Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 714
Like Tree695Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2017
    Age
    60
    Posts
    779
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grace777x70 View Post
    The reality is that no one can walk up to any sick person in their own mind and will - and heal them. All the gifts of the Spirit are as He wills - not us - so, the challenge for others to go and heal Joni or Stevie Wonder is foolishness and not based on anything real. It is as the Spirit wills. We don't "dictate" the manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit.
    If someone has the "gift of hospitality", they can use that gift at will. If someone has the gift of teaching, they can us that gift whenever they wish and/or whenever it is requested of them. And right down the line with all the other gifts which are still in practice today.

    Therefore, if anyone actually had the "gift of healing" they would be able to put that into action at will and at their discretion, just like any other of the gifts. I see zero biblical basis for claiming the gift of healing can only be used at mysterious intervals.
    Awakened likes this.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Desertsrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Power
    114

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by Awakened View Post
    Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Are we not Spirit filled like they were or is it from lack of faith, prayer, or fasting?

    I believe we experience some miracles but nothing like they did.

    Hi Awakened,

    I personally believe that healing and all is happening today and miracles happen today, we just don't have the same experience as the early church did where many were being healed daily.

    I personally think it has to do with the fact that it's not God's will to work the exact same way he did then.

    When I read in the NT and see that Paul wasn't healed because of an
    infirmity and God tells him after Paul praying 3 times, that His grace is sufficient and that strength is made perfect through weakness. Instead of a healing he got a thorn.

    We also see Timothy who had stomach problems and frequent illnesses. What does Paul tell him. Is it, keep praying, ya just don't have enough faith! Or, go confess your sins and then you'll be healed! Or, who haven't you forgiven? Or, what type of witchcraft have you been involved in? I've had those told to me and more.

    No, he simply told Timothy to drink a little wine for his stomach problems and his frequent illnesses. I think it's dangerous to seek after signs. And I'm not saying you are. I'm just using this opportunity to kind of warn all of us. At one time I thought my healing was the most important thing in my life. It consumed me for a while.

    Satan will be doing signs and wonders in the last days during the tribulation period and he will use them to deceive many. Let's not be one of them that so desires the blessings of God that we look for those way above the one who blesses.

    And I don't say all this lightly. I suffer with pain everyday of my life. But God is my healer each day. He gives me exactly what I need for that day. Do I need comfort? He's the God of all comfort. Do I need peace? He's my Prince of Peace. Do I need joy? The joy of the Lord is my strength and He gives abundantly.

    When I need encouragement, all I need to do is pray and or read His word. His word is filled with encouragement and everything else I need for my day. Not one day goes by that He doesn't meet my every need and abundantly blesses me above all I could ever want. Because as I grow in Him, my desires become His desires and He hasn't decided to heal me yet so I accept His wisdom as to how He'll take care of me.

    So is God a healer? He heals in ways we see and in ways we don't see. We have the abundant life in Him and sometimes we just don't see it. When he changes the soul within, what better miracle can there be?

    One of the best miracles of my life was the day that God saved our marriage and my husband and I became believers. If that's all He ever did, it would be enough. I really believe that we need scales removed from our eyes. We have so much in Him, but sometimes we just don't see it because we focus on what we don't have and not on what we do have.

    Glory Hallelujah, Jesus set me free!

    He has told you, O man, what is good;

    And what does the Lord require of you
    But to do justice, to love kindness,
    And to walk humbly with your God?
    Micah 6:8




  3. #23
    Member TheLastKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2016
    Age
    34
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    How many people live in fervent prayer and fasting? How many people pray for miracles and do the things that the apostles did, how many follow Jesus in spirit? If nobody applies the faith then how can it be made manifest?
    Awakened likes this.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2013
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,575
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by Awakened View Post
    Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Are we not Spirit filled like they were or is it from lack of faith, prayer, or fasting?

    I believe we experience some miracles but nothing like they did.
    Maybe you aren't in the right place at the right time to see them.

    About 10 years ago, my wife and I were in Indonesia, and she prophesied that the Lord would begin to use children...I think it was in healing. I'll have to be reminded of the exact details. Anyway, it was along those lines. So we were excited to hear about Selvin, way over in Poso, a little 7-year-old girl who, they say, laid hands on someone with a broken leg and prayed the Lord's prayer, and the fellow was healed.

    More healings occurred until there was a tent city of people outside her house, some from Buddhist or Muslim backgrounds. They'd sing hymns. People started praying for them. Selvin would pray for them some, but I think her parents were protective of her. Her mother prayed that people she prayed for would be healed, and they say that started happening.

    My wife and I were in a kind of 'green room' at a prayer network event in Jakarta soon after this happened. A pastor, the former head of a small Reformed denomination, who was theologically Charismatic and had spent time in prison on trumped up weapons charges (it was not an uncommon thing during that era for Christians to be persecuted this way in that part of the world. One Roman Catholic was put to death.)

    Anyway, he was sharing about how his experiences with the seven-year-old. He was serving as a kind of spiritual influence on her as she ministered. I don't think he had been her church pastor.

    One of the men from the prayer gathering who had been to the meeting saw a blind man healed while there. They did not want people taking pictures.

    The local CBN did a little piece of the revival on TV, and they interviewed the pastor we'd talked to. I never go to go out that way and see what was going on in the tents, but they say a number of people were being healed. I don't know what happened to Selvin, except I saw another clip of her ministering beside a little boy who could preach a sermon. She might be graduating high school by now.
    stonesoffire and Awakened like this.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Awakened's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    127
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grace777x70 View Post
    By faith and also we have a witness of the Spirit in our hearts. Not necessarily in our heads. Many times we need to have our minds renewed to the truths of the kingdom of God that is within us. It is with our heart that we believe. Romans 10:10

    We receive the Holy Spirit when we believed in the message of Christ.

    The process is:

    1) we hear the message of Christ

    2) we believe the message of Christ

    3) we become in manifestation what Christ is now because we see Him for who He really is. We are transformed to reflect in our outward behavior the life of Christ Himself by beholding the glory/goodness of the Lord by the Holy Spirit. 2 Cor. 3:17-18

    We can see this being done in Eph. 1:13 when we first received Christ. The whole of our Christian life from start to finish operates in this same exact truth.

    It is all by grace through faith in what Christ has already done for us.

    Ephesians 1:13 (NASB)
    13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, ( 1)the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, ( 2) you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,( 3)

    I'm still reading but it seams like there is some sort of visual sign at baptism or laying on of hands that let them know if they received it or not.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 2nd, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,660
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Hi Awakened: God gives us the Holy Spirit when we ask Jesus to be our Savior and commit out life to God...that is how I received the Holy Spirit. I have received healings from God a few times, have seen a few supernatural things from God, I can think of two occasions when Jesus talked directly to me, one when God the Father talked to me, I saw Jesus one time in a spiritual experience. There are others, I don't talk about such things too much because sometimes you get a bad reaction from people.
    Awakened likes this.

  7. #27
    Senior Member mystdancer50's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2012
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,515
    Blog Entries
    53
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    This has been a pressing question on my mind for a long time...and it is becoming all the more urgent of late...and I believe there is a reason.

    I consider the fact that Peter could just tell a person that he has no gold but he could bring restoration to the man and tell him to get up and walk...and he did! I consider all the miracles of Elijah and Elisha, preparation for the Messiah and all He would do...and I asked God, "Why are there sick people in our church? Why are there amazing healings at revivals but not everyday?" There should be, I believe.

    The biggest reason God has shown me of late is that Holy Spirit is hindered. There are things preventing Him from having complete access and control. We are told that things loosed in Heaven are loosed on earth and vice versa and so it is with things bound...so we have done things that are preventing healings the way they were in Jesus' day and in the day of the disciples.

    No, it isn't a "then and now" thing. It's a spiritual warfare thing. The ones that are sensitive and seek guidance and wisdom and understanding will begin to receive answers and then see the miracles begin to come and soon we will hear, again, about "pockets" of healing that defy modern medicine and aren't just a here and there thing, but a daily thing. I am at the mere entrance of this freeing of Holy Spirit. It is not something that is just going to happen. It's supernatural and cannot be forced, bought, or rushed. I truly believe that God's preparing us for something great and those that are seeking Him and His will are going to be amazed when things begin to speed up and happen...because time is short and Jesus is coming soon.
    "Hi, my name is Julie and I am here to state the obvious."

    It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
    And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all
    -Let It Go by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

    Inspired Radiance - An Online Christian Women's Ministry
    Radical Purity, God's Way - Radical Purity in a Radically Impure World
    Hephzibah Online Bible Study Page - A place to learn, grow, connect, lead


  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2017
    Age
    60
    Posts
    779
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertsrose View Post

    When I read in the NT and see that Paul wasn't healed because of an
    infirmity and God tells him after Paul praying 3 times, that His grace is sufficient and that strength is made perfect through weakness. Instead of a healing he got a thorn.

    We also see Timothy who had stomach problems and frequent illnesses.
    I would agree to that also. It seems the "gift of healing" was not to be used in place of Tylenol...or so that the ministers of day couldn't just 'zap' each other's pain away. There needed to be a specific and holy (set apart) context so that the miraculous healing had the effect of confirming the Gospel message. I think that's an accurate.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Awakened's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    127
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by presidente View Post
    Maybe you aren't in the right place at the right time to see them.

    About 10 years ago, my wife and I were in Indonesia, and she prophesied that the Lord would begin to use children...I think it was in healing. I'll have to be reminded of the exact details. Anyway, it was along those lines. So we were excited to hear about Selvin, way over in Poso, a little 7-year-old girl who, they say, laid hands on someone with a broken leg and prayed the Lord's prayer, and the fellow was healed.

    More healings occurred until there was a tent city of people outside her house, some from Buddhist or Muslim backgrounds. They'd sing hymns. People started praying for them. Selvin would pray for them some, but I think her parents were protective of her. Her mother prayed that people she prayed for would be healed, and they say that started happening.

    My wife and I were in a kind of 'green room' at a prayer network event in Jakarta soon after this happened. A pastor, the former head of a small Reformed denomination, who was theologically Charismatic and had spent time in prison on trumped up weapons charges (it was not an uncommon thing during that era for Christians to be persecuted this way in that part of the world. One Roman Catholic was put to death.)

    Anyway, he was sharing about how his experiences with the seven-year-old. He was serving as a kind of spiritual influence on her as she ministered. I don't think he had been her church pastor.

    One of the men from the prayer gathering who had been to the meeting saw a blind man healed while there. They did not want people taking pictures.

    The local CBN did a little piece of the revival on TV, and they interviewed the pastor we'd talked to. I never go to go out that way and see what was going on in the tents, but they say a number of people were being healed. I don't know what happened to Selvin, except I saw another clip of her ministering beside a little boy who could preach a sermon. She might be graduating high school by now.
    Thank you for sharing! I really enjoyed reading that. Those are the experiences I'd love to witness!

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2013
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,575
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertsrose View Post

    We also see Timothy who had stomach problems and frequent illnesses. What does Paul tell him. Is it, keep praying, ya just don't have enough faith! Or, go confess your sins and then you'll be healed! Or, who haven't you forgiven? Or, what type of witchcraft have you been involved in? I've had those told to me and more.

    No, he simply told Timothy to drink a little wine for his stomach problems and his frequent illnesses. I think it's dangerous to seek after signs. And I'm not saying you are. I'm just using this opportunity to kind of warn all of us. At one time I thought my healing was the most important thing in my life. It consumed me for a while.


    If someone came to you to pray for his knees, he's 400 pounds, eating a whole box of ice cream, and then says the doctor says his knees are bad because he's too heavy, what you tell him? I might pray for his knees. But I might also ask for more details about what the doctor said and confirm to him the doctor's likely advice that he have a better diet and do some appropriate exercises for his physical condition.

    Was being healed important to you, or seeing God heal others through you? We are certainly allowed to pray for healing, and to call for the elders of the church.

    As far as wanting to heal others, I believe sometimes God sometimes gives people a passion for a ministry because that is an area where He wants to use them. Paul did not squash the enthusiasm of Christians for spiritual gifts. Instead, he told them to eagerly desire spiritual gifts. So it is good if someone wants to be used in a gifts of healing and minister to the sick. We should encourage that.

    Satan will be doing signs and wonders in the last days during the tribulation period and he will use them to deceive many.
    I don't know why this would have to be limited to a very specific period of time. But the Bible doesn't warn us that the Devil might do signs through us if we are new creatures in Christ Jesus. False prophets will arise and will deceive many, and the lawless one will be accompanied by lying signs and wonders. But true saints with good fruit doing signs and wonders should not concern us.

    The apostles prayed for God to do signs and wonders in Acts 4.

    As far as your own healing is concerned, keep continuing to believe God and receiving prayer. Call for elders who can pray the prayer of faith.
    Awakened likes this.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Awakened's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    127
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastKnight View Post
    How many people live in fervent prayer and fasting? How many people pray for miracles and do the things that the apostles did, how many follow Jesus in spirit? If nobody applies the faith then how can it be made manifest?
    That was a thought I had also!

  12. #32
    Senior Member Awakened's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    127
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by mystdancer50 View Post
    This has been a pressing question on my mind for a long time...and it is becoming all the more urgent of late...and I believe there is a reason.

    I consider the fact that Peter could just tell a person that he has no gold but he could bring restoration to the man and tell him to get up and walk...and he did! I consider all the miracles of Elijah and Elisha, preparation for the Messiah and all He would do...and I asked God, "Why are there sick people in our church? Why are there amazing healings at revivals but not everyday?" There should be, I believe.

    The biggest reason God has shown me of late is that Holy Spirit is hindered. There are things preventing Him from having complete access and control. We are told that things loosed in Heaven are loosed on earth and vice versa and so it is with things bound...so we have done things that are preventing healings the way they were in Jesus' day and in the day of the disciples.

    No, it isn't a "then and now" thing. It's a spiritual warfare thing. The ones that are sensitive and seek guidance and wisdom and understanding will begin to receive answers and then see the miracles begin to come and soon we will hear, again, about "pockets" of healing that defy modern medicine and aren't just a here and there thing, but a daily thing. I am at the mere entrance of this freeing of Holy Spirit. It is not something that is just going to happen. It's supernatural and cannot be forced, bought, or rushed. I truly believe that God's preparing us for something great and those that are seeking Him and His will are going to be amazed when things begin to speed up and happen...because time is short and Jesus is coming soon.
    I believe God is preparing us also!

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    13,586
    Blog Entries
    54
    Rep Power
    189

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by Awakened View Post
    I'm sorry, you lost me. Lol
    People don't expect to see those two events because they happened for a purpose.

    So did the powers and gifts of the Apostles.

    Miracles still occur but there is a purpose behind them and its not men's pride or showing off.

    Not caused by works done by men.
    Grace777x70 and Awakened like this.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Awakened's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    127
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by samuel23 View Post
    Hi Awakened: God gives us the Holy Spirit when we ask Jesus to be our Savior and commit out life to God...that is how I received the Holy Spirit. I have received healings from God a few times, have seen a few supernatural things from God, I can think of two occasions when Jesus talked directly to me, one when God the Father talked to me, I saw Jesus one time in a spiritual experience. There are others, I don't talk about such things too much because sometimes you get a bad reaction from people.
    Thank you, for sharing! ❤

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2015
    Age
    53
    Posts
    4,112
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    85

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by mystdancer50 View Post
    This has been a pressing question on my mind for a long time...and it is becoming all the more urgent of late...and I believe there is a reason.

    I consider the fact that Peter could just tell a person that he has no gold but he could bring restoration to the man and tell him to get up and walk...and he did! I consider all the miracles of Elijah and Elisha, preparation for the Messiah and all He would do...and I asked God, "Why are there sick people in our church? Why are there amazing healings at revivals but not everyday?" There should be, I believe.

    The biggest reason God has shown me of late is that Holy Spirit is hindered. There are things preventing Him from having complete access and control. We are told that things loosed in Heaven are loosed on earth and vice versa and so it is with things bound...so we have done things that are preventing healings the way they were in Jesus' day and in the day of the disciples.

    No, it isn't a "then and now" thing. It's a spiritual warfare thing. The ones that are sensitive and seek guidance and wisdom and understanding will begin to receive answers and then see the miracles begin to come and soon we will hear, again, about "pockets" of healing that defy modern medicine and aren't just a here and there thing, but a daily thing. I am at the mere entrance of this freeing of Holy Spirit. It is not something that is just going to happen. It's supernatural and cannot be forced, bought, or rushed. I truly believe that God's preparing us for something great and those that are seeking Him and His will are going to be amazed when things begin to speed up and happen...because time is short and Jesus is coming soon.

    The Spirit keeps saying to me that He is coming soon too.

    I asked God once why He doesn't seem to give the gift of healing so much as in the NT. The answer I got was He can't find many He can trust with the gift.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2013
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,575
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Lady comes to preacher and says, 'My calves hurt, why don't you pray for me'.

    The preacher says, "Why do you wear 8 inch high healed shoes?"

    That's a made-up scenario, but it's a practical illustration. If someone's legs hurt, and he's been standing up for 18 hours, doe she need a miracle, or does he need to sit down. Paul told Timothy to take some wine for his stomach's sake. Some people use that as some sort of evidence that miracles were ceasing. That's a rather weak argument.

    We need to realize that the apostles were human beings who believed God. Peter was able to walk on water while he believed. He doubted and he sank. So they probably didn't just do miracles like Superman automatically flies and uses x-ray vision. Maybe they did just declare people healed on the spot through the moving of the Spirit, or just because they believed God.

    But I notice that Peter knelt down and prayed before raising Dorcas from the dead. Raising someone from the dead can have some implications. Can you imagine if Dorcas' husband had just hurried up and married her sister or something because his wife was gone and he had some kids or grandkids in the house to take care of, he needed a wife, and she needed a husband? (Romantic story, I know. This is totally hypothetical.) Then, if Peter came along, and raised Dorcas, they'd have to sort that out. I don't think that had happened. But maybe Peter was praying for the will of God on this, and leading from the Spirit. Or maybe his prayer had to do with strengthening his own faith.

    Paul saw that the lame man in Lystra had the faith to be healed before telling him to stand up.

    Paul got sick fairly early on in his ministry, at least by Acts 16. When Paul first went to the Galatians, he wrote in Galatians, that he had an infirmity. He said they would have given him their own eyes. So he may have had an eye illness at that point. This was early, probably the churches mentioned in Acts 14. If not then, Paul was in Galatia by Acts 16. he did many great miracles after that. It doesn't make sense to say that Paul's ability to do miracles dried up because of cessationism in Galatia, because he did many great miracles after that. Yet people will use the same argument about Timothy, when it isn't all that clear that he was actually sick at the time, and Paul was giving him some practical advice. Maybe Paul was commenting more on tee-totalerism than his health per se.
    Awakened likes this.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Awakened's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    127
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Quote Originally Posted by presidente View Post
    Lady comes to preacher and says, 'My calves hurt, why don't you pray for me'.

    The preacher says, "Why do you wear 8 inch high healed shoes?"

    That's a made-up scenario, but it's a practical illustration. If someone's legs hurt, and he's been standing up for 18 hours, doe she need a miracle, or does he need to sit down. Paul told Timothy to take some wine for his stomach's sake. Some people use that as some sort of evidence that miracles were ceasing. That's a rather weak argument.

    We need to realize that the apostles were human beings who believed God. Peter was able to walk on water while he believed. He doubted and he sank. So they probably didn't just do miracles like Superman automatically flies and uses x-ray vision. Maybe they did just declare people healed on the spot through the moving of the Spirit, or just because they believed God.

    But I notice that Peter knelt down and prayed before raising Dorcas from the dead. Raising someone from the dead can have some implications. Can you imagine if Dorcas' husband had just hurried up and married her sister or something because his wife was gone and he had some kids or grandkids in the house to take care of, he needed a wife, and she needed a husband? (Romantic story, I know. This is totally hypothetical.) Then, if Peter came along, and raised Dorcas, they'd have to sort that out. I don't think that had happened. But maybe Peter was praying for the will of God on this, and leading from the Spirit. Or maybe his prayer had to do with strengthening his own faith.

    Paul saw that the lame man in Lystra had the faith to be healed before telling him to stand up.

    Paul got sick fairly early on in his ministry, at least by Acts 16. When Paul first went to the Galatians, he wrote in Galatians, that he had an infirmity. He said they would have given him their own eyes. So he may have had an eye illness at that point. This was early, probably the churches mentioned in Acts 14. If not then, Paul was in Galatia by Acts 16. he did many great miracles after that. It doesn't make sense to say that Paul's ability to do miracles dried up because of cessationism in Galatia, because he did many great miracles after that. Yet people will use the same argument about Timothy, when it isn't all that clear that he was actually sick at the time, and Paul was giving him some practical advice. Maybe Paul was commenting more on tee-totalerism than his health per se.
    They were human beings, filled with the Holy Spirit. To me that makes them much greater than Superman. Lol ☺

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 2nd, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,660
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    In my life the supernatural usually happened when I did not expect it and usually when I was having a hard time, the supernatural can still happen, one time the Lord put gas in my car so I could make it to work that week. Jesus is the same, we don't want to ever forget that God can do the supernatural for us, but we should never assume that He will.
    Awakened likes this.

  19. #39
    popeye
    Guest

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    joaniemarie likes this.

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2017
    Age
    60
    Posts
    779
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Don’t We See Miracles Like the Apostles Did?

    Wow. I do not understand most of the folks on this thread. There simply are NOT any Jesus-style miracles occurring today. It's...just...not...happening. I understand people want a sign from heaven. We ALL want a sign. We'd all love to be held safely in the arms of Jesus. But that comes later.

    Right now, the emphasis is "faith is the substance of things unseen". We're supposed to live "by faith and not by sight". But there are many who want to cut that corner. They want to see heaven before heaven gets here (with the return of the King).

    Yes, I've heard all the stories about "some guy in Africa...and this was about 12 years ago...and I heard this from a friend of a friend who heard a missionary speaker tell about a resurrection". Is this like...a fifth-hand story?

    The sign gifts are meant for your eyeballs only. Not to be received fifth-hand, 16 years after the fact and from a distance of 10,000 miles. If you want the sign gift to have the intended effect, it needs to happen directly in front of the eyewitness. Not two years, fourth-hand, at a distance of a thousand miles.

    I have had a number of my Charismatic friends say "oh, but you have little faith, my friend!". I tell them- "let me correct that - I have ZERO faith...zero faith in this fifth-hand story. But in God's Word, I hope I have a TON of faith!"
    plainguy likes this.
    My 'e-booklet' - The Great Apostasy Plot

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. new apostles
    By jonathanbchristian in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: July 8th, 2015, 10:18 AM
  2. Where did all the apostles go?
    By achduke in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: August 27th, 2014, 07:43 PM
  3. the 12 apostles
    By jonathanbchristian in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 14th, 2012, 03:33 PM
  4. Apostles!
    By jonathanbchristian in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: June 10th, 2011, 05:36 AM
  5. The Apostles
    By resurrection33 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 11th, 2011, 05:35 PM