Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
Like Tree69Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    61
    Posts
    65
    Blog Entries
    108
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    In those days, when Jesus begin to teach, and preach,he was telling them that when you see him, you see the Father. they were one in the same. Example:everybody has a fingerprint like no other. that fingerprint identifies you. you and that fingerprint are one in the same.. that is you.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    12,583
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    145

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    Jesus was born fully man, but is also fully God. He's the God-man. The only One who can truthfully make this claim.
    Very true I was just about to post that simply because he received the holy spirit only upon baptism that doesn't change who he is. If from the beginning he was God then even without his power he is still himself a body doesn't change the fact he is god because who he is is within his heart not his body or the lack of power
    pottersclay likes this.
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    A fired up Christian shouldn't be that big a deal. Our love should be an overpowering burning desire to serve and be in His presence

  3. #23
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    801
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    Very true I was just about to post that simply because he received the holy spirit only upon baptism that doesn't change who he is. If from the beginning he was God then even without his power he is still himself a body doesn't change the fact he is god because who he is is within his heart not his body or the lack of power
    I don't think the Spirit added to Him. He knew who He was at 12. However, by John the Baptist seeing the Spirit remaining upon Him, it confirmed that who he saw the Spirit remain upon was the prophesied Messiah.
    pottersclay likes this.

    Brother preacher4truth(on the left and apparently my hero, too!!!) and me, his trusty sidekick.

  4. #24
    Senior Member followjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2016
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,713
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Was Jesus gifted by the holy spirit or were these powers of his own?

    Are the fruit and gifts of the holy spirit his or are they from Jesus?

    We know that Jesus was a gift from God.
    To me the question is rather "Does God have a Begotten Son?" because of scriptures like this

    1 john 4:15 "Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God."

    and like this 1 john 5:5-6 "
    Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? 6This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth."

    and of course the foundation of Christianity and eternal Life

    John 3:16-18 "
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

    the spirit of God, dwelt in the temple of the Body of His only BEGOTTEN son. to my own belief this is paramount in Christianity. because Jesus the only begotten, is the means by which we are adopted as sons. we arent Gods, but children of God through His only Son.

    ephesians 1:5 "
    Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will"

    I know this is a hot button issue, but to me the scriptures are clear as to the Son of God. His power was given to Him by commandment before the world was, but He was kept Hidden with God until the appointed time of His appearance, bieng Gods weapon of victory for us through redemption. this isnt to argue with ANYONE lol just my own view of scripture, God bless and keep yas

    pottersclay likes this.

  5. #25
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    64

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Thank you for all your input. It's truly a blessing to see no argument or derails.

    We 're going over the birth of Jesus at my home study with the family.
    It was fun to pose this view of " if it was up to you to save the world how would you of done it"
    Seeing God chose to come into this world as a infant it suggested to me 3 things .harmless, helpless, confident. Now I know that the birth of Christ was prophesied but what does it say to you when God chose to be a babe.
    followjesus likes this.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,251
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—then He said to the paralytic, “Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” And he arose and departed to his house.
    Now when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and glorified God, who had given such power to men.

    No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

    And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
    These are important verses to the discussion. However, all three are in the realm of authority (delegated sovereignty) rather than power (strength, might, or ability). I would suggest that these don't take away from the view that Jesus did nothing by His own power, but rather by that of the Holy Spirit.

    There is no record of Jesus doing any miracles before the Holy Spirit came upon Him. While I don't have all the verses handy to back it up, I believe that part of the "emptying" (Philippians 2:7) involved voluntary suspension of powers partly to accomplish His purpose and partly to model reliance on the Spirit for us.
    Dan58, pottersclay and Meggido like this.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2016
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    56

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Was Jesus gifted by the holy spirit or were these powers of his own?

    Are the fruit and gifts of the holy spirit his or are they from Jesus?

    We know that Jesus was a gift from God.
    This question can only be asked by someone who sees Jesus , The Holy Spirit and God the Father as being 3 seperate beings..

    The Bible teaches that they are One..
    pottersclay likes this.

  8. #28
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    64

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino246 View Post
    These are important verses to the discussion. However, all three are in the realm of authority (delegated sovereignty) rather than power (strength, might, or ability). I would suggest that these don't take away from the view that Jesus did nothing by His own power, but rather by that of the Holy Spirit.

    There is no record of Jesus doing any miracles before the Holy Spirit came upon Him. While I don't have all the verses handy to back it up, I believe that part of the "emptying" (Philippians 2:7) involved voluntary suspension of powers partly to accomplish His purpose and partly to model reliance on the Spirit for us.
    Dino thank you for the comment, looking at the scriptures I posted particularly the last one may I suggest looking at the time frame.

  9. #29
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,373
    Rep Power
    64

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adstar View Post
    This question can only be asked by someone who sees Jesus , The Holy Spirit and God the Father as being 3 seperate beings..

    The Bible teaches that they are One..
    Yes they are one no doubt. Is it possible the gospels are showing how they work independently?

  10. #30
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,251
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Dino thank you for the comment, looking at the scriptures I posted particularly the last one may I suggest looking at the time frame.
    Aww man, now you're asking me to think!

    Agreed... Christ is with us... need to think some more...
    Last edited by Dino246; 4 Days Ago at 11:34 PM.

  11. #31
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    801
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adstar View Post
    This question can only be asked by someone who sees Jesus , The Holy Spirit and God the Father as being 3 seperate beings..

    The Bible teaches that they are One..
    They are three in One, yet also separate. God the Father is not God the Son, and God the Son is not God the Spirit. While Jesus was on earth, after His baptism, the Father's voice was heard from heaven and the Spirit came down in the form of a dove.

    But they are three in One Godhead.
    followjesus likes this.

    Brother preacher4truth(on the left and apparently my hero, too!!!) and me, his trusty sidekick.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    232
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

    Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

    Why does the Bible only attribute the Father as being God.
    pottersclay and followjesus like this.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Rockrz's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2016
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    So Jesus had no power of his own?
    He did, but when He took upon flesh and became a man (sinless of course), He did not carry with Him His power He had before taking upon flesh...

    Philippians 2:7,8
    But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.


    That all changed of course after He was raised from the dead... He be all powerful

    The only reason He did what He did described in Philippians 2:7,8 was so He could go to the cross to save us.





    We do not have it innately.
    Those that are born again and filled with the Holy Spirit (actually allowing the Spirit to live and walk in them)... actually do.

    if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Romans 8:9)

  14. #34
    Senior Member followjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2016
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,713
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    They are three in One, yet also separate. God the Father is not God the Son, and God the Son is not God the Spirit. While Jesus was on earth, after His baptism, the Father's voice was heard from heaven and the Spirit came down in the form of a dove.

    But they are three in One Godhead.
    i agree with that assesment completely, Jesus is one with the Father, but clearly God has a Son named Jesus who is the Christ. i your comment i find to remond me of this

    1 john 5:5-8 "Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? 6This is HE that came by WATER and BLOOD, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the SPIRIT that beareth WITNESS, because the Spirit is truth.

    7For there are THREE that bear record in HEAVEN, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

    8And there are THREE that bear WITNESS in EARTH, the SPIRIT, and the WATER, and the BLOOD (v6): and these three agree IN one.."
    pottersclay likes this.

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Perhaps this may be regarded as a non sequitur but the answer to the OP is essentially and completely an understanding of the inter-relationship between the three persons of the Godhead.
    Line these up and the answer becomes apparent.

    Good question BTW!
    pottersclay likes this.

  16. #36
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    801
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by followjesus View Post
    i agree with that assesment completely, Jesus is one with the Father, but clearly God has a Son named Jesus who is the Christ. i your comment i find to remond me of this

    1 john 5:5-8 "Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? 6This is HE that came by WATER and BLOOD, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the SPIRIT that beareth WITNESS, because the Spirit is truth.

    7For there are THREE that bear record in HEAVEN, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

    8And there are THREE that bear WITNESS in EARTH, the SPIRIT, and the WATER, and the BLOOD (v6): and these three agree IN one.."
    For ppl to say they are One and not three fringes upon modalism. Modalism has the Godhead as three manifestations and not three distinct persons in the Godhead.
    pottersclay and followjesus like this.

    Brother preacher4truth(on the left and apparently my hero, too!!!) and me, his trusty sidekick.

  17. #37
    Senior Member followjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2016
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,713
    Rep Power
    39

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    For ppl to say they are One and not three fringes upon modalism. Modalism has the Godhead as three manifestations and not three distinct persons in the Godhead.
    To me i just see it as Jesus is the Son of God the Father, and we receive the Holy Ghost in us, through Him. the finished product is God in Jesus in us by the spirit. while im not at all disputing you, actually in agreement, i just try to always stick to the simplicity of the word and my understanding of it. that is That the only God, sent His only begotten Son, to send His spirit to live in me. all are reverenced and all have thier purpose in redemption.

    John 14:20 "At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
    pottersclay likes this.

  18. #38
    Senior Member Dan58's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2013
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,512
    Rep Power
    27

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Jesus healed via the power of the Holy Spirit. He did no miracles prior to the Holy Spirit ascending upon him when baptized. But of course, being the Word from the beginning, the miracles were only done by Christ calling them forth. So Jesus had the authority, but the deed was performed by the Holy spirit. They worked in unison; God the knowledge, Christ the expression and manifestation, and the Spirit the action..

  19. #39
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    801
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by followjesus View Post
    To me i just see it as Jesus is the Son of God the Father, and we receive the Holy Ghost in us, through Him. the finished product is God in Jesus in us by the spirit. while im not at all disputing you, actually in agreement, i just try to always stick to the simplicity of the word and my understanding of it. that is That the only God, sent His only begotten Son, to send His spirit to live in me. all are reverenced and all have thier purpose in redemption.

    John 14:20 "At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
    To put it simply and succinctly...

    There's God the Father...
    There's God the Son...
    There's God the holy Spirit...

    In Revelation 5, we see the Father setting upon His throne with a book in His right hand. We see Jesus, the Lamb that had been slain, taking that book out of the Father's hand.

    This shows me they are not the same person. There are 3 in the Godhead, and I am sure you agree.

    But that's as simple as I can make it.

    Brother preacher4truth(on the left and apparently my hero, too!!!) and me, his trusty sidekick.

  20. #40
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    801
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan58 View Post
    Jesus healed via the power of the Holy Spirit. He did no miracles prior to the Holy Spirit ascending upon him when baptized. But of course, being the Word from the beginning, the miracles were only done by Christ calling them forth. So Jesus had the authority, but the deed was performed by the Holy spirit. They worked in unison; God the knowledge, Christ the expression and manifestation, and the Spirit the action..
    Priests didn't start their ministry to around the age of 30. That was the age Jesus was at the time of His baptism.

    Brother preacher4truth(on the left and apparently my hero, too!!!) and me, his trusty sidekick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Interesting Thought
    By dcontroversal in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2014, 07:51 PM
  2. An Interesting Thought
    By JaumeJ in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 8th, 2013, 04:41 AM
  3. An interesting thought
    By adekruif in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2013, 09:29 PM
  4. Discuss
    By destiny in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 9th, 2012, 03:17 AM
  5. What we discuss
    By charisenexcelcis in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 30th, 2009, 07:29 AM