Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
Like Tree58Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 4th, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    In acknowledging he was the son of God, there were those who thought they could make a case of blasphemy against him, I think.
    Ok fine 33! So let me play devils advocate. There many groups out there like the JW's, unitarians, arians and christadelphians that deny the deity of Jesus Christ. So, if you were to ask anyone of them the question? "Who is Jesus Christ" they all will say, "He's the son of God." Ok, but what does that mean?

    You even said "he is the son of God." Then you added, "there were those who thought they could make a case of blasphemy against him, I think." Why would claiming to be the son of God be considered blasphemy? Here, I'll give you an example of what I'm getting at.

    At John 10:31-38 we have the Jews taking up stones AGAIN to stone Him." (vs31). Jesus at vs32 says, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" Vs33, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You being a man, make Yourself God." Let me insert at this point the fact that the Jews/Pharisees were not stupid. The point I want to make right here is that in all of these instances regarding the charge of blasphemy the Jews came to that conclusion based entirely on what Jesus Christ said first.

    So in this instance it was what Jesus said at John 10:30, "I and the Father, we are one." Now, here is where John 10 gets really interesting. Jesus answered them (vs34), "Has it not been written in your law, "I say you are gods?" Vs35, "If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came, (and the Scriptures cannot be broken) vs36, do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, "You are blaspheming, because I said, "I am the Son of God?"

    So my question is (and remember I'm playing devils advocate) why did Jesus Christ quote Psalm 82:6 to the Jews? Please think about it. And btw, this is for anybody to answer.

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 9th, 2010
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,486
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    In other words, where did the Jews come up with the charge of blasphemy?

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto
    I already posted on this,but I posted it different than what you asked,which I took it wrong going over it too quick,which I am sure someone already told you,which they said Jesus blasphemed because He as a man,made Himself out to be God.

  3. #23
    Senior Member SCHISM's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2016
    Posts
    298
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    bluto asked why did Jesus quote Psalm 82:6 to the Jews?

    If it is not blasphemy to say ye are gods, but it is blasphemy to falsely claim to be The Most High God, then I think he was trying to hint at being The Most High God without actually saying those words because he wasn't meant to be stoned to death, and he bought some time confusing them.

    That's just how I picture it. What do you think bluto?
    Yeraza_Bats likes this.
    I don't believe in coincidences. I believe in Jesus Christ.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    27,517
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Ok fine 33! So let me play devils advocate. There many groups out there like the JW's, unitarians, arians and christadelphians that deny the deity of Jesus Christ. So, if you were to ask anyone of them the question? "Who is Jesus Christ" they all will say, "He's the son of God." Ok, but what does that mean?

    You even said "he is the son of God." Then you added, "there were those who thought they could make a case of blasphemy against him, I think." Why would claiming to be the son of God be considered blasphemy? Here, I'll give you an example of what I'm getting at.

    At John 10:31-38 we have the Jews taking up stones AGAIN to stone Him." (vs31). Jesus at vs32 says, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" Vs33, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You being a man, make Yourself God." Let me insert at this point the fact that the Jews/Pharisees were not stupid. The point I want to make right here is that in all of these instances regarding the charge of blasphemy the Jews came to that conclusion based entirely on what Jesus Christ said first.

    So in this instance it was what Jesus said at John 10:30, "I and the Father, we are one." Now, here is where John 10 gets really interesting. Jesus answered them (vs34), "Has it not been written in your law, "I say you are gods?" Vs35, "If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came, (and the Scriptures cannot be broken) vs36, do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, "You are blaspheming, because I said, "I am the Son of God?"

    So my question is (and remember I'm playing devils advocate) why did Jesus Christ quote Psalm 82:6 to the Jews? Please think about it. And btw, this is for anybody to answer.

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto
    I don't know that they would say, "He is the son of God," but it's more than that. Don't we all strive to be children of God? Jesus was the Messiah. That is what they meant when they called him the "Son of God."

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,092
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    In other words, where did the Jews come up with the charge of blasphemy?

    IN GOD THE SON,

    This is always an interesting debate.
    bluto

    Blasphemy is to accredit the work of one to another. It is no different than violated the first commandment.

    Scripture informs us that faith is a work or it is described as a labor of love. In regard to a labor of love it is reckoned in respect to the three days Christ worked to pay the eternal wage of our sin. Therefore we measure his faith that works in us in respect to Him and not our own self or others.

    Because the apostate Jews made the oral traditions of the fathers equal to the word of God . , which in the opinion of the later Jews were orally delivered by Moses and orally transmitted in unbroken succession to subsequent generations, it expanded the written law, as they did were to be obeyed with “equal reverence”.

    There was and is no orally transmitted law. That kind of idea showed they were blaspheming the name of Christ. The fathers became Christ nemesis. And Christ would sarcastically (to tear at the flesh) say to them to words to prick their conscience showing they were blasphemy his holy name .This was rather than measuring our faith I respect to Christ alone. He would say to them who violated the first commandment by blasphemy as it is written below.

    Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell? Mat 23:32

    If we are trusting the “things of men” then we are measuring faith by them .If we are trusting the “things of God” we measure our faith in respect to Christ and therefore we are measuring it properly .

    Faith that is not of us as to who we measure it by is the key.
    Last edited by garee; August 30th, 2016 at 01:56 AM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 4th, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    I don't know that they would say, "He is the son of God," but it's more than that. Don't we all strive to be children of God? Jesus was the Messiah. That is what they meant when they called him the "Son of God."
    Not exactly 33! Let's see what the trial transcript says at Matthew 26:62-65. Vs62, And the high priest stood up and said to Him, Do You make no answer? What is it that thse men are testifying against You?" The witnesses said that Jesus would destroy the temple back at John 2;19 bit at vs21 "Jesus was speaking of the temple of His body." Vs53, "But Jesus kept silent, And the high priest said to Him, I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us wherther You are the Christ, the Son of God."

    The high priest is asking Jesus to swear an oath and tell them if He (the one person of Jesus Christ) actually two questions? One, is are You the Christ/Messiah and two is are You the Son of God?" That is what the little word "whether" means. At Luke 22:70 Jesus replys, "Yes, I am." Then at vs65, the high priest tore his robes, saying, He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy."

    It is not blasphemy to claim to be the Messiah. People all through the years even up until now have claimed they are the Messiah. I don't know of any records that claiming to be the Messiah resulted in somebody being killed for blasphemy. Now, the Jews knew full well what Jesus was saying or inferring at John 5:18 where Jesus calls God His own Father. Or at John 8:58 where Jesus stated that "Before Abraham sprang into existence I am" At vs59 they wanted to stone Him. At John 10:30, "I and my Father, we are one." At vs31, "The Jews took up stones again to stone Him."

    Look at John 19:7, "The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law He ought to die because (why?) HE MADE HIMSELF OUT THE SON OF GOD." Btw, the law the Jews are talking about is at Leviticus 24:16. And finally, look at what the Apostle John says at John 20:30,31, "manyh other signs therefore Jesus also perfomed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book. vs31, but these have been written that you MAY BELIEVE THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST/MESSIAH, THE SON OF GOD; and that believing you may have life in His name."

    Of course it goes without saying that Jesus Christ did not blaspheme because He was telling the truth. The Jews did not believe Him just like many do not believe Him today by denying His deity as the one and only Son of God. John 3:16.

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto

  7. #27
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,676
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    The charges that were brought up before the Jewish council were prompted by extortion. The temple Jews paid others to lie. Blasphemy being the chief of the charges, punishable by certain death. But the Jews had no law to put one to death because Rome superseded the laws of the Jews. Therefore they needed to put in place a charge that would catch Rome's ear...bringing the charges before Pilate he dismissed them as a religious squabble. After twisting the charges to there favor they told Pilate he said he was a king. Now in Roman days that was punishable by death so now Pilates was forced to examine Jesus.

    There are 2 stories of Pilate...one portrays him as a cruel ruthless person....the other portrays him as a fair but stern man caught up in politics of the day.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    27,517
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Not exactly 33! Let's see what the trial transcript says at Matthew 26:62-65. Vs62, And the high priest stood up and said to Him, Do You make no answer? What is it that thse men are testifying against You?" The witnesses said that Jesus would destroy the temple back at John 2;19 bit at vs21 "Jesus was speaking of the temple of His body." Vs53, "But Jesus kept silent, And the high priest said to Him, I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us wherther You are the Christ, the Son of God."

    The high priest is asking Jesus to swear an oath and tell them if He (the one person of Jesus Christ) actually two questions? One, is are You the Christ/Messiah and two is are You the Son of God?" That is what the little word "whether" means. At Luke 22:70 Jesus replys, "Yes, I am." Then at vs65, the high priest tore his robes, saying, He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy."

    It is not blasphemy to claim to be the Messiah. People all through the years even up until now have claimed they are the Messiah. I don't know of any records that claiming to be the Messiah resulted in somebody being killed for blasphemy. Now, the Jews knew full well what Jesus was saying or inferring at John 5:18 where Jesus calls God His own Father. Or at John 8:58 where Jesus stated that "Before Abraham sprang into existence I am" At vs59 they wanted to stone Him. At John 10:30, "I and my Father, we are one." At vs31, "The Jews took up stones again to stone Him."

    Look at John 19:7, "The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and by that law He ought to die because (why?) HE MADE HIMSELF OUT THE SON OF GOD." Btw, the law the Jews are talking about is at Leviticus 24:16. And finally, look at what the Apostle John says at John 20:30,31, "manyh other signs therefore Jesus also perfomed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book. vs31, but these have been written that you MAY BELIEVE THAT JESUS IS THE CHRIST/MESSIAH, THE SON OF GOD; and that believing you may have life in His name."

    Of course it goes without saying that Jesus Christ did not blaspheme because He was telling the truth. The Jews did not believe Him just like many do not believe Him today by denying His deity as the one and only Son of God. John 3:16.

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto
    It was not blasphemy for Jesus to claim to be the Messiah, because he WAS the Messiah. I was just trying to explain the charge.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Bladerunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,294
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Well that certaintly was true marcelo but was the charge well founded or what did the Jews base the charge on?

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto
    It seemed that Jesus arrival was known down to the day yet the Church at the time was busying themselves preparing for a Feast day by picking out the unblemished rams. They would not accept that he had arrived and therefore when the people called him the Messiah and he did not refute it, well it resulted in Blasphemey

    Have a Blessed Day

    Blade

  10. #30
    Senior Member JaumeJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2011
    Age
    73
    Posts
    11,147
    Blog Entries
    36
    Rep Power
    124

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    When Jesus said that before Abraham was I AM, the hypocrites took this as His making Himself equal with Yahweh. He and the Father are One, not to forget the Holy Spirit, but not having the understanding of the Holy Spirit, this declaration was taken as blasphemy. Had they truly understood they would have fell on their faces before Him in worship, but this was not meant to be. Perhaps after the resurrection of our Master, they repented and udnerstood. I pray so, amen
    RobbyEarl likes this.
    From the Mouth of our Lord, Jesus Christ, or do you call Him Yeshua?
    Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.


  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2016
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,456
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by JaumeJ View Post
    When Jesus said that before Abraham was I AM, the hypocrites took this as His making Himself equal with Yahweh. He and the Father are One, not to forget the Holy Spirit, but not having the understanding of the Holy Spirit, this declaration was taken as blasphemy. Had they truly understood they would have fell on their faces before Him in worship, but this was not meant to be. Perhaps after the resurrection of our Master, they repented and udnerstood. I pray so, amen
    Some did and others did not, Jesus cut them to the bone and threatened their money making agenda. Many of the Pharisees, scribes, and Sadducee realized and their eyes were opened when Christ died on the cross and the dead rose and walked among them.
    JaumeJ likes this.

  12. #32
    Senior Member JaumeJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2011
    Age
    73
    Posts
    11,147
    Blog Entries
    36
    Rep Power
    124

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    I did not make mention of all of the scribes and the Pharisees, if you reread, you sill see not only do I make mention of hypocrites, elaborating, I make mention they may have repented after Christ's resurection What you say is true, but what I have posted is in no manner contrary to your contribution. God bless you always in Yeshua...amen

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyEarl View Post
    Some did and others did not, Jesus cut them to the bone and threatened their money making agenda. Many of the Pharisees, scribes, and Sadducee realized and their eyes were opened when Christ died on the cross and the dead rose and walked among them.
    From the Mouth of our Lord, Jesus Christ, or do you call Him Yeshua?
    Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.


  13. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,359
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by RickyZ View Post
    All men are sons of God, but there was only 1 Son prophesied to redeem creation. That's the Son Jesus was claiming to be, ergo the Jews hated Him. There's also a difference in that Jesus is begotten and we are adopted (not the right word but you get the idea), and there's a similarity in that for authority over creation to be returned to man He had to become one of us.
    Truly Ricky...Not all men are the sons of God...Remember what Jesus said to those Pharisees?
    John 8:42-46 (KJV)


    42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
    43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
    44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

    45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
    46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

  14. #34
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,784
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Mat 26:64 Jesus *said to him, “You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN.”

    Because in the OT only God was said to come in judgment "on the clouds of heaven", therefore Jesus was making the claim and prerogative of deity when he said he would be "coming" in judgment on the high council.

    Mat 26:65 Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? Behold, you have now heard the blasphemy;
    bluto likes this.

  15. #35


    Zen
    Zen is offline
    Senior Member Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2015
    Age
    34
    Posts
    718
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by RickyZ View Post
    All men are sons of God
    What? This isn't supported by scripture at all.
    (✿◠‿◠) Click here to learn about your authority (◡‿◡✿)

     ∧_∧
     ( ´・ω・)
     ( つ旦O  ∫
     と_)_) 旦

  16. #36
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    17,315
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    306

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    What? This isn't supported by scripture at all.
    I agree with you on this point.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,290
    Rep Power
    81

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    What? This isn't supported by scripture at all.
    Actually it is...
    The phrase "son of God" is used in several ways in the Bible.
    Yes, it is applied to Jesus implying divinity, but it is also used, to denote man - we are all sons of God in the sense that we are all His creation!
    Look at Luke 3:38 - Adam is referred to as a son of God!
    Grace777x70 likes this.

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,437
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why was Jesus Christ accused of blasphemy by the Jews?

    Quote Originally Posted by graceNpeace View Post
    Actually it is...
    The phrase "son of God" is used in several ways in the Bible.
    Yes, it is applied to Jesus implying divinity, but it is also used, to denote man - we are all sons of God in the sense that we are all His creation!
    Look at Luke 3:38 - Adam is referred to as a son of God!
    I agree. That's why those that refuse to believe in Christ are called the "sons of disobedience".

    The devil does not make any children - only God makes us humans.

    Jesus I believe was referring to the lies that the Pharisees were listening to from the devil when He called them sons of the devil.

    The devil is not the parent of a single person - he is however "the father of lies". They were taking on the nature of the "father of lies".

    There are many scriptures that show God is the true father of us all.

    Malachi 2:10 (NASB)
    10
    "Do we not all have one father? Has not one God created us? Why do we deal treacherously each against his brother so as to profane the covenant of our fathers?

    Matthew 23:9 (NASB)
    9 "Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.

    Psalm 24:1 (NASB)
    1

    The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it.


    Hebrews 12:9 (NASB)
    9 Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?

    Isaiah 42:5 (NASB)
    5 Thus says God the LORD, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread out the earth and its offspring, Who gives breath to the people on it And spirit to those who walk in it,

    Ecclesiastes 12:7 (NASB)
    7 then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Jesus was Falsely Accused by Religious Leaders
    By Dayo in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 26th, 2015, 04:29 PM
  2. How Jews Mock Christ
    By didymos in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2014, 11:30 PM
  3. Israel accused of STERILIZING Ethiopian Jews
    By nathan3 in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 24th, 2013, 02:45 AM
  4. Jesus is Christ of the Jews!
    By jonathanbchristian in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM
  5. Jews wanting Christians to become Jews and leave Christ?
    By thefightinglamb in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: November 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM