Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738
Results 741 to 755 of 755
Like Tree383Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Do you know why you are a protestant???

  1. #741
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,109
    Rep Power
    118

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Quote Originally Posted by RexCA View Post
    I suggest you read the whole statement I said I never said Whitefield taught that we are born again through baptism
    I never made the claim that you said the above. Go re-read my statement, it said nothing of the sort. Go read what I actually said.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  2. #742
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,109
    Rep Power
    118

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Quote Originally Posted by Dai3234 View Post
    Sorry, just currently dissapear in hardly any churches staying "alive" around my area because it seems people are just too nervous or feel out of place. In the UK we don't really have street preachers, or street evangelists. Just a few quiet leaflet givers or a preacher that gets arrested etc.

    But they still preach to "check ourselves". No one wants to rock the boat so we all just mull along quietly whilst the churches, seem to die.
    I am sorry for all of that dear brother. We will pray for you. Thanks for clarifying your statement.
    oldethennew likes this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  3. #743
    Senior Member vic1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2013
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,295
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    "if anyone shall say , that by faith alone the impious is justified... Let him be anathema" council of Trent ( Session 6 , Chapter 16 , canon 9 )

    "Should anyone , which God forbid , have the termerity to reject this definition of [ the Pope Infallibility] let him be anathema " First Vatican Council ( Session 4 , Chapter 4 )

    Forbid to continue to post these abominable laws from them

    Constantine RELIGIO LICITA = State licensed Church not the one Jesus Christ founded.

    Get out of her my people , Shalom
    abcdef likes this.
    Very good reminder...

    1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

    &

    Psalm 37:30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.

    The carnal mind hates truth & judgement, and leans unto its own understanding. The mind of the spirit, loves truth and being decreased in the carnal, is to be increased in Christ.

  4. #744
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Quote Originally Posted by RexCA View Post
    This question has been affirmed for quite some time now in Catholic doctrine the concept of Limbo was never doctrine let's keep that in mind but there was a time when it was a really popular private belief. Now popes within the last 400 years or so have mostly shifted away from this view and I and most Catholics would tend to agree.

    The teaching as to what happens when someone who has Christian faith and does good deeds dies without the grace of the sacraments(as without baptism one cannot receive any other sacraments) what will happen well there are 2 possible scenarios, did the "faithful Christian" willfully reject baptism as unneeded and pointless if he did this by his own will this Christian would not be saved as he would have been knowingly rejected the opportunity to be born again and he would also knowingly be rejecting God's grace. Now for the more relevant scenario that I think everyone is trying to get at what about the man who has Christian faith who did good but did not reject the sacraments but just happened to never receive them because he did not fully understand their merit or he may have never gotten the opportunity to be baptized, the Catholic teaching is that we entrust them to God's grace and that they should be saved due to baptism of desire. Essentially the sacraments are God's way of imputing grace on the faithful however God is not held only to these sacraments if a good man died but did everything to the best of his knowledge(lacked for knowledge of the truth of Christianity or the opportunity to be baptized) he will not be damned. God is a merciful God.
    Let me clarify my statement. The scenario is that a person accepts Jesus and the baptism is scheduled. On the way home the person is killed in an accident. Some denominations view the person as unsaved. I disagree with that view. Those denominations normally have a baptism immediately.
    Last edited by Endoscopy; 1 Week Ago at 11:43 PM.

  5. #745
    Senior Member tanakh's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2015
    Age
    70
    Posts
    2,827
    Rep Power
    59

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    I am not a Catholic firstly because my family were not Catholic and I didnt know any during my Childhood. Secondly because there are certain teachings that I don't agree with. That just about sums it up.

  6. #746
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 1st, 2016
    Age
    20
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoscopy View Post
    Let me clarify my statement. The scenario is that a person accepts Jesus and the baptism is scheduled. On the way home the person is killed in an accident. Some denominations view the person as unsaved. I disagree with that view. Those denominations normally have a baptism immediately.
    While the Catholic Church would schedule the baptism ASAP as baptism is believed to be necessary for salvation it is not believed that the unbaptized will be damned if they have Christian faith(as stated earlier in Catholicism God's means of grace is believed to be through the sacraments however God's mercy is not bound to the sacraments think of the good thief on the cross) and do everything in their power to receive the sacramental grace received from baptism, in the scenario you gave most Catholics would believe that this man would be saved. In fact I can not think of any Christian churches of denominations that hold such a strict interpretation of the necessity of baptism off the top of my head Calvinism maybe? idk though

  7. #747
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 1st, 2016
    Age
    20
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    again this would be different if the supposed Christian in the picture was willfully rejecting the grace of baptism but this is not the scenario you are offering

  8. #748
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Quote Originally Posted by RexCA View Post
    While the Catholic Church would schedule the baptism ASAP as baptism is believed to be necessary for salvation it is not believed that the unbaptized will be damned if they have Christian faith(as stated earlier in Catholicism God's means of grace is believed to be through the sacraments however God's mercy is not bound to the sacraments think of the good thief on the cross) and do everything in their power to receive the sacramental grace received from baptism, in the scenario you gave most Catholics would believe that this man would be saved. In fact I can not think of any Christian churches of denominations that hold such a strict interpretation of the necessity of baptism off the top of my head Calvinism maybe? idk though
    Armenian denominations not Calvinist ones. If I remember correctly my friend went to a Church of God. This was 30 years ago.
    Last edited by Endoscopy; 1 Week Ago at 02:12 AM.
    RexCA likes this.

  9. #749
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 1st, 2016
    Age
    20
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoscopy View Post
    Armenian denominations not Calvinist ones. If I remember correctly my friend went to a Church of God. This was 30 years ago.
    What do you mean by Armenian; generally when one says Armenian Christianity I generally think of Armenian as in the country Armenia such as the Armenian Apostolic Church which is part of the Oriental Orthodox Church or Armenian Catholic Church which is in line with the Catholic Church at large I don't think either of these is what you are referring to however as the "Church of God" is a protestant church with Pentecostal roots from what I understand so I am not sure quite what you mean by Armenian denominations???

  10. #750
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Quote Originally Posted by RexCA View Post
    What do you mean by Armenian; generally when one says Armenian Christianity I generally think of Armenian as in the country Armenia such as the Armenian Apostolic Church which is part of the Oriental Orthodox Church or Armenian Catholic Church which is in line with the Catholic Church at large I don't think either of these is what you are referring to however as the "Church of God" is a protestant church with Pentecostal roots from what I understand so I am not sure quite what you mean by Armenian denominations???
    There were two contemporary theologians that had opposing views.

    Calvinism comes from the writings of John Calvin.
    Arminianism comes from the writings of Jacobus Arminius.
    RexCA likes this.

  11. #751
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Reformed theology is Calvinist.
    RexCA likes this.

  12. #752
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Some denominations are Reformed aka Calvinism.
    Some others are Arminian.
    Others have some adherence to one or the other.
    Baptists are partial Reformed for example.
    Some have nothing in common with the specific views.

    5 minute rule sucks at times when Googling something is required.
    Last edited by Endoscopy; 1 Week Ago at 03:55 AM.
    RexCA likes this.

  13. #753
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 1st, 2016
    Age
    20
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    Quote Originally Posted by Endoscopy View Post
    There were two contemporary theologians that had opposing views.

    Calvinism comes from the writings of John Calvin.
    Arminianism comes from the writings of Jacobus Arminius.
    ok I was actually aware that reformed was Calvinist and somewhat familiar with Jacob Arminius not familiar really at all with what he taught or what churches that follow him believe but the major reformers Calvin, Luther, etc I am fairly familiar with grew up Lutheran and most of my moms family is Baptist if I am not mistaking

  14. #754
    Senior Member Endoscopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2017
    Posts
    312
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    The simple answer to the thread topic is I have major disagreements with the Catholic Church.

  15. #755
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    29
    Posts
    196
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Do you know why you are a protestant???

    My bible teaches me to pray and confess my sins to only Jesus Christ, not to the virgin Mary, and certainly not to a priest whom, last i checked, was a man of sinful nature. RCC......yeah no gratzi!

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Similar Threads

  1. Protestant nun?
    By Crazylove in forum Christian Young Adults Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: January 13th, 2014, 05:13 AM
  2. Catholic - Protestant
    By jujitz in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 12th, 2013, 09:06 AM
  3. Protestant Nun
    By pvahey in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 19th, 2010, 11:01 AM
  4. Protestant Nun
    By RubberDuckie in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 10th, 2010, 11:23 PM
  5. why i am a protestant?
    By anita_raven87 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM