Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 88
Like Tree91Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

  1. #1
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,092
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    83

    Default The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    DONT GET IT TWISTED
    -------------------------

    I'd like to make a list of things the gift of tongues is and is not, so down below you will find verses defining the gift and also possibly addressing false notions of what it is.

    The gift of tongues' purpose: 1 Corinthians 14:1-5 King James Version (KJV)

    14
    Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

    2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
    3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
    4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
    5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

    You'll notice from the above verses that the gift of tongues has a purpose and that purpose is to edify the tongue speaker and also the Church. It is meant to edify oneself and to be used to minister to others through interpretation.

    The gift of tongues has multifaceted uses: 1 Corinthians 14:12-17 King James Version (KJV)

    12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
    13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    15 What is it then? I willpray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
    16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
    17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

    You'll see above that the gift of tongues can be used to both pray and even sing. Tongues can be used to worship the Lord, but they can also be used to bless others while interpreting. So, in fact, one can pray in tongues, sing in tongues, and even minister to others in tongues (through interpretation).

    Please also note that the tongue speaker is encouraged to pray that they may interpret (meaning there is no separate interpreter, the tongue speaker himself/herself can interpret their own tongues granted interpretation is given by the Lord).

    The gift of tongues is only a language understood by man (false):
    1 Corinthians 14:2 King James Version (KJV)

    2
    For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

    Often you'll hear that the gift of tongues is only of human languages or of known languages (considering people believe it was an evangelistic tool used to speak to foreigners in their dialect). However we see clearly in the scripture above that the speaker of an unknown tongue is not speaking "unto men but unto God" and "no man understandeth him."

    Why? "In the spirit he speaketh mysteries", which means no one understands him unless what? Unless the tongues are supernaturally interpreted. I say supernaturally because the interpretation too, just as the gift of tongues, is a gift of the Spirit. So what we understand here is that the gift of tongues while it can be a known language (such as at Pentecost), it also serves a purpose other than what was accomplished at Pentecost (a sign). It as shown previously can be used for personal prayer, a message to the Church (in a gathering), and even worship/singing, none of which have to do with evangelism (for the most part).

    We should also consider that if we compare the gift of tongues at Pentecost to the gift of tongues spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14, you'll notice a difference between the two. One requires an interpreter and the other did not. At Pentecost the people heard the disciples speaking in their own language, no interpreter needed. At Corinth they were encouraged to use the gift of interpretation in tandem with the gift of tongues so that others may be edified. What reason would there be to interpret if you are already speaking in the language of the people supernaturally? It seems to me the language being spoken wasn't the people's language and people were "speaking mysteries in the Spirit" and they needed to be interpreted for the edification of the body of Christ.

    The gift of tongues is volitional (done at will): 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 King James Version (KJV)

    27
    If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

    28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

    What we see here is that the tongue speaker is encouraged and told to keep silent in the church and let him speak to himself and to God (if no interpreter is present to present to the church a message that edifies). In other words, "bridle your tongue" right? What does this imply? It informs us that the gift of tongues is not something that overtakes you, but is something you can do calmly and collected. It is volitional, and as you step out and start speaking then the Lord gives the utterance.

    Heres something to ponder. Why were the Corinthians being instructed in this manner? Were they out of order? Do you suppose that there needed to be guidelines because the opposite of order would occur? People speaking in tongues without interpretation? So, this being the case, it inform us that the gift is something we control, it is volitional (done at will). Do it wisely and in order.

    Do not Forbid Speaking in Tongues:
    1 Corinthians 14:39 King James Version (KJV)
    39
    Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

    Thats rather straightforward. Tongues are still for today and you shouldn't have a bias against them so long as they are done in order and in a church setting for the edification of the body of Christ.



  2. #2
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    50
    Posts
    19,810
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    137

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    With translator.com we have no need of a foreign language to be spoken in the Lord's churches.......

  3. #3
    Senior Member Roughsoul1991's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2016
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,834
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    DONT GET IT TWISTED
    -------------------------

    I'd like to make a list of things the gift of tongues is and is not, so down below you will find verses defining the gift and also possibly addressing false notions of what it is.

    The gift of tongues' purpose: 1 Corinthians 14:1-5 King James Version (KJV)

    14
    Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

    2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
    3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
    4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
    5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

    You'll notice from the above verses that the gift of tongues has a purpose and that purpose is to edify the tongue speaker and also the Church. It is meant to edify oneself and to be used to minister to others through interpretation.

