Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 136
Like Tree58Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 4th, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    35

    Default What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    If you were to ask somebody, "Who is Jesus Christ" they inevitably say "He's the Son of God." This answer is given not only by Christians but non Christians, including those in the cults as well as world religions. Even though the answer is "obvious" but what does it really mean?

    Remember that Jesus Christ ask the disciples, (Matthew 16:14-17) "saying, Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" Please notice Jesus makes a point of saying "Son of Man." At vs16, "And Simon Peter answered and said, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of God." Jesus then says at vs17, "Blessed are you Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven,"

    The answer that Peter gave is two-fold? In other words, Peter saying to the one person of Jesus Chriat that He/Jesus is, (1) the Christ/Messiah and (2) the Son of God. This answer will come into play not only at the trial of Jesus but before His trial and even after His crucifixtion/resurrection.

    So within the pages of the Old Testament and in the New Testament is a "Jewish" idiom known as the "son of." But first, what is the definition of an "idiom?" The usual way in which the words of a particular language are joined together to express thought. The "son of" idiom DOES inted the meaning of a shared nature between ANY father and his son and thus between THE FATHER and THE SON, The "Son of God" title is entirely consistent with trinitarian doctrine which states explicitly that the Son is of the same NATURE of the Father. I'm cutting to the chase here but I will give examples from the Scriptures of how this works.

    At 1 Kings 20:35; 2 Kings 2:3 say, "Sons of the prophets. This refers to men belonging to a prophetic band. Or Sons of the goldsmiths at Nehimiah 3:8 refers to goldsmith. I can give you many more from the Old Testament. Here are some from the New Testament. Sons of disobedience are those charactrerized by disobedience. (Ephesians 2:2). Or how about Barnabas at Acts 4:36 where his name literally means "son of consolation." he was called that because he was a consolin g person. One more, "Son of perdition." Who do you think this is talking about at John 17:12, and at 2 Thessalonians 2:3, means the lost one.

    The point being is that this idiom can (1) Show membership in a profession or a guild. (2) Showing participation in a state or condition. Like "Sons of exile." (3) Showing a certain character like "Son of murder" denotes a murderer. And the last one, (4) Possessing a certain nature. The expression "son of man" clearly exhibi8ts the use of the word "son" to show the possession of a ceretain nature as at Numbers 23:19 which can be phraphrased, "God is not like man, who frequently lies; nor does He possess the nature of man, who by reason of his own limitations must ofter change his mind."

    I think it's pretty obvious how the "son of" applies to Jesus Christ and in fact Jesus Christ referred to Himself as the "Son of Man" and as the "Son of God." At John 19:7, "The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by that law He ought to die because (or why) HE MADE HIMSELF OUT THE SON OF GOD." So why is that blasphemy worthy of death? At Matthew 26:63 the high priest ask Jesus to swear as to His identity, "But Jesus kept silent, And the high priest said to Him, "I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us "WHETHER" (1) You are the Christ/Messiah and (2) the Son of God." At Luke 22:70 Jesus says, "Yes, I am."

    Finally, the Apostle John says at John 20:31 after Thomas makes his declaration that Jesus Christ is his "Lord and God" (John 20:28), "but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus IS THE CHRIST, THE SON OF GOD; and that believing you may have life in His name."

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto
    zone and Tintin like this.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,057
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    The Son of God = The Word of God

    Just as a persons words come forth from the heart, the Son came forth from the bosom of the Father.

    John 1:18

    No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

    A father begets a son, just as God's Word is known as the only begotten Son of God, thus we see why the Father is greater than His Son, because God the Father gave the power of Life to His Word=Son

    John 5:26

    For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

  3. #3
    Senior Member FreeNChrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    7,877
    Rep Power
    123

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    The Son of God = God
    mailmandan likes this.

    “How foolish can you be? After starting your new lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?”
    Gal 3:3



  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2011
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,360
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    80

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    There are three In heaven that bear record,the FATHER,the WORD and the HOLY GHOST and these three are one.

    On earth,a body was prepared for JESUS and GOD said,today you have become my son.
    IF you do not realize that the rebirth took place in your spirit then it can be confusing to your mind worshiping GOD standing in front of a physical mirror.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2009
    Age
    64
    Posts
    27,517
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Didn't Jesus usually refer to himself as the "son of man"?
    zone likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2011
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,360
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    80

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by resurrection33 View Post
    Didn't Jesus usually refer to himself as the "son of man"?
    Yes,fully GOD and fully man,dieing as a man on our behalf, having mercy on us,the law was broken and had to be satisfied,the law demanded death, JESUS satisfied the demand of the law,obedient to GOD our father to the death but having mercy on us,loving us HE took the penalty for us.So then the law,God's perfect standard of righteousness was kept.

    Death could have held JESUS from resurrection had JESUS sinned but Thank GOD,JESUS was resurrected and now all power In heaven and earth belong to HIM.

    And those that believe In the WORD of GOD have eternal life and we have access to this Grace throgh faith.
    zone likes this.
    IF you do not realize that the rebirth took place in your spirit then it can be confusing to your mind worshiping GOD standing in front of a physical mirror.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 9th, 2010
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,486
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Jesus is the only begotten Son of God,which means He is the only human begotten by the Spirit of God,literally making God His Father,where the saints are adopted in to the kingdom.
    zone likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 4th, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by InSpiritInTruth View Post
    The Son of God = The Word of God

    Just as a persons words come forth from the heart, the Son came forth from the bosom of the Father.

    John 1:18

    No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

    A father begets a son, just as God's Word is known as the only begotten Son of God, thus we see why the Father is greater than His Son, because God the Father gave the power of Life to His Word=Son

    John 5:26

    For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
    Hi inspirit! I would like you to please clarify something for me in the following sentence of yours. "A father begets a son, just as God's Word is known as the only begotten Son of God, thus we see why the Father is greater than His Son, because God the Father gave the power of Life to His Word=Son"

    What exactly do you mean when you say, "thus we see why the Father is greater than His Son, because God the Father gave the power of Life to His Word=Son" The Son according to John 1:3 had life in Himself BEFORE His incarnation. This power was given back to Him AFTER His resurrection, after He had accomplished His mission as a man.

    Furthermore, the Apostle John says the following at 1 John 1:1,2, "What was from the beginning what we have heard, what we have seen witgh our eyes, what we beheld with our eyes, what we beheld and our hands handled, concerning THE WORD OF LIFE. vs2 and the life was manifested and we hav e seen and bear witness and proclaim to you, the eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us."

    And as a side note that word "life" in Greek is "zoe" which means the life principle as opposed to "bios" which is biological life. And can you please tell me in what respect is God the Father "greater" than Jesus Christ?

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto
    zone likes this.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,057
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Hi inspirit! I would like you to please clarify something for me in the following sentence of yours. "A father begets a son, just as God's Word is known as the only begotten Son of God, thus we see why the Father is greater than His Son, because God the Father gave the power of Life to His Word=Son"

    What exactly do you mean when you say, "thus we see why the Father is greater than His Son, because God the Father gave the power of Life to His Word=Son" The Son according to John 1:3 had life in Himself BEFORE His incarnation. This power was given back to Him AFTER His resurrection, after He had accomplished His mission as a man.

    Furthermore, the Apostle John says the following at 1 John 1:1,2, "What was from the beginning what we have heard, what we have seen witgh our eyes, what we beheld with our eyes, what we beheld and our hands handled, concerning THE WORD OF LIFE. vs2 and the life was manifested and we hav e seen and bear witness and proclaim to you, the eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us."

    And as a side note that word "life" in Greek is "zoe" which means the life principle as opposed to "bios" which is biological life. And can you please tell me in what respect is God the Father "greater" than Jesus Christ?

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto
    Yes, God's Word had the power to give Life before the Word was made flesh in Jesus. We know this because all things were created by the Son=the Word of God. But the Father is greater because the Son came forth from the Father and the Father gave the power of Life to His Word in the beginning before anything was created. This is why the Word is shown as the "firstborn" of every creature---->>>

    Colossians 1:15-17

    15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

    16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

    17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

    Jesus (the Son of God) also confessed the Father was greater than Himself---->>>>



    John 14:28
    Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    21,077
    Rep Power
    260

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    I find this fascinating. As much as I usually disagree with ISIT, he seems to be the only one, so far, who is kind of understanding what "son" actually means as it pertains to the life that Jesus led... and invites us to walk with Him in.
    seed_time_harvest likes this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld (among others)
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  11. #11
    Senior Member prove-all's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 16th, 2014
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,830
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    “For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee?
    And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?” (Hebrews 1:5).

    Only mankind has been given this opportunity.
    The phrase “sons of God” can be used three different ways in the Bible:

    1) Men (Genesis 6:1-4; Luke 3:38; Malachi 2:10).
    Genesis 6 is referring to men, not angels.

    2) Angels (Job 38:5-7; Hebrews 1:5).

    3) Spirit-begotten humans (Romans 8:14; 1 John 3:1; 2 Peter 1:4).

    the first category of men, created physical “sons of God,” unlike the angels,
    may become spiritual “sons of God” through a begettal by God’s Holy Spirit.

    When we are also composed of spirit like the angels, we will not have sexual function.

    -

    one point to make is Jesus is declared to be the Son of God [by the resurrection]

    Romans 1:4
    And [declared to be the Son of God] with power, according to the spirit of holiness,
    [by the resurrection] from the dead:


    Romans 8:29
    For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of
    his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

    Revelation 21:7
    He that overcometh [shall inherit all things]; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

    what would inherit all things intail ?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 4th, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by InSpiritInTruth View Post
    Yes, God's Word had the power to give Life before the Word was made flesh in Jesus. We know this because all things were created by the Son=the Word of God. But the Father is greater because the Son came forth from the Father and the Father gave the power of Life to His Word in the beginning before anything was created. This is why the Word is shown as the "firstborn" of every creature---->>>

    Colossians 1:15-17

    15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

    16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

    17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

    Jesus (the Son of God) also confessed the Father was greater than Himself---->>>>



    John 14:28
    Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
    Not exactly right isit! The Father is not greater because as you said "The Son came forth from the Father." As one poster said that, "Jesus was made lower than the angels" means that Jesus Christ who already pre-existed His incarnations as a man lowered Himself by taking on human flesh. Remember, my thread is about the "Son of Man" and the "Son of God" and what does it mean?

    Since Jesus Christ has two natures, one of humanity and one of deity He did not stop being God. He lowered Himself to the position of being a human being in order to take away the sins of the world. This is the point of Philippians 2:6-9. Since Jesus Christ took on the role of a human being it DOES NOT mean that He/Jesus is subservience in nature/essence. Does that make sense to you? I will deal with the "firstborn" issue later on.

    IN GOD THE SON,
    bluto
    FreeNChrist likes this.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,057
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Not exactly right isit! The Father is not greater....
    bluto
    Then you reject the testimony of Jesus Christ, which I also provided--->>>>>John 14:28 "Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

    He who denies the words of the Son also denies the Father.

    1 John 2:23
    Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

    John 5:23
    That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,057
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    one point to make is Jesus is declared to be the Son of God [by the resurrection]
    The Word of God was the Son of God even before the resurrection of Jesus, both God the Father and Jesus said as much before the resurrection of Jesus.

    God's Word=Son is the firstborn of all creation, both old and new---->>>>

    Colossians 1:15-17

    15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

    16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

    17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

    Colossians 1:18

    And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."

  15. #15
    Senior Member FreeNChrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    7,877
    Rep Power
    123

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    The term "Son of God" refers to likeness, or “of the same order". The son of a dog is a dog. The son of a monkey is a monkey. The son of a fish is a fish. The Son of God is God. By calling Himself the Son of God Jesus was claiming equality with God. He was asserting His own distinct deity.
    Grace777x70 likes this.

    “How foolish can you be? After starting your new lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?”
    Gal 3:3



  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2011
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,360
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    80

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by InSpiritInTruth View Post
    The Word of God was the Son of God even before the resurrection of Jesus, both God the Father and Jesus said as much before the resurrection of Jesus.

    God's Word=Son is the firstborn of all creation, both old and new---->>>>

    Colossians 1:15-17

    15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

    16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

    17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

    Colossians 1:18

    And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."
    I think he Is having a problem wrapping his mind around the difference of the WORD In heaven and the son of GOD on earth.
    Grace777x70 likes this.
    IF you do not realize that the rebirth took place in your spirit then it can be confusing to your mind worshiping GOD standing in front of a physical mirror.

  17. #17
    Senior Member FreeNChrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    7,877
    Rep Power
    123

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by InSpiritInTruth View Post
    Then you reject the testimony of Jesus Christ, which I also provided--->>>>>John 14:28 "Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."

    He who denies the words of the Son also denies the Father.

    1 John 2:23
    Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

    John 5:23
    That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
    Fully God AND fully man.

    “How foolish can you be? After starting your new lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?”
    Gal 3:3



  18. #18
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    64
    Posts
    9,888
    Rep Power
    129

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Son of God, Son of man and Son of David. Jesus the Christ, the promised Messiah, the Redeemer promised of the Father.

    If you are saved you are a son of God just not the Son of God.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    The bible is a mirror not a magnifying glass
    use it to examine yourself not others.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,057
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by seed_time_harvest View Post
    I think he Is having a problem wrapping his mind around the difference of the WORD In heaven and the son of GOD on earth.
    All one needs do is to look to and believe in the words of God---->>>>
    John 1:14
    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
    Yahshua and masmpg like this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2011
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,360
    Blog Entries
    7
    Rep Power
    80

    Default Re: What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

    Quote Originally Posted by InSpiritInTruth View Post
    All one needs do is to look to and believe in the words of God---->>>>
    John 1:14
    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
    He didn't understand how JESUS could be equal to GOD and then made a little lower than the angels.
    IF you do not realize that the rebirth took place in your spirit then it can be confusing to your mind worshiping GOD standing in front of a physical mirror.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 19th, 2017, 08:58 AM
  2. “In Christ Jesus”
    By NetChaplain in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 6th, 2015, 09:55 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 29th, 2015, 05:52 PM
  4. Finding Graciousness from GOD and Jesus by connecting with Jesus Christ.
    By wordsponge in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 14th, 2013, 04:53 PM
  5. Jesus Christ throughout the OT.
    By cronjecj in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 26th, 2011, 03:30 AM