Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
Like Tree71Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

  1. #1
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,546
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Was Jesus gifted by the holy spirit or were these powers of his own?

    Are the fruit and gifts of the holy spirit his or are they from Jesus?

    We know that Jesus was a gift from God.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,466
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Was Jesus gifted by the holy spirit or were these powers of his own?

    Are the fruit and gifts of the holy spirit his or are they from Jesus?

    We know that Jesus was a gift from God.
    Acts 10.38 is pretty clear how Jesus manifested miracles.

    You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.

  3. #3
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,546
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Meggido View Post
    Acts 10.38 is pretty clear how Jesus manifested miracles.

    You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.
    So Jesus had no power of his own?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Grace777x70's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    19,286
    Rep Power
    220

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Jesus said that He lived by the Father inside of Him. He said that it is the Father inside Him who is doing His works - not Jesus. ( He did participate in them with the Father by means of the Holy Spirit )

    John 14:10-11 (NASB)
    10 "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.

    11 "Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe because of the works themselves.

    He said He could do nothing of His own initiative. John 5:30

    As Jesus lived by the life of the Father in Him - with total dependence on His life - so we too live by the life of Christ inside of us manifesting His life as a fruit of our union as one spirit with Christ. We too can do nothing without Christ.
    The new man in Christ - the new creation that is created in righteousness and

    holiness hears the heart voice of the Spirit and not an old head noise of the letter

    of the word. The Pharisees knew "bible knowledge" but they did not

    know God's heart and so they erred in really understanding what the

    scriptures were saying.


    The Lord wants us to look through His eyes and to live from His heart towards

    people, towards Him and towards ourselves as well.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2017
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,466
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    So Jesus had no power of his own?


    I tell people all the time that Jesus did not do what he did because he was the son of God.
    Now hear me out, before jumping.

    Acts 10.38 says Jesus did it all through the anointing and power of the Holy Spirit.
    Jesus was showing us how to do it today.

    Those that do not understand the ministry of the Holy Spirit today will tear me apart on this and its fine.
    When people learn the truth that Jesus manifested things by anointing and power of the Holy Spirit they are set free.

    I am being intentionally careful here, because I do not wish for this thread to overrun with deity Vs. Man dogma.

    Acts 10.38 tells you what powers Jesus had and we have that same power available to us today.

  6. #6
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,546
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—then He said to the paralytic, “Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” And he arose and departed to his house.
    Now when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and glorified God, who had given such power to men.

    No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

    And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
    Grace777x70, 3putter and Meggido like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    12,940
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    159

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Hmm... Well this is just my thoughts here but Jesus was an example of a true Christian correct? It would make sense if he purposely became a vessel for the holy spirit and father to work through not having any power of his own yet having authority as we who the spirit lives in have no power of ourselves yet have the authority in Christ.

    Maybe he does have power just as father and the holy spirit does or maybe not, maybe he purposely gave up his own power to set an example if so that just amazes me even more about his humbleness
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    The strongest among you may not wear a crown

  8. #8
    Member 3putter's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 18th, 2016
    Age
    44
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    I thought Jesus was God. I believe in the Trinity, and I know it is very confusing, but I do not believe Jesus was any less God when he was here on earth as man.

    I was taught that Jesus was the power of Creation spoken of in Genesis, and that nothing was created without him.
    Matthew 4:17) From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

  9. #9
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,546
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    And this is exactly why I posted this thread. It's very important to understand what is going on and how when it comes to Jesus.
    Blain very good feed back. 3putter love your view. So saints waiting for more views and let's discuss.
    Blain likes this.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 2nd, 2016
    Age
    72
    Posts
    1,652
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Much of God is a mystery. Some hold to the idea that Jesus was just a man who got His power from the Spirit and that all of us can do the same thing. I don't go with that one, Jesus was Co Creator with the Father. Also, the Spirit of God is at times called the Spirit of Christ. Also, Jesus was specific that the Spirit would not speak of Himself but would relay what He heard(obviously from the Father & Son). A side note, God actually talked to me at my salvation experience and I suppose that it had to be the Spirit that was speaking, however the Person said to me, you must accept My Son as your Savior. In other words, the Spirit of God spoke to me as the Father.
    Blain and pottersclay like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,546
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by samuel23 View Post
    Much of God is a mystery. Some hold to the idea that Jesus was just a man who got His power from the Spirit and that all of us can do the same thing. I don't go with that one, Jesus was Co Creator with the Father. Also, the Spirit of God is at times called the Spirit of Christ. Also, Jesus was specific that the Spirit would not speak of Himself but would relay what He heard(obviously from the Father & Son). A side note, God actually talked to me at my salvation experience and I suppose that it had to be the Spirit that was speaking, however the Person said to me, you must accept My Son as your Savior. In other words, the Spirit of God spoke to me as the Father.
    Glad to have you aboard Samuel your input is appreciated.
    Blain likes this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    12,940
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    159

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The word has always been seen as Jesus and it says the word was God. Now being God he could have chosen to have all his powers during his life on earth and who knows maybe he did and only was baptized by the holy spirit as an example and only started his ministry to show that you can only truly do God's work with his spirit.

    The thing about the trinity is that they are of one mind and heart however they also seem to have different roles it did appear as Jesus spoke about father as if he was under him but again that could simply be him being an example
    pottersclay likes this.
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    The strongest among you may not wear a crown

  13. #13
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,546
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    And the Child grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him.

    Now here I think is a good place to start. Some people think that Jesus was in full power since birth taking God in the flesh as like a transporter thing. Scripture reveals a different thing.
    Truly jesus is God in the flesh but how it happened is the focus.
    Grace777x70 likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    61
    Posts
    346
    Blog Entries
    249
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Jesus was not a Christian,he did not follow after the unworthy man, but man followed after him.In st. John ;1; 1,it says that in the beginning was the word,and the word was with God,and the word was God.. the same was in the beginning with God. It also says in verse 13 that which were born,not of blood,nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will, of man, but of God. man had nothing to do with Jesus birth. God said so ,not man.You have God the Father ,the creator, you have Jesus,the word of God.God spoke his word,and whatever he spoke came into existence by they the actions of the Holy Spirit that manifested it all. I know this is hard to understand for some.,but God's word is a mystery to some ,because they have not drawn closer to God as others have in order to see and learn the truth about most things.. If you draw closer to him ,he will draw closer to you, and the closer you get the more of him that will be revealed. Example: you see me, but off from a distance. you can't see all there is of me unless you walk closer, and as you walk closer ,so will I. then you will be able to see me in a lot more detailed, and a much clearer picture.I now have allowed myself to be revealed to you, because you came closer. That's God, my fellow believers.
    pottersclay likes this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,546
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel2020 View Post
    Jesus was not a Christian,he did not follow after the unworthy man, but man followed after him.In st. John ;1; 1,it says that in the beginning was the word,and the word was with God,and the word was God.. the same was in the beginning with God. It also says in verse 13 that which were born,not of blood,nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will, of man, but of God. man had nothing to do with Jesus birth. God said so ,not man.You have God the Father ,the creator, you have Jesus,the word of God.God spoke his word,and whatever he spoke came into existence by they the actions of the Holy Spirit that manifested it all. I know this is hard to understand for some.,but God's word is a mystery to some ,because they have not drawn closer to God as others have in order to see and learn the truth about most things.. If you draw closer to him ,he will draw closer to you, and the closer you get the more of him that will be revealed. Example: you see me, but off from a distance. you can't see all there is of me unless you walk closer, and as you walk closer ,so will I. then you will be able to see me in a lot more detailed, and a much clearer picture.I now have allowed myself to be revealed to you, because you came closer. That's God, my fellow believers.
    Absolutely saint but there was a change which you said but missed. If I may, ( the word became flesh). A step down, Jesus giving up his divinity his heavenly place. To become one of us not only as flesh and bone but also totally dependent on God .......or was he.....that's the question.

  16. #16
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,469
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    The baptism of the Christ was not to make Him anymore Christ, as He, at 12, told Mary He needed to be about His Father's business. The reason why He was baptized was as a sign to John the Baptist, that the prophesied Messiah had, indeed come.

    Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him.
    And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One."[John 1:32-34]
    ForthAngel likes this.
    I have given God countless reasons not to love me. None of them has been strong enough to change Him.
    Paul Washer

    Instead of telling them God has a wonderful plan for their life - tell them who God is.
    Paul Washer

    God saved you for Himself; God saved you by Himself; God saved you from Himself
    .
    Paul Washer

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    14,178
    Blog Entries
    57
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Was Jesus gifted by the holy spirit or were these powers of his own?

    Are the fruit and gifts of the holy spirit his or are they from Jesus?

    We know that Jesus was a gift from God.
    I believe Jesus was born fully man, which means that the power Jesus displayed was given to Him by God the Father, just as any spiritual power we have is given to us by God.

    We do not have it innately.

    Esau raised a boy from the dead also.

    The miracles were a sign that God sent Jesus. The cross was for our redemption and salvation.
    Dan58 and followjesus like this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member followjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2016
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,726
    Rep Power
    54

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blain View Post
    Hmm... Well this is just my thoughts here but Jesus was an example of a true Christian correct? It would make sense if he purposely became a vessel for the holy spirit and father to work through not having any power of his own yet having authority as we who the spirit lives in have no power of ourselves yet have the authority in Christ.

    Maybe he does have power just as father and the holy spirit does or maybe not, maybe he purposely gave up his own power to set an example if so that just amazes me even more about his humbleness
    amen your comment reminds me of the third day song " all the heavens" about Jesus leaving His glory in the heavens, coming and doing what He did as a man in submission to God, n order to Live inside our Hearts !
    pottersclay likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,469
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Jesus was born fully man, but is also fully God. He's the God-man. The only One who can truthfully make this claim.
    Blain, ForthAngel and pottersclay like this.
    I have given God countless reasons not to love me. None of them has been strong enough to change Him.
    Paul Washer

    Instead of telling them God has a wonderful plan for their life - tell them who God is.
    Paul Washer

    God saved you for Himself; God saved you by Himself; God saved you from Himself
    .
    Paul Washer

  20. #20
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    12,940
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    159

    Default Re: Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

    Quote Originally Posted by followjesus View Post
    amen your comment reminds me of the third day song " all the heavens" about Jesus leaving His glory in the heavens, coming and doing what He did as a man in submission to God, n order to Live inside our Hearts !
    Ty my friend I can't say for sure this is how it went down but it makes sense that he would do this, I mean people could say to him how he doesn't understand the hardships humans have but they would be wrong because he went through all the things we go through he knows what it's like to be human and he never used his power for himself either
    pottersclay likes this.
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    The strongest among you may not wear a crown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Interesting Thought
    By dcontroversal in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2014, 07:51 PM
  2. An Interesting Thought
    By JaumeJ in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 8th, 2013, 04:41 AM
  3. An interesting thought
    By adekruif in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2013, 09:29 PM
  4. Discuss
    By destiny in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 9th, 2012, 03:17 AM
  5. What we discuss
    By charisenexcelcis in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 30th, 2009, 07:29 AM