Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Misnomers

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,238
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Misnomers

    1. People who believe that works play apart in their salvation are proud of themselves and take the credit away from Jesus and heap it on themselves.

    2. Only Fundamentalists really believe the Bible is true.

    3. Religious people are Pharisees

    4. People are saved according to doctrine.

    5. God makes the rules so He can break them as He pleases; He will never break his own rules to save a person who does not believe Jesus died for our sins.

    6. Acknowledging people's freedom to sin is the same as condoning it.

    7. Witnessing effectively does not require a relationship.

    8. Sanctification of the heart by Jesus requires a full understanding of His nature and intention in our lives.

    9. Recognizing personal sin in others is for the sole purpose of rooting the sin from our community

    10. The ends justify the means

  2. #2
    Senior Member phil36's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2009
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,158
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Misnomers

    And your point is?

    Taking your other posts into account, are you having a sarcastic Jab of all people who post on CC?

    phil
    Soli Deo Gloria

    "After all, there is a Protestantism still worth contending for, there is a Calvinism still worth proclaiming, and a gospel well worth dying for" - C H Spurgeon



    • "What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,238
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by phil36 View Post
    And your point is?

    Taking your other posts into account, are you having a sarcastic Jab of all people who post on CC?

    phil

    My point is straightforward. Those are 10 misnomers of my understanding of Christianity - nothing more.

  4. #4
    Senior Member phil36's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2009
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,158
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Misnomers



    Have a blessed day aspen

    Phil
    Soli Deo Gloria

    "After all, there is a Protestantism still worth contending for, there is a Calvinism still worth proclaiming, and a gospel well worth dying for" - C H Spurgeon



    • "What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,238
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    It is just dawning on me......

    This really did confuse me at the beginning, but now I think I finally understand

    The more I talk about sanctification and life as a Christian, the more resistance I get.....

    the more I have to hear about the differences between Catholicism and real Christianity (choke) and if that doesn't work, I get the 'you are undermining the faith of the CC community' or 'you are accusing us of all these things because we do not agree with you'

    how interesting

    I think it is time to started ignoring all questions about Catholicism.......they aren't questions anyway, they are only meant to derail or attack

    It leaves me wondering......why is talking about love so threatening?

  6. #6
    Mal316
    Guest

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Talk of love is threatening because love is threatening. Love threatens the self. It threatens the ego. Love forces us to take down the protective walls of doctrine, pride and idols we've shielded ourselves behind and reach out to others. Love is effort. It's work. It's not about feeling good or wishing someone well or even being willing to die for another person. For feeling, wishing and will are not love. Anybody can profess they love God and love their neighbor. Yet if they show hate for God and others by how they behave, the truth is not in them. Love is against that which we hold dear-doctrine, pride, idols. Therefore to talk of love is to talk against what we cherish. We're so certain we know the truth. We're so certain we're right that any deviation from what we know to be true and right must be squashed.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,238
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal316 View Post
    Talk of love is threatening because love is threatening. Love threatens the self. It threatens the ego. Love forces us to take down the protective walls of doctrine, pride and idols we've shielded ourselves behind and reach out to others. Love is effort. It's work. It's not about feeling good or wishing someone well or even being willing to die for another person. For feeling, wishing and will are not love. Anybody can profess they love God and love their neighbor. Yet if they show hate for God and others by how they behave, the truth is not in them. Love is against that which we hold dear-doctrine, pride, idols. Therefore to talk of love is to talk against what we cherish. We're so certain we know the truth. We're so certain we're right that any deviation from what we know to be true and right must be squashed.
    I love this post! It is exceptional, glorious, and enlightening.

  8. #8
    reality
    Guest

    Default Re: Misnomers

    where the heart is, so is the person. what is in the heart is what comes out of the mouth.

  9. #9
    shad
    Guest

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal316 View Post
    Talk of love is threatening because love is threatening. Love threatens the self. It threatens the ego. Love forces us to take down the protective walls of doctrine, pride and idols we've shielded ourselves behind and reach out to others. Love is effort. It's work. It's not about feeling good or wishing someone well or even being willing to die for another person. For feeling, wishing and will are not love. Anybody can profess they love God and love their neighbor. Yet if they show hate for God and others by how they behave, the truth is not in them. Love is against that which we hold dear-doctrine, pride, idols. Therefore to talk of love is to talk against what we cherish. We're so certain we know the truth. We're so certain we're right that any deviation from what we know to be true and right must be squashed.
    There are two many things in this post that are just not true about the love of God. If you really study 1Cor 13 and understand all that it is saying you would never make the statements that you have made. God is love and to separate any doctrine or knowledge from the love of God is to deny that the word became flesh or that Christ came in the flesh as a sacrifice for sin. We are to have a love that abounds in knowledge and judgment and to have a love that thinks no evil / 1Cor 13:6. How can your love think no evil without the word giving us God's thoughts. If a brother sins, love does not think evil but ministers grace to restore that brother without putting him on probation because his sin was paid for by the blood of Christ. Love that is not according to knowledge and judgment would not cover that brothers sin and would repeat it to others with no grace and forgiveness. They act this way toward their brother because they have no understating as to what Christ did to sin on the cross and their love is according to the flesh of man instead of grace and the knowledge of Jesus.

    Phil 1:9,10

    9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;
    10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ.

    We keep ourselves in the love of God by building ourselves up in the most holy faith / Jude 1:20.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,238
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    I am so glad that this is the topic of my 1000th post

    God calls us to love not judge.

    Our hearts are being sanctified by Christ to love and forgive our neighbors - just like Christ.

    This requires us to develop perspective taking skills - Christ is responsible for this.

    Personal sins in others that are visible to us are mirrors into our own spirits - it is merely a reflection of the sin in our lives that is being repressed or acted upon and needs forgiveness. The only reasons that we are bothered by others sins is because of fear or guilt.

    We are to love radically.

    We are only capable of witnessing correction of sin and supporting the sinner in their recovery. We are called to do this only when asked by the sinner.

    Recognizing sin in yourself is never achieved by outside correction - it needs to 'dawn' on you - you have to be convicted by the Holy Spirit or see the sin in a neighbor. IF your neighbor tries to point it out in you - you usually dismiss it or rationalize it away.

    Take driving for an example - we always have a good reason for driving poorly or in a reckless manner and we know everyone understands. However, we also know that everyone else is guilty of purposely and selfishly driving like idiots and we have no mercy.

    We are terminally narcissistic without the sanctification of the Holy Spirit.

  11. #11
    glenwood74
    Guest

    Default Re: Misnomers

    I agree with all of your misnomers except number 8. Sanctification grows as a true understanding of who Jesus truly is and what he truly desires of us (Love, obedience, Love, patience, Love, wisdom, Love....etc.) also grows. This has been true for me and for all of my friends and family who are Christian. Until the Holy Spirit works on pruning our sinful natures away, oh, wait, I see what you are saying now, that it is a work of God and not our finite understanding that makes us sanctified. Never mind....I agree with all of your misnomers!

    God bless!

  12. #12
    Senior Member machew's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    598
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by aspen View Post
    It is just dawning on me......

    This really did confuse me at the beginning, but now I think I finally understand

    The more I talk about sanctification and life as a Christian, the more resistance I get.....

    the more I have to hear about the differences between Catholicism and real Christianity (choke) and if that doesn't work, I get the 'you are undermining the faith of the CC community' or 'you are accusing us of all these things because we do not agree with you'

    how interesting

    I think it is time to started ignoring all questions about Catholicism.......they aren't questions anyway, they are only meant to derail or attack

    It leaves me wondering......why is talking about love so threatening?

    Yay! You are finally coming to this realization. There are many posts on here that when I see them, the only thing I can ask is "Why? What possible benefit is this thread to anyone?"

    For me personally, I am honored to be side by side in battle with you for the glory of Christ. You Love Jesus, He is your Lord and Savior, and you have devoted your life to Him. That's all I need to know that you are my brother in Christ. The other details aren't so important from heaven's perspective because God judges your heart. If you really believe you are following God and are doing things with the intention to honor and to be relationship with God, then God honors that even if it is not 100% correct. This applies to both the Protestant and Catholic sides. When an Earthly Father sees their child not do something 100% correct but knows they were well intentioned, do they ridicule their child an focus only on what they did wrong? Why do we feel that God is any different and not much better than us? (Matthew 7:9-11)


    I think Romans 14 sums this up pretty well how we should handle this kind of stuff (this applies to people on both sides, this is not to target either side but both should meditate on how this applies to our arguments and discussions):

    Romans 14(NASB)(emphasis mine)
    1Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. 2One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.
    3The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.
    4Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
    5One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike, Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
    6He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
    7For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;
    8for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.
    9For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
    10But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.
    11For it is written,
    "AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME,
    AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD."
    12So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.
    13Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this--not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way.
    14I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
    15For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died.
    16Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil;
    17for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
    18For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.
    19So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.
    20Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense.
    21It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles.
    22The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.
    23But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.


    So in other words, one person regards the 7 sacraments as Holy and unto God, one does not. Another regards a certain day Holy, the other does not. Another regards the sanctification process endorsed by their church the other doesn't. Do not cause your brother to stumble, because if he has any doubt in his mind about it, then it no longer is honored by God when they have doubt. God looks at the person's faith and their heart. Sure there may be biblical problems in each of our churches, but since when is anyone's church perfect? If the problem is with the church, then these kinds of disputes should only be directed towards the leadership of their church, lest you cause your brother to stumble, because they may have no where else to go, and if you bring about doubt in their devotion to God you are cursing them.
    Last edited by machew; March 11th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member phil36's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2009
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,158
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Yay! You are finally coming to this realization. There are many posts on here that when I see them, the only thing I can ask is "Why? What possible benefit is this thread to anyone?"
    And who started one of them?
    Soli Deo Gloria

    "After all, there is a Protestantism still worth contending for, there is a Calvinism still worth proclaiming, and a gospel well worth dying for" - C H Spurgeon



    • "What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by aspen View Post
    1. People who believe that works play apart in their salvation are proud of themselves and take the credit away from Jesus and heap it on themselves.

    2. Only Fundamentalists really believe the Bible is true.

    3. Religious people are Pharisees

    4. People are saved according to doctrine.

    5. God makes the rules so He can break them as He pleases; He will never break his own rules to save a person who does not believe Jesus died for our sins.

    6. Acknowledging people's freedom to sin is the same as condoning it.

    7. Witnessing effectively does not require a relationship.

    8. Sanctification of the heart by Jesus requires a full understanding of His nature and intention in our lives.

    9. Recognizing personal sin in others is for the sole purpose of rooting the sin from our community

    10. The ends justify the means
    I disagree with all of those...

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 19th, 2010
    Age
    30
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by phil36 View Post
    And your point is?

    Taking your other posts into account, are you having a sarcastic Jab of all people who post on CC?

    phil
    Why is it that it seems like every time Aspen posts, you act like he's posting for some underhanded, malicious purpose?

  16. #16
    Senior Member machew's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 2nd, 2009
    Age
    32
    Posts
    598
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by phil36 View Post
    And who started one of them?
    Wouldn't you like to know? I'm sorry I can't tell you lol

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,238
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by machew View Post
    Yay! You are finally coming to this realization. There are many posts on here that when I see them, the only thing I can ask is "Why? What possible benefit is this thread to anyone?"

    For me personally, I am honored to be side by side in battle with you for the glory of Christ. You Love Jesus, He is your Lord and Savior, and you have devoted your life to Him. That's all I need to know that you are my brother in Christ. The other details aren't so important from heaven's perspective because God judges your heart. If you really believe you are following God and are doing things with the intention to honor and to be relationship with God, then God honors that even if it is not 100% correct. This applies to both the Protestant and Catholic sides. When an Earthly Father sees their child not do something 100% correct but knows they were well intentioned, do they ridicule their child an focus only on what they did wrong? Why do we feel that God is any different and not much better than us? (Matthew 7:9-11)


    I think Romans 14 sums this up pretty well how we should handle this kind of stuff (this applies to people on both sides, this is not to target either side but both should meditate on how this applies to our arguments and discussions):

    Romans 14(NASB)(emphasis mine)
    1Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. 2One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.
    3The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.
    4Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
    5One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike, Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.
    6He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.
    7For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself;
    8for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.
    9For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.
    10But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.
    11For it is written,
    "AS I LIVE, SAYS THE LORD, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME,
    AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL GIVE PRAISE TO GOD."
    12So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.
    13Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this--not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way.
    14I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
    15For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died.
    16Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil;
    17for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
    18For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.
    19So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.
    20Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense.
    21It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles.
    22The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.
    23But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.


    So in other words, one person regards the 7 sacraments as Holy and unto God, one does not. Another regards a certain day Holy, the other does not. Another regards the sanctification process endorsed by their church the other doesn't. Do not cause your brother to stumble, because if he has any doubt in his mind about it, then it no longer is honored by God when they have doubt. God looks at the person's faith and their heart. Sure there may be biblical problems in each of our churches, but since when is anyone's church perfect? If the problem is with the church, then these kinds of disputes should only be directed towards the leadership of their church, lest you cause your brother to stumble, because they may have no where else to go, and if you bring about doubt in their devotion to God you are cursing them.
    You are a fiend and a brother to me!

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,238
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by ProudLibertarian View Post
    I disagree with all of those...
    Whoa! Really??? How interesting! I want to know more.....

    Oh I think you are saying that they are all false statements - I understand now

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2010
    Age
    26
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by aspen View Post

    Oh I think you are saying that they are all false statements - I understand now
    In my opinion, they are false statements.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2010
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,238
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Misnomers

    Quote Originally Posted by ProudLibertarian View Post
    In my opinion, they are false statements.
    yes....they are misnomers.....false statements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast