Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 482
Like Tree343Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,433
    Rep Power
    0

    Default ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    What does Paul mean by "one baptism" or what is Paul's point in saying "one baptism"?

    What does "one" mean?

    What does "baptism" mean?

  2. #2
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,687
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    In context and in harmony with the original language it is referring to Holy Spirit baptism. The one and only baptism that saves. The baptism that only God through Christ can administer.

    You know the Holy Spirit baptism you refuse to believe in. The Holy Spirit the Comforter, the third person in the Godhead.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    dcontroversal likes this.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,433
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    In context and in harmony with the original language it is referring to Holy Spirit baptism. The one and only baptism that saves. The baptism that only God through Christ can administer.

    You know the Holy Spirit baptism you refuse to believe in. The Holy Spirit the Comforter, the third person in the Godhead.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger

    The verse does not say "one Holy Spirit baptism". As Atwood would post:
    [No Holy Spirit in the verse]

    What in the immediate context implies the verse refers to some kind of figurative spirit baptism and not literal water baptism.

    And how many is one?

    1 Cor 1:14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13 - do both refer to one baptism or two different baptisms?
    tribesman likes this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member posthuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2013
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14,935
    Rep Power
    244

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    one means "singular"

    baptizo literally means "immersion" and culturally (with H2O) was a ritual act signifying identification with a particular master/teacher/precept with regards to discipleship, having roots in the Levitical ceremonial washing for the purposes of ritual purity and cleanness, used ceremonially for the sanctification and setting apart of priests for particular religious service.

    Jesus referred to His work at the cross as "baptism" (Mark 10:38-39, Luke 12:50)

    Peter identified the giving of the Holy Spirit as "baptism" (Acts 11:15-16)

    Paul refers to the exodus as "baptism" (1 Corinthians 10:2)

    John the Baptist drew a sharp distinction between his "baptism" - with H2O - and Christ's "baptism" - with spirit and fire (Matthew 3:11, Luke 3:16)



  5. #5
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,687
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
    The verse does not say "one Holy Spirit baptism". As Atwood would post:
    [No Holy Spirit in the verse]

    What in the immediate context implies the verse refers to some kind of figurative spirit baptism and not literal water baptism.

    And how many is one?

    1 Cor 1:14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13 - do both refer to one baptism or two different baptisms?
    Your aversion to the Holy Spirit is very telling.

    John 20...Jesus breathed on them and said receive ye the Holy Spirit.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,433
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    Your aversion to the Holy Spirit is very telling.

    John 20...Jesus breathed on them and said receive ye the Holy Spirit.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Your aversion to Christ's water baptism is very telling.


    F.F. Bruce: “baptism in the New Testament is always baptism in water unless the context shows it to be something else; that is to say, the word is always to be understood literally unless the context indicates a figurative meaning(Questions Answered, p. 106).

    There is nothing in the context that suggests it refers to "spirit baptism" F.F. Bruce goes on to say "If 'one baptism' here had meant Spirit-baptism to the exclusion of water baptism, it would have been associated with `one Spirit,' and not with `one Lord'." The Epistle to the Ephesians (Old Tappan, New Jersey: Fleming H. Revell Company, 1961), p. 80.

    Does 1 Cor 1:14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13 refer to ONE water baptism or TWO different baptisms?
    tribesman likes this.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,433
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by posthuman View Post
    one means "singular"

    baptizo literally means "immersion" and culturally (with H2O) was a ritual act signifying identification with a particular master/teacher/precept with regards to discipleship, having roots in the Levitical ceremonial washing for the purposes of ritual purity and cleanness, used ceremonially for the sanctification and setting apart of priests for particular religious service.

    Jesus referred to His work at the cross as "baptism" (Mark 10:38-39, Luke 12:50)

    Peter identified the giving of the Holy Spirit as "baptism" (Acts 11:15-16)

    Paul refers to the exodus as "baptism" (1 Corinthians 10:2)

    John the Baptist drew a sharp distinction between his "baptism" - with H2O - and Christ's "baptism" - with spirit and fire (Matthew 3:11, Luke 3:16)



    So one baptism is one literal immersion...a literal immersion in literal water.

    "One" is singular so what singular baptism is found in 1 Cor 1;14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13?
    tribesman likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Matt1626's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2014
    Age
    41
    Posts
    192
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
    What does Paul mean by "one baptism" or what is Paul's point in saying "one baptism"?

    What does "one" mean?

    What does "baptism" mean?

    Well if we take the bible literally as I do them it means what it says

    One baptism
    you should not get baptized multiple times, some churches do this
    One lord
    only one god
    one faith
    Denominationalism is a false system and there is only one true church
    Nick1939 and UnderGrace like this.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,433
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt1626 View Post
    Well if we take the bible literally as I do them it means what it says

    One baptism
    you should not get baptized multiple times, some churches do this
    One lord
    only one god
    one faith
    Denominationalism is a false system and there is only one true church



    ....and if there is ONE baptism then the baptism of 1 Cor 12:13 and 1 Cor 1:14,16 are both the same, ONE baptism?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 4th, 2013
    Age
    69
    Posts
    7,761
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
    What does Paul mean by "one baptism" or what is Paul's point in saying "one baptism"?

    What does "one" mean?

    What does "baptism" mean?
    Baptism is to be fully immersed and/or enveloped in any given situation. In Christ it is to be fully immersed with the Holy Spirit and cleansed by the fire, i.e. continuously refined and purified.

    Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
    vic1980 likes this.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2nd, 2014
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,060
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
    What does Paul mean by "one baptism" or what is Paul's point in saying "one baptism"?

    What does "one" mean?

    What does "baptism" mean?
    The context is about unity and by saying one baptism I submit that Paul is referring to that baptism which they all partook of, repent and be baptized and you shall receive the gift of the Holy spirit.
    Nick1939 and Exodus1 like this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,687
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
    Your aversion to Christ's water baptism is very telling.


    F.F. Bruce: “baptism in the New Testament is always baptism in water unless the context shows it to be something else; that is to say, the word is always to be understood literally unless the context indicates a figurative meaning(Questions Answered, p. 106).

    There is nothing in the context that suggests it refers to "spirit baptism" F.F. Bruce goes on to say "If 'one baptism' here had meant Spirit-baptism to the exclusion of water baptism, it would have been associated with `one Spirit,' and not with `one Lord'." The Epistle to the Ephesians (Old Tappan, New Jersey: Fleming H. Revell Company, 1961), p. 80.

    Does 1 Cor 1:14,16 and 1 Cor 12:13 refer to ONE water baptism or TWO different baptisms?
    There you go again. Saying things that are not true. I have no problem with water baptism. I only have a problem with water baptism being necessary for salvation.

    Holy Spirit baptism is the only baptism necessary for salvation. One baptism that saves. Many washings to proclaim devotion to purity and holiness to God.

    Water washes the body outside. The Holy Spirit quickens the soul inside.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 21st, 2013
    Age
    78
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    There you go again. Saying things that are not true. I have no problem with water baptism. I only have a problem with water baptism being necessary for salvation.

    Holy Spirit baptism is the only baptism necessary for salvation. One baptism that saves. Many washings to proclaim devotion to purity and holiness to God.

    Water washes the body outside. The Holy Spirit quickens the soul inside.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    NOTUPTOME, I would like to know that if you don't have any problem with water baptism why are you being
    baptized in water if it is not necessary for salvation ? or have you not being baptized in water yet; and if not please consider
    the following verses .
    first John the Baptist and Jesus Mat3:13-16 second Mat 21:25 third Mark 16:16 fourth Acts 2 :38 fifth 1 Pet 3:21
    men are commanded to do water baptism Mat 28:19 the Lord does spirit baptism and fire Mat 3 :11
    NOTICE the phrase HE shall baptize you. ( the Lord will do that not men ) God bless.......

  14. #14
    Senior Member tribesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    In water baptism God (without co-operation with the recipient) is at work through the Holy Spirit, with water as a means conferring grace to the believers, the Elect.

    There is a subtle despise against water baptism among many christians. I wonder if not the origin of it is to be found within the gnostic mindset...something "physical" cannot provide the spiritual. That would not be spiritual enough.

    God, however, has chosen this form of the New Covenant sign and seal, with same function as circumcision had in the Old Covenant.
    Butch5 likes this.
    Matt.6:14-15 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

    There is no worse screen to block out the Spirit than confidence in our own intelligence. - John Calvin

  15. #15
    Senior Member dalconn's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 2014
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,010
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Paul said a sign of a mature believer is one who puts these elementary doctrines behind him and grows into his or her ministry (paraphrasing)

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,433
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    There you go again. Saying things that are not true. I have no problem with water baptism. I only have a problem with water baptism being necessary for salvation.

    Holy Spirit baptism is the only baptism necessary for salvation. One baptism that saves. Many washings to proclaim devotion to purity and holiness to God.

    Water washes the body outside. The Holy Spirit quickens the soul inside.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    If water baptism is not necessary to being saved, then why should anyone be water baptized, as the eunuch was?

    You say you have no problem with water baptism but think people are spirit baptized, but that is TWO baptisms not ONE.

    Again, is the baptism in 1 Cor 1:14,16 the same one baptism of 1 Cor 12:13?
    Exodus1 likes this.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,433
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by dalconn View Post
    Paul said a sign of a mature believer is one who puts these elementary doctrines behind him and grows into his or her ministry (paraphrasing)
    Paul is not saying to depart from or abandoned the first principles but to build upon the foundation of the first principles.

    All the various religious groups contradict each other, even on the 'elementary doctrines' so how can they move on from what they cannot even agree upon? How they move on to more advanced things when not even able to agree upon what are suppose to be simple things?

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,433
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    There you go again. Saying things that are not true. I have no problem with water baptism. I only have a problem with water baptism being necessary for salvation.

    Holy Spirit baptism is the only baptism necessary for salvation. One baptism that saves. Many washings to proclaim devotion to purity and holiness to God.

    Water washes the body outside. The Holy Spirit quickens the soul inside.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Addendum:

    Do you have a problem with water baptism being commanded by God? Can man disobey God's commands (unrighteousness) and be saved anyway?
    Nick1939 likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,687
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
    Addendum:

    Do you have a problem with water baptism being commanded by God? Can man disobey God's commands (unrighteousness) and be saved anyway?
    The command to be baptized is Holy Spirit not water. This is the lynch pin of your error.

    Salvation is a heart matter. Holy Spirit baptism is a heart matter. Water baptism is a Jewish tradition.

    Even today when a Jewish person claims to be saved by grace through faith in Christ the Messiah his friends and family will endeavor to persuade him or her to recant right up and until he or she receives water baptism. After water baptism they are considered dead and separated from the Jewish religion.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger

  20. #20
    Senior Member posthuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2013
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14,935
    Rep Power
    244

    Default Re: ONE BAPTISM - Ephesians 4:5

    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
    So one baptism is one literal immersion...a literal immersion in literal water.

    is it H2O we ought to walk in and remain in, or Christ?

    should we encourage each other not to leave our bathtubs, or not to let our feet stray from the Way?

    H2O didn't wash away my sin. the blood of Jesus Christ did. it is in Him we ought to be immersed, and in Him we ought to dwell, and in Him we receive redemption, sanctification, justification, and the eternal promise and hope which IS Him.

    here is where my soul was redeemed:
    hqdefault.jpg

    not here:
    imgres.jpg
    dcontroversal and UnderGrace like this.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. baptism..believers baptism??
    By phil36 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 26th, 2014, 12:56 PM
  2. Baby baptism or adult baptism
    By Ella85 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: December 24th, 2014, 06:09 PM
  3. Is John baptism same with water baptism that taking place today?
    By Jackson123 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: October 14th, 2014, 11:46 PM
  4. The Baptism of Ephesians Four
    By CWJ in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: March 12th, 2014, 01:46 PM
  5. Using Ephesians 2:8-9 As A Pogo Stick To Easily Leap Over Baptism Verses
    By 1still_waters in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 5th, 2013, 06:58 PM