Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    I would be interested to know if people believe from reading the New Testament whether they believe it is comprehensively preached in the church they belong to. Or do you sometimes feel that parts of the Bible message you have read in scripture are not preached from the pulpit

  2. #2
    Administrator 1still_waters's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2006
    Posts
    7,719
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    What do you consider the 'full gospel'?

    I'm still not Batman, NSA, or CIA. Have you seen my grammar?

  3. #3
    Senior Member DinoDillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2009
    Age
    33
    Posts
    827
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    From listening to my pastor preach you wouldn't know there is one lost soul in the building, but hey Easter is coming up, so I'm bringing my popcorn.

  4. #4
    Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heresy]
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2009
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,272
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    My Church does. Heck, at every single service there is a reading from one of the Gospels. Without fail.

  5. #5
    Senior Member phil36's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2009
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,158
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    I think the question would be more of the line is there teaching with understanding, not just reading?

    Unfortunatley good teaching is getting less and less, it seems to be more about, the me me me and what gifts I can get.

    You just have to switch on the, dare I say it 'Christian Channels' and you can watch a whole hour os some pastor telling everyone, to shout and yell, scream to God, ask and you will get, sow a seed and you will get that house, sow a seed and your cancer is gone, sow a seed and all your worries dissappear, and thats the sum of their gospel...

    I would say not a gospel at all.
    Soli Deo Gloria

    "After all, there is a Protestantism still worth contending for, there is a Calvinism still worth proclaiming, and a gospel well worth dying for" - C H Spurgeon



    • "What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Quote Originally Posted by dscherck View Post
    My Church does. Heck, at every single service there is a reading from one of the Gospels. Without fail.
    Have you ever had a sermon on Rom7:7-11 KJV If you haven't why not ask the minister why?

  7. #7
    Senior Member kujo313's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2009
    Age
    50
    Posts
    489
    Rep Power
    6

    Smile Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Every Sunday and Thursday! We went through Matthew (took a few years). Now, we're in 1 Corinthians.
    We learn about what the author meant back when it was written and what it means to us today. Truly "Full" Gospel!

  8. #8
    Jordan9
    Guest

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Yep, grounded in Scripture, Tradition, and history. I don't have to check my brain or my logic at the door, and I leave fulfilled spiritually and mentally. Our Saviour is great and so is His Good News for us!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2009
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,557
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    I feel for a church to teach the full gospel, it has to teach the old and the new with their relationship towards eachother.

  10. #10
    lighthousejohn
    Guest

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Quote Originally Posted by livingbygrace View Post
    I would be interested to know if people believe from reading the New Testament whether they believe it is comprehensively preached in the church they belong to. Or do you sometimes feel that parts of the Bible message you have read in scripture are not preached from the pulpit
    The full gospel. To charismatics; it inludes the manifestaion of the Holy Spirit with demontstrable gifts being given.

    The term full gospel is misleading, I believe what you are asking is "Does your church preach the entire Bible"?

    I preach the full Bible, preferring to preach extemporaneously as opposed to going through the Bible verse by verse. I have preached both the love and the wrath of God. I have preached salvation by faith through grace as the only way to God. Ihave also preached the rewards of rejecting God's love.

    I preach the power of the Holy Spirit as being active in the Old Testament and the New. I also preach that He is active today and so are His power although I believe that the church has made Him a benign force today.

    A fully balanced approach to preaching God's word is, in my opinion, the right way to preach.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Quote Originally Posted by lighthousejohn View Post
    The full gospel. To charismatics; it inludes the manifestaion of the Holy Spirit with demontstrable gifts being given.

    The term full gospel is misleading, I believe what you are asking is "Does your church preach the entire Bible"?

    I preach the full Bible, preferring to preach extemporaneously as opposed to going through the Bible verse by verse. I have preached both the love and the wrath of God. I have preached salvation by faith through grace as the only way to God. Ihave also preached the rewards of rejecting God's love.

    I preach the power of the Holy Spirit as being active in the Old Testament and the New. I also preach that He is active today and so are His power although I believe that the church has made Him a benign force today.

    A fully balanced approach to preaching God's word is, in my opinion, the right way to preach.
    I would firstly like to say that from being blessed by reading your comments I believe you to be a Christian who has undoubtedly helped and encouraged a great many people in your life

    As you preach I will explain why I asked this question. Can you tell me if the following verses are regularly preached in church today?

    Rom7:5-11 Gal3:23-25

    Rom3:20 Gal3:19

    Rom10:4 Rom5:18

    Rom4:6

    Rom3:28

    Rom3:31

    Rom4:14&15

    Gal3:10&11

    Rom5:20

    Rom6:14 and Rom6:15&16 I do believe in balance

    Rom9:30-32

    1Cor15:56

    I could add a lot more to that, but for now I won't. The reason I ask this is because those verses along with many others are the key to a new Christian being victorious over sin in their life So they are most important for the new believer to understand. Now in England I have never heard any of them preached on, and expounded.
    I must be honest, this is the heart of the message the Apostle Paul was led to preach of grace. If these verses are seldom preached, why is this?
    I had to read the Bible for myself before I knew of such verses as these because the born again church I went to never preached on them. Are these vital truths regularly preached? Or is it the same as it was then?

    I probably should add, that trying to obey law is the same as trying to be 'good enough'

  12. #12
    Senior Member QuestionTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Quote Originally Posted by livingbygrace View Post
    I would be interested to know if people believe from reading the New Testament whether they believe it is comprehensively preached in the church they belong to. Or do you sometimes feel that parts of the Bible message you have read in scripture are not preached from the pulpit
    I have never found a church that preached what I believe to be the true gospel - in full. Bits and pieces here, bits and pieces there.

    Quest
    Acts 26:18 "to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

  13. #13
    lighthousejohn
    Guest

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Quote Originally Posted by livingbygrace View Post
    I would firstly like to say that from being blessed by reading your comments I believe you to be a Christian who has undoubtedly helped and encouraged a great many people in your life

    As you preach I will explain why I asked this question. Can you tell me if the following verses are regularly preached in church today?

    Rom7:5-11 Gal3:23-25

    Rom3:20 Gal3:19

    Rom10:4 Rom5:18

    Rom4:6

    Rom3:28

    Rom3:31

    Rom4:14&15

    Gal3:10&11

    Rom5:20

    Rom6:14 and Rom6:15&16 I do believe in balance

    Rom9:30-32

    1Cor15:56

    I could add a lot more to that, but for now I won't. The reason I ask this is because those verses along with many others are the key to a new Christian being victorious over sin in their life So they are most important for the new believer to understand. Now in England I have never heard any of them preached on, and expounded.
    I must be honest, this is the heart of the message the Apostle Paul was led to preach of grace. If these verses are seldom preached, why is this?
    I had to read the Bible for myself before I knew of such verses as these because the born again church I went to never preached on them. Are these vital truths regularly preached? Or is it the same as it was then?

    I probably should add, that trying to obey law is the same as trying to be 'good enough'
    I will get back to you as soon as possible.

  14. #14
    lighthousejohn
    Guest

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Quote Originally Posted by livingbygrace View Post
    I would firstly like to say that from being blessed by reading your comments I believe you to be a Christian who has undoubtedly helped and encouraged a great many people in your life

    As you preach I will explain why I asked this question. Can you tell me if the following verses are regularly preached in church today?

    Rom7:5-11 5For when we were controlled by the sinful nature,[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. 6But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.
    Struggling With Sin
    7What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."[b]8But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. 9Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.
    11For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death.
    Gal3:23-25 23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ[h] that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

    Rom3:20
    20Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.
    Gal3:19 19What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator.

    Rom10:4
    4Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
    Rom5:18 18Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.

    Rom4:6
    6David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

    Rom3:28
    28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

    Rom3:31
    31Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law.

    Rom4:14&15
    14For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, 15because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

    Gal3:10&11
    10All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."[c]11Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."

    Rom5:20
    10All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."[c]11Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."

    Rom6:14
    14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.
    and Rom6:15&16 I do believe in balance 15What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

    Rom9:30-32
    30What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. 32Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the "stumbling stone."
    1Cor15:56 56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law

    I could add a lot more to that, but for now I won't. The reason I ask this is because those verses along with many others are the key to a new Christian being victorious over sin in their life So they are most important for the new believer to understand. Now in England I have never heard any of them preached on, and expounded.
    I must be honest, this is the heart of the message the Apostle Paul was led to preach of grace. If these verses are seldom preached, why is this?
    I had to read the Bible for myself before I knew of such verses as these because the born again church I went to never preached on them. Are these vital truths regularly preached? Or is it the same as it was then?

    I probably should add, that trying to obey law is the same as trying to be 'good enough'
    Although I have used some of these verses in my sermons, they are generally taught in Sunday school or religous education classes. Our church had a new believers class which used some of these verses.

    I am in agreement with you that they need to be taught from the pulpit as well as in classes.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Quote Originally Posted by lighthousejohn View Post
    Although I have used some of these verses in my sermons, they are generally taught in Sunday school or religous education classes. Our church had a new believers class which used some of these verses.

    I am in agreement with you that they need to be taught from the pulpit as well as in classes.
    Thanks for your reply. Actually I believe that Rom7:5-11 is hugely important for the new Christian to understand. It is so easy for us to fall into the mindset of trying to be good enough to please God, which always really means obeying His good laws. If those verses are truly understood and accepted I believe people would more be prepared to live by faith in Christ and take their eyes off themselves.

    It may not seem to a human mind that we can have God's blessings simply by trusting in his son, but that surely is where the victory comes from in our lives.

    Paul said that we get everything from God we want not by trying to be good enough but by trusting Christ, and it is by trusting him and living by faith in him we actually uphold the good laws of God he would have us keep

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2009
    Age
    46
    Posts
    912
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Preaching the full Bible is very good. One other thing that is lacking in most churches is the how to live a victorious life, some churches tell you to be good and loving and anything else you can think of but they leave the how to and why we can out of it.

    I love going to church but I hate wasting my time listening to a so called sermon that tells me to pat myself on the back and not challenge me and give me the how and why I can live a victorious life.
    No longer Giant one or small one, i'm just me.

    I've always depended upon the kindness of strangers rallly I have.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    [quote=giantone;276995]Preaching the full Bible is very good. One other thing that is lacking in most churches is the how to live a victorious life, some churches tell you to be good and loving and anything else you can think of but they leave the how to and why we can out of it.


    Thank you for this post. This goes to the heart of why I asked my initial question. If people join a church and are told the good lives they have to live, but are not told Biblically how this is to be achieved, who will God be most displeased with? The person who cannot be free of their sin? Or the church for not explaining how?

  18. #18
    Senior Member QuestionTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Quote Originally Posted by giantone View Post
    Preaching the full Bible is very good. One other thing that is lacking in most churches is the how to live a victorious life, some churches tell you to be good and loving and anything else you can think of but they leave the how to and why we can out of it.
    Any man from any religion can preach that we ought to be good. Even the most evil men in this world can preach good behavior from the pulpit. However, only a very few righteous men actually tell us how we might live a victorious life, because only those few actually know how.

    However, the reason the people keep coming back to these false churches is because they are told what the flesh wants to hear. Their flesh wants to be self-righteous before God and these people get their pep talk and go on with their battle. Either that or people are so content to remain in their sin that they love comparing the good in themselves to what the pastor preaches so that they think they are on the narrow way to life, when they are clearly on the broad way to the pit. These people also go to church cause they think they are buying their way into heaven.

    Quest
    Last edited by QuestionTime; March 27th, 2010 at 02:24 AM.
    Acts 26:18 "to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    [quote=QuestionTime;277540]Any man from any religion can preach that we ought to be good. Even the most evil men in this world can preach good behavior from the pulpit. However, only a very few righteous men actually tell us how we might live a victorious life, because only those few actually know how.

    However, the reason the people keep coming back to these false churches is because they are told what the flesh wants to hear. Their flesh wants to be self-righteous before God and these people get their pep talk and go on with their battle. Either that or people are so content to remain in their sin that they love comparing the good in themselves to what the pastor preaches so that they think they are on the narrow way to life,

    Although it pains me to say it, I completely agree with what you say. I believe many who preach do not understand how true victory is achieved, and some are afraid of the persecution they would get if they did preached it.
    One verse keeps coming to my mind and I believe says much on this subject.

    Not having a righteousness of my own(self righteousness) that comes from the law, but that which is by faith in Christ. The righteousness that is from God and comes by faith. Phil3:9

  20. #20
    Senior Member QuestionTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2010
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: Does Your Church Preach The Full Gospel?

    Quote Originally Posted by livingbygrace View Post
    Although it pains me to say it, I completely agree with what you say.
    Just humble yourself and agree. I've gotta be right sometimes, correct and incorrect are a 50/50 coin flip afterall!

    Quest
    Last edited by QuestionTime; March 28th, 2010 at 12:08 AM.
    Acts 26:18 "to open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Promoting Half-truth
    By aspen in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
  2. Narrow Road Ministries plea to all
    By holyman in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
  3. What IS Church?
    By Ryan1976 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 12th, 2009, 12:02 AM
  4. So many churches, so little effect!!!!!
    By Aliciaforjesus in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: June 1st, 2009, 12:25 AM
  5. Women Preachers.
    By snoboarder in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 200
    Last Post: January 8th, 2009, 09:36 PM