ...

now read Acts 5:31 and 5:32 together:

Acts 5:31-32 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins. And we are His witnesses to these things, and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him.

another instance of brightfame52 ripping a verse from the context within which the Author of Scripture has placed it.

Acts 11 describes the discussion when the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God (Acts 11:1).

Peter told the apostles and brethren what had occurred when he was in Joppa Acts 10:1-48) ... how God reached out to Peter to have him go to the house of Cornelius, a gentile.

Peter told them as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost (Acts 11:15-16).

At that point, the apostles and brethren said:

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

The word "granted" is translated from the Greek word didōmi ... the same word translated as "for to give" in Acts 5:31.

The comment in Acts 11:18 was made by the apostles and brethren when they realized that gentiles had been born again of Holy Spirit.

Peter brought certain brethren from Joppa with him when he went to the house of Cornelius (Acts 10:23). Peter and the brethren heard Cornelius and the gentiles present speak with tongues and magnify God (Acts 10:46). When Peter told the apostles and brethren understood that repentance unto life was granted to gentiles as well as Jews.

2 Peter 1:1-4 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord, According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

The moment a person believes in the Lord Jesus Christ, he or she is regenerated ... born again ... passed from death to life ... and is made complete in Christ.

Nothing is lacking in the born again one ... all things that pertain unto life and godliness through the knowledge of Him ... exceeding great and precious promises are given that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature ... this is the like precious faith spoken of by Peter.

your futile attempt to align Scripture to your dogma has again failed. you are to align your dogma to Scripture and where you are in error, let go of the error.

READ YOUR BIBLE!!!
You continue to resist the truth, not a good sign

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Scripture is clear that the Lord Jesus Christ died for the sins of the whole world ... all descendants of Adam ...

John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

2 Corinthians 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

The Lord Jesus Christ taketh away the sin of the world (John 1:29) and the Lord Jesus Christ is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. (1 John 2:2).

You have a problem with that? ... take it up with God Who is the Author of Scripture. Ask God for wisdom in understanding what He has written ... you must ask in faith, though ...

James 1:5-8 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

read John 8:24 again, brightfame52 ... and especially the words "if ye believe not":

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

If a person does not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ ... Who is the lamb Who takes away the sin of the world ... that person will die in his or her sins ...

... not because the death of the Lord Jesus Christ is insufficient to take away their sin, but because they rejected Him as their Lord and Savior.

The consequence of failing to believe is to receive the wages of sin which is death.

in order to comprehend what is written in verse 28, you need to include (at the very least) verse 27, brightfame52:

Matthew 26:27-28 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

If a person does not drink of it, he or she does not receive the benefit of the shed blood.

The verses do not state that the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ is insufficient to cover all the sins of all mankind.

The verses state that if we do not drink, we do not receive the benefit of the all sufficient offering for sin.

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Again, those who do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ will not enjoy the new Jerusalem:

Revelation 21:

1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

God has provided to all mankind ... all descendants of Adam ... all that is needed to enjoy the new Jerusalem which He has promised to those who believe.

That some descendants of Adam reject that which God has provided does not in any way, shape, or form cause God's provision to be insufficient ... nor does it make "His Blood a Lie, His death a lie !"

Scripture exposes your erroneous dogma as being "a Lie"

READ YOUR BIBLE!!!
More resistance to the Truth , for the Good news is Christs death has purged away the sins of them He died for Heb 1:3

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
:rolleyes: ... again you rip a verse from the context within which the Author of Scripture has placed it ...

Galatians 3:

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

the blessing of Abraham ... the promise of the Spirit ... is received the moment a person believes in the Lord Jesus Christ.

your erroneous dogma again fails when scrutinized under the full light of Scripture ...
More opposition to the Truth, Christ has redeemed every sinner He died for from the curse of the law, having been made a curse for them. Gal 3:13

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
again ... ripping a verse from the context within which the Author of Scripture has placed it is not proper interpretation of Scripture.

The Thessalonians believers had become followers of the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Thes 1:6) ... they were examples to the believers in Macedonia and Achaia (1 Thes 1:7) ... the Word of God had sounded out ... faith to God-ward had sounded out from Thessalonika (1 Thes 1:8) ...

now read verses 9 and 10 together:

1 Thessalonians 1:9-10 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

the words "and to wait" are translated from the Greek word anamenō which means (according to Vines Expository Dictionary) "to wait for" (ana, "up," used intensively, and meno, "to abide"), is used in 1Th 1:10, of "waiting" for the Son of God from heaven; the word carries with it the suggestion of "waiting" with patience and confident expectancy.

go back and read the whole chapter, brightfame52 ... then you will understand that verse 30 relates to those who ...

Job 21:14-15 Therefore they say unto God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways. What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him?

Those who reject God are the ones who shall be brought forth to the day of wrath (Job 21:30).

And please note, Job was responding to those who had come to him in his tragic time and who accused Job of some secret sin Job was hiding. Job was enduring the onslaught of the accuser (satan). His miserable comforters believed Job was being punished by God for some sin he had not repented of. However, Job clung to God and was able to claim:

Job 42:5-6 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

has your eye seen God, brightfame52? have you repented in dust and ashes?
More opposition to the truth, because Christs death alone has delivered them He died for from the wrath to come

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Hebrews 9:

26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

The words "and to them that look" are translated from the Greek word apekdechomai which pictures waiting in great anticipation but with patience. Awaiting eagerly and expectantly for some future event and so to look forward eagerly.

What is alluded to in these verses beginning in Hebrews 9:23 is the Day of Atonement when the high priest would enter into the holy of holies with the blood of the sacrifice. The holy of holies was out of the sight of the people. The people would eagerly await the reappearance of the high priest and they rejoiced at his reappearance because they knew God had accepted their offering and their sins were covered.

At this point in time, our great High Priest is seated in the heavenly Holy of Holies and we eagerly await His return because at that point all God's promises concerning salvation will be fully realized! :cool:

Are you eagerly awaiting the return of the Lord Jesus Christ, brightfame52? He will return the second time ... not to deal with sin ... He will come with the salvation promised throughout all of Scripture. Search out, find, and believe those precious promises laid out in Scripture ... such a great blessing!!!
More opposition to the truth, Christs death alone has put away the sins of them He died forthe MANY Heb 9:26-28

26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
No you're not.

If you were talking exclusively about "what Christ has done", you would not include your qualifiers ... i.e. "everyone Christ lived and died for" ... "those who Christ redeem" ... "those for whom He was delivered" ... "all for whom He died !" ... "all sinners He died for" ... "those Christ died for" ... "those of us He died for" ... "Christ for them He died" ... "for them He saved" ...

Those are qualifiers quoted from your [brightfame52] posts submitted on page 130 in this thread. If you go all the way back to page 1, you will find that just about every single post you have submitted in this thread contains your "qualifiers".

So no, brightfame52, you are not speaking solely "about what Christ has done".

You are speaking about your own dogma ... which is why you rip verses from the context in which the Author of Scripture has placed the verses and you then re-write Scripture in your futile attempt to align Scripture to your dogma ... which is improper interpretation of Scripture.

You are to align your dogma to Scripture and where you are in error, let go of the error.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
This thread is to celebrate what Christs accomplishment via His Death has accomplished, and you have been opposed to it,not good

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Hebrews 10:

5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me, ) to do thy will, O God.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

please note the words He taketh away the first, that He may establish the second (vs 9).

The words "the first " refer to the old covenant God entered into with the children of Israel ... which had a shadow of good things to come (Heb 10:1).

The words "the second " refer the new covenant in which those who believe are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once (Heb 10:10) ... and please note, the words "for all" do not appear in the text.

There is only one offering by which mankind is sanctified ... the offering of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified [Greek = hagiazó] through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

again, the words "for all" do not appear in the text.

Hagiazó in the perfect tense also speaks of what is often referred to as past tense salvation, a one time event, at which time the sinner is justified the moment they exercise faith in Christ. They will never need to be justified again. Their position in Christ is forever righteous and forever secure.
According to Heb 10:5-10 what is Gods will for Christ to do ?

5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
My goodness, did you just word vomit, bright flame? And I know that's not your name, but that's the name I'm giving you. It seems to me that you're just looking for an easy way to get right with god. If I'm not mistaken, it's very clear that the way is narrow. If the way is narrow. It's not easily found, if it's not easily found then unfortunately, the way is not easy. You go ahead and follow your easy path that takes full responsibility off of your shoulders. Did God promise to take the full burden away from us? No, he said my yoke is easy and my burden is light, but he did not take the full burden away.
You're trying to walk a path free of burden. This is not what it means to follow christ.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
I'm trying to catch up with what the discussion is here. But I think I'm pretty familiar with your views, they seem to be reform views and I can understand that you want the reassurance and guarantee of your salvation. And that's really the appeal behind the reform view. As if there's any evidence of God's grace working in your life, then you're guaranteed as the chosen elect to have a eternal life with god. God died for all of our sins. All those who are willing to receive. And if you're not holy and living a holy life.Then why would you want to be in heaven?Were the requirement is for you to be holy.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
Although my only disagreement so far from what I can tell on the other side of the argument is that we are regenerate from the time we receive baptism and I believe this is also supported by the early church fothers.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
As I have said before, when it comes to the chosen elect these are the saints that they had chosen amongst the community in acts. They chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. The congregation presented these men to the apostles. When the apostles had prayed, they laid their hands on the chosen men." (Acts 6:5-6). you have the apostles as well. This does not have anything to do with salvation. This is a special calling. Where one is sanctified and becomes holy. 1 with christ divinity divinity.They where used to go out and to proclaim to the world the gospel. To evangelize, and they worked in signs and wonders. This goes all the way back even to the Old Testament.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
My goodness, did you just word vomit, bright flame? And I know that's not your name, but that's the name I'm giving you. It seems to me that you're just looking for an easy way to get right with god. If I'm not mistaken, it's very clear that the way is narrow. If the way is narrow. It's not easily found, if it's not easily found then unfortunately, the way is not easy. You go ahead and follow your easy path that takes full responsibility off of your shoulders. Did God promise to take the full burden away from us? No, he said my yoke is easy and my burden is light, but he did not take the full burden away.
You're trying to walk a path free of burden. This is not what it means to follow christ.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, then to wait until his enemies should be made a stool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are sanctified. And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying,​
“This is the covenant that I will make with them
after those days, says the Lord:
I will put my laws on their hearts,
and write them on their minds,”
then he adds,
“I will remember their sins and their misdeeds no more.”
Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.​
Here the author of Hebrews compares the sacrifices of Old Covenant priests, which had to be offered repeatedly, with the one sacrifice of Christ. Some of these Old sacrifices were offered daily (Heb. 10:11), and some less frequently, like the annual Passover and Yom Kippur/Day of Atonement sacrifices. The author of Hebrews makes the argument that Jesus fulfills the Day of Atonement sacrifices in Hebrews 9, especially verses 11-14.
Because Christ’s one sacrifice culminated in everlasting glory, he continues to offer it in the heavenly sanctuary on our behalf (Heb. 8:1-3). That’s why he holds his priesthood permanently(Heb. 7:23-25), even now interceding on our behalf (Heb. 9:23-24).
So Jesus is the high priest of heaven and he always lives to make intercession for us.
Jesus’ one sacrifice is made sacramentally present and offered anew according to the order of Melchizedek, i.e., under the forms of bread and wine (Gen. 14:18-20, Heb. 5:7-10, Matt. 26:26-29, Luke 22:19-20; Consequently, the words of the Lord’s Prayer—“Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven”—are nowhere more profoundly fulfilled because heaven and earth are united in a most perfect way that further fosters the redemption of mankind.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
The author of Hebrews says that we “have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” The author then says similarly in verse fourteen, “For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are sanctified.”
If Christ’s offering has sanctified us “once for all” and “for all time,” so it’s argued, then we don’t need to worry about mortal sins causing us to lose our salvation, since when God justifies us he forgives all our sins—past, present, and future.
Christ’s one sacrifice is sufficient to take away our sins (whenever we repent). He doesn’t have to offer himself again to merit the grace that forgives us of any new sins we commit. His death on the cross 2,000 years ago was sufficient.
Concerning verse fourteen, where we read that Christ has “perfected [teteleiōken] for all time those who are sanctified,” in light of the above passages we know that the author can’t mean that our future sins are forgiven. Therefore, he must mean something else.
A plausible reading is that Christ’s sacrifice makes complete provision for Christians of all times to achieve their goal of perfection. Not only does the Greek word teteleiōken (“he has perfected”) allow for such a reading, it would also fit the context that speaks of Christ’s death precluding any further sacrifices for sins.
Furthermore, the phrase “those who are sanctified” can be translated “those who are beingsanctified” (as it is in the ESV translation). The present participle suggests that there is an ongoing application of the merits of Christ’s single offering, unlike the Old Testament sacrifices, which needed to be constantly repeated. This militates against the way the challenge interprets the text, since if our future sins were already forgiven there would be no need for a continuous application of Christ’s merits.

Nufan

Oct 10, 2019
“Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after.... I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:12-15)....