Page 442 of 1878 FirstFirst ... 3423924324404414424434444524925429421442 ... LastLast
Results 8,821 to 8,840 of 37550
Like Tree56227Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Not By Works

  1. #8821
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    12,926
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    I never said YOU post such memes. And no matter how you spin it, salvation is not a magic wand.. We all sin, you included. I sinned earlier this morning when I swore. YES *gasp* I SINNED. lol.. I admit it, why can't you??
    blue - The thing with evil or sin, is you actually have to do something and go,
    that was sin. I have occasionally sworn, very rarely. I deal with frustration and expectation
    and when shocked what I say in response.

    So to keep you happy I need to admit something I did. I wished my wife a good morning.
    I started work, I praised the Lord for His blessing, I prayed and thought about how I should
    spend my time and effort.

    So somewhere among this I need to search for sin. Opps. Not found it.

    Now where is our focus meant to be on? Jesus and love.
    So I think how should I show love to my difficult brother who has just had a stroke.
    How can I spend time meaningfully with me mother who has dementia? How do I
    encourage my stressed out daughter doing her final school exams? How do I fit
    in my work and opportunities that are openning up?
    How do I deal with my sister and the trauma with her husband and operations?
    What about blessing in the house group, growing in the word of God, how I exercise
    and do all the other things on my mind?

    So no sin is not where my focus is. Is this my failure and weakest issue in my life?
    No. Probably thinking too much and doing too little, lol. But I know Christ loves me
    and in His time, it will come to pass.

    Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
    Psalm 46:10
    Ariel82 and Seohce like this.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  2. #8822
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    12,926
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Seohce likes this.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  3. #8823
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    12,926
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    Yeah let's get real,
    Two worlds
    1 The draw bridge of the castle has come down and the owner can walk out on their land.
    2 The castle has gone, there are no defences except the cross and a man bowed in front of it.

    If you can see this, there is hope, else we live in different worlds.
    God bless you.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  4. #8824


    gb9
    gb9 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2011
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,989
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    blue - The thing with evil or sin, is you actually have to do something and go,
    that was sin. I have occasionally sworn, very rarely. I deal with frustration and expectation
    and when shocked what I say in response.

    So to keep you happy I need to admit something I did. I wished my wife a good morning.
    I started work, I praised the Lord for His blessing, I prayed and thought about how I should
    spend my time and effort.

    So somewhere among this I need to search for sin. Opps. Not found it.

    Now where is our focus meant to be on? Jesus and love.
    So I think how should I show love to my difficult brother who has just had a stroke.
    How can I spend time meaningfully with me mother who has dementia? How do I
    encourage my stressed out daughter doing her final school exams? How do I fit
    in my work and opportunities that are openning up?
    How do I deal with my sister and the trauma with her husband and operations?
    What about blessing in the house group, growing in the word of God, how I exercise
    and do all the other things on my mind?

    So no sin is not where my focus is. Is this my failure and weakest issue in my life?
    No. Probably thinking too much and doing too little, lol. But I know Christ loves me
    and in His time, it will come to pass.

    Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
    Psalm 46:10

    take all this, mix it up, shake it 4 times, and what comes out is - I do not sin.

    I guess knowing to do good and not doing so has no meaning on some..........

  5. #8825


    gb9
    gb9 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2011
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,989
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    Two worlds
    1 The draw bridge of the castle has come down and the owner can walk out on their land.
    2 The castle has gone, there are no defences except the cross and a man bowed in front of it.

    If you can see this, there is hope, else we live in different worlds.
    God bless you.
    we do live in two different worlds- most of us live in the reality that we are not sinless, some of you live in this fantasy world where you are.

    i'll take truth and reality. hope one day you do also...........

  6. #8826
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    45,480
    Rep Power
    251

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    Two worlds
    1 The draw bridge of the castle has come down and the owner can walk out on their land.
    2 The castle has gone, there are no defences except the cross and a man bowed in front of it.

    If you can see this, there is hope, else we live in different worlds.
    God bless you.
    We do live in different worlds, and we worship different Gods.

    I am a foreigner in a hostile place, the God of this world has declared war on me, one of his most useful weapons is to get me to think I need to follow religion, to think I am saved based on how holy I am, to get me to keep looking at my performance, and to keep my eyes focused on self and Not God.

    I am sorry Peter, but this is where you are, ask anyone here and they will tell you you speak of self, of holiness based on your work, of how good you are, and how loving you are. One hardly ever hears of you speak of the cross except to say it is not enough.

    This is where satan wants you, I been there done that have no desire to go back.

    What do I think? In my view, The castle is there. It is the gates of hell, I was trapped in it, and as God promised to church would enter these gates and help rescue me based on Gods love, since then, I too am inside that castle trying to rescue others, my land is not of his world, my home is in heaven, Jesus left and is preparing a way for me. That Is my hope, that is what my faith is based on, and hat is what keeps me from crashing in enemy territory,

    But one thing I know, if I do crash, God will not forsake me, he will leave the flock and come find me, and get me back on m feet.
    Last edited by eternally-gratefull; May 19th, 2017 at 11:12 AM.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  7. #8827
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    12,926
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by gb9 View Post
    we do live in two different worlds- most of us live in the reality that we are not sinless, some of you live in this fantasy world where you are.

    i'll take truth and reality. hope one day you do also...........
    Why do you think I would just accept your position with just a few sentences spoken?
    Do you think you have this level of insight or spiritual anointing?

    The best we can do is appreciate the strengths and blessings we have had in our long
    lives, and praise God that someone else desires to follow our Lord, no matter how differently.

    I have spent 5 years in a house group, and some now understand the burden on my spirit and
    soul. So I just say hello gb9, God bless you, may the Lords love shine on your heart and in
    Praise of His Holy name, for He is worthy of this above all else. Amen.
    FranC and Seohce like this.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  8. #8828
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    56,100
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    293

    Default Re: Not By Works

    How is wishing your wife good morning, a sin? Or an admission of some sort? My point is, we all still sin SOMETIMES. I need to work on not getting so frustrated to the point where I swear. But for a person to say that they don't still sin occasionally, is just wrong and deceitful.. And I mean anyone, not you specifically.. Are you saying you've never had the urge to flip off the driver who pulled out right in front of you? Or thought "what an idiot" when someone says something insane, or glanced twice at a pretty girl in your eyesight?

    I know I have, and do. When I'm with my dad in his car, and someone pulls out in front of us, I slam on the horn. YES, I check out cute guys I see. LOL.. And sometimes I think, "hmmm danggggg".. I roll my eyes and snicker when I hear some drunk on the street screaming about I don't even know what, because he's so soused that he can't even be coherent.. lol


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    blue - The thing with evil or sin, is you actually have to do something and go,
    that was sin. I have occasionally sworn, very rarely. I deal with frustration and expectation
    and when shocked what I say in response.

    So to keep you happy I need to admit something I did. I wished my wife a good morning.
    I started work, I praised the Lord for His blessing, I prayed and thought about how I should
    spend my time and effort.

    So somewhere among this I need to search for sin. Opps. Not found it.

    Now where is our focus meant to be on? Jesus and love.
    So I think how should I show love to my difficult brother who has just had a stroke.
    How can I spend time meaningfully with me mother who has dementia? How do I
    encourage my stressed out daughter doing her final school exams? How do I fit
    in my work and opportunities that are openning up?
    How do I deal with my sister and the trauma with her husband and operations?
    What about blessing in the house group, growing in the word of God, how I exercise
    and do all the other things on my mind?

    So no sin is not where my focus is. Is this my failure and weakest issue in my life?
    No. Probably thinking too much and doing too little, lol. But I know Christ loves me
    and in His time, it will come to pass.

    Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
    Psalm 46:10





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthTalk View Post

    I love "Orange Tabbies" , God created the world and then, "Orange Tabbies" .....

    Go to my profile Blog tab to read my testimonies.






  9. #8829
    Senior Member PennEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2013
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,060
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    196

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    Why do you think I would just accept your position with just a few sentences spoken?
    Do you think you have this level of insight or spiritual anointing?

    The best we can do is appreciate the strengths and blessings we have had in our long
    lives, and praise God that someone else desires to follow our Lord, no matter how differently.

    I have spent 5 years in a house group, and some now understand the burden on my spirit and
    soul. So I just say hello gb9, God bless you, may the Lords love shine on your heart and in
    Praise of His Holy name, for He is worthy of this above all else. Amen.
    The "best we can do" are filthy rags.

    YOUR best is horrific in God's eyes. So spiritually blind. Really sad. And I don't mean that with a speck of sarcasm.
    blue_ladybug and Grace777x70 like this.

  10. #8830
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    56,100
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    293

    Default Re: Not By Works

    I freely admit my sins.

    Lord, please forgive me for saying the F word earlier. I will try to do better, in Jesus' name, amen.


    See how easy that was??





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthTalk View Post

    I love "Orange Tabbies" , God created the world and then, "Orange Tabbies" .....

    Go to my profile Blog tab to read my testimonies.






  11. #8831
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    12,926
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    We do live in different worlds, and we worship different Gods.
    God bless you, may he bring wisdom and truth to see what people really are and not
    the projections you believe that are true.
    Seohce likes this.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  12. #8832
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    56,100
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    293

    Default Re: Not By Works

    I want an honest answer from y'all. Do I sound like a hypocrite for admitting my sins? Do I sound prideful in admitting my sins? A simple yes or no will suffice. LOL





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthTalk View Post

    I love "Orange Tabbies" , God created the world and then, "Orange Tabbies" .....

    Go to my profile Blog tab to read my testimonies.






  13. #8833
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 30th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,162
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PennEd View Post
    The "best we can do" are filthy rags.

    YOUR best is horrific in God's eyes. So spiritually blind. Really sad. And I don't mean that with a speck of sarcasm.
    You mean...
    You DON'T DO THE BEST YOU CAN DO?

    Why not??
    Seohce likes this.

  14. #8834
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    12,926
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    One hardly ever hears of you speak of the cross except to say it is not enough.
    Jesus is my everything and His cross my salvation, the forgiveness of my sins, where
    I find the ultimate reality.

    Two pictures
    Two worlds
    1 The draw bridge of the castle has come down and the owner can walk out on their land.
    2 The castle has gone, there are no defences except the cross and a man bowed in front of it.
    I think you words show you do not see me but your projection.
    I will rejoice in my Lord, because no matter who I am, it is your projection
    you see, so this interaction is pointless.
    Seohce likes this.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  15. #8835
    Banned
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,437
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by gb9 View Post
    take all this, mix it up, shake it 4 times, and what comes out is - I do not sin.

    I guess knowing to do good and not doing so has no meaning on some..........
    It is a product of eating from the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil . All religions of the world - including the religion of Christianity has the belief system of "knowing to do good or not doing". It is the way of the world and it is actually living from this world's belief system.

    This is what the Lord means when He says to 'come out of the world" for you are not "of" of the world anymore if Christ is in you. You are a new creation - joined as one spirit with Christ forever. The revelation of this truth provides the true Christian to live by grace through faith in Christ's work alone.

    The renewing of the mind to what Christ has done at the cross and resurrection and the fact that we too are included is paramount for the grace of God to take root in us and to grow in the Lord.

    Those with a works-based / works-righteousness belief system are living according to the elementary principles of the world in their religious attempts to establish and maintain their own righteousness and acceptability to God.

    This is the reason they fight so hard for it. It disqualifies their attempts at self-effort for right standing, acceptability before God.

  16. #8836
    Banned
    Join Date
    April 30th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    5,162
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    I freely admit my sins.

    Lord, please forgive me for saying the F word earlier. I will try to do better, in Jesus' name, amen.


    See how easy that was??
    People who love God don't say the f word.
    They don't put down Others
    They don't criticize people because they don't agree on something or other.

    The speak gentle words.
    They uplift their fellow Christians.
    They Honor Others and listen to them.

    Do YOU do this?
    Or are you a failed Christian who feels they have to do NOTHING to be called a Christian except throw around the word "Jesus".

    Some here believe ONLY grace will save them.
    But God is a demanding God and He does have His limits.
    When Jesus tells us to DO something, He is NOT REQUESTING it.

    Many will cry Lord Lord but He will not know them.
    It's speaking of unsaved persons?
    How do we know they were unsaved? Maybe by the way they acted?
    Salvation brings behavior.
    The fig tree had no figs. Jesus cursed it.
    PeterJens and Seohce like this.

  17. #8837
    Banned
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,437
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PennEd View Post
    The "best we can do" are filthy rags.

    YOUR best is horrific in God's eyes. So spiritually blind. Really sad. And I don't mean that with a speck of sarcasm.
    The preaching of the righteousness that is only found in the true gospel of the grace of God in Christ is a stumbling block to all of us that think we can by our own good works create and maintain righteousness and thus be acceptable before God.

    At it's core it is an anti-Christ belief system that denies the very work of the Lord Jesus Christ and nullifies the very grace that is needed to have His life manifested in and through us. I'm sure many don't know that is exactly what they are doing.

    Thank God for His boundless mercy and grace towards all of us!
    Last edited by Grace777x70; May 19th, 2017 at 11:36 AM.

  18. #8838
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    12,926
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    I want an honest answer from y'all. Do I sound like a hypocrite for admitting my sins? Do I sound prideful in admitting my sins? A simple yes or no will suffice. LOL
    blue - we are all different. Because you behave in the way you do, only you truly
    know it. I am not you, nor do I assume you are like me. I just go on what you share.

    Christ does change us if we let Him at the deepest level possible.
    You think I behave like you do, am just lying about it. Until you can see beyond
    this, you have missed the power of the cross. The cross changes people, it is called
    an encounter with God.

    It is also why I realised how much people compromise and have difficulties because
    they do not share with others about their victories and defeats. Some live truly
    excellent lives, who I would never defame, while others I would not want to know
    at all. Thankfully I am called just to walk, praise the Lord and share praise of the
    King, amen.
    Seohce likes this.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  19. #8839
    Senior Member PennEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2013
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,060
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    196

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    You mean...
    You DON'T DO THE BEST YOU CAN DO?

    Why not??
    No. That's not what I mean in relation to the thread.
    The discussion is whether we need to do works (our best) as a condition of salvation.

    Not only is our best filthy rags, and that is a polite translation, but it is a GREAT offense to God, who's Son sweat blood in prayer, in Gethsemane, asking His Father if there was ANY other Way. What was His Father's answer?
    Now either there IS another way, and God let His Son suffer and die for nothing, or His answer Was there is NO other way.

    We can talk all day about how we should love, and live AFTER accepting that Sacrificial Gift, but make no mistake. We must not add to that perfect Sacrifice, through works FOR SALVATION, or it invalidates the Sacrifice.
    Grace777x70 likes this.

  20. #8840
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    56,100
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    293

    Default Re: Not By Works

    I am a Christian who still sins occasionally. We ALL do, even if some won't admit it. Let's see, Jesus loved God. But Jesus called people names, and criticized them. Jesus spoke harsh words sometimes.

    And it's funny how you say that YOU don't put people down, yet last night you were telling me that I'm not smart about the bible and that I know nothing about Christianity.. Pot, meet kettle.

    I believe that works will NOT save me. That doesn't mean that I don't still do works. Of course I do, we all do. But some of us do them for the wrong reason: to STAY saved. I'm not in THAT group. Works don't, can't and won't save us..

    Christians still sin sometimes. That's a fact. God knows we're still going to slip up, and that's why He continually offers us forgiveness. We are NOT righteous, we are NOT perfect. We ARE still just mortal humans in a fallen world. If we were perfect, we'd be immortals in a mortal world, and that wouldn't work too well. :/

    Grace through faith, and belief in Jesus is what saves us. Works do not, and I know you can't accept that fact but that's your problem, not mine.. Take it to God, and tell HIM that you don't believe much of what He says or does.


    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    People who love God don't say the f word.
    They don't put down Others
    They don't criticize people because they don't agree on something or other.

    The speak gentle words.
    They uplift their fellow Christians.
    They Honor Others and listen to them.

    Do YOU do this?
    Or are you a failed Christian who feels they have to do NOTHING to be called a Christian except throw around the word "Jesus".

    Some here believe ONLY grace will save them.
    But God is a demanding God and He does have His limits.
    When Jesus tells us to DO something, He is NOT REQUESTING it.

    Many will cry Lord Lord but He will not know them.
    It's speaking of unsaved persons?
    How do we know they were unsaved? Maybe by the way they acted?
    Salvation brings behavior.
    The fig tree had no figs. Jesus cursed it.





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."

    Quote Originally Posted by TruthTalk View Post

    I love "Orange Tabbies" , God created the world and then, "Orange Tabbies" .....

    Go to my profile Blog tab to read my testimonies.






Similar Threads

  1. Salvation is Definitely By Works -- God's Works, not Man's
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 8th, 2015, 07:37 PM
  2. The Christian Has Good Works; Jonathan Edwards on Works
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 11th, 2014, 03:51 AM
  3. Works Not Possible Without Salvation (Good Works, that is)
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 10th, 2014, 12:48 AM
  4. Replies: 598
    Last Post: August 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM
  5. works of the flesh contrasted with works of the Spirit
    By 1still_waters in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM