Page 169 of 182 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 3625
Like Tree2750Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Sabbath

  1. #3361
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by beta View Post
    I would say that a true Christian is one who WALKS with Yashua/Jesus at all times as one of His Disciples...including being instructed on the Sabbath...it being one reason why we don't do our own thing on that holy day.
    Let's not forget that we are also instructed to 'do the Will of God to enter HIS kingdom...and I would say that God's Commandments are an expression of 'His Will....not seen them rescinded anywhere.
    interesting phrase, "we don't do our own thing on that holy day"

    do you feel it is okay to do our own thing on other days of the week?

  2. #3362
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by loveme1 View Post
    KJV is my preferred version of the Bible.. I'm not sure if all are like mine but there is no commentary.. I asked and received the Truth and I marvel at what took place prior during and even now.. almost not wanting to mature but remain a babe receiving milk.. but In GOD we Trust and our duty must be carried out for His Glory.
    Yes mine are KJV as well. Both of mine just come with a Concordance and the Other with a Concordance and a Hebrew and Greek dictionary linked to Strong's numbers in the text. I am so excited. I never want to have someone else's interpretation of God's Word. That is between us and our time with God. I love God's Word so much. I really could not decide between the two so got both. They are also such nice quality so they should last a while I hope.

  3. #3363
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2017
    Age
    58
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by garee View Post
    Hi thanks for that.

    Yes a time set aside when we can do "good works" offering the gospel and therefore not interfering with the regular work scheduled (6 days)

    One thing I have learned is the word Sabbath is not a non-time sensitive word to begin with The focus is on the rest offered according to the true fast so that men can be heard on high.. If we would make the fast into a time sensitive word it loses its purpose and in the end it points to the kind of fast in Mark. Good intentions but no working of the Holy Spirit. .

    Mark 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

    It becomes what can we do on the day we are given that in which we have no servile work need to supply these bodies of death? Can we eat one kosher meal or eat twice or walk this far and eat this thing drink this or that or say that or just sleep all day as the proper rest..?

    When the new testament was written the number of Kosher meals as a tradtion of men was three time a day.
    By changing the meaning of the word fast making into a time sensitive word “week” it destroys the true fast .

    The word is Sabbath....rest, not week.... a period of time.
    It should read.. I fast twice on the Sabbath (one day) and not as a way of boasting in respect to those who eat three kosher meals designed as a law of the fathers. The real fast no meals. We offer our portion as the good news (gospel) to those who have no manna.

    Luk 18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.


    The context of the parables loses it meaning using the word week rather tan rest.

    Luk 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply,

    I am very aware of the many doctrines surrounding the "Christian" tradition of pretty much ignoring God's Sabbath Commandment.

    What I know for sure is that God's Creation is not complete without the 7th day. His week includes a 7th day rest from the very creation of the earth.

    What we do on His Holy Days is a valid question. But to say God doesn't have a 7th day in His creation is not accurate, nor is it accurate to say His 7th Day wasn't created for man to rest as He did. IMHO

  4. #3364
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    3,876
    Rep Power
    55

    Default Re: Sabbath

    It seems today there is still much confusion over exactly what the New Covenant is. Many preach that it is the replacement of God's entire law structure. But the Scriptures don't support this teaching. It seems the New Covenant pertains to how we are forgiven. It used to be by finding a Levite and having him perform ceremonial, sacrificial "Deeds or Works of the Law" for the remission of sins and justification. Now we have faith in the perfect sacrifice of Jesus for justification and remission of sins.

    Rom. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

    The definition of sin has not changed according to scripture. Just the way it is forgiven.
    I would offer the Old Testament saints were forgiven in the same as us as those on the this side of the cross.

    This is by a work of Christ’s faith an labor of His love that worked in them to both will and do the good pleasure of God.

    Shadows are ceremonial laws (not moral law )shadows cannot forgive they pointed ahead to Christ who can and does.

    1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

    God purified their wicked hearts by a work of His faith of Him who lived in them just as with us. Both looking for the same kind of glory according to 1 Peter 1:11 from different time periods.

    (Purple in parenthesis) my personal comments

    Act 15:9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith...... (Christ's not of our own-selves.)

    Time factors are sometimes ignored.

    The promised time of reformation had come over two thousand years ago. A time for healing. The promised season found in Hebrews 9

    The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:Which was a figure (parable) for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. Heb 9:8

  5. #3365
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2017
    Age
    58
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Sabbath

    =garee;3306559]
    I would offer the Old Testament saints were forgiven in the same as us as those on the this side of the cross.
    Absolutely,

    1 Cor. 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
    3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
    4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

    T
    his is by a work of Christ’s faith an labor of His love that worked in them to both will and do the good pleasure of God.

    Shadows are ceremonial laws (not moral law )shadows cannot forgive they pointed ahead to Christ who can and does.

    1Pe 1:11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

    God purified their wicked hearts by a work of His faith of Him who lived in them just as with us. Both looking for the same kind of glory according to 1 Peter 1:11 from different time periods.

    (Purple in parenthesis) my personal comments

    Act 15:9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith...... (Christ's not of our own-selves.)

    Time factors are sometimes ignored.

    The promised time of reformation had come over two thousand years ago. A time for healing. The promised season found in Hebrews 9

    The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:Which was a figure (parable) for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation. Heb 9:8
    Yes, "Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances,", all part of the Levitical Priesthood "works of the Law" for remission of sins that were "ADDED" because of transgression to God's Law's Abraham was blessed for obeying, until the Seed should come, the "Time of reformation".

    But this does, in no way, change or alter God's definition of sin, what is Holy or Unholy, Clean or Unclean, righteous or unrighteous.


    This "Added" Law made no one perfect.

    Heb. 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

    But God's Laws and the observance of them IS what made Jesus perfect, and it is by obedience to these "Good" Holy" "Righteous" and "Just" Laws that qualified the man Jesus as the "perfect" sacrifice, a Lamb without blemish.

    As he directed: Matt. 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

  6. #3366
    Senior Member beta's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2016
    Age
    88
    Posts
    1,516
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_473 View Post
    interesting phrase, "we don't do our own thing on that holy day"

    do you feel it is okay to do our own thing on other days of the week?
    well....when do you think we should go to work...keep appointments...do shopping...housecleaning etc...etc ?

  7. #3367
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    Hi Dan yes this is true but there is also those that have had God's truth revealed to them but for whatever reason have chosen to reject God's Word. So there are essentially two groups of people. Those that do not know and those that know but have denied God's Word. Of the second group (unbelievers) it is written....

    Hebrews 10:26-27
    26, For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

    God bless you are you seek him through His Word...
    right, two explanations, I just listed one.

    so, of the many (most?) users here on CC who seem to have spent a long time studying God's word (and thus cannot use the "I didn't know" excuse), you would say that, as a class, they are unbelievers.

    getting back to "The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God".
    The Spirit witnesses that to me, I think probably many (most?) users here on CC would say the same thing.

  8. #3368
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    Hi Dan

    No the earlier post I was referring to was your post # 3276 Your post with the scripture at the bottom was your 2nd post after I sent you my other posts listed above in post # 3341 about God having his people in All Churches living up to all the knowledge God has given being born again through love of the Spirit through faith... Not important. The most important thing is always seeking him who loves all through His Word.

    May God bless you as you seek him by faith and not by sight
    in your post 3303, the post where you say "Your statement above is not correct" the only post of mine quoted is

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_473 View Post
    sounds like yes, in your view, the general catagory of users here on CC,
    such as myself,
    who claim to believe in Jesus and to be followers of Christ
    but don't remember the Sabbath Day
    are not born again.


    I see. How do you understand this from Romans,
    "The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God"

    Am I decieved about the witness of the Spirit as well?
    there were multiple statements in it, so I asked which one you thought was not correct, which I believe is how this "which statement, which scripture" sub-thread got started.

    but I agree, it's not important, let's focus on the "meat" of the issue.

  9. #3369
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by beta View Post
    let me ask you one thing Dan....
    If you are not going to 'change your ways in thought and deed 'HOW will you ever become the 'New Man' God wants to create in you ?
    So when God gives instructions to 'do this or that - or not to do' there will be no change if we don't respond !
    Does not 'common sense tell you that ? so you should not have to be told whether or not you are a true follower of Christ. As for people not understanding about Sabbath is because they reject it in their heart and are thus left in ignorance. When we obey the Word/show love to God then we receive enlightenment.
    I do change my ways in thought and deed
    For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

    but talk more, please, about "they reject it (the Sabbath?) in their heart and are thus left in ignorance".
    Is rejecting the Sabbath in one's heart an excuse? Thus, one could read God's word, not do special activities on the Sabbath, and still be a true Christian?

  10. #3370
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Studyman View Post
    =Dan_473;3306486]


    Well Jesus was a man I believe. But He was also the Messiah who was to usher in the New Covenant. The new covenant was the fulfillment of these Levitical Priesthood ceremonial "works of the Law" for remission and justification of sins, which was "ADDED" until the Seed should come. (Gal. 3:19)

    His ability to forgive sins was given Him by His Father. The entire Levitical Priesthood was a shadow of His coming. The Mainstream Church of His time had corrupted themselves and had lost sight of this Biblical fact.

    It seems today there is still much confusion over exactly what the New Covenant is. Many preach that it is the replacement of God's entire law structure. But the Scriptures don't support this teaching. It seems the New Covenant pertains to how we are forgiven. It used to be by finding a Levite and having him perform ceremonial, sacrificial "Deeds or Works of the Law" for the remission of sins and justification. Now we have faith in the perfect sacrifice of Jesus for justification and remission of sins.

    Rom. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

    The definition of sin has not changed according to scripture. Just the way it is forgiven.


    Thanks for the kind welcome
    many parts of the Levitical Priesthood are a shadow of His coming.

    Jesus is a non-Levitical high priest, so perhaps that's why he had authority on earth to forgive sins without Levitical sacrifices.

    "The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek."

  11. #3371
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    I am actually quite excited. I was looking to God to get a new bible. I could not decide between two so ended up ordering both of them. What bible do you guys use?

    Here are the ones I have coming thanks to my God's blessing.......

    1. Executive Local Church bible
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnZnL7feRp4

    2. Hebrew and Greek Study bible
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktD3QzInfwU

    Any bible is great however its God's Word right? What bible do you guys use?

    God bless you all
    totally glad you brought that up, it's like an answer to my prayer to bring up the subject of Bibles!

    There's the standard Protestant list of books used by most people here on CC. The Roman Catholics have a different list, the Eastern Orthodox yet another. A Lutheran pastor told me that the ELCA has never chosen a list, so it could be theoretically anything.

  12. #3372
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    Dan,

    You did not read any of the posts I sent have you? It is ok it is up to you. I do not judge you. Jesus says; If any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. He that rejects me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judges him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day. For your own sake do not close your eyes to God's Word and may God bless you are you seek him through it...
    I read every post you reply to me.

    I repeat a lot in order to go "line upon line", one step at a time, trying to make sure we understand each other as we progress.

    this, hopefully, will keep the discussion on track and lead to an edifying conclusion!

    I study God's word intensely, and God frequently shows me amazing things!


    May God bless you too!

  13. #3373
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by beta View Post
    well....when do you think we should go to work...keep appointments...do shopping...housecleaning etc...etc ?
    well, I think those things are God's work if we do them in the name of the Lord and they support whatever ministry God has called us to.

    so, everyday of the week!

    I think it can be dangerous to think of "six days for me and my interests, one day for God", should a person think that.

  14. #3374
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 17th, 2017
    Posts
    387
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_473 View Post
    many parts of the Levitical Priesthood are a shadow of His coming.

    Jesus is a non-Levitical high priest, so perhaps that's why he had authority on earth to forgive sins without Levitical sacrifices.

    "The Lord hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek."
    Many here have no reference for this order of High Priest. Adam was in this Position and taught others, like Enoch, Methuselah, and Abram. Many don't realize how going back to the ancient path is laid out for us all, and cannot be mistaken for the shadows that came before the conclusion of that ultimate sacrifice for sin on the cross. We are still called to keep the feast in remembrance by Messiah Yahshua himself. Most of CC is blinded by the cup of wrath. The Passover was what the deciples where keeping under the leadership of the Messiah. He said "as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of me." speaking of the cup at the Passover dinner. Also the feast of unleavened bread for example was mentioned later to be kept, "as unleavened bread".
    If The CC wanted to repent they would be wise to get rid of the festival of Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentine's Day, and the like that doesn't honor God or His way. Making this change, challenging as it sounds, would change the world over night. I pray for revival and true repentance but the word calls us out, not to change her.

    Shalom in Yahshua the Messiah
    John Talmid
    Studyman likes this.

  15. #3375
    Senior Member phil36's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,418
    Rep Power
    51

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTalmid View Post
    Many here have no reference for this order of High Priest. Adam was in this Position and taught others, like Enoch, Methuselah, and Abram. Many don't realize how going back to the ancient path is laid out for us all, and cannot be mistaken for the shadows that came before the conclusion of that ultimate sacrifice for sin on the cross. We are still called to keep the feast in remembrance by Messiah Yahshua himself. Most of CC is blinded by the cup of wrath. The Passover was what the deciples where keeping under the leadership of the Messiah. He said "as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of me." speaking of the cup at the Passover dinner. Also the feast of unleavened bread for example was mentioned later to be kept, "as unleavened bread".
    If The CC wanted to repent they would be wise to get rid of the festival of Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentine's Day, and the like that doesn't honor God or His way. Making this change, challenging as it sounds, would change the world over night. I pray for revival and true repentance but the word calls us out, not to change her.

    Shalom in Yahshua the Messiah
    John Talmid

    The Messiah was our Passover...no need for the festival now.. The spotless lamb was sacrificed and now reigns in Glory as he High priest, mediator, prophet and King of His people. We now remember His sacrifice by what He Himself commanded in remembrance of Him. The Passover foreshadowed this event.
    Soli Deo Gloria

    "After all, there is a Protestantism still worth contending for, there is a Calvinism still worth proclaiming, and a gospel well worth dying for" - C H Spurgeon



    • "What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

  16. #3376
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2017
    Age
    58
    Posts
    120
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTalmid View Post
    Many here have no reference for this order of High Priest. Adam was in this Position and taught others, like Enoch, Methuselah, and Abram. Many don't realize how going back to the ancient path is laid out for us all, and cannot be mistaken for the shadows that came before the conclusion of that ultimate sacrifice for sin on the cross. We are still called to keep the feast in remembrance by Messiah Yahshua himself. Most of CC is blinded by the cup of wrath. The Passover was what the deciples where keeping under the leadership of the Messiah. He said "as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of me." speaking of the cup at the Passover dinner. Also the feast of unleavened bread for example was mentioned later to be kept, "as unleavened bread".
    If The CC wanted to repent they would be wise to get rid of the festival of Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentine's Day, and the like that doesn't honor God or His way. Making this change, challenging as it sounds, would change the world over night. I pray for revival and true repentance but the word calls us out, not to change her.

    Shalom in Yahshua the Messiah
    John Talmid

    I agree John. We are to "Come out of her", not change her. That is a truth few understand.

    I am so glad I came to this forum. Thank you John Talmid

  17. #3377
    Senior Member Dan_473's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    5,061
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTalmid View Post
    Many here have no reference for this order of High Priest. Adam was in this Position and taught others, like Enoch, Methuselah, and Abram. Many don't realize how going back to the ancient path is laid out for us all, and cannot be mistaken for the shadows that came before the conclusion of that ultimate sacrifice for sin on the cross. We are still called to keep the feast in remembrance by Messiah Yahshua himself. Most of CC is blinded by the cup of wrath. The Passover was what the deciples where keeping under the leadership of the Messiah. He said "as often as you do this, do it in remembrance of me." speaking of the cup at the Passover dinner. Also the feast of unleavened bread for example was mentioned later to be kept, "as unleavened bread".
    If The CC wanted to repent they would be wise to get rid of the festival of Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentine's Day, and the like that doesn't honor God or His way. Making this change, challenging as it sounds, would change the world over night. I pray for revival and true repentance but the word calls us out, not to change her.

    Shalom in Yahshua the Messiah
    John Talmid
    Adam was a high priest of the order of Melchizedek? Is that found in the Bible or is it a tradition?

    Most of CC is blinded by the cup of wrath? Respectfully, I'll make a note that you view things that way.

  18. #3378
    Senior Member FlSnookman7's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2015
    Age
    48
    Posts
    758
    Rep Power
    51

    Default Re: Sabbath

    The New Testament has ample evidence that the seventh day Sabbath is no longer a requirement.

    • Rom. 14:5-6, "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God."

    The entire section of Rom. 14:1-12 is worth careful study. Nevertheless, the instructions here are that individuals must be convinced in their own minds about which day they observe for the Lord. If the seventh day Sabbath were a requirement, then the choice would not be man's, but God’s.

    • Col. 2:16-17, "Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ."

    Notice here that time sequence mentioned. A festival is yearly. A new moon is monthly. A Sabbath is weekly. No one is to judge in regard to this. The Sabbath is defined as a shadow, the reality is Jesus. Jesus is our Sabbath.

    • Acts 20:7, "And on the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to depart the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight."

    The first day of the week is Sunday, and this is the day the people gathered. This passage can easily be seen as the church meeting on Sunday. It has two important church functions within it: breaking bread (communion) and a message (preaching). Additionally, Luke did not use the Jewish system of counting days: sundown to sundown. He used the Roman system: midnight to midnight. This is a subtle point that shows the Jewish Sabbath system was not the one utilized by Luke.

    • 1 Cor. 16:1-2, "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also. 2 On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come."

    Notice here that Paul is directing the churches to meet on the first day of each week and put money aside. It would seem that this is tithing. So, the instructed time for the church to meet is Sunday. Is this an official worship day set up by the church? You decide.

    • Rev. 1:10-11, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, 11saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea."

    The New Bible Dictionary says regarding the term, ‘The Lord’s Day’ in Revelation 1:10: "This is the first extant occurrence in Christian literature of τῇ κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ, "ta kuriaka hamera". The adjectival construction suggests that it was a formal designation of the church’s worship day. As such it certainly appears early in the 2nd century (Ignatius, Epistle to the Magnesians, 1. 67).
    In many churches today, the term "The Lord’s Day" is used to designate Sunday, the same as it was in the second century.
    I hope this is evidence enough to show you that the Bible does not require that we worship on Saturday. If anything, we have the freedom (Rom. 14:1-12) to worship on the day that we believe we should. And, no one should judge us in regard to the day we keep. We are free in Christ, not under law (Rom. 6:14).

    ​That is from CARM and is a great explanation of the way the new testament speaks of the sabbath.
    phil36 likes this.

  19. #3379
    Senior Member beta's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2016
    Age
    88
    Posts
    1,516
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_473 View Post
    well, I think those things are God's work if we do them in the name of the Lord and they support whatever ministry God has called us to.

    so, everyday of the week!

    I think it can be dangerous to think of "six days for me and my interests, one day for God", should a person think that.
    I don't know about 'dangerous, but certainly UNprofitable to keep all our activities 'seperate as if they have no bearing to each other.
    What we learn on the Sabbath is to be 'practiced during the other 6 days thus contributing to our conversion....gradually changing us over time. Being instructed by GOD on the Sabbath is a bit like attending school/lessons that need to be remembered and absorbed during the rest of the week. now...if you are not spending time with your Teacher you are not going to learn much - stands to reason.
    Does that make sense to you ?

  20. #3380
    Senior Member beta's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2016
    Age
    88
    Posts
    1,516
    Rep Power
    23

    Default Re: Sabbath

    Quote Originally Posted by FlSnookman7 View Post
    The New Testament has ample evidence that the seventh day Sabbath is no longer a requirement.

    • Rom. 14:5-6, "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God."

    The entire section of Rom. 14:1-12 is worth careful study. Nevertheless, the instructions here are that individuals must be convinced in their own minds about which day they observe for the Lord. If the seventh day Sabbath were a requirement, then the choice would not be man's, but God’s.

    • Col. 2:16-17, "Therefore let no one act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ."

    Notice here that time sequence mentioned. A festival is yearly. A new moon is monthly. A Sabbath is weekly. No one is to judge in regard to this. The Sabbath is defined as a shadow, the reality is Jesus. Jesus is our Sabbath.

    • Acts 20:7, "And on the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to depart the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight."

    The first day of the week is Sunday, and this is the day the people gathered. This passage can easily be seen as the church meeting on Sunday. It has two important church functions within it: breaking bread (communion) and a message (preaching). Additionally, Luke did not use the Jewish system of counting days: sundown to sundown. He used the Roman system: midnight to midnight. This is a subtle point that shows the Jewish Sabbath system was not the one utilized by Luke.

    • 1 Cor. 16:1-2, "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also. 2 On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come."

    Notice here that Paul is directing the churches to meet on the first day of each week and put money aside. It would seem that this is tithing. So, the instructed time for the church to meet is Sunday. Is this an official worship day set up by the church? You decide.

    • Rev. 1:10-11, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, 11saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea."

    The New Bible Dictionary says regarding the term, ‘The Lord’s Day’ in Revelation 1:10: "This is the first extant occurrence in Christian literature of τῇ κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ, "ta kuriaka hamera". The adjectival construction suggests that it was a formal designation of the church’s worship day. As such it certainly appears early in the 2nd century (Ignatius, Epistle to the Magnesians, 1. 67).
    In many churches today, the term "The Lord’s Day" is used to designate Sunday, the same as it was in the second century.
    I hope this is evidence enough to show you that the Bible does not require that we worship on Saturday. If anything, we have the freedom (Rom. 14:1-12) to worship on the day that we believe we should. And, no one should judge us in regard to the day we keep. We are free in Christ, not under law (Rom. 6:14).

    ​That is from CARM and is a great explanation of the way the new testament speaks of the sabbath.
    Neither God nor Jesus gave man 'the option of choosing their own holy day to observe' What Paul was saying in Rom 14 was that people were choosing their own day each to their own liking....it most certainly was not a commandment given by him , Jesus or God. People totally MISquote Rom 14 because they think it allows them to reject the sabbath.

    As for Acts 20v7, they had gathered on the first day to break bread...again people ASSUME it was for a religious service when in fact it was for a MEAL...that was interrupted when a Youth fell from an upstairs window...and Paul returned to to finish EATING v11.

    1Cor 16, This collection was for Produce to be shipped to Jerusalem where the Saints were enduring a famine...it had nothing to do with collecting money at a church service. Produce from fields and gardens had to be gathered and put 'in store on the first day of the week (a working day) to be ready for collection by Paul and 2 or more men for shipment.

    Let us please keep scripture in perspective and not twist it for the purpose of teaching false doctrine....misleading innocent and gullible/trusting Souls.
    Jesus warned of false christs misleading/deceiving the many !

Similar Threads

  1. TRUE BIBLICAL SABBATH, NOT MAN'S SABBATH
    By Avinu in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 10:22 AM
  2. Replies: 1891
    Last Post: November 12th, 2016, 04:13 PM
  3. The sabbath cults - making an idol of the sabbath.
    By Larry_Stotle in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 514
    Last Post: November 10th, 2015, 10:30 PM
  4. Replies: 228
    Last Post: September 15th, 2014, 08:26 AM