Page 154 of 215 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 4284
Like Tree3253Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Sabbath

  1. #3061
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,290
    Rep Power
    81

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by prove-all View Post
    well I do believe Acts 24 is after Acts 15, is it not?


    Acts 24:14) But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call
    a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law
    and written in the Prophets,
    See my post above...

  2. #3062
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,075
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Here's an interesting website from someone who wants to remember the Sabbath, and how they feel it should be done.


    5) Preparation for the Sabbath. If the Sabbath is to be observed properly, the entire week should be programmed in such a way that every member will be ready to welcome God's holy day when it arrives. This means that the adult family members will plan so that all household tasks--the buying and preparing of food, the readying of clothes, and all the other necessities of everyday life--will be completed before sundown Friday. The day of rest should become the pivot around which the wheel of the entire week turns. When Friday night approaches and sundown is near, adults and children will be able to greet the Sabbath with tranquility of mind, with all preparation finished, and with the home in readiness to spend the next 24 hours with God and with one another.


    https://www.adventist.org/en/informa...th-observance/

  3. #3063
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Sabbath

    What does Sabbath actually mean in Hebrew or in Greek?
    Sabbath is not necessarily attributed to a certain day, but according to the feasts Sabbaths are, depending on the New moon (month).
    Sabbath singular.

    שַׁבָּת shabbâth, shab-bawth'; intermission
    שָׁבַת shâbath, shaw-bath'; a primitive root; to repose, i.e. desist from exertion.

    The plural form is only used in the Old Testament of the KJV.

    In the New Testament day or days are usually phrased together, "Sabbath day" or Sabbath days."

    Greek...σάββατον sábbaton, sab'-bat-on; of Hebrew origin, a day of weekly repose from secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension, a se'nnight, (a week), the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications.

    So we can also see that there is such a thing as a "Sabbath week" denoting feasts that are observed for 8 days, the first and last days both being Sabbaths.

    Breaking down the Hebrew letters will give us a more in depth understanding of "Sabbath."

    שַׁ = the concept of kindness, i.e. "grace."
    בָּ = House, dwelling, kingdom, the plan of salvation.
    ת
    = sign of the cross; the
    outer region of existence. “He that has seen me has seen the Father.”

    Even if we want the 4th commandment to be abolished, one cannot deny the truth that the Sabbath represents.

  4. #3064
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2012
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,883
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by unobtrusive View Post
    What does Sabbath actually mean in Hebrew or in Greek?
    Sabbath is not necessarily attributed to a certain day, but according to the feasts Sabbaths are, depending on the New moon (month).
    Sabbath singular.

    שַׁבָּת shabbâth, shab-bawth'; intermission
    שָׁבַת shâbath, shaw-bath'; a primitive root; to repose, i.e. desist from exertion.

    The plural form is only used in the Old Testament of the KJV.

    In the New Testament day or days are usually phrased together, "Sabbath day" or Sabbath days."

    Greek...σάββατον sábbaton, sab'-bat-on; of Hebrew origin, a day of weekly repose from secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension, a se'nnight, (a week), the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications.

    So we can also see that there is such a thing as a "Sabbath week" denoting feasts that are observed for 8 days, the first and last days both being Sabbaths.

    Breaking down the Hebrew letters will give us a more in depth understanding of "Sabbath."

    שַׁ = the concept of kindness, i.e. "grace."
    בָּ = House, dwelling, kingdom, the plan of salvation.
    ת
    = sign of the cross; the
    outer region of existence. “He that has seen me has seen the Father.”

    Even if we want the 4th commandment to be abolished, one cannot deny the truth that the Sabbath represents.
    It is not abolished, but you are missing the point of the glory of God in Christ Jesus being in you, because you are GUILTLESS for PROFANING the SABBATH.

    That is why Jesus gave 2 examples of O.T. saints in having profaned the Sabbath but were guiltless because they were in the Temple and Jesus said One greater than the Temple was in this place where they were when His disciples were "profaning" the Sabbath, but they were guiltless because Jesus was with them. Matthew 12:1-7

    Jesus Christ is with you and dwelling within you. Your body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit now. That is why YOU are guiltless for profaning the Sabbath, because Jesus really is Lord of the Sabbath.

    You are free to esteem the Lord on the Sabbath day, but rest in Him because you are guiltless for profaning the Sabbath since Jesus is Lord over the Sabbath day; not the Sabbath day over Him.

  5. #3065
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Enow View Post
    It is not abolished, but you are missing the point of the glory of God in Christ Jesus being in you, because you are GUILTLESS for PROFANING the SABBATH.

    That is why Jesus gave 2 examples of O.T. saints in having profaned the Sabbath but were guiltless because they were in the Temple and Jesus said One greater than the Temple was in this place where they were when His disciples were "profaning" the Sabbath, but they were guiltless because Jesus was with them. Matthew 12:1-7

    Jesus Christ is with you and dwelling within you. Your body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit now. That is why YOU are guiltless for profaning the Sabbath, because Jesus really is Lord of the Sabbath.

    You are free to esteem the Lord on the Sabbath day, but rest in Him because you are guiltless for profaning the Sabbath since Jesus is Lord over the Sabbath day; not the Sabbath day over Him.
    Let's take it back a little in relation to what Jesus was saying in Matthew 12.

    "So the priest gave him hallowed bread: for there was no bread there but the shewbread, that was taken from before the Lord, to put hot bread in the day when it was taken away." (1 Samuel 21:6)

    Jesus mentions this when confronted by the Pharisees, and let's keep in mind that Jesus is rightly defining the law.

    "Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?" (Matthew 12:5)

    Then Jesus goes on to say that mercy (defined in the law) was the forte of its principles, precepts, persuasions, or whatever semantics you might prefer.

    Now, with all this, we can also remember that Jesus healed on the Sabbath, and got ripped for that also. I say, 'what's the difference between healing according to His mercy, and feeding the hungry according to His mercy?' This mercy doesn't make void the Sabbath because whatever is according to the original will of God is exactly what the Sabbath is for... Doing the will of God and ceasing from our own works. If we disregard the Sabbath we are also disregarding the Lord of it. He gave it to us to use, just like faith and grace.

    "But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day." (Matthew 12:6-8)

    Showing mercy on the Sabbath doesn't make the Sabbath void. By not doing God's bidding on the Sabbath is actually profaning the Sabbath. As it turns out, it was the Pharisees that were actually profaning the Sabbath because they were endorsing their doctrine instead of Jesus' doctrine.

    The words that came to Moses in Exodus chapter 16 (the story of manna and the first Sabbath recorded in scripture) were from our Saviour, who also said the things He did in Matthew 12, because "in the beginning was the Word."

    The showing of God's mercy is holy, and the 4th commandment says to remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.






  6. #3066
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2012
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,883
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by unobtrusive View Post
    "But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day." (Matthew 12:6-8)

    Showing mercy on the Sabbath doesn't make the Sabbath void. By not doing God's bidding on the Sabbath is actually profaning the Sabbath. As it turns out, it was the Pharisees that were actually profaning the Sabbath because they were endorsing their doctrine instead of Jesus' doctrine.


    Then why didn't Jesus had His disciples stone those Pharisees to death?

    The Pharisees sought to condemn His disciples for profaning the Sabbath and the reference above in your quote testified against the Pharisees for trying to condemn the guiltless for profaning the Sabbath, because Jesus was with His disciples.

    You do not get your reasoning when Jesus gave two examples of when the Sabbath day was profaned but were guiltless to be applying it to the Pharisees. Jesus was exonerating His disciples for profaning the Sabbath because He is greater than the Temple for why His disciples were guiltless.

    Read what Jesus is doing and saying and why He is saying it in defending His disciples. This has nothing to do with defending the Pharisees so do not turn it around on them being the profaners of the Sabbath. Jesus is not giving those two examples in the O.T. to exonerate the Pharisees.

  7. #3067
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Enow View Post
    Then why didn't Jesus had His disciples stone those Pharisees to death?

    The Pharisees sought to condemn His disciples for profaning the Sabbath and the reference above in your quote testified against the Pharisees for trying to condemn the guiltless for profaning the Sabbath, because Jesus was with His disciples.

    You do not get your reasoning when Jesus gave two examples of when the Sabbath day was profaned but were guiltless to be applying it to the Pharisees. Jesus was exonerating His disciples for profaning the Sabbath because He is greater than the Temple for why His disciples were guiltless.

    Read what Jesus is doing and saying and why He is saying it in defending His disciples. This has nothing to do with defending the Pharisees so do not turn it around on them being the profaners of the Sabbath. Jesus is not giving those two examples in the O.T. to exonerate the Pharisees.
    [/SIZE]
    The whole point is that showing mercy is doing the Lord's will and that is what we should be doing on the sabbath. "Mercy" sakes man - you're missing the point. The Levitical priest showed David and his men mercy by feeding them the shewbread. Jesus gave the perfect analogy - the pharisees endorsed the word "profane" and I think Jesus righteously used the same semantic just to drive the point home.
    JaumeJ likes this.

  8. #3068
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,075
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Here's a busy mom who has special activities before Saturday to make it a day of rest


    "Now, a day of rest sounds nice -- but as a mom, I know a "day off" doesn't just "happen"! It takes, of course, planning and preparation."


    "I always wash a load of diapers on Friday morning, so we'll have clean diapers for the weekend! I also do any other laundry that needs washed, since I don't do any laundry on Sabbath."

    Remembering the Sabbath | Tammy's Recipes

  9. #3069
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 17th, 2017
    Posts
    401
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by unobtrusive View Post
    What does Sabbath actually mean in Hebrew or in Greek?
    Sabbath is not necessarily attributed to a certain day, but according to the feasts Sabbaths are, depending on the New moon (month).
    Sabbath singular.

    שַׁבָּת shabbâth, shab-bawth'; intermission
    שָׁבַת shâbath, shaw-bath'; a primitive root; to repose, i.e. desist from exertion.

    The plural form is only used in the Old Testament of the KJV.

    In the New Testament day or days are usually phrased together, "Sabbath day" or Sabbath days."

    Greek...σάββατον sábbaton, sab'-bat-on; of Hebrew origin, a day of weekly repose from secular avocations (also the observance or institution itself); by extension, a se'nnight, (a week), the interval between two Sabbaths; likewise the plural in all the above applications.

    So we can also see that there is such a thing as a "Sabbath week" denoting feasts that are observed for 8 days, the first and last days both being Sabbaths.

    Breaking down the Hebrew letters will give us a more in depth understanding of "Sabbath."

    שַׁ = the concept of kindness, i.e. "grace."
    בָּ = House, dwelling, kingdom, the plan of salvation.
    ת
    = sign of the cross; the
    outer region of existence. “He that has seen me has seen the Father.”

    Even if we want the 4th commandment to be abolished, one cannot deny the truth that the Sabbath represents.
    Why I have quoted you.
    Because there is a deep desire in my inner Man in Messiah to learn more and appreciate that effort to share truth.

    What do I have to say?
    There is a new moon, "renewal" in Hebrew I think. Sabbaths could reference other festivals of Messiah which we now know as such however in the day of Moses they knew as festivals of YHWH. "If you have seen Yahshua you have seen the Father." right? So when Messiah Yahshua sat down and lead the Seder, (order of service) at Passover, or when by the Spirit had an unbroken donkey meet him at the gate, so to speak. He was ministering to the broken, who needed Mercy. They were well aware of the sin they lived in and where truly mournful in heart. When the lepers where healed and the one came back to the Messiah healed he asked " where are the others that where healed!" they didn't attribute to the Messiah their healing? Maybe we should look further than that he also said, "go and provide the necessary sacrifice." sacrifice for what? Of the law of Elohim folks. When Messiah Yahshua was baptized by John what did Messiah say? We must do all that righteousness requires. Now this is what sums up the Law of Elohim and separates it from the law of Moses. There is one Torah and two laws. The law of the Spirit of righteousness which agrees with the Law of God and the law of Sin and death which is an Enemy and fights against the righteousness of Messiah Yahshua which his name means Yah Salvation or YHWH'S Salvation which even points to the salvation found through the Word of Elohim by faith. In the end we all must follow one instruction of Moses which I have found to be maybe funny. "a prophet like Moses will arise among his people, and you will listen to everything he says and if you don't listen you will be utterly destroyed."
    Now I don't find it funny that I have come to this but Sabbath was given to us by the Father, renewed by Messiah Yahshua, made available again by the way of the word.

    Food 4 thought...
    Love doesn't boast, or argue, or say anything other than what is lovely, necessary, and true. In Love Shalom in Messiah John Talmid 781

  10. #3070
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,291
    Rep Power
    158

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

    Romans 6:14
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

    Matthew 11:28
    Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.


    Is it just a wild coincidence that sabbath means rest?
    Is it also a wild coincidence that we are under Grace and not Law?
    Is it also a wild coincidence that this rest is only in Christ?

    What is this rest that Christ offers? How does it relate to the carnal understanding of a saturday sabbath?

    Are we required to observe and work at both a carnal understanding of the law and a spiritual? I suppose it would be hard to simultaneously rest from our works and work at the law at the same time, but I'm sure there are legalists and judaizers that could probably explain how its done.

  11. #3071
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,852
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

    Romans 6:14
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

    Matthew 11:28
    Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.


    Is it just a wild coincidence that sabbath means rest?
    Is it also a wild coincidence that we are under Grace and not Law?
    Is it also a wild coincidence that this rest is only in Christ?

    What is this rest that Christ offers? How does it relate to the carnal understanding of a saturday sabbath?

    Are we required to observe and work at both a carnal understanding of the law and a spiritual? I suppose it would be hard to simultaneously rest from our works and work at the law at the same time, but I'm sure there are legalists and judaizers that could probably explain how its done.
    Read Hebrews 4 in full.. what do you see? And likewise for the rest... much more being shared my friend. Open your heart...
    JaumeJ likes this.

  12. #3072
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2012
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,883
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by unobtrusive View Post
    The whole point is that showing mercy is doing the Lord's will and that is what we should be doing on the sabbath. "Mercy" sakes man - you're missing the point. The Levitical priest showed David and his men mercy by feeding them the shewbread. Jesus gave the perfect analogy - the pharisees endorsed the word "profane" and I think Jesus righteously used the same semantic just to drive the point home.
    No. I think you hit the point at the beginning of your quote and veered away from it as expecting every saved believers to keep the Sabbath. Let us repeat your point that I only agree with.

    The whole point is that showing mercy is doing the Lord's will and that is what we should be doing on the Sabbath.


    So do what you say and show mercy towards those saved believers for profaning the Sabbath, because Jesus is showing mercy towards His disciples for profaning the Sabbath as He was with them as to why He is able to make them stand.... just as Jesus Christ in all saved believers is able to make us all stand.

    So are you going to show mercy to saved believers for profaning the Sabbath as Jesus has done or are you continuing in the path of what the Pharisees were doing... condemning His disciples for profaning the Sabbath?



  13. #3073
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2011
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,291
    Rep Power
    158

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by loveme1 View Post
    Read Hebrews 4 in full.. what do you see? And likewise for the rest... much more being shared my friend. Open your heart...
    There absolutely is much more. It expounds on all those points.

    Hebrews 4:1-6
    1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
    2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
    3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
    4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
    5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
    6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:


    What does sabbath mean again? Oh yeah, rest.

    Who gives rest?

    Is the law carnal or spiritual?


    Does it make sense to rest on saturday to fulfill a spiritual law or does it make more sense to come to Christ to receive True Rest and enter into what Hebrews 4 explains??

    I know you understand most of this.

  14. #3074
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,852
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    There absolutely is much more. It expounds on all those points.

    Hebrews 4:1-6
    1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
    2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
    3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
    4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
    5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
    6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:


    What does sabbath mean again? Oh yeah, rest.

    Who gives rest?

    Is the law carnal or spiritual?


    Does it make sense to rest on saturday to fulfill a spiritual law or does it make more sense to come to Christ to receive True Rest and enter into what Hebrews 4 explains??

    I know you understand most of this.

    You could of kept going.. but nevertheless.. hehe

    The law is Spiritual... so we receive the Holy Spirit to make us new to walk Therin.

    my new Spirit delights to Love GOD and Keep His Commandments through Faith in His Son's Testimony.

    So while I'm at liberty in Christ under Grace I Love GOD the way He desires.

    The power of GOD is to restore my soul.. forgiving and reconciling me through sanctification through His Son where I then live by His Word... which is the Just shall live by Faith.
    unobtrusive likes this.

  15. #3075
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2013
    Age
    67
    Posts
    11,258
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Enow View Post
    It is not abolished, but you are missing the point of the glory of God in Christ Jesus being in you, because you are GUILTLESS for PROFANING the SABBATH.
    UH, some strange thinking here. So because of Christ, one is held guiltless for breaking the fourth Commandment? OK, how about the sixth Commandment? Seventh? Eighth?

    So, because of Christ, if someone breaks into your home, kills you, has his way with your wife and steals all your goods, they are held guiltless?

    Seems funny, this ridiculous reasoning of being guiltless for breaking the Law seems to only apply to the fourth Commandment.
    Karraster and unobtrusive like this.

  16. #3076
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2013
    Age
    67
    Posts
    11,258
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen63 View Post
    Col 2:1717things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

    Point and context.
    Written over 20 years after Christ came, was crucified and resurrected. So, the Sabbath still points to, is a shadow of something to come. What could that be? Oh wait, I know, this is a shadow of the coming Millennium and Kingdom of God.

    By the way, I've posted this several times but it seems to never go out of style...

    What Was "Nailed to the Cross"?

    Since all scripture is given by the inspiration of God so that Christians should be complete (2 Timothy 3:16-17), it is wise to look at more than one verse to determine what, for example, was nailed to the stake (for details, see What is the Origin of the Cross as a 'Christian' Symbol?), which many believe was a cross.
    There is only one only scripture that uses the "nailed it to the cross" expression (AV/NKJ), it is Colossians 2:13-14, in which Paul states,
    13 "And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. 14 And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross".
    We will look at what it does and does not say.
    First though, let's look at what the last chapter of the last book of the Bible teaches:
    14 "Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city" (Revelation 22:14, NKJV throughout unless otherwise noted).
    Since it is only "those who do His commandments...{who} have the right to enter...the city" (Revelation 22:14), the ten commandments could not be "contrary to us." Actually, it is only those who will not keep the ten commandments that are denied access. Revelation specifically shows that those who break one of at least four of the ten commandments will be outside God's city (Revelation 22:15).
    So then, if the Ten Commandments were not "nailed to the cross" (see also Were the Ten Commandments Nailed to the Cross?) what was?
    Look again at what the Bible actually says (two translations):
    14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross (Colossians 2:14, NKJV)
    14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.. (Colossians 2:14, NASB)
    The handwriting of requirements (often also called the hand-writing of ordinances) or certificate of debt was wiped away and nailed to the stake, which some call a cross (see also What is the Origin of the Cross as a 'Christian' Symbol?).
    Which requirements were wiped out?
    Please understand that the expression "the handwriting of requirements" (cheirógrafon toís dógmasin) is a Greek legal expression that signifies the penalty which a lawbreaker had to pay--it does not signify the laws that are to be obeyed--only the penalty. It is only through the acceptance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that the penalty was wiped out ("the handwriting of requirements"). But only the penalty, not the law!
    Even some Protestant commentators realize this is so. Notice what Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible states about Colossians 2:14:
    Whatever was in force against us is taken out of the way. He has obtained for us a legal discharge from the hand-writing of ordinances, which was against us (v. 14), which may be understood,
    1. Of that obligation to punishment in which consists the guilt of sin. The curse of the law is the hand-writing against us, like the hand-writing on Belshazzar's wall. Cursed is every one who continues not in every thing. This was a hand-writing which was against us, and contrary to us; for it threatened our eternal ruin. This was removed when he redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us, Gal 3:13. (from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible: New Modern Edition, Electronic Database. Copyright (c) 1991 by Hendrickson Publishers, Inc.).
    In addition, let us look at the Greek term exaleipho translated as "wiped out" in Colossians 2:14:
    NT:1813
    exaleipho (ex-al-i'-fo); from NT:1537 and NT:218; to smear out, i.e. obliterate (erase tears, figuratively, pardon sin) (Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright (c) 1994, Biblesoft and International Bible Translators, Inc.)
    In other words, exaleipho has to do with wiping out sin. This is also confirmed in Acts 3:19 where Peter also uses the term exaleipho, which is translated as "blotted out" below:
    19 Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
    Hence, it is sin and the related penalties that are to be blotted or wiped out. And the penalties could vary from "being unclean to the evening" (Leviticus 11:24-28) to making an offering (Leviticus 5:5-6) to being "cut off from his people" (Leviticus 7:27) to the death penalty (Exodus 31:14).
    This is also confirmed elsewhere in the New Testament:
    13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (Galatians 3:13).
    The curse of the law is related to the penalty. And Jesus paid it (more on Galatians can be found in the article Comments on Galatians).
    But what about the law of God? Was the law of God to be wiped out? No:
    17 Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill (Matthew 5:17)
    While some erroneously think that Jesus, for example, did away with the Ten Commandments by how He led His life, that most certainly was not the view of the early Christians who continued to keep them (see also The Ten Commandments and the Early Church).
    Furthermore, remember that the Bible clearly teaches that sin is lawlessness:
    4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. (1I John 3:4-5).
    Notice that Paul wrote:
    1 Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! 2 How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? (Romans 6:1-2).
    Thus the New Testament makes clear that the law of God continues, thus it was not nailed to the cross or somehow wiped out.
    The Bible, however, also shows that the requirements of the Levitical priesthood (Hebrews 9:1,6-10) sometimes called the law, which were part of the penalty of sin, were blotted out.
    And why?
    4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins...10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus once for all (Hebrews 10:4,10).
    Jesus' one sacrifice was and is sufficient--we do not have to sacrifice animals any more!
    Another requirement (which is related) would be the death penalty of sin, as "the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23) or other specific ceremonial penalties associated with the Old Testament statutes (such as making a sin offering, being put outside the camp, or washing).
    For those who wish to look them up, perhaps most of the statutes in the Old Testament are listed in the following chapters: Exodus 20-24; Leviticus 16-27; Numbers 18-19, 27-30, 35-36; and Deuteronomy 12-18. - Dr. Robert Thiel
    Karraster and unobtrusive like this.

  17. #3077
    Senior Member JaumeJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2011
    Age
    73
    Posts
    11,189
    Blog Entries
    36
    Rep Power
    125

    Default Re: Sabbath

    It is nice to see reason pointed out.

    Of late I have been personally very impressed by the fact that the laws changed because of the entering of the Holy Spirit into my vry being.

    Those Ten Commandments were inscribed on my heart, and guess what?!? Now they no longer seem like commandments or laws, they seem like conduct in love, good sense and Wisdom direct from our Father. It is a joy to try to obey them all, but no longer something to be feared as death producing since that curse was destroyed on the cross.

    Yes, we are to not just know the Ten but to do them however now it is a joy to observe them as we are given to do.

    As you have pointed out, non of the Ten are to be taken as no longer in effect; that is, unless some crackpot believe he is saved yet steals, kills, covet...you get ti, habitually...... Sin will have no reign over us, praise God for our Savior, Jesus christ, amen.


    Quote Originally Posted by john832 View Post
    UH, some strange thinking here. So because of Christ, one is held guiltless for breaking the fourth Commandment? OK, how about the sixth Commandment? Seventh? Eighth?

    So, because of Christ, if someone breaks into your home, kills you, has his way with your wife and steals all your goods, they are held guiltless?

    Seems funny, this ridiculous reasoning of being guiltless for breaking the Law seems to only apply to the fourth Commandment.
    loveme1 and unobtrusive like this.
    From the Mouth of our Lord, Jesus Christ, or do you call Him Yeshua?
    Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.


  18. #3078
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,458
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Wishing you all a Happy Sabbath! (my time)

    Hello all good friend in Christ who love God's Word and through the faith that bring love joy and peace in Jesus. Happy Sabbath to you all. The Lord's Day is wonderful. It reminds me of the power of God's Word as I look outside and see the wonders of God. It is a strength to me as I see the power of God's Word in Life. Jesus speaks and it is so. His commands are his promises. I am a sinner but I have a Savoir who can do all things in me because I believe him. His Word is his power unto all those who believe. He sets me free from my sins because he works in me as I abide in him. When temptation some he gives me power to choose to follow him. I love him because he first loves me and he saves me by the operation of God so I can love him. I follow him because I love him. This is my prayer for all. God bless you all in him who loves us and washed us in his own blood that we should be called the sons and daughters of God forever and ever AMEN.

    God bless you all

  19. #3079
    Senior Member JaumeJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2011
    Age
    73
    Posts
    11,189
    Blog Entries
    36
    Rep Power
    125

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Shabbat shalom to all , especially those aleady there, you know, down under. I remember Perth and the first US astronaut, Darwin from my friends from there on the Kibbutz, and of course the opera house of Sidney...

    May all have a wonderful Sabbath when you are celeb5rating it. I will, praise Yah, amen.
    loveme1 and LoveGodForever like this.
    From the Mouth of our Lord, Jesus Christ, or do you call Him Yeshua?
    Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.


  20. #3080
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,458
    Rep Power
    29

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    There absolutely is much more. It expounds on all those points.

    Hebrews 4:1-6
    1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
    2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. 6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

    What does sabbath mean again? Oh yeah, rest.

    Who gives rest?

    Is the law carnal or spiritual?

    Does it make sense to rest on saturday to fulfill a spiritual law or does it make more sense to come to Christ to receive True Rest and enter into what Hebrews 4 explains??

    I know you understand most of this.
    Hi Grandpa,

    Long time no see. Hope you are well. Hebrews 4 is a great chapter talking about God's Sabbath commandment. God's Word is true so let's have a look at Hebrew 4.

    HEB 4
    1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
    2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
    3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
    4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
    5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
    6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
    7 Again, he limited a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
    8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
    9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
    10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
    11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
    12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

    Key Scripture points

    * Fear that the promise being left us any of us should fall short of entering God’s rest (v1)

    * The Gospel was preached to the people in the Wilderness as well as us. The Word did not profit those in the wilderness because of their unbeliefit (v2)
    * For we which have believed do enter into His Rest. The people in the wilderness that did not believe God did not enter into His Rest even though works were finished from the foundation of the world (v3)
    * Speaking of the 7th Day Sabbath and the last day of the creation week (Gen 2:1-3) (v4)
    * God’s rest (Gen 2:1-3), those that believe enter into God’s 7th Day Sabbath rest those that do not believe do not enter into God’s 7th Day Sabbath rest (v5-6)
    * Harden not your heart in unbelief (v7-8)
    * There is a
    rest for the people of God (v9)

    * Those that enter into God’s rest cease from works as God did v10
    * We should labour to enter into God’s rest (Gen 2:1-3) faith in God’s Word (rest through believing God) v11
    * The Word of God is powerful. v12

    Please go back and look at the Greek meaning of the word "rest" used in Heb 4:9 its meaning is resting through keeping of a Sabbath or Sabbath observance. (I have provided Greek links below)

    “There remaineth therefore a [Sabbath] rest 4520 to the people of God.” (NAS; Heb 4:9)
    The Greek word literally means “Sabbath keeping” or “Sabbath observance.” (links below
    )


    Strong's Concordance 4520
    sabbatismos: a sabbath rest
    Original Word: σαββατισμός, οῦ, ὁ
    Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
    Transliteration: sabbatismos
    Phonetic Spelling: (sab-bat-is-mos')
    Short Definition: a Sabbath rest
    Definition: a keeping of the Sabbath, a Sabbath rest.


    Strong's Greek 4520

    σαββατισμὸς — 1 Occ.
    Hebrews 4:9N-NMS
    GRK: ἄρα ἀπολείπεται σαββατισμὸς τῷ λαῷ
    NAS: there remains a Sabbath rest for the people
    KJV: therefore a rest to the people
    INT: Then remains a sabbath rest to the people

    Thayer's Greek Lexicon
    STRONGS NT 4520: σαββατισμός
    σαββατισμός, σαββατισμου, ὁ (σαββατίζω to keep the sabbath); 1. a keeping sabbath. 2. the blessed rest from toils and troubles looked for in the age to come by the true worshippers of God and true Christians (R. V. sabbath rest):
    Hebrews 4:9
    . (Plutarch, de superstit. c. 3; ecclesiastical writings.)

    So let’s pull Hebrews 4:1-12 all together?

    The context is God’s rest from the week of creation on the 7th Day of the creation week (Heb 4:1-5). Those that did not enter into God’s rest (7th Day Sabbath) did not enter in because of their unbelief and disobedience (sins) to God’s Word. The Gospel was preached unto them but they did not believe it (Heb 4:2). God did not give them His true rest (Heb 4:5-8). This is the same warning for those that disobey Him and do not follow His Word. Only those that believe and obey God’s Word enter into his 7th Day Sabbath rest (Heb 4:6, 9, 10-12). So you can see Jesus is not a Sabbath. The Sabbath is the 7th Day of the Week. Jesus is Lord of this Day because he is the creator of this day (Heb 4:4; Mark 2:28-29)

    In Christ Always!

Similar Threads

  1. TRUE BIBLICAL SABBATH, NOT MAN'S SABBATH
    By Avinu in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: October 1st, 2017, 11:22 AM
  2. Replies: 1891
    Last Post: November 12th, 2016, 05:13 PM
  3. The sabbath cults - making an idol of the sabbath.
    By Larry_Stotle in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 514
    Last Post: November 10th, 2015, 11:30 PM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last Post: September 15th, 2014, 09:26 AM