Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree25Likes
  • 8 Post By von1
  • 3 Post By jenniferand2
  • 3 Post By 88
  • 2 Post By Grace777x70
  • 1 Post By MadebyHim
  • 1 Post By dcontroversal
  • 1 Post By BeyondET
  • 1 Post By FlyByKnights
  • 1 Post By Joidevivre
  • 2 Post By tanakh
  • 1 Post By Stunnedbygrace
  • 1 Post By prove-all

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Does Things Happen For Reason?

  1. #1
    Senior Member von1's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2010
    Age
    53
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Does Things Happen For Reason?

    I wonder does things happen for a reason. I do a devotional everyday, for some reason i ended up on the page dated for Jan 30 2017. I didn't even notice i was on the page until i was almost finished. Anyway i will share the verses from that devotional maybe it will help encourage someone. I know it help encourage me, what beautiful words.

    Matthew 6:19-21

    Treasures in Heaven

    19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jenniferand2's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2016
    Age
    44
    Posts
    896
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by von1 View Post
    I wonder does things happen for a reason. I do a devotional everyday, for some reason i ended up on the page dated for Jan 30 2017. I didn't even notice i was on the page until i was almost finished. Anyway i will share the verses from that devotional maybe it will help encourage someone. I know it help encourage me, what beautiful words.

    Matthew 6:19-21

    Treasures in Heaven

    19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth,where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
    I have been told things happen for a reason and I believe that. I have learned from things that have happened for a reason ad I have grown from that. I have also feared from things that have happened for a reason and have learned to try to change things. I never know the reasons for some things happening like me being in an abusive relationship for 20 years. I can only think that it was to teach me that even through all the bad I have been through I am slowly trying to come out on the other side. I get mad at God sometimes for having me feel stuck for so long where I am at but it is not his fault I just did not get the message through sooner. So yes things always happen for a reason....it is to help you learn and grow. or to crumble and fall both being your choice.
    von1, Grace777x70 and Galatea like this.
    Let He Who lives without sin cast the first stone.

  3. #3


    88
    88 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2016
    Age
    62
    Posts
    985
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Yes they do---- sometimes the weird things that happen are planned by God...
    von1, Grace777x70 and Galatea like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Grace777x70's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    14,821
    Rep Power
    136

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    We also live in a corrupted world and we have an enemy that hates us and our Lord. Stuff happens - like the storm that came upon the disciples while Jesus was sleeping. Jesus got up and rebuked the wind and rebuked the disciples for their hardness of heart to believe.
    von1 and Galatea like this.
    The new man in Christ - the new creation that is created in righteousness and

    holiness hears the heart voice of the Spirit and not an old head noise of the letter

    of the word. The Pharisees knew "bible knowledge" but they did not

    know God's heart and so they erred in really understanding what the

    scriptures were saying.


    The Lord wants us to look through His eyes and to live from His heart towards

    people, towards Him and towards ourselves as well.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2013
    Age
    44
    Posts
    289
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Yes, and no, the Bible says the rain falls on the just and the unjust; another wards life just happens. Then there are appointed times by the Lord, just look at the book of Ester and the providence of G-d. But, and it’s a BIG BUT, we can always rely on the omnipotence and omnipresence of G-d in our lives.

  6. #6
    Senior Member von1's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2010
    Age
    53
    Posts
    533
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Thanks for sharing,

  7. #7
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    7,933
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Do things happen for a reason?

    This is a difficult question because there are many answers which are true but
    do not answer the question that people ask.

    Why did my son die in the car crash? Was there a reason?
    Why did I survive a fatal accident?

    We are here because God willed it.
    Bad stuff happens because we rejected God and walked our own way and
    are born into this rebellious independent world full of sin.

    God uses everything to bring His sons and daughters to glory.
    The rest is the consequences of Gods blessing and His judgments.

    Each day we rise because God has chosen to give us and the world another
    day to find Him and to bless us with His great gifts of life and love.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2016
    Age
    53
    Posts
    76
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    i believe things happen for a reason yes. Not saying that God brings everything on us, God brings us through the hard times. God is all Good, and He loves us. satan is the tempter, he hates us and God, and tries making God's people miserable. But that misery can be turned to strength, and joy, when we turn to God. It's all temporary right now. Try not getting mad at God when these things come on us, that just gives the evil one more power. Remember God loves you, me, every one. He is her for us, and not here against us. Peace of our lord Christ Jesus be with us all.
    von1 likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    50
    Posts
    16,236
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    79

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Do things happen for a reason?.........you bet they do! <----Solomon said time and chance happen unto all.........
    von1 likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BeyondET's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2016
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,463
    Rep Power
    36

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Well my thoughts would be, everything created has a purpose, one blade of grass has a reason to be 'a purpose'...

    To comprehend a reason even in the unreasonable, sometimes it may well be a large pill to swallow but things have a reason a purpose as to why this or that...
    von1 likes this.
    Beyond Earth Treasures Soar On Galaxy Cantus Firmus Rising To The Kingdom Of God


  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2016
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Hey von1,

    I think there are things that happen for a reason, and i want to give you one (probably one of many for this). Back story: There is a bunch of us doing a Daniel fast. It ends on the 29th at midnight. At the end of it there is a decision i have to make...an important one. That verse is very helpful in that decision. The last portion,"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also", will probably influence me heavily. Thanks,

    -Ron
    von1 likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    71
    Posts
    16,282
    Rep Power
    142

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Some things happen for a reason, some things don't. Usually, things just happen.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Joidevivre's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2014
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,301
    Blog Entries
    456
    Rep Power
    79

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    My painful struggles now are for a reason. At first I chose to walk through them with Jesus beside me. But one morning, I saw him in my prayers holding out his hand and asking me to join Him in what HE wanted to walk through. Which was very difficult treatment on cancer - radiation - surgery and reconstruction - and chemo.

    This changed my perspective. It was sort of like instead of surrendering to what was and (dragging for lack of a better description) Jesus through it with me, I now saw Him inviting me to join Him in what HE wanted to do. I chose to take his hand and just watch to see what He would do through all of this next season in my life.

    That picture was all I needed to know that God was first in all of what I'm going through. He is leading - and He will ultimately be glorified.
    Last edited by Joidevivre; 1 Week Ago at 03:52 PM.
    von1 likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    7,933
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    Some things happen for a reason, some things don't. Usually, things just happen.
    This is the nihilistic, atheist viewpoint. The straw man is there is great purpose around
    stuff, when things are actually a lot simpler.

    There is a time to be born and a time to die, a time to begin and a time to end, yet
    we always want things to be put off, for things to go our way, to be fair in our mind,
    either a binary, I have been good so good things should happen, I have been bad so
    bad things should happen.

    So much is actually about the bigger picture, but that takes faith, love and hope,
    a good heart, and to see real need. God is a God of passion, so much passion
    His love sent Him to the cross for us, yet we bumble through the day like it is
    any other, feeling safe and secure and hoping things go well and we are not hurt.

    Spot the difference.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  15. #15
    Senior Member tanakh's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2015
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,806
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterJens View Post
    This is the nihilistic, atheist viewpoint. The straw man is there is great purpose around
    stuff, when things are actually a lot simpler.

    There is a time to be born and a time to die, a time to begin and a time to end, yet
    we always want things to be put off, for things to go our way, to be fair in our mind,
    either a binary, I have been good so good things should happen, I have been bad so
    bad things should happen.

    So much is actually about the bigger picture, but that takes faith, love and hope,
    a good heart, and to see real need. God is a God of passion, so much passion
    His love sent Him to the cross for us, yet we bumble through the day like it is
    any other, feeling safe and secure and hoping things go well and we are not hurt.

    Spot the difference.
    This might sound simplistic but we live in a fallen world. I believe good things are brought about by God and bad things by the Devil. A few days ago a seven year old girl was going home from school and was murdered by another Fifteen year old mentally disturbed Girl. I fail to see anything good coming from this at all either in the shorter or wider view of things.
    It was a purely evil sensless act.
    dcontroversal and Grace777x70 like this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Grace777x70's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    14,821
    Rep Power
    136

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by tanakh View Post
    This might sound simplistic but we live in a fallen world. I believe good things are brought about by God and bad things by the Devil. A few days ago a seven year old girl was going home from school and was murdered by another Fifteen year old mentally disturbed Girl. I fail to see anything good coming from this at all either in the shorter or wider view of things.
    It was a purely evil sensless act.

    I agree...sometimes we try to use our humanistic thoughts to attribute all things unto God which is complete foolishness IMO.

    Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil - He didn't come to fight against His Father if God is "doing all things".

    God can however take any situation and somehow make good come out of it but He doesn't cause it in order to "make good things to happen".
    The new man in Christ - the new creation that is created in righteousness and

    holiness hears the heart voice of the Spirit and not an old head noise of the letter

    of the word. The Pharisees knew "bible knowledge" but they did not

    know God's heart and so they erred in really understanding what the

    scriptures were saying.


    The Lord wants us to look through His eyes and to live from His heart towards

    people, towards Him and towards ourselves as well.

  17. #17
    Senior Member PeterJens's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    7,933
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by tanakh View Post
    This might sound simplistic but we live in a fallen world. I believe good things are brought about by God and bad things by the Devil. A few days ago a seven year old girl was going home from school and was murdered by another Fifteen year old mentally disturbed Girl. I fail to see anything good coming from this at all either in the shorter or wider view of things.
    It was a purely evil sensless act.
    A person is murdered. A sin commited. Evil allowed to grow, and bring for sinful actions.
    Responsibility missed, care not given, danger not foreseen, negligence maybe commited and
    great harm the result. Who is innocent and who is guilty? What could have been done, or
    should have been done? Where is the trust and the love?

    So many interplays of peoples lives, of authority, of parents, of abuse, of sin.
    So I am not being simplistic, I am saying so many issues inter-work, we may not see but
    the surface, but it all exists.
    I share "Jesus Christ and him crucified" 1 cor 2:2
    "He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 cor 15:57

    The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2015
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,201
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    It helps me to remember this: you meant it for evil but God meant it for good.
    He works ALL things to our good. We just don't always see that right away, and especially not in the trial. It's afterwards that we come to see it.
    Grace777x70 likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member prove-all's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 16th, 2014
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,927
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Ecclesiastes 9:11 (KJV)

    I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong,
    neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill;


    but time and chance happeneth to them all.

  20. #20
    Senior Member prove-all's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 16th, 2014
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,927
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Does Things Happen For Reason?

    Romans 9:21 (KJV)

    Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make
    one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
    oldethennew likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Things you never thought would happen to you.
    By Samantha1234 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: July 29th, 2016, 03:23 AM
  2. Why does God allow certain things to happen
    By Learing_gemini29 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 19th, 2015, 10:57 PM
  3. Why God allows bad things to happen?
    By AustinT in forum Christian Young Adults Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 27th, 2014, 12:21 PM
  4. Why God allows bad things to happen?
    By AustinT in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 14th, 2014, 08:20 PM
  5. Why God lets things happen to us
    By DreaMo in forum Testimonies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2013, 04:59 AM