Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 538
Like Tree275Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: GIANTS

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 2nd, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,652
    Rep Power
    0

    Default GIANTS

    Folks I realize that this is not a critical issue, however I hear so much about the giants in the bible being the offspring of angels and humans...THE BIBLE DOES NOT SAY THAT. There were two declarations made, one was that there were giants in the earth in those days...STOP... the other was that when the sons of God(angels) took the daughters of men that they bore men of great ability. Two things that it is describing, one is giants, who were before and after the flood, the other is a hybrid between an angel and a human that only appeared before the flood. Think please, for a five foot six inch ,130 pound woman, to produce a ten foot eight hundred pound man, that would mean that her husband had to be fifteen feet tall and weigh fourteen hundred pounds. It would be like trying to cross a male mastiff with a female wiener dog. First the sex act is not gonna happen and even if it did the wiener dog would die way before birth time...same with a human woman trying to have a sixty pound baby...not going to happen. The offspring of women and angels were normal in height and weight but built with incredible strength and speed and toughness. The giants are kind of a mystery since they were before and after the flood and I have never been able to trace their ancestors with any success.
    JIMBO43 likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    314

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Scriptures explicitly state that creatures reproduce after their own kind. That should rule out any thinking along the lines of humans having the offspring of angels. The sons of God are of the line of Seth, God worshipers. The daughters of men are of the line of Cain, pagans. Idolatry is always the end result when people who believe in the One True God marry those who don't.
    garee likes this.


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 2nd, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,652
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: GIANTS

    I sometimes wish that I could agree with some of your ideas, it makes things much less complicated. Questions, if the sons of God were only human then why would the bible say that their offspring were men of unusual ability? Also, why would Jude speak of angels who were imprisoned because they left their place and went after strange flesh(this was in the context of sex). Also, why would any man who had an earthly father be called a son of God. He would be the son of (name of earthly dad).

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2016
    Age
    23
    Posts
    459
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Hagrid is a half-giant. Are you trying to say Hagrid doesn't exist? :O
    Magenta and ROSSELLA like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    314

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Various Scriptures attesting to the fact that human beings are the sons of God.

    Jesus said to them,
    "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage, but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; for they cannot even die anymore, because they are like angels, and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection."

    For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

    The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

    For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

    He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,

    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

    But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.
    AllenW likes this.


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 2nd, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,652
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: GIANTS

    O my, of course those of us in Christ are called the children of God, sons and daughters of God...because we are saved and have been adopted into the family of God. No human male except Adam and Jesus were called a son of God by heredity. So my previous statement stands, why would those men in the bible be called the sons of God if they had an earthly father? Neither Adam nor Jesus had an earthly father and therefore were called sons of God, meaning that they were created by God, Adam from the dust of the ground and Jesus in the womb of Mary.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,152
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    314

    Default Re: GIANTS

    You say you accept Scripture and then you deny them. Are you a son of God or not?


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bladerunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,748
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Quote Originally Posted by samuel23 View Post
    Folks I realize that this is not a critical issue, however I hear so much about the giants in the bible being the offspring of angels and humans...THE BIBLE DOES NOT SAY THAT. There were two declarations made, one was that there were giants in the earth in those days...STOP... the other was that when the sons of God(angels) took the daughters of men that they bore men of great ability. Two things that it is describing, one is giants, who were before and after the flood, the other is a hybrid between an angel and a human that only appeared before the flood. Think please, for a five foot six inch ,130 pound woman, to produce a ten foot eight hundred pound man, that would mean that her husband had to be fifteen feet tall and weigh fourteen hundred pounds. It would be like trying to cross a male mastiff with a female wiener dog. First the sex act is not gonna happen and even if it did the wiener dog would die way before birth time...same with a human woman trying to have a sixty pound baby...not going to happen. The offspring of women and angels were normal in height and weight but built with incredible strength and speed and toughness. The giants are kind of a mystery since they were before and after the flood and I have never been able to trace their ancestors with any success.


    Try Genesis 6:1-4

    REad carefully and do not twist the words. Believe just what they say. "There where Giants in those days"
    JIMBO43 likes this.
    Like the Bereans in Acts 17:11 (KJV) "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

    With Jesus Christ as your savior, The Holy Spirit will teach you if you are willing to learn from Him. He will guide you in daily activities if you will listen to Him. He will protect and maintain your soul in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit if you will let Him.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 2nd, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,652
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: GIANTS

    I am a son of God through the new birth, I am a son of man by natural birth, all men are sons of men except Adam and Jesus, Adam because God made him from the dust and Jesus because God made him in the womb of Mary. So the sons of God are called sons of God because they had no earthly father. The bible always identifies men by the name of their father.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2017
    Age
    62
    Posts
    45
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: GIANTS

    yes. i believe you have a good point. see the Book of Enoch as Lord GOD speaks highly of Enoch
    JIMBO43 likes this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bladerunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,748
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Quote Originally Posted by samuel23 View Post
    I am a son of God through the new birth, I am a son of man by natural birth, all men are sons of men except Adam and Jesus, Adam because God made him from the dust and Jesus because God made him in the womb of Mary. So the sons of God are called sons of God because they had no earthly father. The bible always identifies men by the name of their father.

    I am sorry,, I never meet a 'Son of God' here on earth yet? I guess you have not sinned after your rebirth. When you are taken into heaven and given that new body that is incapable of sin, then you will become "Son of God" Until then,,, you'll have to just deal with the lowly 'son of man' title.

    Jesus is "Son of God" and also "Son of Man"

    Like the Bereans in Acts 17:11 (KJV) "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

    With Jesus Christ as your savior, The Holy Spirit will teach you if you are willing to learn from Him. He will guide you in daily activities if you will listen to Him. He will protect and maintain your soul in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit if you will let Him.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 2nd, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,652
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Ok Blade...have anything to say about the subject? Note, I do not go around calling myself a son of God, but I had to agree with Magenta that son of God is a title given to those who are in Christ through the new birth.
    pottersclay likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    14,178
    Blog Entries
    57
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Quote Originally Posted by samuel23 View Post
    O my, of course those of us in Christ are called the children of God, sons and daughters of God...because we are saved and have been adopted into the family of God. No human male except Adam and Jesus were called a son of God by heredity. So my previous statement stands, why would those men in the bible be called the sons of God if they had an earthly father? Neither Adam nor Jesus had an earthly father and therefore were called sons of God, meaning that they were created by God, Adam from the dust of the ground and Jesus in the womb of Mary.
    Solomon was called the son of God

    The nation of Israel is called God's firstborn son.

    Exodus 4:22-23
    "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, 'Thus says the LORD, "Israel is My son, My firstborn. "So I said to you, 'Let My son go that he may serve Me'; but you have refused to let him go Behold, I will kill your son, your firstborn."'"

    2 Samuel 7:14
    "I will be a father to him and he will be a son to Me; when he commits iniquity, I will correct him with the rod of men and the strokes of the sons of men,

    1 Chronicles 17:13
    "I will be his father and he shall be My son; and I will not take My lovingkindness away from him, as I took it from him who was before you.
    Last edited by Ariel82; February 18th, 2017 at 10:33 PM.
    Magenta likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    14,178
    Blog Entries
    57
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Acts 17
    24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’[a] As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’[b]

    29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.
    Magenta likes this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Sac49's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2016
    Posts
    578
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: GIANTS

    I am sorry but the question seems to have shifted here. Are you still wondering about the "giants" mentioned in the Bible or has it switched to the meaning of "sons of God"? Before i try to discuss the OP i would like to know which one you want to discuss. Not trying to be rude just an honest question.
    Magenta likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member JosephsDreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,494
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    Scriptures explicitly state that creatures reproduce after their own kind. That should rule out any thinking along the lines of humans having the offspring of angels. The sons of God are of the line of Seth, God worshipers. The daughters of men are of the line of Cain, pagans. Idolatry is always the end result when people who believe in the One True God marry those who don't.
    This is something I have put a lot of time and study into, and I can not disagree more. The bible backs my conclusion up. Not only that, but there is plenty of extra biblical proof.
    I just do not feel like getting into the examples and quotes and other proof of it. Not now anyway.

    And to the OP, this subject very well may have current implications. So don't be so sure that it is irrelevant.
    Jimbone likes this.
    Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
    John 8:32

    And now these three remain; faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    1 Cor. 13:13


    Give ​peas a chance !



  17. #17
    Senior Member JosephsDreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,494
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    Solomon was called the son of God

    The nation of Israel is called God's firstborn son.

    Exodus 4:22-23
    "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, 'Thus says the LORD, "Israel is My son, My firstborn. "So I said to you, 'Let My son go that he may serve Me'; but you have refused to let him go Behold, I will kill your son, your firstborn."'"

    2 Samuel 7:14
    "I will be a father to him and he will be a son to Me; when he commits iniquity, I will correct him with the rod of men and the strokes of the sons of men,

    1 Chronicles 17:13
    "I will be his father and he shall be My son; and I will not take My loving kindness away from him, as I took it from him who was before you.
    I stay away from the BDF for this reason. So many are not taking into account context. And exegesis.
    Jimbone, jaybird88 and sevenseas like this.
    Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
    John 8:32

    And now these three remain; faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    1 Cor. 13:13


    Give ​peas a chance !



  18. #18
    Senior Member JosephsDreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,494
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    Various Scriptures attesting to the fact that human beings are the sons of God.

    Jesus said to them,
    "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage, but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage; for they cannot even die anymore, because they are like angels, and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection."

    For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

    The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

    For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

    He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,

    Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

    But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.
    "... because they are like angels, and are sons of God, ..."

    You realize what you just did?
    Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
    John 8:32

    And now these three remain; faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
    1 Cor. 13:13


    Give ​peas a chance !



  19. #19
    Senior Member JustWhoIAm's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2016
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: GIANTS

    Sorry. I have a great deal of difficulty agreeing with this thread.

    My opinion is that aliens might be in one way or another getting involved in tampering with our DNA, make of that what you will.

    Controlled bloodlines are a reality.
    Hungry likes this.
    Mommy, where's fluffy?

  20. #20
    Senior Member JustWhoIAm's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2016
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: GIANTS

    What you are saying about those giants might be true.

    There are different types of humans. They had no convincing natural reason to adapt the way they did to wherever it is they all split off to after the flood.

    4400 years ago.
    Mommy, where's fluffy?

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where happened to the giants?
    By jaybird88 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: January 13th, 2015, 10:06 AM
  2. giants foot print
    By mrb29678 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 10th, 2013, 09:51 PM
  3. Who were the giants and sons of God in Genesis 6
    By oldmanbill in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 28th, 2012, 01:59 PM
  4. Facing the Giants
    By Jullianna in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: June 6th, 2011, 09:39 AM
  5. Every Promised Land Has Its Giants
    By 1still_waters in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2009, 02:59 AM