    The gift of tongues has multifaceted uses: 1 Corinthians 14:12-17 King James Version (KJV)

    12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
    13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    15 What is it then? I willpray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
    16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
    17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

    You'll see above that the gift of tongues can be used to both pray and even sing. Tongues can be used to worship the Lord, but they can also be used to bless others while interpreting. So, in fact, one can pray in tongues, sing in tongues, and even minister to others in tongues (through interpretation).

    Please also note that the tongue speaker is encouraged to pray that they may interpret (meaning there is no separate interpreter, the tongue speaker himself/herself can interpret their own tongues granted interpretation is given by the Lord).

    The gift of tongues is only a language understood by man (false):
    1 Corinthians 14:2 King James Version (KJV)

    2
    For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

    Often you'll hear that the gift of tongues is only of human languages or of known languages (considering people believe it was an evangelistic tool used to speak to foreigners in their dialect). However we see clearly in the scripture above that the speaker of an unknown tongue is not speaking "unto men but unto God" and "no man understandeth him."

    Why? "In the spirit he speaketh mysteries", which means no one understands him unless what? Unless the tongues are supernaturally interpreted. I say supernaturally because the interpretation too, just as the gift of tongues, is a gift of the Spirit. So what we understand here is that the gift of tongues while it can be a known language (such as at Pentecost), it also serves a purpose other than what was accomplished at Pentecost (a sign). It as shown previously can be used for personal prayer, a message to the Church (in a gathering), and even worship/singing, none of which have to do with evangelism (for the most part).

    We should also consider that if we compare the gift of tongues at Pentecost to the gift of tongues spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14, you'll notice a difference between the two. One requires an interpreter and the other did not. At Pentecost the people heard the disciples speaking in their own language, no interpreter needed. At Corinth they were encouraged to use the gift of interpretation in tandem with the gift of tongues so that others may be edified. What reason would there be to interpret if you are already speaking in the language of the people supernaturally? It seems to me the language being spoken wasn't the people's language and people were "speaking mysteries in the Spirit" and they needed to be interpreted for the edification of the body of Christ.

    The gift of tongues is volitional (done at will): 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 King James Version (KJV)

    27
    If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

    28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

    What we see here is that the tongue speaker is encouraged and told to keep silent in the church and let him speak to himself and to God (if no interpreter is present to present to the church a message that edifies). In other words, "bridle your tongue" right? What does this imply? It informs us that the gift of tongues is not something that overtakes you, but is something you can do calmly and collected. It is volitional, and as you step out and start speaking then the Lord gives the utterance.

    Heres something to ponder. Why were the Corinthians being instructed in this manner? Were they out of order? Do you suppose that there needed to be guidelines because the opposite of order would occur? People speaking in tongues without interpretation? So, this being the case, it inform us that the gift is something we control, it is volitional (done at will). Do it wisely and in order.

    Do not Forbid Speaking in Tongues:
    1 Corinthians 14:39 King James Version (KJV)
    39
    Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

    Thats rather straightforward. Tongues are still for today and you shouldn't have a bias against them so long as they are done in order and in a church setting for the edification of the body of Christ.

    So far i have not witnessed someone speaking in a unknown language and then someone else interpreted it as a message from God.
    ForthAngel and dcontroversal like this.
    Sometimes we must not be afraid to ask why and question everything we Know!

    http://www.onenewsnow.com/
    http://christianchat.com/testimonies...nto-storm.html Led into the Storm
    http://christianchat.com/testimonies...testimony.html
    My revelation Story.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Johnny_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 18th, 2017
    Age
    61
    Posts
    868
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    DONT GET IT TWISTED
    -------------------------

    I'd like to make a list of things the gift of tongues is and is not, so down below you will find verses defining the gift and also possibly addressing false notions of what it is.

    The gift of tongues' purpose: 1 Corinthians 14:1-5 King James Version (KJV)

    14
    Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

    2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
    3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
    4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
    5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

    You'll notice from the above verses that the gift of tongues has a purpose and that purpose is to edify the tongue speaker and also the Church. It is meant to edify oneself and to be used to minister to others through interpretation.

    The gift of tongues has multifaceted uses: 1 Corinthians 14:12-17 King James Version (KJV)

    12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
    13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    15 What is it then? I willpray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
    16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
    17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

    You'll see above that the gift of tongues can be used to both pray and even sing. Tongues can be used to worship the Lord, but they can also be used to bless others while interpreting. So, in fact, one can pray in tongues, sing in tongues, and even minister to others in tongues (through interpretation).

    Please also note that the tongue speaker is encouraged to pray that they may interpret (meaning there is no separate interpreter, the tongue speaker himself/herself can interpret their own tongues granted interpretation is given by the Lord).

    The gift of tongues is only a language understood by man (false):
    1 Corinthians 14:2 King James Version (KJV)

    2
    For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

    Often you'll hear that the gift of tongues is only of human languages or of known languages (considering people believe it was an evangelistic tool used to speak to foreigners in their dialect). However we see clearly in the scripture above that the speaker of an unknown tongue is not speaking "unto men but unto God" and "no man understandeth him."

    Why? "In the spirit he speaketh mysteries", which means no one understands him unless what? Unless the tongues are supernaturally interpreted. I say supernaturally because the interpretation too, just as the gift of tongues, is a gift of the Spirit. So what we understand here is that the gift of tongues while it can be a known language (such as at Pentecost), it also serves a purpose other than what was accomplished at Pentecost (a sign). It as shown previously can be used for personal prayer, a message to the Church (in a gathering), and even worship/singing, none of which have to do with evangelism (for the most part).

    We should also consider that if we compare the gift of tongues at Pentecost to the gift of tongues spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14, you'll notice a difference between the two. One requires an interpreter and the other did not. At Pentecost the people heard the disciples speaking in their own language, no interpreter needed. At Corinth they were encouraged to use the gift of interpretation in tandem with the gift of tongues so that others may be edified. What reason would there be to interpret if you are already speaking in the language of the people supernaturally? It seems to me the language being spoken wasn't the people's language and people were "speaking mysteries in the Spirit" and they needed to be interpreted for the edification of the body of Christ.

    The gift of tongues is volitional (done at will): 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 King James Version (KJV)

    27
    If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

    28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

    What we see here is that the tongue speaker is encouraged and told to keep silent in the church and let him speak to himself and to God (if no interpreter is present to present to the church a message that edifies). In other words, "bridle your tongue" right? What does this imply? It informs us that the gift of tongues is not something that overtakes you, but is something you can do calmly and collected. It is volitional, and as you step out and start speaking then the Lord gives the utterance.

    Heres something to ponder. Why were the Corinthians being instructed in this manner? Were they out of order? Do you suppose that there needed to be guidelines because the opposite of order would occur? People speaking in tongues without interpretation? So, this being the case, it inform us that the gift is something we control, it is volitional (done at will). Do it wisely and in order.

    Do not Forbid Speaking in Tongues:
    1 Corinthians 14:39 King James Version (KJV)
    39
    Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

    Thats rather straightforward. Tongues are still for today and you shouldn't have a bias against them so long as they are done in order and in a church setting for the edification of the body of Christ.

    My Lord why the KJV, there are better translation of more reliable manuscripts today. The KJV has out lived it's relevance, at least use that NKJV, it's a more up to date translation of the same manuscripts if I'm not mistaken.
    John 6:63, 65 "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life....65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”

    I Corinthians 4:7 "For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?"

    Born in the Spirit & word, granted by the Father. EE-TEOW




  5. #5
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,092
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    83

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_B View Post
    My Lord why the KJV, there are better translation of more reliable manuscripts today. The KJV has out lived it's relevance, at least use that NKJV, it's a more up to date translation of the same manuscripts if I'm not mistaken.
    Feel free to use BibleGateway.com to look up the verses in other versions.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,092
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    83

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    With translator.com we have no need of a foreign language to be spoken in the Lord's churches.......
    Heh, again, only one aspect of a gift that is multifaceted. Not to mention God still desires to speak to His children, and encourage, uplift and exhort them. Which is something that can occur through the gift of tongues, it is a tool that can be used for fellowship.

  7. #7
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    50
    Posts
    19,810
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    137

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    Heh, again, only one aspect of a gift that is multifaceted. Not to mention God still desires to speak to His children, and encourage, uplift and exhort them. Which is something that can occur through the gift of tongues, it is a tool that can be used for fellowship.
    Yeah I still see Paul saying a few things....like which gifts to covet and the fact he would rather speak a few words of understanding as opposed to 10,000 in an uknown or foreign tounge...........

  8. #8
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Is the purpose of the tongues, other than speaking to God and edifying oneself, to convey thoughts and feelings deeper and more complex than we can communicate or express with our limited languages?

    And I would like to see an interpreter analyze an unknown language and explain how they came to their conclusions.
    BenFTW and Sherril like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,092
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    83

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    Yeah I still see Paul saying a few things....like which gifts to covet and the fact he would rather speak a few words of understanding as opposed to 10,000 in an uknown or foreign tounge...........
    Absolutely, the apostle Paul was emphasizing edification, especially that of the body of Christ's edification. He told people to desire and seek after the best gifts and so he put emphasis on prophecy. He said that the person speaking prophecy is greater than the tongue speaker (for edification), and thats where most people stop. However, the verse goes on to make a statement that actually puts the gift of tongues and prophecy on equal footing.

    1 Corinthians 14:4-5 King James Version (KJV)

    4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
    5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

    Notice that the church may be just as edified through tongues as prophecy if the tongues are interpreted? Its right there in the text. Imagine, the apostle Paul even said, "I would that ye all spake in tongues" so its not like he is diminishing their importance, he wants it for everyone. But more than wanting believers to experience the blessing of that gift he was church minded, wanting people to operate in gifts that allow them to edify each other greatly.

    When he speaks of speaking ten thousand words in tongues in contrast to a few in a language people understand , his point, again, is not in opposition to tongues but rather an emphasis on edifying others and therefore an encouragement to interpret tongues (so that others may be edified).


    1 Corinthians 14:13-18 King James Version (KJV)

    13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
    16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
    17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
    18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

    See in these verses the context reveals that he is putting emphasis on interpreting, not downplaying the importance of the gift of tongues. He wants people edified and through tongues for it to edify them in mind people, believers, are to interpret the tongues (with the gift of interpretation).



    kaylagrl, LOLOKGal and Sherril like this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,092
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    83

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    Is the purpose of the tongues, other than speaking to God and edifying oneself, to convey thoughts and feelings deeper and more complex than we can communicate or express with our limited languages?

    And I would like to see an interpreter analyze an unknown language and explain how they came to their conclusions.
    It doesn't have to do with analyzing the tongue necessarily, as if one is deciphering something. It can be at times, there are people who when hearing tongues God gives them imagery to express what the tongues are saying and it is then in interpreting the image they articulate what they believe the Lord is saying.

    For others the process is much like getting a word of knowledge or wisdom, it can be instantaneous. I speak a word in tongues and immediately the interpretation can go right across your mind and you see what it says, written out or you just know as like a thought coming to your mind. Maybe like a whisper.

    In respect to your first question, surely that occurs and even more aptly stated it allows us to pray about things we are in ignorance to. I once heard it said of tongues that "it allows us to pray in perfect faith the perfect will of God" because our mind, or rather our doubt, is not a hindrance to what we are praying. Hence, perfect faith. Not only that but it allows the Holy Spirit to give our spirit the utterance (or words) to pray to the Father, both in terms of prayer and even worship. A song in your spirit praising the Father for who He is. Magnifying Him.

    One of my favorite things about tongues is that it can be used to fellowship with the Lord.
    kaylagrl, LOLOKGal and Sherril like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    It doesn't have to do with analyzing the tongue necessarily, as if one is deciphering something. It can be at times, there are people who when hearing tongues God gives them imagery to express what the tongues are saying and it is then in interpreting the image they articulate what they believe the Lord is saying.

    For others the process is much like getting a word of knowledge or wisdom, it can be instantaneous. I speak a word in tongues and immediately the interpretation can go right across your mind and you see what it says, written out or you just know as like a thought coming to your mind. Maybe like a whisper.

    In respect to your first question, surely that occurs and even more aptly stated it allows us to pray about things we are in ignorance to. I once heard it said of tongues that "it allows us to pray in perfect faith the perfect will of God" because our mind, or rather our doubt, is not a hindrance to what we are praying. Hence, perfect faith. Not only that but it allows the Holy Spirit to give our spirit the utterance (or words) to pray to the Father, both in terms of prayer and even worship. A song in your spirit praising the Father for who He is. Magnifying Him.

    One of my favorite things about tongues is that it can be used to fellowship with the Lord.
    Yes I see the great importance of this. And I understand how the interpreters work now. I've had experiences meditating and praying where ideas and conclusions seem to have been given to me without the work required to get there, or at least it seems that way. So I guess the interpreters experience something like this.
    BenFTW, kaylagrl and LOLOKGal like this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member LOLOKGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2015
    Age
    41
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    12

    Red face Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Awesome post! =D

    I would like to point out, if I may, that there are a few times when speaking in tongues can be in an unknown early language to the one speaking too. We see this in Acts 2.

    4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

    5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

    6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

    7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

    8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

    9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

    10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

    11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

    12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this
    BenFTW, kaylagrl, AllenW and 2 others like this.
    Red heads are God's way of giving the world Roses.
    If you can't be a good example then you'll have to be a horrible warning.


  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2014
    Age
    54
    Posts
    889
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    DONT GET IT TWISTED
    -------------------------

    I'd like to make a list of things the gift of tongues is and is not, so down below you will find verses defining the gift and also possibly addressing false notions of what it is.

    The gift of tongues' purpose: 1 Corinthians 14:1-5 King James Version (KJV)

    14
    Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

    2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
    3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
    4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
    5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

    You'll notice from the above verses that the gift of tongues has a purpose and that purpose is to edify the tongue speaker and also the Church. It is meant to edify oneself and to be used to minister to others through interpretation.

    The gift of tongues has multifaceted uses: 1 Corinthians 14:12-17 King James Version (KJV)

    12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
    13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
    15 What is it then? I willpray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
    16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
    17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

    You'll see above that the gift of tongues can be used to both pray and even sing. Tongues can be used to worship the Lord, but they can also be used to bless others while interpreting. So, in fact, one can pray in tongues, sing in tongues, and even minister to others in tongues (through interpretation).

    Please also note that the tongue speaker is encouraged to pray that they may interpret (meaning there is no separate interpreter, the tongue speaker himself/herself can interpret their own tongues granted interpretation is given by the Lord).

    The gift of tongues is only a language understood by man (false):
    1 Corinthians 14:2 King James Version (KJV)

    2
    For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

    Often you'll hear that the gift of tongues is only of human languages or of known languages (considering people believe it was an evangelistic tool used to speak to foreigners in their dialect). However we see clearly in the scripture above that the speaker of an unknown tongue is not speaking "unto men but unto God" and "no man understandeth him."

    Why? "In the spirit he speaketh mysteries", which means no one understands him unless what? Unless the tongues are supernaturally interpreted. I say supernaturally because the interpretation too, just as the gift of tongues, is a gift of the Spirit. So what we understand here is that the gift of tongues while it can be a known language (such as at Pentecost), it also serves a purpose other than what was accomplished at Pentecost (a sign). It as shown previously can be used for personal prayer, a message to the Church (in a gathering), and even worship/singing, none of which have to do with evangelism (for the most part).

    We should also consider that if we compare the gift of tongues at Pentecost to the gift of tongues spoken of in 1 Corinthians 14, you'll notice a difference between the two. One requires an interpreter and the other did not. At Pentecost the people heard the disciples speaking in their own language, no interpreter needed. At Corinth they were encouraged to use the gift of interpretation in tandem with the gift of tongues so that others may be edified. What reason would there be to interpret if you are already speaking in the language of the people supernaturally? It seems to me the language being spoken wasn't the people's language and people were "speaking mysteries in the Spirit" and they needed to be interpreted for the edification of the body of Christ.

    The gift of tongues is volitional (done at will): 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 King James Version (KJV)

    27
    If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

    28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

    What we see here is that the tongue speaker is encouraged and told to keep silent in the church and let him speak to himself and to God (if no interpreter is present to present to the church a message that edifies). In other words, "bridle your tongue" right? What does this imply? It informs us that the gift of tongues is not something that overtakes you, but is something you can do calmly and collected. It is volitional, and as you step out and start speaking then the Lord gives the utterance.

    Heres something to ponder. Why were the Corinthians being instructed in this manner? Were they out of order? Do you suppose that there needed to be guidelines because the opposite of order would occur? People speaking in tongues without interpretation? So, this being the case, it inform us that the gift is something we control, it is volitional (done at will). Do it wisely and in order.

    Do not Forbid Speaking in Tongues:
    1 Corinthians 14:39 King James Version (KJV)
    39
    Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

    Thats rather straightforward. Tongues are still for today and you shouldn't have a bias against them so long as they are done in order and in a church setting for the edification of the body of Christ.

    If it is normal for us today, then why not for all christians and why not during church Historie taught in all christians churches? And why this gift is combined with a 2nd baptising with the Holy Spirit? If these gift would be for today too, then it would be given like all other spirituell gifts which Paul mentioned to build upon the church. But according Pentecostals and Charismatics theology receiving the gift of speaking in tougues is different to that what bible teaches.

  14. #14
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,092
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    83

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by LOLOKGal View Post
    Awesome post! =D

    I would like to point out, if I may, that there are a few times when speaking in tongues can be in an unknown early language to the one speaking too. We see this in Acts 2.

    4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

    5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

    6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

    7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

    8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

    9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

    10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

    11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

    12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this
    Definitely, another use of tongues. The issue that comes up in this discussion is when believers take Pentecost as the end all and be all of tongues, not considering that it is multifaceted and they limit it to its purpose at Pentecost and not beyond. However God had/has plans for the gift of tongues that went beyond Pentecost which is exactly why even in the setting of gatherings people are encouraged to operate in the gift and interpret for others to be edified.

    Completely different operations of the gift, one not needing interpretation and the other needed it because "no man understandeth him." So while Pentecost did represent a use of tongues in which the tongue speaker supernaturally speaks fluently in a language they are otherwise ignorant, Corinthians teaches on the gift of tongues as a language no one understands, not even the audience listening, unless someone interprets for all to be edified.

    This is why it is wrong to define the gift of tongues as only being languages people understand, because we have clear teaching by an apostle that they are speaking to God and not men, and no one understands what they are saying because they are speaking mysteries in the Spirit.
    kaylagrl, LOLOKGal and Sherril like this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member LOLOKGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2015
    Age
    41
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Yes! Exactly! =D
    BenFTW and Sherril like this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwint View Post
    If it is normal for us today, then why not for all christians and why not during church Historie taught in all christians churches? And why this gift is combined with a 2nd baptising with the Holy Spirit? If these gift would be for today too, then it would be given like all other spirituell gifts which Paul mentioned to build upon the church. But according Pentecostals and Charismatics theology receiving the gift of speaking in tougues is different to that what bible teaches.
    Mark 16:17-18King James Version (KJV)

    17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.



    Are any of the 5 signs of the believer taught?

  17. #17
    Senior Member trofimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2015
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,621
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    You can try translator by Google. If it will detect the language and translate it, it is probably an existing language and you have the gift
    Let the brotherly love stay * Láska bratrská ať zůstává

  18. #18


    jb
    jb is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2010
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,442
    Blog Entries
    29
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    The Gift of Tongues
    Did a very short blog on this, you can find it Here
    LOLOKGal likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member LOLOKGal's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2015
    Age
    41
    Posts
    554
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    12

    Red face Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwint View Post
    If it is normal for us today, then why not for all christians...
    Oh, but it is for all Christians...
    Mark 16:17- "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues"

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwint View Post
    ...and why not during church Historie taught in all christians churches?
    For many years the "church", or the pope and priests, hid the Bible from people. They made it a "sin" for anyone "unclean" (not a religious leader) to own a Bible. They did this because they could "control" people. It wasn't until the 1500's when people started rebelling against this rule that people started owning their own copy of the Bible.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwint View Post
    ...And why this gift is combined with a 2nd baptising with the Holy Spirit?
    Acts 19:1-7 - "While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit whenyou believed?”

    They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

    So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

    “John’s baptism,” they replied.

    Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. There were about twelve men in all."

    I hope this helps answer your questions. =)
    Sherril likes this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member sevenseas's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    851
    Rep Power
    32

    Default Re: The Gift of Tongues: Don't Get It TWISTED

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    Yeah I still see Paul saying a few things....like which gifts to covet and the fact he would rather speak a few words of understanding as opposed to 10,000 in an uknown or foreign tounge...........

    you left out half the equation

    Paul also said he spoke in tongues more than anyone PLUS he thanked God that he did

    18I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue. I Corinthians 14

    Paul's instructions corrected the misuse of tongues. we are told NOT TO FORBID SPEAKING IN TONGUES

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What's having the gift of tongues like?
    By dothackzero in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: December 11th, 2016, 06:13 PM
  2. If I want to receive the gift of tongues
    By rdbseekingafterhim in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2016, 11:22 AM
  3. Receiving the gift of Tongues
    By ashaw5 in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 26th, 2016, 07:26 PM
  4. Is the Gift of Tongues for everyone???
    By SpiritofElijah in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: July 10th, 2014, 04:33 PM
  5. Is the Gift of Tongues for everyone or just some?
    By dothackzero in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: September 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM