Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
Like Tree30Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: The Beauty of Liberalism

  1. #1
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    60
    Posts
    11,417
    Rep Power
    146

    Default The Beauty of Liberalism

    “And she did eat, and was sufficed, and left.” Rth_2:14

    Whenever we are privileged to eat of the bread which Jesus gives, we are, like Ruth, satisfied with the full and sweet repast. When Jesus is the host no guest goes empty from the table. Our head is satisfied with the precious truth which Christ reveals; our heart is content with Jesus, as the altogether lovely object of affection; our hope is satisfied, for whom have we in heaven but Jesus? and our desire is satiated, for what can we wish for more than “to know Christ and to be found in him?” Jesus fills our conscience till it is at perfect peace; our judgment with persuasion of the certainty of his teachings; our memory with recollections of what he has done, and our imagination with the prospects of what he is yet to do. As Ruth was “sufficed, and left,” so is it with us. We have had deep draughts; we have thought that we could take in all of Christ; but when we have done our best we have had to leave a vast remainder. We have sat at the table of the Lord’s love, and said, “Nothing but the infinite can ever satisfy me; I am such a great sinner that I must have infinite merit to wash my sin away;” but we have had our sin removed, and found that there was merit to spare; we have had our hunger relieved at the feast of sacred love, and found that there was a redundance of spiritual meat remaining. There are certain sweet things in the Word of God which we have not enjoyed yet, and which we are obliged to leave for awhile; for we are like the disciples to whom Jesus said, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.” Yes, there are graces to which we have not attained; places of fellowship nearer to Christ which we have not reached; and heights of communion which our feet have not climbed. At every banquet of love there are many baskets of fragments left. Let us magnify the liberality of our glorious Boaz.

    Charles Spurgeon from Morning and Evening.

    (And, yeah. It does truly remind me of the problem conservatism has on us and our countries. I love how Jesus fills. I also wonder... aren't we supposed to fill like a shadow of what Jesus fills us with?)
    seed_time_harvest likes this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  2. #2
    Senior Member RickyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2012
    Age
    59
    Posts
    6,850
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    I agree with this premise ... but boy are you gonna get it from the Trumpeteers on this site!

    Truth is available only to those who have the courage to question whatever they think they know.

    Mark 7:34 “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.”

  3. #3
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    60
    Posts
    11,417
    Rep Power
    146

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by RickyZ View Post
    I agree with this premise ... but boy are you gonna get it from the Trumpeteers on this site!
    Not when they/we read the devotional.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2015
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,857
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    75

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    I loved reading this, thank you!
    I don't understand the thought that liberals are giving and conservatives are stingy or withholding, but I did enjoy reading this.
    Depleted likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,681
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    (And, yeah. It does truly remind me of the problem conservatism has on us and our countries. I love how Jesus fills. I also wonder... aren't we supposed to fill like a shadow of what Jesus fills us with?)
    Before I comment on this post, I would like to hear your clarification on this statement...

    Can you elaborate?
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  6. #6
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,707
    Rep Power
    82

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    I agree with hornetguy.

    I have no idea what this Spurgeon passage has to do with the Conservative/Liberal political debate.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    523
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    I have no idea what Sturgeon is trying to get over regardless.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2015
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,857
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    75

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    I think he was trying to say...there are always more depths to plumb in God. Sometimes I get to thinking I know all about Him and then He moves me on and I realize I knew almost nothing about Him.
    kaylagrl likes this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    523
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Stunnedbygrace View Post
    I think he was trying to say...there are always more depths to plumb in God. Sometimes I get to thinking I know all about Him and then He moves me on and I realize I knew almost nothing about Him.
    That's why I've never been a fan of these homily type "sermons" - spit it out man!!!

    kaylagrl likes this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    60
    Posts
    11,417
    Rep Power
    146

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    Before I comment on this post, I would like to hear your clarification on this statement...

    Can you elaborate?
    My enjoyment of how much God fills us seems 180 degrees different in what I think (as a conservative) what others "should get." God has given all of himself to us, and yet there is still more to give that we cannot bear. There are leftovers from his giving.

    And yet, as a conservative, I find myself giving what's bare minimum for any needed only. A word, a need, money, always the least of what is needed. We certainly don't want to overabundant someone, or they'll just want more. Much like the conservative party. It's the mentality of our political beliefs, not God's.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  11. #11
    Senior Member JesusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2013
    Age
    62
    Posts
    11,508
    Blog Entries
    11
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    I took it as God gives and gives to us sinners who are so needy and in need of Him and He is and has willingly given us all of Him where the conservative thought is more on the line of maybe I don't mind giving a little but each must earn his own and I will earn my own. God is the liberal in this case giving to all of us without restraint even though none of us deserve it and a lot of conservative thought is those who don't work for it don't deserve it.

    Thank God He is very liberal with His love for all of us.

    I'm not saying conservatives don't ever give but there are a lot of hard line thinking on each must earn their own. Just my thoughts/opinion.
    seed_time_harvest likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Bladerunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2016
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,180
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    “And she did eat, and was sufficed, and left.” Rth_2:14

    Whenever we are privileged to eat of the bread which Jesus gives, we are, like Ruth, satisfied with the full and sweet repast. When Jesus is the host no guest goes empty from the table. Our head is satisfied with the precious truth which Christ reveals; our heart is content with Jesus, as the altogether lovely object of affection; our hope is satisfied, for whom have we in heaven but Jesus? and our desire is satiated, for what can we wish for more than “to know Christ and to be found in him?” Jesus fills our conscience till it is at perfect peace; our judgment with persuasion of the certainty of his teachings; our memory with recollections of what he has done, and our imagination with the prospects of what he is yet to do. As Ruth was “sufficed, and left,” so is it with us. We have had deep draughts; we have thought that we could take in all of Christ; but when we have done our best we have had to leave a vast remainder. We have sat at the table of the Lord’s love, and said, “Nothing but the infinite can ever satisfy me; I am such a great sinner that I must have infinite merit to wash my sin away;” but we have had our sin removed, and found that there was merit to spare; we have had our hunger relieved at the feast of sacred love, and found that there was a redundance of spiritual meat remaining. There are certain sweet things in the Word of God which we have not enjoyed yet, and which we are obliged to leave for awhile; for we are like the disciples to whom Jesus said, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.” Yes, there are graces to which we have not attained; places of fellowship nearer to Christ which we have not reached; and heights of communion which our feet have not climbed. At every banquet of love there are many baskets of fragments left. Let us magnify the liberality of our glorious Boaz.

    Charles Spurgeon from Morning and Evening.

    (And, yeah. It does truly remind me of the problem conservatism has on us and our countries. I love how Jesus fills. I also wonder... aren't we supposed to fill like a shadow of what Jesus fills us with?)

    Rem these words when the Rapture Happens and If you are left behind.
    Like the Bereans in Acts 17:11 (KJV) "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so."

    With Jesus Christ as your savior, The Holy Spirit will teach you if you are willing to learn from Him. He will guide you in daily activities if you will listen to Him. He will protect and maintain your soul in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit if you will let Him.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    60
    Posts
    11,417
    Rep Power
    146

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    Rem these words when the Rapture Happens and If you are left behind.
    Not a problem. The rapture happened, and I wasn't born yet.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  14. #14
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,681
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    My enjoyment of how much God fills us seems 180 degrees different in what I think (as a conservative) what others "should get." God has given all of himself to us, and yet there is still more to give that we cannot bear. There are leftovers from his giving.

    And yet, as a conservative, I find myself giving what's bare minimum for any needed only. A word, a need, money, always the least of what is needed. We certainly don't want to overabundant someone, or they'll just want more. Much like the conservative party. It's the mentality of our political beliefs, not God's.
    Ok... thanks..

    I think that "giving" to people is a double edged sword, as you hinted at... Many, many people that truly need help will gladly accept and be thankful for whatever is given to them. Others have a sense of entitlement, and for those, there is never enough to give.. they always want "more".

    And, as Jesus even told his disciples, there will always be "the poor"... it's impossible to eliminate poverty. I believe that we should do whatever we can to help the truly needy, but we should use good judgment and stewardship in the help.

    If we buy one needy family a house and a car, and all the "trimmings", we likely will not have any funds left to buy food for another family. So, how much do we give? We have to be wise with the benevolence... and it's a tough line to find, sometimes.

    I read a survey a few years back that compared charitable giving between political conservatives and liberals.... the conservatives out-gave the liberals by a HUGE margin. I wish I could find the study to post it here...

    Don't just talk the talk...
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  15. #15
    Senior Member kaylagrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2014
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,214
    Rep Power
    120

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    My enjoyment of how much God fills us seems 180 degrees different in what I think (as a conservative) what others "should get." God has given all of himself to us, and yet there is still more to give that we cannot bear. There are leftovers from his giving.

    And yet, as a conservative, I find myself giving what's bare minimum for any needed only. A word, a need, money, always the least of what is needed. We certainly don't want to overabundant someone, or they'll just want more. Much like the conservative party. It's the mentality of our political beliefs, not God's.

    Quote"We certainly don't want to overabundant someone, or they'll just want more. Much like the conservative party. It's the mentality of our political beliefs, not God's."

    No,I don't agree with that,sorry. I believe vets,elderly,poor deserve all the help they need.I have no issue with that and any conservative I know doesnt.What Im against is those playing the system.I attend a small church with mostly older folk and that little church gives more to missions and the poor than churches twice our size.They give locally,they give to needs overseas. Im not against giving in abundance.Im against the govt supporting people from cradle to grave.And God feels the same way,if you don't work you dont deserve to eat.
    hornetguy, samuel23 and TwoinSand like this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2011
    Age
    59
    Posts
    8,342
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    48

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    “And she did eat, and was sufficed, and left.” Rth_2:14

    Whenever we are privileged to eat of the bread which Jesus gives, we are, like Ruth, satisfied with the full and sweet repast. When Jesus is the host no guest goes empty from the table. Our head is satisfied with the precious truth which Christ reveals; our heart is content with Jesus, as the altogether lovely object of affection; our hope is satisfied, for whom have we in heaven but Jesus? and our desire is satiated, for what can we wish for more than “to know Christ and to be found in him?” Jesus fills our conscience till it is at perfect peace; our judgment with persuasion of the certainty of his teachings; our memory with recollections of what he has done, and our imagination with the prospects of what he is yet to do. As Ruth was “sufficed, and left,” so is it with us. We have had deep draughts; we have thought that we could take in all of Christ; but when we have done our best we have had to leave a vast remainder. We have sat at the table of the Lord’s love, and said, “Nothing but the infinite can ever satisfy me; I am such a great sinner that I must have infinite merit to wash my sin away;” but we have had our sin removed, and found that there was merit to spare; we have had our hunger relieved at the feast of sacred love, and found that there was a redundance of spiritual meat remaining. There are certain sweet things in the Word of God which we have not enjoyed yet, and which we are obliged to leave for awhile; for we are like the disciples to whom Jesus said, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.” Yes, there are graces to which we have not attained; places of fellowship nearer to Christ which we have not reached; and heights of communion which our feet have not climbed. At every banquet of love there are many baskets of fragments left. Let us magnify the liberality of our glorious Boaz.

    Charles Spurgeon from Morning and Evening.

    (And, yeah. It does truly remind me of the problem conservatism has on us and our countries. I love how Jesus fills. I also wonder... aren't we supposed to fill like a shadow of what Jesus fills us with?)
    I loved the devotional but the parting shot/statement about conservatism had christian news forum written all over It.
    TwoinSand likes this.
    IF you do not realize that the rebirth took place in your spirit then it can be confusing to your mind worshiping GOD standing in front of a physical mirror.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    60
    Posts
    11,417
    Rep Power
    146

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    I have no idea what Sturgeon is trying to get over regardless.
    Sturgeon is trying to lay eggs for caviar. lol

    (I'm sorry. I tried. I really did try, but I used to think his name was the same as the big fish in Russia that caviar comes from, and I just couldn't suppress that joke any longer. lol)
    Grandpa, JesusLives and hornetguy like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  18. #18
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    523
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    Sturgeon is trying to lay eggs for caviar. lol

    (I'm sorry. I tried. I really did try, but I used to think his name was the same as the big fish in Russia that caviar comes from, and I just couldn't suppress that joke any longer. lol)


    The whole thing sounded fishy to me....
    Grandpa likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    60
    Posts
    11,417
    Rep Power
    146

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    Ok... thanks..

    I think that "giving" to people is a double edged sword, as you hinted at... Many, many people that truly need help will gladly accept and be thankful for whatever is given to them. Others have a sense of entitlement, and for those, there is never enough to give.. they always want "more".

    And, as Jesus even told his disciples, there will always be "the poor"... it's impossible to eliminate poverty. I believe that we should do whatever we can to help the truly needy, but we should use good judgment and stewardship in the help.

    If we buy one needy family a house and a car, and all the "trimmings", we likely will not have any funds left to buy food for another family. So, how much do we give? We have to be wise with the benevolence... and it's a tough line to find, sometimes.

    I read a survey a few years back that compared charitable giving between political conservatives and liberals.... the conservatives out-gave the liberals by a HUGE margin. I wish I could find the study to post it here...

    Don't just talk the talk...
    I know we (conservatives) do give more. Just saw another study the other day. And I wonder if that isn't true because Christians tend to be conservative more often than liberal. (Tend, JesusLives, tend. Not making that a blanket statement, and I know it's not ever going to be a given, nor should it be. )

    But, yeah. I really like the way God gives us way more than we can even consume. And, yeah, somehow, when I think of giving it is always under the "how much do you need" concept. Once I learn the need, it just doesn't dawn on me to give even more than the need.

    Because God gives me the whole Thanksgiving Day spread, I'm thinking this reminds me that if I can only afford to give someone else a P & J (peanut butter and jelly sandwich -- in case that's a regionalism), how about at least adding a Hershey Kiss with it too? (Figuratively speaking. I'm not really talking just food.)
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  20. #20
    Senior Member RickyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 20th, 2012
    Age
    59
    Posts
    6,850
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: The Beauty of Liberalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post


    The whole thing sounded fishy to me....
    Eggzactly

    Truth is available only to those who have the courage to question whatever they think they know.

    Mark 7:34 “Ephphatha,” that is, “Be opened.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Awesome sermon by Dr Walter Martin on the cult of liberalism
    By Mooky in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 9th, 2017, 11:04 PM
  2. Evidence Sen. Warren is insane or terminally ill with liberalism
    By Viligant_Warrior in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 29th, 2015, 04:29 PM
  3. The one stat that devestates liberalism
    By SonInMe in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: February 10th, 2015, 09:00 PM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: June 11th, 2014, 07:54 PM
  5. Liberalism is a frightful disease
    By ada in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: December 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM