Page 1367 of 1425 FirstFirst ... 3678671267131713571365136613671368136913771417 ... LastLast
Results 27,321 to 27,340 of 28484
Like Tree38263Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Not By Works

  1. #27321
    Senior Member Stephen63's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,480
    Rep Power
    101

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Stunnedbygrace View Post
    I'm not entirely at odds with him either, or with stephen for that matter. It's their unlovely speech and ungentleness that I object to. They do not seem to speak lovingly a lot of the time.
    Here's some unlovely speech:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunnedbygrace View Post
    And yet your vicious and ugly mutterings against your brothers DOESN'T embarrass you? You disdain them and attack them unlovingly because they do not have some perfect understanding of God that you think you have. You berate them for whatever you deem to be a wrong thought or understanding. You allow no man his own thought on a matter or on a verse. And so you become embarrassed that you used a word wrong whose definition has changed??
    What I said yesterday was nothing deserving of that. You bashed me.

    Don't you think you're accountable to God for such maliciousness?

    JIMBO43 likes this.

  2. #27322
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,625
    Blog Entries
    57
    Rep Power
    216

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Bullying?

    If it was from someone you loved or felt that loved you, it would be called "correction" or "chastenment". When it's from someone you don't respect, someone you view as your enemy or intimidates you...folks call it "bullying, slander, lies" etc.

    Rebuking and chastening people is pointless unless the Holy spirit moves you and you establish a loving relationship with the other person.

    Otherwise it just causes bickering.

    I believe people should rebuke their friends INSTEAD OF THOSE THEY VIEW AS ENEMIES when they act un Christ like and then maybe there will be a change in people's hearts and manner of speech.
    Grace777x70 likes this.

  3. #27323
    Senior Member JIMBO43's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2016
    Posts
    4,211
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Not By Works

    I believe the scripture that say we walk in the spirit and abide in his kindom.. and so there for we are in his presence and his Kingdom..

    but on a sad note i also believe that satan also walked in his presence befor he stopped growing too...

    this is not my fault brothers and sisters this is how life is.....
    may the lord inspire you to post something that has come through communion..

  4. #27324
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2015
    Age
    53
    Posts
    4,752
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    107

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen63 View Post
    You mean bullying & subtile like this?

    Are you saying the christian is no longer accountable?

    I don't understand where you're going with this.....



    Well, the person in the above post will bully with similar things, & then do a 180 degree turn & act like it didn't happen.

    That I agree on.
    ​
    I believe we as christians need to watch carefully also to distinguish who's putting on these types of Jeckle & Hyde performances to bully & intimidate certain people.
    Stephen, you attack. You don't discuss. You berate and chide. You demand some sort of perfection of knowledge from them that you think you possess. You scream accusations of heretic, unsaved, wolf, false teacher. You post fables of evil little girls, calling me an evil little girl by the association. I have not done or said anything evil.

    I was not bullying you. I was trying to get you to stop attacking your brothers and sisters in here because you don't agree with them on something.

    Doesn't it tire you to be always at war with your brothers and sisters in here? Can't you love and bear with us? Can you forgive us if we upset you?

    I am not trying to bully and intimidate you. I am trying to get you to settle down and stop screaming accusations. Maybe I went about it wrong. Maybe I spoke more out of impatience and exhaustion. Do you want to be exhausting to us? Don't you want to have pleasant discourse and share and learn?

  5. #27325
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,625
    Blog Entries
    57
    Rep Power
    216

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Or it might just result in a break up of "friendships" because people choose pride over humbleness of Spirit?

  6. #27326
    Member
    Join Date
    August 11th, 2017
    Age
    36
    Posts
    85
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Not By Works


  7. #27327
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,625
    Blog Entries
    57
    Rep Power
    216

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Wrong thread....many folks who know that salvation is NOT BY WORKS but Faith...aren't Calvinist,

    But yeah...let's stir the pot...

    Welcome to CC, hope you find Christ centered friends...I wouldn't suggest BDF for the faint of heart...prayers and miscellaneous are normally friendlier.
    Last edited by Ariel82; 6 Days Ago at 12:43 PM.
    dcontroversal likes this.

  8. #27328
    Senior Member JIMBO43's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2016
    Posts
    4,211
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    Or it might just result in a break up of "friendships" because people choose pride over humbleness of Spirit?
    pride ignorance and not wanting to know the truth.... also a lack of love and shattered protective instincts gets lost.. here lies the key to saving a brother from the fiery furness
    may the lord inspire you to post something that has come through communion..

  9. #27329
    Senior Member UnderGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,863
    Rep Power
    78

    Default Re: Not By Works

    I agreed with all he said, reiterated one thing in particular that particularly spoke to me about receiving Jesus.

    I will be placing you on ignore.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    No, that might not be what G777 meant but my comment wasn't on what He said but what you said...

    Again I disagree with your use of passive acceptance. G777 has clarified that abiding is NOT passive.

    You may passively receive from God but you have to actively grow.

    Jesus is the vine and we are the branches so.., it would be that the branches receive from the vine?

    Even Jesus was tempted in the desert. Spiritual discernment between Good and evil and learning to eat. Spiritual meat is vital to becoming mature in Christ. The Bible tells us to move past the milk.

    The Christian life isn't just about being passive and waiting for things to happen to you.

    God doesn't want a passive personwaitung to be carried but active children walking with Him
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    Romans 6:14

  10. #27330
    Senior Member Stephen63's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,480
    Rep Power
    101

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    The whole topic of hyper grace is a no no..,,teaching it, preaching it, fighting about who is and isn't...
    Yet certain people post videos of only hypergrace preachers, & folks sit around & talk about how good these preachers are.
    JIMBO43, Meggido and Zi like this.

  11. #27331
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2015
    Age
    53
    Posts
    4,752
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    107

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen63 View Post
    Yet certain people post videos of only hypergrace preachers, & folks sit around & talk about how good these preachers are.
    Did you listen to the 30 minute video?
    Tell us what you agreed or disagreed on about what the man had to say. We want to hear your thoughts on it.

  12. #27332
    Senior Member JIMBO43's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2016
    Posts
    4,211
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Not By Works

    if we strive not to lose are temper then surely that is striving for salvation.. for fear of upsetting God ?
    may the lord inspire you to post something that has come through communion..

  13. #27333
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2016
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Stunnedbygrace View Post
    Stephen, you attack. You don't discuss. You berate and chide. You demand some sort of perfection of knowledge from them that you think you possess. You scream accusations of heretic, unsaved, wolf, false teacher. You post fables of evil little girls, calling me an evil little girl by the association. I have not done or said anything evil.

    I was not bullying you. I was trying to get you to stop attacking your brothers and sisters in here because you don't agree with them on something.

    Doesn't it tire you to be always at war with your brothers and sisters in here? Can't you love and bear with us? Can you forgive us if we upset you?

    I am not trying to bully and intimidate you. I am trying to get you to settle down and stop screaming accusations. Maybe I went about it wrong. Maybe I spoke more out of impatience and exhaustion. Do you want to be exhausting to us? Don't you want to have pleasant discourse and share and learn?
    He will not listen to you. It is against his nature.
    dcontroversal likes this.

  14. #27334
    Senior Member TruthTalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2017
    Age
    67
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Grace777x70 View Post
    I believe the renewing of the mind is where we are transformed to manifest outwardly "what already is true within us in Christ."

    I believe that all true Christians are born from above with the nature of God in them as new creations in Christ - sealed by the Holy Spirit.

    I maintain that the teaching about Christ brings about the grace and faith necessary to live the true Christian life and it all comes from being a manifestation of what already is in us because of our union with Christ as one spirit in the inner man in Christ.

    I believe Peter walking on the water is a mini-version of what the true Christian life looks like - keeping our eyes on Jesus only and in obedience to Jesus' word "Come"

    Peter was able to walk on water and he himself was able to do things that normally couldn't be done in the natural.

    One last thing was when I looked at how Jesus responded to others - He was moved with compassion - this was a passive occurrence too that was manifesting the life that was in Him to help others.

    It was not a conscious decision to say " Ok, now I will heal someone".....it was a passive response from the life of the Father which is love that was in Him.

    I hope I was able to articulate what I am seeing.....
    "When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." Matthew9:36

    Excuse me Grace777, for jumping in to your conversation but I like how you present these insights into scripture. It has been my long time goal to conform to the likeness of God's Son, a worthy pursuit. Also I have come to see this Christian experience on earth as preparation for Heaven and what God would have us to do. I think your above statements are true and biblically correct.
    My Christan blog: Biblicalwisedomebyverse,blogspot.com

    Jude1:24

    "Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you
    unblemished in His glorious presence, with great joy"

    AvatarAttribute:
    Digital Art by: dajorus/courtesy of flicker/free to share
    Tittle: Beach Camp Fire

  15. #27335
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,330
    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen63 View Post
    Here's some unlovely speech:

    What I said yesterday was nothing deserving of that. You bashed me.

    Don't you think you're accountable to God for such maliciousness?

    What about your bashing and slander? Are you accountable to God for that as well?
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  16. #27336
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,625
    Blog Entries
    57
    Rep Power
    216

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Hmmmm....that was interesting.

    I wonder if the Holy spirit gets placed on ignore when He convicts certain people of their sins?

    Guess i will leave that in God's hands then.

  17. #27337
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,330
    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Not By Works

    People aren't converted because they have razor sharp theology, or because they believe in preservation of the saints, or osas (which happens to be razor sharp theology ) or because they believe they can lose their salvation (unless that is coupled with saving themselves, assisting Christ &c as in the case of a few on here and such is a false gospel).

    True conversion is rather 100% of God and by God, all of it, from the granting of faith and repentance, to the washing of sins and conversion of the soul and as witnessed in the sanctifying work of God in the believer.
    dcontroversal likes this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  18. #27338
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,625
    Blog Entries
    57
    Rep Power
    216

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Ezekiel 3
    Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. 18If I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die ford his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. 19But if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, or from his wicked way, he shall die for his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul. 20Again, if a righteous person turns from his righteousness and commits injustice, and I lay a stumbling block before him, he shall die. Because you have not warned him, he shall die for his sin, and his righteous deeds that he has done shall not be remembered, but his blood I will require at your hand. 21But if you warn the righteous person not to sin, and he does not sin, he shall surely live, because he took warning, and you will have delivered your soul.”
    TruthTalk likes this.

  19. #27339
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,625
    Blog Entries
    57
    Rep Power
    216

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO43 View Post
    if we strive not to lose are temper then surely that is striving for salvation.. for fear of upsetting God ?
    It's striving to live godly lives and sanctification...not the same as striving to be born again or adopted into God's family...we strive to tame our tongues because God's holy spirit is within us.

  20. #27340
    Senior Member UnderGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,863
    Rep Power
    78

    Default Re: Not By Works

    You can jump in

    When you say a worthy pursuit it made me think of Paul when he said

    so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
    Col 1:10

    Look at who Jesus is, how he had compassion,...I always find it so interesting that Paul is often correcting towards right belief about God to produce fruit


    Quote Originally Posted by TruthTalk View Post
    "When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." Matthew9:36

    Excuse me Grace777, for jumping in to your conversation but I like how you present these insights into scripture. It has been my long time goal to conform to the likeness of God's Son, a worthy pursuit. Also I have come to see this Christian experience on earth as preparation for Heaven and what God would have us to do. I think your above statements are true and biblically correct.
    Last edited by UnderGrace; 6 Days Ago at 12:56 PM.
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    Romans 6:14

Similar Threads

  1. Salvation is Definitely By Works -- God's Works, not Man's
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 8th, 2015, 07:37 PM
  2. The Christian Has Good Works; Jonathan Edwards on Works
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 11th, 2014, 03:51 AM
  3. Works Not Possible Without Salvation (Good Works, that is)
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 10th, 2014, 12:48 AM
  4. Replies: 598
    Last Post: August 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM
  5. works of the flesh contrasted with works of the Spirit
    By 1still_waters in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM