Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 176
Like Tree236Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: English Please!

  1. #1
    didymos
    Guest

    Exclamation English Please!

    So it's 'Jesus' and not 'Yeshua... '
    'the LORD' and not 'Yah, Yahweh, Jehovah' etc.

    Thank you.
    Nautilus likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member GandalfTheWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2015
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,366
    Rep Power
    72

    Default Re: English Please!

    I am somebody that use the name Yeshua (and Jesus). Why are you afraid of a name?

    In the Biblical times there was nothing wrong in having more than one name. One name was Hebrew, the other Greek... So unless your Greek is fluent you are using the wrong name for Yeshua. (just saying)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    20,125
    Rep Power
    231

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by didymos View Post
    So it's 'Jesus' and not 'Yeshua... '
    'the LORD' and not 'Yah, Yahweh, Jehovah' etc.

    Thank you.
    I agree with you. I wonder if people go up to the window at McDonalds, and order a cheeseburger in Hebrew. I feel the same way about the use of "Christianese" all the time.... when the words really are nothing more than semi-old Elizabethan English, not God's secret language.

    Although I am guilty of using "Ha Satan" to specifically indicate the evil power present in our lives.
    Last edited by Willie-T; August 18th, 2015 at 08:59 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,050
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: English Please!

    Explain "Ha Satan"?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Budman's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2014
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    I agree with you. I wonder if people go up to the window at McDonalds, and order a cheeseburger in Hebrew. I feel the same way about the use of "Christianese" all the time.... when the words really are nothing more than semi-old Elizabethan English, not God's secret language.

    Thou speaketh as a heratik!

  6. #6
    Senior Member GandalfTheWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2015
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,366
    Rep Power
    72

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    I agree with you. I wonder if people go up to the window at McDonalds, and order a cheeseburger in Hebrew. I feel the same way about the use of "Christianese" all the time.... when the words really are nothing more than semi-old Elizabethan English, not God's secret language.

    Although I am guilty of using "Ha Satan" to specifically indicate the evil power present in our lives.
    It would be interesting to know why you feel comfortable with the Greek name of Jesus but not His Hebrew name?
    JesusistheChrist likes this.

  7. #7
    Galahad
    Guest

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    I agree with you. I wonder if people go up to the window at McDonalds, and order a cheeseburger in Hebrew. I feel the same way about the use of "Christianese" all the time.... when the words really are nothing more than semi-old Elizabethan English, not God's secret language.

    Although I am guilty of using "Ha Satan" to specifically indicate the evil power present in our lives.
    All official traffic signs in California are in English. You will need to know English to understand the signs. But every Department of Motor Vehicles of California has tests for licenses in nearly every language under the sun.

  8. #8
    Galahad
    Guest

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheWhite View Post
    It would be interesting to know why you feel comfortable with the Greek name of Jesus but not His Hebrew name?
    What is the Hebrew name of Jesus? And where did those vowels come from? How do you say it without the vowels. It's all Hebrew to me.
    phil112 and Willie-T like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    20,125
    Rep Power
    231

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheWhite View Post
    It would be interesting to know why you feel comfortable with the Greek name of Jesus but not His Hebrew name?
    Simply because it is the name we all grew up with until someone told us it seemed more spiritual to use something else. The "cross" is one of the most important concepts of the Bible, but we all still simply call it "the cross", not a foreign word we discovered. I am sure neither the Hebrew nor the Greek words for "Heaven" are H-E-A-V-E-N, yet we call Heaven, Heaven.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  10. #10
    Galahad
    Guest

    Default Re: English Please!

    Oh shibboleth! Hope I said that right.
    crossnote and Utah like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member GandalfTheWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2015
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,366
    Rep Power
    72

    Default Re: English Please!

    The problem today is we have a Greek mind-set. We will say something like “we love you Lord” but then turn around and do something contradicting what we said. A perfect example is the fact that we all state we are Christian but it is one big CC brawl about scripture every day. This is contradicting scripture

    The Hebrew mind-set is “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son” or “if you love me keep my commandments”. There is an action attached to the statement.

    Jesus was a Jew. His Jewish (Hebrew) name is Yeshua. The action used in His name is Salvation. That is why I like to use the name Yeshua. If I tell you about Yeshua I tell you about Salvation. If you want to be politically correct you should name Jesus, Salvation because that is His English translated name...
    psalm6819 and Jonnah like this.

  12. #12
    Galahad
    Guest

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olerica View Post
    Explain "Ha Satan"?
    I suspect it's a substitute for vain use of God's name or cussing. Willie hits his thumb with a hammer, "Ha Satan!"
    Willie-T likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    20,125
    Rep Power
    231

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheWhite View Post
    The problem today is we have a Greek mind-set. We will say something like “we love you Lord” but then turn around and do something contradicting what we said. A perfect example is the fact that we all state we are Christian but it is one big CC brawl about scripture every day. This is contradicting scripture

    The Hebrew mind-set is “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son” or “if you love me keep my commandments”. There is an action attached to the statement.

    Jesus was a Jew. His Jewish (Hebrew) name is Yeshua. The action used in His name is Salvation. That is why I like to use the name Yeshua. If I tell you about Yeshua I tell you about Salvation. If you want to be politically correct you should name Jesus, Salvation because that is His English translated name...
    You mean, "Sozo" ?
    Angela53510 and psalm6819 like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  14. #14
    Senior Member GandalfTheWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2015
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,366
    Rep Power
    72

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    Simply because it is the name we all grew up with until someone told us it seemed more spiritual to use something else. The "cross" is one of the most important concepts of the Bible, but we all still simply call it "the cross", not a foreign word we discovered. I am sure neither the Hebrew nor the Greek words for "Heaven" are H-E-A-V-E-N, yet we call Heaven, Heaven.
    I understand this Willie, but why try to make something about nothing if people are calling Jesus by His Hebrew name? For you it is Jesus. Nothing wrong with it. This was Yeshua's Greek name and you are comfortable with it. I like Yeshua because of the meaning of the word and the blessing I preach every time I tell you about your salvation. Is it wrong of me?
    psalm6819 and KohenMatt like this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member phil112's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,885
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheWhite View Post
    I am somebody that use the name Yeshua (andJesus) .................................................. .......
    Does that some how make you more noble than everyone else?

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheWhite View Post
    It would be interesting to know why you feel comfortable with the Greek name of Jesus but not His Hebrew name?
    Jesus is not named in hebrew. Jesus ushered in a new dispensation for us, one that includes everyone. Jesus was a man. Where in the old testament was there a man named Jesus?
    You think that using a hebrew name somehow elevates your righteousness. That is not only asinine, it is stupid.
    Galahad likes this.
    If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

  16. #16


    BS
    BS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2015
    Age
    51
    Posts
    555
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by didymos View Post
    So it's 'Jesus' and not 'Yeshua... '
    'the LORD' and not 'Yah, Yahweh, Jehovah' etc.

    Thank you.
    I have not known that the names are translatable even in English... will check now

  17. #17
    Senior Member phil112's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,885
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheWhite View Post
    I understand this Willie, but why try to make something about nothing if people are calling Jesus by His Hebrew name? For you it is Jesus. Nothing wrong with it. This was Yeshua's Greek name and you are comfortable with it. I like Yeshua because of the meaning of the word and the blessing I preach every time I tell you about your salvation. Is it wrong of me?
    Yes.......
    If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

  18. #18


    BS
    BS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2015
    Age
    51
    Posts
    555
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    I have not known that the names are translatable even in English... will check now
    English is not sure about my name... what a problem!!!
    atwhatcost likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    20,125
    Rep Power
    231

    Default Re: English Please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olerica View Post
    Explain "Ha Satan"?
    This is the Jewish view.... and generally the only time I bother to use it is when I am addressing this concept, since we Christians see things differently. I have several Theologian friends who prefer to speak in specifics, so I humor them.
    ****************
    Judaism does not believe in the devil, but we do believe in Satan (who more properly should be called "the Satan"). As this demonstrates, the Jewish view of Satan is very different than the Christian one. Here's a summary of the Jewish view; you can also find information at Alyza (Gretchen) Shapiro's web site at http://www.geocities.com/alyzab/Jewish/satan.html

    The word satan means "challenger", "difficulty", or "distraction" (note that it is not a proper name). With the leading ha- to make haSatan, it refers to /the/ challenger. This describes Satan as the angel who is the embodiment of man's challenges. HaSatan works for G-d. His job is to make choosing good over evil enough of a challenge so that it can be a meaningful choice. In other words, haSatan is an angel whose mission it is to add difficulty, challenges, and growth experiences to life. Contrast this to Christianity, which sees Satan as God's opponent. In Jewish thought, the idea that there exists anything capable of setting itself up as God's opponent would be considered overly polytheistic—you are setting up the devil to be a god or demigod.

    The notion of an angel having free will is alien to Judaism. Free will requires the tension created by being a soul dwelling in a body. People can have free will, angels can't. There is a debate over whether they lack the potential for free will, or whether they simply percieve reality to clearly to have any choices to make. But in any case, without the fence-straddling of the human condition, there is no free will. HaSatan acts as a servant of God, not as an opponent or even disobediant child. Angels cannot sin, they cannot fall.

    For more on the Jewish conception of Satan, see http://www.geocities.com/~alyza/Jewish/satan.html.
    Olerica likes this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  20. #20
    Member Jonnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2015
    Age
    34
    Posts
    38
    Blog Entries
    27
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: English Please!

    Hello and God bless everyone. I decided to chime in on the topic The point of scripture isn't so much about how you pronounce a name, but more about the person of Jesus/Yeshua. However, there is much to be derived when studying the original languages of Paleo Hebrew and Greek. For instance, Yeshua is more an Aramaic pronunciation of the Paleo Hebrew name Yahushua. Yahushua translates to Joshua in the English. Understanding this, we can see some treasures in scripture not immediately evident in the English. For example, Moshe/Moses was an example of the Torah/Law and how it pointed to the promised land, but never actually took the Israelites into the promised land. It was Joshua/Yahushua who took the Israelites into the promised land; a similitude of Torah pointing to the need for salvation but only fulfilled in our Messiah Yahushua/Jesus.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. hello im English
    By sicbash in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 26th, 2015, 08:05 PM
  2. I here to be better in English
    By Practice-English in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: July 29th, 2015, 01:44 AM
  3. I can speak English
    By Timofree in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM
  4. NET: New English Translation.
    By Shwagga in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: November 28th, 2011, 09:59 PM
  5. i want to learn english
    By wendy in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 12th, 2011, 06:55 AM