Page 443 of 528 FirstFirst ... 343393433441442443444445453493 ... LastLast
Results 8,841 to 8,860 of 10543
Like Tree11874Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Not By Works

  1. #8841
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    15,064
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    269

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by FranC View Post
    People who love God don't say the f word.
    They don't put down Others
    They don't criticize people because they don't agree on something or other.

    The speak gentle words.
    They uplift their fellow Christians.
    They Honor Others and listen to them.
    That certainly counts you out... you condemn yourself with your own words


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  2. #8842
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    11,479
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    90

    Default Re: Not By Works

    So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. 19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed.

    20 That, however, is not the way of life you learned 21 when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

    25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26 “In your anger do not sin”[d]: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.

    29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
    Eph 4:17-32

    For a thread of believers who are free from condemnation, you seem determined
    to condemn others of sin but cannot point to the basis of conviction other than your
    own sins that convict you daily.

    Here is ephesians listing the life style we should follow.
    This is not a if we can be bothered approach, but the approach.

    The totally luke warm response to righteousness speaks of your love
    or lack of love for Christ.

    It makes me wonder when you came through for Christ did you believe you
    wanted to tell the whole world at how your King conquered sin and death and
    you where truly free from sin, with a deep debt which you could never repay,
    but for such a Lord you would do anything?

    From testimony here it makes me wonder how many ever knew this.

    I say this out of sadness for what I read, not in judgement, because I know what
    my Lord will say.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  3. #8843
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    53,960
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    245

    Default Re: Not By Works

    You're still a sinner, whether you admit it or not. And God knows it.

    We aren't to go around crowing about our good works, or victories, as you call them.. And no offense, but much of what YOU share is twisted so far around..

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    blue - we are all different. Because you behave in the way you do, only you truly
    know it. I am not you, nor do I assume you are like me. I just go on what you share.

    Christ does change us if we let Him at the deepest level possible.
    You think I behave like you do, am just lying about it. Until you can see beyond
    this, you have missed the power of the cross. The cross changes people, it is called
    an encounter with God.

    It is also why I realised how much people compromise and have difficulties because
    they do not share with others about their victories and defeats. Some live truly
    excellent lives, who I would never defame, while others I would not want to know
    at all. Thankfully I am called just to walk, praise the Lord and share praise of the
    King, amen.
    gb9 likes this.





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    LOL.. I'll use that defense the next time I get accused of something.. lol


    To read my cancer, depression, physical pain & suicide testimonies, go to the Blog tab in my profile.



  4. #8844
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    42,183
    Rep Power
    177

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    Jesus is my everything and His cross my salvation, the forgiveness of my sins, where
    I find the ultimate reality.

    Two pictures


    I think you words show you do not see me but your projection.
    I will rejoice in my Lord, because no matter who I am, it is your projection
    you see, so this interaction is pointless.
    He is your everything, but the cross is not enough.

    those are contradiction in terms Peter.

    everyone sees it but you.

    And funny, you do what you always do, you refused to even show the world I see and what you thought, it is always about you, just further proof..

    as as I said, I live in satans world, where I am his enemy. I am a Christian soldier and god is my commander.

    We we live in different worlds
    gb9 and PennEd like this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  5. #8845
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    11,479
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    90

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    You're still a sinner, whether you admit it or not. And God knows it.
    We aren't to go around crowing about our good works, or victories, as you call them.. And no offense, but much of what YOU share is twisted so far around..
    We are saints, purified and redeemed sinners walking in Gods grace.
    You talk about twisting, but I have no clue what you are referring to.

    The joke must be you have an image of me, and you read my words and the two
    do not match so you say I am twisting things. What if what I am sharing is true
    and the twisting is in the image you project of me which is wrong.

    I stopped projecting many years ago because I know how different people can be
    and how dangerous some people are. Once you discover how psychotic mental
    illness can effect people, you should not assume anything, and concentrate on the
    real signals they send. Your life can depend upon it.

    I am sure many think they know me, thankfully I know I just rejoice in Christ and His
    cross, Amen.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  6. #8846
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    53,960
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    245

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Peter, I like you, I truly do. BUT in nearly every post you make, you sound judgemental and self-righteous. You assume way too many things about people. I'm sure that's NOT how you mean for what you write to come across, but that's how it gets across to us. And I think that's why so many here have issues with what you write.

    You wonder if I'm saved. YES I am. But I'm also still a sinner who slips up on a frequent basis. Thank goodness God doesn't take away our salvation based on how often we screw up. LOL





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    LOL.. I'll use that defense the next time I get accused of something.. lol


    To read my cancer, depression, physical pain & suicide testimonies, go to the Blog tab in my profile.



  7. #8847
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    46
    Posts
    53,960
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    245

    Default Re: Not By Works

    What I'm talking about is this: many of your posts smack of assumptions, condescension, self-righteousness and judgement. You talk about how WE still sin, but act like YOU do not.. You come across like you're the only one here who truly knows God, but guess what: you're wrong. Like I said in my other post, I'm sure this isn't how you intend to come across, but indeed that IS the way you convey yourself..

    And it's not only you. We all do it from time to time..


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    We are saints, purified and redeemed sinners walking in Gods grace.
    You talk about twisting, but I have no clue what you are referring to.

    The joke must be you have an image of me, and you read my words and the two
    do not match so you say I am twisting things. What if what I am sharing is true
    and the twisting is in the image you project of me which is wrong.

    I stopped projecting many years ago because I know how different people can be
    and how dangerous some people are. Once you discover how psychotic mental
    illness can effect people, you should not assume anything, and concentrate on the
    real signals they send. Your life can depend upon it.

    I am sure many think they know me, thankfully I know I just rejoice in Christ and His
    cross, Amen.
    gb9 likes this.





    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Blue_ladybug is innocent, as we know in scripture " all people who like orange tabbies are innocent."
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    LOL.. I'll use that defense the next time I get accused of something.. lol


    To read my cancer, depression, physical pain & suicide testimonies, go to the Blog tab in my profile.



  8. #8848
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    11,479
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    90

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    He is your everything, but the cross is not enough.
    smh - I have to admit, I do not like the constraints of language.

    The cross is everything, in Christ we see healing, eternity reflected in History, victory
    over sin, the eternal God made man, humbling Himself like no other being could that
    we might taste eternity and His heart.

    It is like the word love - a flimsy soppy sentimental love of dependency between two
    strangers who will never become one.
    Or is it the foundation of the universe which will conquer the heights and depths of creation,
    that mean we will die at the hands of evil people, but still praise the Lord who deems us worthy
    so share in His suffering without flinching or running away.

    So in all things what is the point, you do not have the skills or ability to find me or my knowledge
    of Christ my Lord. And the thing is I am not worried, because you drive me deeper into His and
    His glorious riches, Amen, God bless you.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  9. #8849
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,537
    Blog Entries
    51
    Rep Power
    166

    Default Re: Not By Works

    PeterJens, how is it that you happen to be around so many mentally ill people?

    Did you work in a mentally ill facility?

  10. #8850


    gb9
    gb9 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2011
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,620
    Rep Power
    52

    Default Re: Not By Works

    one of the bedrocks of the Christian faith is truth. so when peter, fran, and others refuse to speak the TRUTH that they still sometimes sin, then by these actions, they deny the faith that they so vigorously defend.

    believers should always, always be willing to tell truth,

  11. #8851
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    42,183
    Rep Power
    177

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    We are saints, purified and redeemed sinners walking in Gods grace.
    You talk about twisting, but I have no clue what you are referring to.

    The joke must be you have an image of me, and you read my words and the two
    do not match so you say I am twisting things. What if what I am sharing is true
    and the twisting is in the image you project of me which is wrong.

    I stopped projecting many years ago because I know how different people can be
    and how dangerous some people are. Once you discover how psychotic mental
    illness can effect people, you should not assume anything, and concentrate on the
    real signals they send. Your life can depend upon it.

    I am sure many think they know me, thankfully I know I just rejoice in Christ and His
    cross, Amen.
    What we know is you claim we are saints purified and redeemed sinners walking in gods grace,

    then you claim we are we are only his way as long as we walk and do what needs to be done to redeem ourselves, otherwise, we are not saints at all,

    so you you contradict yourself.

    All we we can do is acknowledge you are confused as to what your saying, or you just make it up to sound good, in hopes scripture will leave you alone.


    We know you say on thing, but en preach the opposite.
    gb9 likes this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  12. #8852
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,537
    Blog Entries
    51
    Rep Power
    166

    Default Re: Not By Works

    The truth is gb9, some people are not convicted of their sins or don't admit that certain actions are sin.

    God's standard is higher than ours.

    God chastens all His children

  13. #8853
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    42,183
    Rep Power
    177

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    smh - I have to admit, I do not like the constraints of language.

    The cross is everything, in Christ we see healing, eternity reflected in History, victory
    over sin, the eternal God made man, humbling Himself like no other being could that
    we might taste eternity and His heart.
    what about salvation, redemption, atonement, eternal life, forgiveness of sin, high priest, lamb of God slain for the sin of the world,

    it it is more than victory over sin, it does not make you a good person, it makes you a redeems person who can now walk in the ways of love.

    again, you speak of the cross, but not of its power

    It is like the word love - a flimsy soppy sentimental love of dependency between two
    strangers who will never become one.
    Or is it the foundation of the universe which will conquer the heights and depths of creation,
    that mean we will die at the hands of evil people, but still praise the Lord who deems us worthy
    so share in His suffering without flinching or running away.

    So in all things what is the point, you do not have the skills or ability to find me or my knowledge
    of Christ my Lord. And the thing is I am not worried, because you drive me deeper into His and
    His glorious riches, Amen, God bless you.
    Anyone else understand this?
    gb9 and blue_ladybug like this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  14. #8854
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,537
    Blog Entries
    51
    Rep Power
    166

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    Two worlds
    1 The draw bridge of the castle has come down and the owner can walk out on their land.
    2 The castle has gone, there are no defences except the cross and a man bowed in front of it.

    If you can see this, there is hope, else we live in different worlds.
    God bless you.
    You know...I get most of what you post....but this is beyond my understanding of what message you are trying to get across.


    My world:

    God calls me His beloved child, says one day I can come home but for now to walk in this strange land. he gives me light and life giving water to offer to all who seek Him, if people will accept the Gospel of Christ....

    Going to keep reading thread maybe previous convo will make sense of this analogy?
    1 Corinthians 3
    11For no one can lay a foundation other than...Jesus Christ
    14If the work that anyone has built ..survives, he will receive a reward. 15If anyone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

  15. #8855
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    42,183
    Rep Power
    177

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    The truth is gb9, some people are not convicted of their sins or don't admit that certain actions are sin.

    God's standard is higher than ours.

    God chastens all His children
    thats true, but when a person refuses to admit their sin, or acknowledge it, what should this tell us about them?
    blue_ladybug likes this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  16. #8856
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,537
    Blog Entries
    51
    Rep Power
    166

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    blue - The thing with evil or sin, is you actually have to do something and go,
    that was sin. I have occasionally sworn, very rarely. I deal with frustration and expectation
    and when shocked what I say in response.

    So to keep you happy I need to admit something I did. I wished my wife a good morning.
    I started work, I praised the Lord for His blessing, I prayed and thought about how I should
    spend my time and effort.

    So somewhere among this I need to search for sin. Opps. Not found it.

    Now where is our focus meant to be on? Jesus and love.
    So I think how should I show love to my difficult brother who has just had a stroke.
    How can I spend time meaningfully with me mother who has dementia? How do I
    encourage my stressed out daughter doing her final school exams? How do I fit
    in my work and opportunities that are openning up?
    How do I deal with my sister and the trauma with her husband and operations?
    What about blessing in the house group, growing in the word of God, how I exercise
    and do all the other things on my mind?

    So no sin is not where my focus is. Is this my failure and weakest issue in my life?
    No. Probably thinking too much and doing too little, lol. But I know Christ loves me
    and in His time, it will come to pass.

    Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
    Psalm 46:10
    I found what was missing in your day....

    You need to include time to rest and be restored by God and His love.

  17. #8857
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,537
    Blog Entries
    51
    Rep Power
    166

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    thats true, but when a person refuses to admit their sin, or acknowledge it, what should this tell us about them?
    So far it tells me he is too busy living life to ask God about it.

    I have had days like that.,then God will say wait, you shouldn't have done ____ go apologize and make amends...then we continue with life.
    blue_ladybug likes this.

  18. #8858
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    11,479
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    90

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    What I'm talking about is this: many of your posts smack of assumptions, condescension, self-righteousness and judgement. You talk about how WE still sin, but act like YOU do not.. You come across like you're the only one here who truly knows God, but guess what: you're wrong. Like I said in my other post, I'm sure this isn't how you intend to come across, but indeed that IS the way you convey yourself..

    And it's not only you. We all do it from time to time..
    blue - you hate what I share, it is obvious.
    I just share from my heart of how I feel about God.

    I do not know what you are in your own walk with Christ. If you are confessing sin
    about swearing, anger, lust, what am I meant to say? I have the same issues and
    react in the same way. I have to deal with the same triggers but I do deal with it
    differently.

    I am not being superior or judgmental. Do you expect to stay as you are till the
    day you die? I am always addressing things in my life and working on different
    things. It is just what for me it means to walk with Christ.

    Now if I was the only one who truly knew Christ I would be heart broken, on a
    christian web site, it would be a denial of my faith in God himself.

    I am sure you know Christ, and you have been a blessing to many, so I would
    desire to encourage you in your walk. There is always more in Christ than we
    can even imagine or think about

    Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us
    Eph 3:20
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  19. #8859
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    11,479
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    90

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    I found what was missing in your day....

    You need to include time to rest and be restored by God and His love.
    I do that for an hour at the beginning of the day, I was just not including everything, lol.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  20. #8860
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,537
    Blog Entries
    51
    Rep Power
    166

    Default Re: Not By Works

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    forgive me then it sure seemed that way, I do not like to focus on sin, I like to focus on grace, we all have sinned, non of us deserve eternal life more than the other. When people try to focus on sin, I get suspicious.

    But again, forgive me
    Mmmmhmmm...gonna keep reading...

Similar Threads

  1. Salvation is Definitely By Works -- God's Works, not Man's
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 8th, 2015, 07:37 PM
  2. The Christian Has Good Works; Jonathan Edwards on Works
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 11th, 2014, 03:51 AM
  3. Works Not Possible Without Salvation (Good Works, that is)
    By Atwood in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 10th, 2014, 12:48 AM
  4. Replies: 598
    Last Post: August 10th, 2013, 06:54 PM
  5. works of the flesh contrasted with works of the Spirit
    By 1still_waters in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM