Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 263
Like Tree91Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

  1. #21
    Senior Member DustyRhodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2016
    Age
    71
    Posts
    632
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    33

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    the gift of tongues exist but at the same time, they are not necessary
    for spiritual growth and holiness, there are many other ways to be filled with the Spirit.

  2. #22
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,337
    Rep Power
    99

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_B View Post
    This needs to be clarified I Corinthians 14:21 Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers.

    To say that it was
    never around until the 1900's is not true, here's an Article on Tongues that goes back to Augustus and before talking about those that spoke in tongues. I agree most all of what is going on in the Church today are learned tongues not Spirit inspired tongues. I will say that I have spoken in tongues by inspiration of the Spirit 3 to 4 time. It was quite over whelming and there was an interpretation. But I can't duplicate it on demand, it doesn't work like that. I always joke about and tell people that all they have to do is say mama-road-honda-daddy-drova-caddy as fast as they can and they'll be speaking in tongues. Some of the madness that gets blamed on the Spirit is blasphemy. The Spirit does not bring confusion, He bring self control, He is gentle, He brings order and He testifies of Jesus.

    I believe these tongues in I Corinthians 14:21 are the tongues that were on the 120 in a language that speak of the wondrous works of God. I had an uncle that was Samoan
    that did not believe in tongues and was in a service and a man begin to speak in a tongue and it was Samoan so he changed his mind on tongues.
    Good post.

    I myself can count on one hand when I have spoken in tongues.
    On each occasion it has been in my quiet time. Just sat there talking to God and I just spoke in tongues, I didn't force it just happened.

    I have actually heard people say in order to overcome the mind with regards to tongues then start with this. Similar to what you say above in a joking way.

    I have to say heard was she-will-come-on-a-Honda or I-will-have-a-shandy. Now speed it up.
    DustyRhodes likes this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  3. #23
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,337
    Rep Power
    99

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by DustyRhodes View Post
    the gift of tongues exist but at the same time, they are not necessary
    for spiritual growth and holiness, there are many other ways to be filled with the Spirit.
    Well said I agree.

    For some reason there seems to an emphasis on tongues and a disregard to the other gifts.

    I was even told once because I did not speak in tongues then it was evidence I wasn't saved.
    Carried that one round for a long time.
    Meggido likes this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Marano's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2011
    Age
    22
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Well said I agree.

    For some reason there seems to an emphasis on tongues and a disregard to the other gifts.

    I was even told once because I did not speak in tongues then it was evidence I wasn't saved.
    Carried that one round for a long time.
    The videos touches on that subject, did you watch it?

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,031
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Well said I agree.

    For some reason there seems to an emphasis on tongues and a disregard to the other gifts.

    I was even told once because I did not speak in tongues then it was evidence I wasn't saved.
    Carried that one round for a long time.
    Anyone who said you need tongues to be saved is an idiot.
    stonesoffire likes this.

  6. #26
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,164
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    95

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by Meggido View Post
    Anyone who said you need tongues to be saved is an idiot.
    You confess with your mouth, don't you? LOL jk
    stonesoffire and Meggido like this.

  7. #27
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,164
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    95

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by DustyRhodes View Post
    the gift of tongues exist but at the same time, they are not necessary
    for spiritual growth and holiness, there are many other ways to be filled with the Spirit.
    I don't think one should diminish the importance of the gift either. To state that is unnecessary for spiritual growth and holiness shouldn't be taken that, possibly, it might be a preferred or even better method to such growth. What I mean is that God Almighty deemed the gift as necessary for His saints, as He obviously bestowed it upon us as the Holy Spirit distributes. So, while not all have the gift, it is a most efficacious one in terms of spiritual growth and so many other things such as ministering to, edifying and exhorting others.
    stonesoffire and BillG like this.

  8. #28
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,337
    Rep Power
    99

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by trofimus View Post
    I do not want to give it 20 minutes of my life, I watched it 4 minutes or so.

    I think that he did not realize the context of what he is reading. Prophecies, tongues... (all revelations for churches). Then, when the perfect (revelation) comes, the tongues will cease.

    We now have the complete word of God, we do not need any tongues or prophecies. When the OT books were finished, the prophets also disappeared for 400 years.
    please note the following is not getting at you at all.

    With regards to your last paragraph I have heard this many times from cessationalists.

    There is one thing that I myself don't get and can't reconcile in own mind.

    To me the gifts of the spirit seemed to have a place in establishing the church, building up the church but also evidence to non-believers that there is something powerful and in these believers and that is Jesus.

    The gifts manifest should always point to Jesus.

    I think laying aside tongues I would say Jesus manifest the gifts of the Spirit and that's what attracted people to him.

    So what I don't get is to such gifts stopped when we have the complete word of God.

    So to me many non-believers do not have the complete word of God so we cant just give them a bible and say read it.

    Jesus having done things that drew crouds to him why should they stop because we now have a book with printed words in it?

    So in my own mind I just don't get the reasoning that gifts of the spirit ceased now we have to bible.

    Now for me and maybe my focus is wrong but I think the fruit of the Holy Spirit and the gifts should go hand in hand. I would probably say I pray more for fruit and not gifts, overall LOVE.

    On a side note it would be intersting to look at why prophets disappeared for 400 years in the O.T.
    I think it stopped with Malachi but one thing is sure

    Malachi 3:1
    Chapter 3
    The Coming Messenger
    “Behold, I send My messenger,
    And he will prepare the way before Me.
    And the Lord, whom you seek,
    Will suddenly come to His temple,
    Even the Messenger of the covenant,
    In whom you delight.
    Behold, He is coming,”
    Says the Lord of hosts.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  9. #29
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,337
    Rep Power
    99

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by Marano View Post
    The videos touches on that subject, did you watch it?
    Not yet mate, I have just come to this post, but I will sure watch it.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  10. #30
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,164
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    95

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    I don't think one should diminish the importance of the gift either. To state that is unnecessary for spiritual growth and holiness shouldn't be taken that, possibly, it might be a preferred or even better method to such growth. What I mean is that God Almighty deemed the gift as necessary for His saints, as He obviously bestowed it upon us as the Holy Spirit distributes. So, while not all have the gift, it is a most efficacious one in terms of spiritual growth and so many other things such as ministering to, edifying and exhorting others.
    I meant to word that differently. What I meant was that just because one states that the gift is unnecessary for growth it doesn't mean that one should therefore conclude it shouldn't be the preferred method (or better means to such growth). God gave the gift for a reason, and one of those reasons is for the edification of self and others.

  11. #31
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,337
    Rep Power
    99

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by Meggido View Post
    Anyone who said you need tongues to be saved is an idiot.
    It messes with a beleivers mind and can really set them back.

    I was told this when I went forward for prayer (which I did not do often at all), I felt I was missing something, didn't feel close to God or that he was distant.

    Apparantley tongues was the reason and the answer.

    Shocking, truly shocking.
    Meggido likes this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Marano's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2011
    Age
    22
    Posts
    351
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    please note the following is not getting at you at all.

    With regards to your last paragraph I have heard this many times from cessationalists.

    There is one thing that I myself don't get and can't reconcile in own mind.

    To me the gifts of the spirit seemed to have a place in establishing the church, building up the church but also evidence to non-believers that there is something powerful and in these believers and that is Jesus.

    The gifts manifest should always point to Jesus.

    I think laying aside tongues I would say Jesus manifest the gifts of the Spirit and that's what attracted people to him.

    So what I don't get is to such gifts stopped when we have the complete word of God.

    So to me many non-believers do not have the complete word of God so we cant just give them a bible and say read it.

    Jesus having done things that drew crouds to him why should they stop because we now have a book with printed words in it?

    So in my own mind I just don't get the reasoning that gifts of the spirit ceased now we have to bible.

    Now for me and maybe my focus is wrong but I think the fruit of the Holy Spirit and the gifts should go hand in hand. I would probably say I pray more for fruit and not gifts, overall LOVE.

    On a side note it would be intersting to look at why prophets disappeared for 400 years in the O.T.
    I think it stopped with Malachi but one thing is sure

    Malachi 3:1
    Chapter 3
    The Coming Messenger
    “Behold, I send My messenger,
    And he will prepare the way before Me.
    And the Lord, whom you seek,
    Will suddenly come to His temple,
    Even the Messenger of the covenant,
    In whom you delight.
    Behold, He is coming,”
    Says the Lord of hosts.
    I agree, it doesn't make sense to say that because we now have the complete canon of scripture, gifts have ceased.
    BillG likes this.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,031
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    You confess with your mouth, don't you? LOL jk
    now that was funny
    BenFTW likes this.

  14. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2016
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,674
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    the gift of tongues and how it is still a gift for today.
    It certainly is...




    when the perfect (revelation) comes, the tongues will cease.
    "Perfect revelation" is only possible after we leave Club Earth and we will know as we are known...

    1 Corinthians 13:8-12
    Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
    For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
    But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
    When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
    For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.


    2 things... where there is no love, all these things will cease (God is Love, speaking of when people quit walking in the Lord, rejecting His Word.... like those that reject the gift of the Spirit are rejecting God's Word on this and other subjects)
    And, when face to face (in Heaven with the Lord) we shall know as we are know... then we will see all.

    It's funny how people take a small snippet of scripture and try to claim something without looking at ALL scripture says on a subject and this is a good example of that.




    when we meet Jesus face to face, that's when tongues will cease, not now
    Exactly!

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,031
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    It messes with a beleivers mind and can really set them back.

    I was told this when I went forward for prayer (which I did not do often at all), I felt I was missing something, didn't feel close to God or that he was distant.

    Apparantley tongues was the reason and the answer.

    Shocking, truly shocking.
    I know a lot of Assembly of God churches in the USA say this, even today.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,031
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by Marano View Post
    I agree, it doesn't make sense to say that because we now have the complete canon of scripture, gifts have ceased.
    If this is true, then the gifts of salvation and righteousness have ceased as well. I mean if all gifts have ceased did those 2 as well?

  17. #37
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,337
    Rep Power
    99

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by Meggido View Post
    I know a lot of Assembly of God churches in the USA say this, even today.
    Truly shocking indeed.

    I spent half of my life believing I wasn't saved.
    I prayed earnestly for tongues but they never came.
    This is true, but I managed to tie it into the unforgivable sin, I truly didn't have faith in Jesus and a lack of tongues was evidence.

    what bought me through this after many years of doubt, seeking help not believing I was saved even though being told I had been fed a lie?

    John 17:23
    I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

    My disconnect from God was because I honestly felt he did not love me because I was a dirty miserable sinner and unlovable.

    When I realised that God loves me as much as he loves Jesus and that I am forgiven then he started to break down the barriers that I had actually put up.

    God is good and we all must remember that he loves us as much as he loves Jesus. Jesus is in us, in me.
    That is a constant truth, God loves us as much as he loves Jesus.

    Makes my heart melt even more every time a read it and the tears are still the same in my eyes every time I reflect on it.

    Its the truth, and the truth that sets us free.
    Ariel82, Marano and Meggido like this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,031
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Truly shocking indeed.

    I spent half of my life believing I wasn't saved.
    I prayed earnestly for tongues but they never came.
    This is true, but I managed to tie it into the unforgivable sin, I truly didn't have faith in Jesus and a lack of tongues was evidence.

    what bought me through this after many years of doubt, seeking help not believing I was saved even though being told I had been fed a lie?

    John 17:23
    I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

    My disconnect from God was because I honestly felt he did not love me because I was a dirty miserable sinner and unlovable.

    When I realised that God loves me as much as he loves Jesus and that I am forgiven then he started to break down the barriers that I had actually put up.

    God is good and we all must remember that he loves us as much as he loves Jesus. Jesus is in us, in me.
    That is a constant truth, God loves us as much as he loves Jesus.

    Makes my heart melt even more every time a read it and the tears are still the same in my eyes every time I reflect on it.

    Its the truth, and the truth that sets us free.
    beautiful man, just beautiful!
    BillG likes this.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2014
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,107
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by Marano View Post
    I agree that the way it's done in pentecostals and charismatic churches is wrong, and it's not scriptural, where there are people speaking in tongues, there should always be someone interpreting, if there's no interpreter no one should speak, but speak to himself.
    Well, the speaking in tongues which we have today comes almost from the Pentecostals and there teaching from the 2nd baptising with the Holy Spirit. So if this auf false teaching, then the speaking in tongues also is wrong. Special if we note that there is no different to the pagan, heathen or cults practise of speaking in tongues. It may be right that the Lord is useing speaking in tongues in certainly mission situations, as he also doing with healing ore prophecie ( speaking into the Situation of a person f.e. )
    For to show His power and for His glory.
    But its not for the church today. If it would for the church today we would found it among all christians and also during the church history. That it is mentioned in the first centurys it is not a proof for me. In those time were also big cults like the montanism.

  20. #40
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,337
    Rep Power
    99

    Default Re: Has the gift of speaking in tongues ceased? - Tim Conway

    Quote Originally Posted by Meggido View Post
    beautiful man, just beautiful!
    Is not God good? Is he not good?

    He is good, loving, kind, compassionate.

    He does not deal with us as we deserve, he remembers we are made from dust.

    Sorry a bit of a distraction from the OP but hay it's praising our God.
    stonesoffire likes this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Speaking in tongues
    By tinabeans1206 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: July 7th, 2016, 01:28 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2013, 12:07 AM
  3. Speaking in tongues?!
    By tryingtofindhim in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2013, 04:34 PM
  4. Speaking in tongues
    By Blain in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 618
    Last Post: June 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM
  5. Speaking in Tongues
    By sandstorm7 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: July 28th, 2010, 01:12 AM