Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
Like Tree48Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

  1. #1
    Senior Member MessageOfTheCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2016
    Age
    54
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Or are you are blessed and in good standing with God because of what Jesus did for you on the Cross of Calvary -- not because of what you do?

    What does the Word of God say?
    Last edited by MessageOfTheCross; March 15th, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
    Grace777x70 likes this.
    For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2

  2. #2
    Senior Member Willie-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    72
    Posts
    18,826
    Rep Power
    190

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MessageOfTheCross View Post
    Or are you are blessed and in good standing with God because of what Jesus did for you on the Cross of Calvary -- not because of what you do?

    What does the Word of God say?
    If you choose to be, I guess you could be cursed by most anything.
    resurrection33 and Exodus1 like this.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    “True eloquence consists of saying all that is necessary, and only that which is .” François Duc De La Rochefoucauld
    I am the righteousness of God, in Christ Jesus.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    15,507
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    286

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MessageOfTheCross View Post
    What does the Word of God say?
    Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  4. #4
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,119
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    89

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Lets put it this way. Do you believe in sowing and reaping? Do you believe in God's word that states those who give sparingly reap sparingly, and those that sow bountifully reap bountifully? Okay, so if giving leads to increase (prosperity, multiplication, etc) and one chooses to not give, will this have a negative effect upon their financial status? Or rather, instead of thinking upon the negative, will this limit their potential as far as how much they can gain in order that they may give?

    You see, a person can choose to withhold their money, but to do such a thing is bad stewardship. If giving leads to multiplication as opposed to subtraction (how the world might see it, you give and you end up with less) then why not give? It might be considered irresponsible to not give, because through giving one can have a greater impact.

    Is it a curse? Well, it surely isn't a blessing to not give and you are not only robbing yourself but others when you withhold your hand.

  5. #5
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    50
    Posts
    20,913
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    161

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    "If you do not listen, and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My name," says the LORD of hosts, "then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings; and indeed, I have cursed them already, because you are not taking it to heart.
    Exodus1 likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Desertsrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,856
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MessageOfTheCross View Post
    Or are you are blessed and in good standing with God because of what Jesus did for you on the Cross of Calvary -- not because of what you do?

    What does the Word of God say?

    Hi Message,

    There's no such thing as tithing today.

    There's no curses for those who are in Christ. He became a curse for us by hanging on the cross (tree). Galatians 3:13

    He has told you, O man, what is good;

    And what does the Lord require of you
    But to do justice, to love kindness,
    And to walk humbly with your God?
    Micah 6:8




  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 15th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    The word of God says those who have the mind and spirit of Christ Jesus are blessed, Matthew 5.1-12. Sometimes, following Christ can cause problems, verse 10-11. But the blessed state still exists, verse 12.
    The blessings of being a follower of Christ are not for sale. They are not on the open market reserved for the highest bidder.
    Grace777x70 and Exodus1 like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member MessageOfTheCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2016
    Age
    54
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Desertsrose View Post

    Hi Message,

    There's no such thing as tithing today.

    There's no curses for those who are in Christ. He became a curse for us by hanging on the cross (tree). Galatians 3:13
    But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

    As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. Gal. 1:8-9

    As you read, you can be in Christ and be cursed.

    Last edited by MessageOfTheCross; March 15th, 2017 at 06:39 PM.
    Desertsrose likes this.
    For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2

  9. #9
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,024
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Tithing was part of the old covenant, therefore no tithes, giving is another issue altogether.

    Get yer facts straight.
    Exodus1 likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2012
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,344
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MessageOfTheCross View Post
    Or are you are blessed and in good standing with God because of what Jesus did for you on the Cross of Calvary -- not because of what you do?

    What does the Word of God say?
    2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

    As Magenta had shared earlier this verse, do consider that if we were really being cursed for not tithing, then that means we have to tithe and thus giving out of necessity and without a doubt, cause some to give grudgingly and so how can God love a cheerful giver when they have to give to avoid a curse?

    For all the emphasis on tithing that comes with a curse for not doing so, the churches in the N.T. sure have not been warned in this fashion to avoid.

    God loves a cheerful giver; not a coerced one, albeit He still loves the latter, but He is not forcing any one to give.
    NotmebutHim and Exodus1 like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,119
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    89

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    Tithing was part of the old covenant, therefore no tithes, giving is another issue altogether.

    Get yer facts straight.
    Tithing predates the Old Covenant. Look at Abraham and Melchizedek. For one to simply dismiss it because it was in the Law is incorrect. It predates it.

  12. #12
    Senior Member MessageOfTheCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2016
    Age
    54
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    3 Then the word of the Lord came by Haggai the prophet, saying, 4 Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, and this temple[a] to lie in ruins?” 5 Now therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: “Consider your ways!

    6
    “You have sown much, and bring in little;
    You eat, but do not have enough;
    You drink, but you are not filled with drink;
    You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm;
    And he who earns wages,
    Earns wages to put into a bag with holes.”


    7 Thus says the Lord of hosts: “Consider your ways! 8 Go up to the mountains and bring wood and build the temple, that I may take pleasure in it and be glorified,” says the Lord. 9 You looked for much, but indeed it came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why?” says the Lord of hosts. “Because of My house that is in ruins, while every one of you runs to his own house.
    10 Therefore the heavens above you withhold the dew, and the earth withholds its fruit. Haggai 1:3-10

    Do you believe to divert money from God's Work to personal use causes poverty of the soul and oftentimes of pocket as well? Is the Lord telling us from the above scripture He can bless the harvest or not bless it, and our putting His Work first procures His Blessing?

    Does the scripture teach us that it doesn't matter how much money you make; if you are ignoring My Will, it won't be enough to pay the bills. Conversely, if you don't make a lot of money, I can make what you do have stretch?

    And he who earns wages,
    Earns wages to put into a bag with holes.”

    “Consider your ways!"






    For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2012
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,344
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MessageOfTheCross View Post
    3 Then the word of the Lord came by Haggai the prophet, saying, 4 Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, and this temple[a] to lie in ruins?” 5 Now therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: “Consider your ways!

    6
    “You have sown much, and bring in little;
    You eat, but do not have enough;
    You drink, but you are not filled with drink;
    You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm;
    And he who earns wages,
    Earns wages to put into a bag with holes.”


    7 Thus says the Lord of hosts: “Consider your ways! 8 Go up to the mountains and bring wood and build the temple, that I may take pleasure in it and be glorified,” says the Lord. 9 You looked for much, but indeed it came to little; and when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why?” says the Lord of hosts. “Because of My house that is in ruins, while every one of you runs to his own house.
    10 Therefore the heavens above you withhold the dew, and the earth withholds its fruit. Haggai 1:3-10

    Do you believe to divert money from God's Work to personal use causes poverty of the soul and oftentimes of pocket as well? Is the Lord telling us from the above scripture He can bless the harvest or not bless it, and our putting His Work first procures His Blessing?

    Does the scripture teach us that it doesn't matter how much money you make; if you are ignoring My Will, it won't be enough to pay the bills. Conversely, if you don't make a lot of money, I can make what you do have stretch?

    And he who earns wages,
    Earns wages to put into a bag with holes.”

    “Consider your ways!"

    Anything from the New Testament?

    How is it that you can put emphasis on something that is nowhere seen as being that important nor urgent in the N.T.?

    How can you be a cheerful giver if you have to give to avoid a curse? That is not being a cheerful giver.

    hornetguy and Desertsrose like this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,024
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    Tithing predates the Old Covenant. Look at Abraham and Melchizedek. For one to simply dismiss it because it was in the Law is incorrect. It predates it.

    Maybe you can tithe when all your enemies are delivered into your hand with all their goodies.

    Gen 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

    I have to wonder at some of you folks...

  15. #15
    Senior Member Desertsrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 24th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,856
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MessageOfTheCross View Post
    But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

    As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. Gal. 1:8-9

    As you read, you can be in Christ and be cursed.


    So I guess you weren't really asking were you. You had an answer ready. Next time just make the comment and let others comment.

    Anyway, wrong again. No person who is born again responding to the true gospel of Jesus Christ, having our Lord's presence within is going to be preaching a false gospel. A Christian is not cursed, just the opposite in fact!

    He has told you, O man, what is good;

    And what does the Lord require of you
    But to do justice, to love kindness,
    And to walk humbly with your God?
    Micah 6:8




  16. #16
    Senior Member NotmebutHim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2015
    Age
    40
    Posts
    791
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    The tithing passage in Malachi 3 was directed at Israel. God was essentially saying that the people were robbing Him by not tithing according to the Law. There were different tithes for various reasons and occasions. And Israel had failed to keep some or all of those obligations. Therefore, they were breaking the Law and robbing God.

    That being said, I don't think it is an essential doctrinal issue as to whether Christians today "tithe" per se or not. What God looks at is, is a person giving out of his/her heart and out of gratitude for the things that He has done? In other words, no one should be condemned for tithing or for not tithing. As long as that person focuses on God.

    $0.02
    stonesoffire and Grace777x70 like this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member MessageOfTheCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2016
    Age
    54
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    And here men that die receive tithes; but there He receives them, of whom it is witnessed that He lives. Hebrews 7:8 NKJV
    For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 1 Corinthians 2:2

  18. #18
    Senior Member stonesoffire's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2013
    Age
    70
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    The tithe actually started here:

    ~Gen 28:17  In mounting terror, he cried out, "How scary this place is! This is nothing less than God's house and the gateway to heaven!"
     

    Gen 28:18  When Jacob got up early the next morning, he took the stone that he had used for his pillow, set it up as a pillar, drenched it with oil,
     

    Gen 28:19  and named the place Beth-el, although previously the city had been named Luz.
     

    Gen 28:20  Then he made this solemn vow: "If God remains with me, watches over me throughout this journey that I'm taking, gives me food to eat and clothes to wear,
     

    Gen 28:21  and returns me safely to my father's house, then the LORD will be my God,
     

    Gen 28:22  this stone that I've erected in the form of a pillar will be God's house, I'll give you a tenth of everything that you give to me."

    After he had the vision of the ladder to heaven and the angels. This is also the place where the temple was built. No temple today.

    Not under law. Led by Holy Spirit in all things.  

    Jeepers Creepers...we gotta get new peepers.

    Mat 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

  19. #19
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,467
    Rep Power
    73

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    Maybe you can tithe when all your enemies are delivered into your hand with all their goodies.

    Gen 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

    I have to wonder at some of you folks...
    And then we have immature Christians who just has this thing about liberties, and freedoms in Christ and tangle them with the you don't have to or its not right attitude.
    Tithing....well if you are led to do so then by all means. Is it required? You be the judge, as Ben said it was a practice before the law so if you feel better doing it , do it.
    Trusting God at his word is a faith builder, if you do it with your finances all the more.
    I used to tithe and to tell you the truth I miss it. The Lord has always sustained me in one way or another and still does but if you are that cheerful giver it gives you a more joyful spirit. A more giving attitude. At least it did for me.
    stonesoffire likes this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,467
    Rep Power
    73

    Default Re: Can A Christian Be Cursed Because Of Not Tithing?

    Cursing or blessings...or curse your blessings why would God want to do that to his child?

    Not to get to complicated in this matter but the Lord chastens us not curses us, but if you feel that he has cursed you then I believe only you know the reason why or you need to study the difference between conviction and condemnation.
    stonesoffire likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is tithing our 10%of income part of being a Christian?
    By NEVEAH in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: March 31st, 2015, 09:55 PM
  2. Cursed children
    By InSpiritInTruth in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: January 25th, 2015, 11:00 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: December 25th, 2014, 07:35 PM
  4. Am I Cursed?
    By peacebestill in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: November 1st, 2014, 07:59 PM
  5. am I Cursed?
    By dreda in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: November 25th, 2012, 02:10 AM