Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 860 of 1010
Like Tree913Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

  1. #841
    Senior Member star's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 8th, 2017
    Age
    71
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Swallowing at camel and straining at a gnat.
    preacher4truth likes this.
    "To err is human; to forgive divine."

  2. #842
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    47,394
    Rep Power
    295

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Actually it says that if you are entrusting yourself to him (believing) then you will never perish . . .
    that makes no sense,

    We can not never perish, if we can still perish

    We can not have eternal life, If we can die again.

    Thus, you either have to twist the words used (never and eternal) and make them not mean what they mean,

    or you have to take them literally

    If God did not want us to take it literally, he would have told us.

    it would look something like this, “For God so lived the world that he gave his only begotten son that whoever is currently believing in him has a chance to not perish, and maybe will have eternal life.,

    Sorry, I can not buy this present te4nse thing for many reasons
    stonesoffire and MarcR like this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  3. #843
    Senior Member Sagart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2017
    Age
    46
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    So when one is “born again” and is past from death to “life” that “life” being called “eternal” it can be lost?

    When does “eternal” stop being “eternal”?
    John 3:36. “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” (NASB, 1995)

    John 3:36..ὁ πιστεύων εἰς τὸν υἱὸν ἔχει ζωὴν αἰώνιον· ὁ δὲ ἀπειθῶν τῷ υἱῷ οὐκ ὄψεται ζωήν, ἀλλ’ ἡ ὀργὴ τοῦ θεοῦ μένει ἐπ’ αὐτόν. (Nestle-Aland Greek text, 28th Edition)

    The Greek word translated as “believes” is “πιστεύων,” a present active participle—a verbal adjective that is here modifying the singular masculine pronoun, ὁ (he), expressing what “he” is currently doing in a continuous rather than momentary sense. Remember that this present active participle is a Greek rather than English present active participle and functions accordingly.

    The Greek word translated as “has” is “ἔχει,” a verb in the Greek present tense and the indicative mood expressing current, continuous possession. All Greek present active participles, and all Greek verbs in the active voice and the indicative mood express current, continuous action with the emphasis on the aspect of the action rather than on the time of the action. Of critical importance in interpreting John 3:36 (and similar verses in the present tense) is the fact that the verse emphasizes that the possession of eternal life is dependent upon continuous belief and obedience!

    The Greek word translated as “obey” is “ἀπειθῶν,” a present active participle—a verbal adjective that is here modifying the singular masculine pronoun, ὁ (he), expressing what “he” is currently doing in a continuous rather than momentary sense.

    The life given to Christians is the eternal life of Christ, but our possession of that life is conditional upon our remaining in Christ through our continued faith in, and obedience to, Christ. We possess that life only in the sense that we are “in Christ” (Romans 6:23) who is the way, the truth, and the life. Those Christians who choose to depart from the way, the truth, and the life are free to do so. Jesus came into this world to save us from sins (Matt. 1:21), as a free gift. This free gift did not require that we give up our free will, and Jesus was not such a thief as to steal our free will from us!

    If a Christian has, as an act of his free will, “trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace,” (Heb. 10:29) and has returned to his sins, what is he/she saved from?

  4. #844
    Senior Member Sagart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2017
    Age
    46
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Let's examine James 2:14-26.

    In James 2:14, we read of one who says/claims he has faith but has no works (to validate his claim). That is not genuine faith, but a bare profession of faith. So when James asks, "Can that faith save him?" he is saying nothing against genuine faith, but only against an empty profession of faith/dead faith. *So James does not teach that we are saved "by" works. His concern is to show the reality of the faith professed by the individual (James 2:18) and demonstrate that the faith claimed (James 2:14) by the individual is genuine. Simple!

    In James 2:19, we see that the demons believe "mental assent" that "there is one God" but they do not believe/entrust their spiritual well being to Christ; have faith/reliance upon Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31) and are not saved. Their trust and reliance is in Satan, as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works.

    In James 2:20, "faith without works is dead" does not mean that faith is dead until it produces works and then it becomes a living faith or that works are the source of life in faith. That's like saying a tree is dead until it produces fruit and then it becomes a living tree and the fruit is the source of life in the tree. James is simply saying faith that is not accompanied by evidential works is dead. If someone says-claims he has faith but lacks resulting evidential works, then he has an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith.

    In James 2:21, notice closely that James does not say that Abraham's work of offering up Isaac resulted in God's accounting Abraham as righteous. The accounting of Abraham's faith as righteousness was made in Genesis 15:6, many years before his work of offering up Isaac recorded in Genesis 22. The work of Abraham did not have some kind of intrinsic merit to save him, but it proved or manifested the genuineness of his faith. This is the sense in which Abraham was justified by works. He was "shown to be righteous."

    In James 2:22, faith made perfect or complete by works means bring to maturity, carry to the end, to complete like love in 1 John 4:18. It doesn't mean that Abraham was finally saved based on merits of his works after he offered up Isaac on the altar in Genesis 22. When Abraham performed the good work in Genesis 22; he fulfilled the expectations created by the pronouncement of his faith in Genesis 15:6.

    In James 2:23, the scripture was fulfilled in vindicating or demonstrating that Abraham believed God and was accounted as righteous. Abraham was accounted as righteous based on his faith (Genesis 15:6) not his works (Romans 4:2-3) long before he offered up Isaac on the altar in Genesis 22.

    In James 2:24, James is not using the word "justified" here to mean "accounted as righteous" but is "shown to be righteous." James is discussing the proof/evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18), not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God (Romans 4:2-3). Works bear out the justification that already came by faith.

    In the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, the Greek word for justified "dikaioo" #1344 is:

    1. to render righteous or such he ought to be
    2. to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered
    3. to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

    In Matthew 12:37, we read - "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." This is because our words (and our works) reveal the condition of our hearts. Words/works will appear to be evidences for, or against a man's being in a state of righteousness.

    God is said to have been justified by those who were baptized by John the Baptist (Luke 7:29). This act pronounced or declared God to be righteous. It did not make him righteous. The basis or ground for the pronouncement was the fact that God IS righteous. Notice that the NIV reads, "acknowledged that God's way was right.." The ESV reads, "they declared God just.." This is the sense in which God was justified, "shown to be righteous".

    Matthew 11:19 "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners!' Yet wisdom is justified/vindicated/shown to be right by her deeds."

    In James 2:25, Rahab believed in the Lord with authentic faith (Joshua 2:9-13), requested "kindness" (2:12), received the promise of kindness (2:14), and hung out the "scarlet line" (2:21), as the demonstration of her authentic faith. She showed that her faith in God was not a dead faith by her works, just as all genuine believers show theirs.

    In James 2:26, the comparison of the human spirit and faith converges around their modes of operation. The spirit (Greek pneuma) may also be translated "breath." As a breathless body emits no indication of life, so fruitless faith exhibits no indication of life. The source of the life in faith is not works; rather, life in faith is the source of works (Ephesians 2:5-10).

    In a nutshell, man is saved through faith and not by works (Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9); yet genuine faith is vindicated, substantiated, evidenced by works (James 2:14-26). Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption "alone" and not based on the merits of our works. It is through faith "in Christ alone" (and not by the merits of our works) that we are justified on account of Christ (Romans 3:24; 5:1; 5:9); yet the faith that justifies is never alone (solitary, unfruitful, barren) if it is genuine (James 2:14-26). *Perfect Harmony*

    In Colossians 1:23, we read - ..if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister. The word "if" here is not ean, an unfulfilled, hypothetical condition used with the subjunctive mode, presenting the possibility of a future realization, but ei with the indicative, having here the idea of "assuming that you continue in the faith."

    That is, continuance would show that the person's faith was firmly rooted and established in the hope of the gospel and they really HAVE BEEN reconciled. The form of this phrase in Greek (using the Gk. particle ei and the indicative mood of the verb epimenō) indicates that Paul fully expects that the Colossian believers will continue in the faith; no doubt is expressed, yet what about "nominal" Christians whose shallow, temporary belief withers away? They believed in vain -- without purpose, to no effect.

    It's only natural that Paul would speak this way, for he is addressing groups of people who profess to be Christians, without being able to know the actual state of every person's heart. How can Paul avoid giving them false assurance here that they will be eternally saved when in fact they may not? Paul knows that faith which is firmly grounded and established in the gospel from the start will continue. Those who continue in the faith show thereby that they are genuine believers. But those who do not continue show that their shallow, vain faith was not rooted and established in the gospel to begin with.

    Amen!

    1 John 1:8 - If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us. 1 John 2:1 - My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

    John 17:12 - While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. John 18:9 - that the saying might be fulfilled which He spoke, "Of those whom You gave Me I have lost none." Jesus did not lose Judas. Judas was already lost. Judas was an unbelieving, unclean devil who would betray Jesus (John 6:64-71; 13:10-11).

    Syllogism

    1. All given by the Father to Jesus are kept.
    2. Judas was not kept.
    3. Judas was not given to Jesus by the Father

    Or, this way.

    1. None of those given to Jesus by the Father will be lost by Jesus.
    2. Judas is lost.
    3. Judas was not given to Jesus by the Father.
    Denying that James really meant what he wrote is denying the word of God. Moreover, using what Paul wrote to interpret what James wrote makes no more sense than using what James wrote to interpret what Paul wrote! What abysmally ridiculous nonsense!

  5. #845
    Senior Member Sagart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2017
    Age
    46
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    In Colossians 1:23, we read - ..if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister. The word "if" here is not ean, an unfulfilled, hypothetical condition used with the subjunctive mode, presenting the possibility of a future realization, but ei with the indicative, having here the idea of "assuming that you continue in the faith."

    That is, continuance would show that the person's faith was firmly rooted and established in the hope of the gospel and they really HAVE BEEN reconciled. The form of this phrase in Greek (using the Gk. particle ei and the indicative mood of the verb epimenō) indicates that Paul fully expects that the Colossian believers will continue in the faith; no doubt is expressed, yet what about "nominal" Christians whose shallow, temporary belief withers away? They believed in vain -- without purpose, to no effect.
    Colossians 1: 21. Καὶ ὑμᾶς ποτε ὄντας ἀπηλλοτριωμένους καὶ ἐχθροὺς τῇ διανοίᾳ ἐν τοῖς ἔργοις τοῖς πονηροῖς,
    22. νυνὶ δὲ ἀποκατήλλαξεν ἐν τῷ σώματι τῆς σαρκὸς αὐτοῦ διὰ τοῦ θανάτου παραστῆσαι ὑμᾶς ἁγίους καὶ ἀμώμους καὶ ἀνεγκλήτους κατενώπιον αὐτοῦ,
    23. εἴ γε ἐπιμένετε τῇ πίστει τεθεμελιωμένοι καὶ ἑδραῖοι καὶ μὴ μετακινούμενοι ἀπὸ τῆς ἐλπίδος τοῦ εὐαγγελίου οὗ ἠκούσατε, τοῦ κηρυχθέντος ἐν πάσῃ κτίσει τῇ ὑπὸ τὸν οὐρανόν, οὗ ἐγενόμην ἐγὼ Παῦλος διάκονος.

    On this passage, James D. G. Dunn writes,

    The confidence in the effectiveness of the divine provision made for those estranged from God by their evil and for the blameworthy by Christ’s death is qualified by matching emphasis on human responsibility. Such emphasis on the need for persistence in Christian belief and conduct is a regular feature in Paul (e.g., Rom. 8:3, 13, 17; 11:22; 1 Cor. 9:27; 10:11-12; Gal. 5:4) and should not be ignored. Εἴ γε may denote confidence more than doubt (cf. its use in 2 Cor. 5:3; Eph. 3:2; 4:21), but final acceptance is nevertheless dependent on remaining in the faith.1

    1Dunn, James D. G. The Epistles to the Colossians and to Philemon. A Commentary on the Greek Text. The New International Greek Testament Commentary series. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1996.

  6. #846
    Senior Member Sagart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2017
    Age
    46
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    1 Jn 5:11-13
    11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
    12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
    13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
    KJV


    11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

    hath given AAI This is the closest Greek equivalent to our English past tense. Admittedly there is not an exact correspondence.

    The sense is definitely that we are in possession of eternal life at the time of Salvation.

    If we possess eternal life at any time; it can not be lost or it was not eternal when we had it.
    1 John 5:11. καὶ αὕτη ἐστὶν ἡ μαρτυρία, ὅτι ζωὴν αἰώνιον ἔδωκεν ἡμῖν ὁ θεός, καὶ αὕτη ἡ ζωὴ ἐν τῷ υἱῷ αὐτοῦ ἐστιν. 12. ὁ ἔχων τὸν υἱὸν ἔχει τὴν ζωήν· ὁ μὴ ἔχων τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ θεοῦ τὴν ζωὴν οὐκ ἔχει. 13. Ταῦτα ἔγραψα ὑμῖν, ἵνα εἰδῆτε ὅτι ζωὴν ἔχετε αἰώνιον, τοῖς πιστεύουσιν εἰς τὸ ὄνομα τοῦ υἱοῦ τοῦ θεοῦ.

    1 John 5:11. And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
    12. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.


    Epilogue

    13. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life. (NRSV)

    The Greek word translated in v. 11 as “hath given” or “gave” is the verb ἔδωκεν (lexical form = δίδωμι) which here is in the Greek aorist tense and the indicative mood expressing action at a point of time in the past, with the emphasis being that the action was punctiliar.

    Therefore, the sense is definitely that we were given eternal life at a point of time in the past—that point in time corresponding to the point in time when we were initially justified by faith.

    The life given to Christians is the eternal life of Christ, but our possession of that life is conditional upon our remaining in Christ through our continued faith in, and obedience to, Christ. We possess that life only in the sense that we are “in Christ” (Romans 6:23) who is the way, the truth, and the life. Those Christians who choose to depart from the way, the truth, and the life are free to do so. Jesus came into this world to save us from sins (Matt. 1:21), as a free gift. This free gift did not require that we give up our free will, and Jesus was not such a thief as to steal our free will from us!

  7. #847
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    47,394
    Rep Power
    295

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagart View Post
    John 3:36. “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” (NASB, 1995)

    John 3:36..ὁ πιστεύων εἰς τὸν υἱὸν ἔχει ζωὴν αἰώνιον· ὁ δὲ ἀπειθῶν τῷ υἱῷ οὐκ ὄψεται ζωήν, ἀλλ’ ἡ ὀργὴ τοῦ θεοῦ μένει ἐπ’ αὐτόν. (Nestle-Aland Greek text, 28th Edition)

    The Greek word translated as “believes” is “πιστεύων,” a present active participle—a verbal adjective that is here modifying the singular masculine pronoun, ὁ (he), expressing what “he” is currently doing in a continuous rather than momentary sense. Remember that this present active participle is a Greek rather than English present active participle and functions accordingly.

    The Greek word translated as “has” is “ἔχει,” a verb in the Greek present tense and the indicative mood expressing current, continuous possession. All Greek present active participles, and all Greek verbs in the active voice and the indicative mood express current, continuous action with the emphasis on the aspect of the action rather than on the time of the action. Of critical importance in interpreting John 3:36 (and similar verses in the present tense) is the fact that the verse emphasizes that the possession of eternal life is dependent upon continuous belief and obedience!

    The Greek word translated as “obey” is “ἀπειθῶν,” a present active participle—a verbal adjective that is here modifying the singular masculine pronoun, ὁ (he), expressing what “he” is currently doing in a continuous rather than momentary sense.

    The life given to Christians is the eternal life of Christ, but our possession of that life is conditional upon our remaining in Christ through our continued faith in, and obedience to, Christ. We possess that life only in the sense that we are “in Christ” (Romans 6:23) who is the way, the truth, and the life. Those Christians who choose to depart from the way, the truth, and the life are free to do so. Jesus came into this world to save us from sins (Matt. 1:21), as a free gift. This free gift did not require that we give up our free will, and Jesus was not such a thief as to steal our free will from us!

    If a Christian has, as an act of his free will, “trampled under foot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace,” (Heb. 10:29) and has returned to his sins, what is he/she saved from?
    Then when Jesus said they would NEVER perish, and HAS ETERNAL LIFE, Jesus lied. And was being deceptive.

    Go ahead and follow a deceptive God. I wish you luck.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  8. #848
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    51
    Posts
    12,705
    Rep Power
    310

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagart View Post
    Denying that James really meant what he wrote is denying the word of God. Moreover, using what Paul wrote to interpret what James wrote makes no more sense than using what James wrote to interpret what Paul wrote! What abysmally ridiculous nonsense!
    Interpreting scripture IN CONTEXT and properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is not denying the word of God. I can see the truth that I shared with you in post #808 just went right over your head.
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  9. #849
    Senior Member trofimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2015
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,821
    Rep Power
    118

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagart View Post
    The life given to Christians is the eternal life of Christ, but our possession of that life is conditional upon our remaining in Christ through our continued faith in, and obedience to, Christ.
    I agree that our life in Christ is dependent on our remaing in Christ. Its nothing but a simple logic and truth.

    On the other hand I believe that God elected some individuals and the He preserves those individuals by giving them always what they need to have to continue in Christ.

    And only those individuals are really saved, the ones who believe for a while and then step back were never saved. Its not that they got their salvation and then lost it.
    mailmandan and preacher4truth like this.
    Do not be worried about many things - only one thing is needed (Lk 10:41-42).

  10. #850
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,517
    Rep Power
    136

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by trofimus View Post
    I agree that our life in Christ is dependent on our remaing in Christ. Its nothing but a simple logic and truth.

    On the other hand I believe that God elected some individuals and the He preserves those individuals by giving them always what they need to have to continue in Christ.

    And only those individuals are really saved, the ones who believe for a while and then step back were never saved. Its not that they got their salvation and then lost it.
    This truth will not stop them though. They will continue to count goats, hogs and dogs as sheep.
    mailmandan likes this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    Open Theism and Molinism, two inept theological camps, do err in this sense; God doesn't have an R&D department, He does all things perfectly.

  11. #851
    Senior Member Sagart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2017
    Age
    46
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    Then when Jesus said they would NEVER perish, and HAS ETERNAL LIFE, Jesus lied. And was being deceptive.

    Go ahead and follow a deceptive God. I wish you luck.
    Proponents of the doctrine of eternal security like to quote John 10:27-29 out of context and totally miss the assertion that Jesus was making about Himself—the very assertion that got Him crucified!

    27. “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
    28. and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
    29. “My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.” (NASB, 1995)


    Here it is in context,

    22. At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place at Jerusalem;
    23. it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon.
    24. The Jews then gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
    25. Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me.
    26. “But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep.
    27. “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
    28. and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
    29. “My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
    30. “I and the Father are one.” (NASB, 1995)


    In this passage, Jesus is asserting his deity. The importance of the words in verse 28 all but escapes the attention of many readers. Compare these two passages:

    Isa. 43:13. “Even from eternity I am He, And there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?” (NASB, 1995)

    Wisdom 3:1. But the souls of the just are in the hand of God,
    and no torment shall touch them. (NAB, 1986)


    Jesus is telling the Jews that His hand is the hand of God, and that, therefore, He is God! But notice that there is nothing at all in any of these three verses that says that anyone is grasped in the hand of God so that he cannot escape if he wants to. The point is that it is the hand of God, and being the hand of God there is safety. Those who are in the hand of God are in Christ, and in Christ is the eternal life—and no where else! Anyone who chooses either actively or passively to depart from the Christian faith departs from Christ and necessarily departs from the life that is in Christ. Just as we possess the safety of God only while we abide in Christ, we possess the life of Christ only while we abide in Him. Eternal life is Christ’s life and we posses it only in Him. The Greek adjective translated ‘eternal’ modifies the Greek noun translated ‘life,’ and thus describes not our possession of the life, but the life itself—the life of Christ that we share with Him when we are in Him.

    The context of Isa. 43:13, quoted above, is important to the understanding of that verse and John 10:27-29.

    1. But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!
    2. “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you.
    3. “For I am the LORD your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I have given Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in your place.
    4. “Since you are precious in My sight, Since you are honored and I love you, I will give other men in your place and other peoples in exchange for your life.
    5. “Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, And gather you from the west.
    6. “I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’ And to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’ Bring My sons from afar And My daughters from the ends of the earth,
    7. Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made.”
    8. Bring out the people who are blind, even though they have eyes, And the deaf, even though they have ears.
    9. All the nations have gathered together So that the peoples may be assembled. Who among them can declare this And proclaim to us the former things? Let them present their witnesses that they may be justified, Or let them hear and say, “It is true.”
    10. “You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD, “And My servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and believe Me And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me.
    11. “I, even I, am the LORD, And there is no savior besides Me.
    12. “It is I who have declared and saved and proclaimed, And there was no strange god among you; So you are My witnesses,” declares the LORD, “And I am God.
    13. “Even from eternity I am He, And there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?”
    14. Thus says the LORD your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, “For your sake I have sent to Babylon, And will bring them all down as fugitives, Even the Chaldeans, into the ships in which they rejoice.
    15. “I am the LORD, your Holy One, The Creator of Israel, your King.” (NASB, 1995)
    16. Thus says the LORD, Who makes a way through the sea And a path through the mighty waters,
    17. Who brings forth the chariot and the horse, The army and the mighty man (They will lie down together and not rise again; They have been quenched and extinguished like a wick):
    18. “Do not call to mind the former things, Or ponder things of the past.
    19. “Behold, I will do something new, Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert.
    20. “The beasts of the field will glorify Me, The jackals and the ostriches, Because I have given waters in the wilderness And rivers in the desert, To give drink to My chosen people.
    21. “The people whom I formed for Myself Will declare My praise.
    22. “Yet you have not called on Me, O Jacob; But you have become weary of Me, O Israel.
    23. “You have not brought to Me the sheep of your burnt offerings, Nor have you honored Me with your sacrifices. I have not burdened you with offerings, Nor wearied you with incense.
    24. “You have bought Me not sweet cane with money, Nor have you filled Me with the fat of your sacrifices; Rather you have burdened Me with your sins, You have wearied Me with your iniquities.
    25. “I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake, And I will not remember your sins.
    26. “Put Me in remembrance, let us argue our case together; State your cause, that you may be proved right.
    27. “Your first forefather sinned, And your spokesmen have transgressed against Me.
    28. “So I will pollute the princes of the sanctuary, And I will consign Jacob to the ban and Israel to revilement.” (NASB, 1995)


    In spite of all that God did for Israel, and in spite of all of God’s promises to be faithful to Israel, Israel chose to disobey God and became reviled in His sight. The very same thing has been true of countless Christians whom God saved, blessed, and made promises to be faithful to—promises that were conditional upon their faithfully abiding in Christ. Indeed, in John 10:28, Jesus made the same promise to His people that God made to His people in Isaiah 43:13, and yet later in the same chapter of Isaiah, we read that many of His people departed from His hand and became reviled in His sight. Christians who choose to remain in the hand of God remain secure in their salvation; Christians who do not choose to remain in the hand of God lose their salvation.

  12. #852
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    47,394
    Rep Power
    295

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sagart View Post
    Proponents of the doctrine of eternal security like to quote John 10:27-29 out of context and totally miss the assertion that Jesus was making about Himself—the very assertion that got Him crucified!

    27. “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
    28. and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
    29. “My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.” (NASB, 1995)


    Here it is in context,

    22. At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place at Jerusalem;
    23. it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon.
    24. The Jews then gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
    25. Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me.
    26. “But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep.
    27. “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
    28. and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
    29. “My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.
    30. “I and the Father are one.” (NASB, 1995)


    In this passage, Jesus is asserting his deity. The importance of the words in verse 28 all but escapes the attention of many readers. Compare these two passages:

    Isa. 43:13. “Even from eternity I am He, And there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?” (NASB, 1995)

    Wisdom 3:1. But the souls of the just are in the hand of God,
    and no torment shall touch them. (NAB, 1986)


    Jesus is telling the Jews that His hand is the hand of God, and that, therefore, He is God! But notice that there is nothing at all in any of these three verses that says that anyone is grasped in the hand of God so that he cannot escape if he wants to. The point is that it is the hand of God, and being the hand of God there is safety. Those who are in the hand of God are in Christ, and in Christ is the eternal life—and no where else! Anyone who chooses either actively or passively to depart from the Christian faith departs from Christ and necessarily departs from the life that is in Christ. Just as we possess the safety of God only while we abide in Christ, we possess the life of Christ only while we abide in Him. Eternal life is Christ’s life and we posses it only in Him. The Greek adjective translated ‘eternal’ modifies the Greek noun translated ‘life,’ and thus describes not our possession of the life, but the life itself—the life of Christ that we share with Him when we are in Him.

    The context of Isa. 43:13, quoted above, is important to the understanding of that verse and John 10:27-29.

    1. But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!
    2. “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you.
    3. “For I am the LORD your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I have given Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in your place.
    4. “Since you are precious in My sight, Since you are honored and I love you, I will give other men in your place and other peoples in exchange for your life.
    5. “Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, And gather you from the west.
    6. “I will say to the north, ‘Give them up!’ And to the south, ‘Do not hold them back.’ Bring My sons from afar And My daughters from the ends of the earth,
    7. Everyone who is called by My name, And whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made.”
    8. Bring out the people who are blind, even though they have eyes, And the deaf, even though they have ears.
    9. All the nations have gathered together So that the peoples may be assembled. Who among them can declare this And proclaim to us the former things? Let them present their witnesses that they may be justified, Or let them hear and say, “It is true.”
    10. “You are My witnesses,” declares the LORD, “And My servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and believe Me And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me.
    11. “I, even I, am the LORD, And there is no savior besides Me.
    12. “It is I who have declared and saved and proclaimed, And there was no strange god among you; So you are My witnesses,” declares the LORD, “And I am God.
    13. “Even from eternity I am He, And there is none who can deliver out of My hand; I act and who can reverse it?”
    14. Thus says the LORD your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, “For your sake I have sent to Babylon, And will bring them all down as fugitives, Even the Chaldeans, into the ships in which they rejoice.
    15. “I am the LORD, your Holy One, The Creator of Israel, your King.” (NASB, 1995)
    16. Thus says the LORD, Who makes a way through the sea And a path through the mighty waters,
    17. Who brings forth the chariot and the horse, The army and the mighty man (They will lie down together and not rise again; They have been quenched and extinguished like a wick):
    18. “Do not call to mind the former things, Or ponder things of the past.
    19. “Behold, I will do something new, Now it will spring forth; Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness, Rivers in the desert.
    20. “The beasts of the field will glorify Me, The jackals and the ostriches, Because I have given waters in the wilderness And rivers in the desert, To give drink to My chosen people.
    21. “The people whom I formed for Myself Will declare My praise.
    22. “Yet you have not called on Me, O Jacob; But you have become weary of Me, O Israel.
    23. “You have not brought to Me the sheep of your burnt offerings, Nor have you honored Me with your sacrifices. I have not burdened you with offerings, Nor wearied you with incense.
    24. “You have bought Me not sweet cane with money, Nor have you filled Me with the fat of your sacrifices; Rather you have burdened Me with your sins, You have wearied Me with your iniquities.
    25. “I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake, And I will not remember your sins.
    26. “Put Me in remembrance, let us argue our case together; State your cause, that you may be proved right.
    27. “Your first forefather sinned, And your spokesmen have transgressed against Me.
    28. “So I will pollute the princes of the sanctuary, And I will consign Jacob to the ban and Israel to revilement.” (NASB, 1995)


    In spite of all that God did for Israel, and in spite of all of God’s promises to be faithful to Israel, Israel chose to disobey God and became reviled in His sight. The very same thing has been true of countless Christians whom God saved, blessed, and made promises to be faithful to—promises that were conditional upon their faithfully abiding in Christ. Indeed, in John 10:28, Jesus made the same promise to His people that God made to His people in Isaiah 43:13, and yet later in the same chapter of Isaiah, we read that many of His people departed from His hand and became reviled in His sight. Christians who choose to remain in the hand of God remain secure in their salvation; Christians who do not choose to remain in the hand of God lose their salvation.

    I quoted John 3 and also what Jesus said in John 6.

    Please answer than, I did not even mention john 10.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  13. #853
    Banned
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    30
    Posts
    879
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    sagart how many times can u lose ur salvation and get it back? how do u know when u lost it?

  14. #854
    Member
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2017
    Age
    59
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    The metaphor of being part of the bride and being an adopted son waiting for full sonship is the attitude of one saved always saved.

  15. #855


    DJ2
    DJ2 is online now
    Senior Member DJ2's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2017
    Age
    52
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    This truth will not stop them though. They will continue to count goats, hogs and dogs as sheep.
    Wait...wait...let me guess. You are a sheep and the rest of us are just goats, hogs and dogs who just think they are sheep.

    I am right?
    Sagart likes this.

  16. #856


    DJ2
    DJ2 is online now
    Senior Member DJ2's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2017
    Age
    52
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoozy View Post
    sagart how many times can u lose ur salvation and get it back? how do u know when u lost it?
    How many times can you think you are saved but not be? How do you know when you really, really are saved this time?
    Sagart likes this.

  17. #857
    Senior Member UnderGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,440
    Rep Power
    117

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    There is no "this time" it is only "one time"



    Quote Originally Posted by DJ2 View Post
    How many times can you think you are saved but not be? How do you know when you really, really are saved this time?
    mailmandan likes this.
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    Romans 6:14

  18. #858


    DJ2
    DJ2 is online now
    Senior Member DJ2's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2017
    Age
    52
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderGrace View Post
    There is no "this time" it is only "one time"
    Okay....what about the question?

    How will you know "this time" is the "one time" and not just another "this time".
    Sagart likes this.

  19. #859
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,517
    Rep Power
    136

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ2 View Post
    Wait...wait...let me guess. You are a sheep and the rest of us are just goats, hogs and dogs who just think they are sheep.

    I am right?
    No. You're not.

    Honestly I've not once witnessed you being right on this forum even once. And you're still batting .000.

    Congrats, at least you're consistent.
    mailmandan likes this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    Open Theism and Molinism, two inept theological camps, do err in this sense; God doesn't have an R&D department, He does all things perfectly.

  20. #860
    Senior Member UnderGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,440
    Rep Power
    117

    Default Re: Verse for "once saved always saved"?

    There cannot be another this time.

    One time is one time.

    I think this is pretty simple math one corresponds to one.


    Quote Originally Posted by DJ2 View Post
    Okay....what about the question?

    How will you know "this time" is the "one time" and not just another "this time".
    mailmandan likes this.
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    Romans 6:14

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: January 17th, 2015, 04:44 AM
  2. Which is true "Once Saved Always Saved" or That you can loose your salvation?
    By GodlyGirlCasey in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 182
    Last Post: January 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM
  3. About "Eternal security" (once saved always saved)
    By Shyness in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 25th, 2013, 02:12 AM
  4. Are you "Saved" and filled with the "Holy Ghost/Spirit"?
    By Eccl12and13 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: November 25th, 2012, 10:46 AM
  5. Once Saved - Always Saved - Only saved a "works" based gospel?
    By ChristsArmorBearer in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2010, 09:47 PM