Page 77 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1617
Like Tree1130Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

  1. #1521
    Senior Member trofimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2015
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,846
    Rep Power
    84

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredoheaven View Post
    Here link below is the history of candles:
    The History of Candles | NCA
    Candles facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Candles
    "One of the earliest forms of portable illumination, candles have served vital functions for humankind throughout history, a fact chronicled through the discovery of candles or candle-like objects in virtually every society. Historians believe the original candle may have been invented by primitive men who dipped dried branches in animal fat, thus producing a slow-burning and reliable source of light. Reliefs belonging to the ancient Egyptians depict the use of candles by writers and philosophers who worked well after sundown. These early candles were most likely developed from tapers that were made of fibrous materials mixed with wax or tallow (the white, nearly tasteless fat of cattle or sheep that was also used to make soap, margarine, and lubricants). As far back as 3000 b.c., dish-shaped candles were used on the island of Crete."

    Yet the contention is not about the "candles" but "candlestick". For the record many Bible versions has translated it as ”candlestick” so it is not a mistake of the KJV, I think but still figuring this candle stick is all about. Thanks.
    There is a reason why every other translation (you can check on biblehub.com) uses lamp instead of "candle". Jews did not use candles.
    notbythesword and Dino246 like this.
    Let the brotherly love stay * Láska bratrská ať zůstává

  2. #1522
    Senior Member notbythesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2015
    Age
    37
    Posts
    299
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by trofimus View Post
    There is a reason why every other translation (you can check on biblehub.com) uses lamp instead of "candle". Jews did not use candles.
    Exodus 25:31 is talking about a “menorah”, not a candlestick. Simply search for a menorah in an image search and you can see what it is. Even within context, it would make no sense to make a “candlestick” of pure gold, rather than a lampstand. KJV has this wrong, plain and simple.
    Dino246 likes this.

  3. #1523
    Senior Member notbythesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2015
    Age
    37
    Posts
    299
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?


  4. #1524
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by notbythesword View Post
    Exodus 25:31 is talking about a “menorah”, not a candlestick. Simply search for a menorah in an image search and you can see what it is. Even within context, it would make no sense to make a “candlestick” of pure gold, rather than a lampstand. KJV has this wrong, plain and simple.
    The “candlestick” was not the actual candle itself, but was the stand that was composed of 7 branches, a shaft, knops and bowls in which was placed oil that burned and was referred to as a “lamp”. Obviously we are not referring to “electrical” lamps, but rather the extended meaning of both “lamps” and “candles” which is simply any kind of artificial light.

    "No man, when he hath lighted A CANDLE, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on A CANDLESTICK, that they which enter in may see the light." Luke 8:16
    fredoheaven likes this.

  5. #1525
    Senior Member notbythesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2015
    Age
    37
    Posts
    299
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    The “candlestick” was not the actual candle itself, but was the stand that was composed of 7 branches, a shaft, knops and bowls in which was placed oil that burned and was referred to as a “lamp”. Obviously we are not referring to “electrical” lamps, but rather the extended meaning of both “lamps” and “candles” which is simply any kind of artificial light.

    "No man, when he hath lighted A CANDLE, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on A CANDLESTICK, that they which enter in may see the light." Luke 8:16
    Are you saying that you think that the KJV has it right?

  6. #1526
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    16,853
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    278

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    God certainly knew how the bible was going to be translated into the various major versions, all have been spiritually inspired written and reliable.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  7. #1527
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by notbythesword View Post
    Are you saying that you think that the KJV has it right?
    The KJV is correct.

  8. #1528
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,970
    Rep Power
    115

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredoheaven View Post
    These side notes given as alternate readings were actually rejected words by the KJ Translators, evidently as explain in John Bois Notes.

    God bless
    I'll check that assertion when I have time, but my first impression is that it is simply illogical, for they would have rejected many readings in favour of the ones they chose.


    Quote Originally Posted by fredoheaven View Post
    We don't have many Versions of the KJV. We have only KJV but we have Editions of the KJV.

    God bless
    That is playing with semantics, but I'll play along to show how silly it is... which is the inspired "edition" of the KJV?


    Quote Originally Posted by fredoheaven View Post
    ... Yet the contention is not about the "candles" but "candlestick". For the record many Bible versions has translated it as ”candlestick” so it is not a mistake of the KJV, I think but still figuring this candle stick is all about. Thanks.
    On the one hand, you claim that the KJV has everything else correct and other versions are incorrect, now you are claiming that because other versions say "candlestick" that the KJV is therefore correct? That is poor logic.

  9. #1529
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,970
    Rep Power
    115

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredoheaven View Post
    I bet, I have to disagree with these findings, the knowledge, tools and sources which are available today are not far better.
    Perhaps you should have clarified what I meant by "far better and more numerous" before attempting to refute it. There were perhaps dozens of manuscript copies available in the early 1600's. Now there are over 5500... far more numerous.

    Most of those manuscripts have been made available in digital form and are available to both scholars and the public... far better.

    The advent of personal computers and software now allows comparison of multiple versions, including manuscripts, at one's fingertips... far better.

    The availability of language tools, including lexicons, concordances, multiple translations in multiple languages, commentaries
    and the like, all enhance our ability to understand the text... far better AND more numerous

    The Granville Sharp construction was unknown in 1611. It was identified several centuries later... far better.

  10. #1530
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,970
    Rep Power
    115

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    The “candlestick” was not the actual candle itself, but was the stand that was composed of 7 branches, a shaft, knops and bowls in which was placed oil that burned and was referred to as a “lamp”. Obviously we are not referring to “electrical” lamps, but rather the extended meaning of both “lamps” and “candles” which is simply any kind of artificial light.

    "No man, when he hath lighted A CANDLE, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but setteth it on A CANDLESTICK, that they which enter in may see the light." Luke 8:16
    "Candlestick" is the wrong word. It's called an "anachronism" on the part of the KJV translators... taking a current term and applying it to a situation which is analogous but distinct. If the Levites didn't use candles, they didn't call the stand a candlestick; that term would have little or no meaning to them. It's a lampstand... a stand, for oil-fed lamps. Even today the two terms are distinct.

  11. #1531
    Senior Member KJV1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    What's the difference between a lamp stand and a candlestick?
    Psalm 12:6 KJV
    The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

  12. #1532
    Senior Member fredoheaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2015
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,596
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino246 View Post
    I'll check that assertion when I have time, but my first impression is that it is simply illogical, for they would have rejected many readings in favour of the ones they chose.




    That is playing with semantics, but I'll play along to show how silly it is... which is the inspired "edition" of the KJV?



    On the one hand, you claim that the KJV has everything else correct and other versions are incorrect, now you are claiming that because other versions say "candlestick" that the KJV is therefore correct? That is poor logic.
    Is this logic that wishes to correct God's word? A logic that put words in other's mouth? In this instance of the 'candlestick' where I didn't claim the KJV alone has all the correct translation and all others are incorrect. If I am going to play the same game/ argument your buddies used in here maybe you are arguing into some ignorance... sorry to tell you this because other versions has it. The Living Bible has it. The Upadated Bible Version has it. The Complete Jewish Bible has it. The Modern English Version has it and many more.

  13. #1533
    Senior Member fredoheaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2015
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,596
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by notbythesword View Post
    Exodus 25:31 is talking about a “menorah”, not a candlestick. Simply search for a menorah in an image search and you can see what it is. Even within context, it would make no sense to make a “candlestick” of pure gold, rather than a lampstand. KJV has this wrong, plain and simple.
    Would you further explain the text why "menorah" is not a "candlestick"? and this is the error of the KJV?

    Thanks

  14. #1534
    Senior Member fredoheaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2015
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,596
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by trofimus View Post
    There is a reason why every other translation (you can check on biblehub.com) uses lamp instead of "candle". Jews did not use candles.
    Yea, but I am talking about the candlesticks not really the candle. Just because the Jews did not use candles, that it is imposible for the Holy Spirit to used it in the Bible. Are we not limiting God? What is a lamp anyway? Courd you further discussed this one. I have submitted my report. It's your turn...

    Thanks

  15. #1535
    Senior Member fredoheaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2015
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,596
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino246 View Post
    Perhaps you should have clarified what I meant by "far better and more numerous" before attempting to refute it. There were perhaps dozens of manuscript copies available in the early 1600's. Now there are over 5500... far more numerous.

    Most of those manuscripts have been made available in digital form and are available to both scholars and the public... far better.

    The advent of personal computers and software now allows comparison of multiple versions, including manuscripts, at one's fingertips... far better.

    The availability of language tools, including lexicons, concordances, multiple translations in multiple languages, commentaries
    and the like, all enhance our ability to understand the text... far better AND more numerous

    The Granville Sharp construction was unknown in 1611. It was identified several centuries later... far better.
    They are far better for what?

    I have already have God's Word, what still I need? We already have numerous Bible versions which are too confusing...then you are saying far better to what? to alter, change, emend, modify?

    Thanks

  16. #1536
    Senior Member slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,347
    Blog Entries
    53
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredoheaven View Post
    We don't have many Versions of the KJV. We have only KJV but we have Editions of the KJV.

    God bless
    Version: a particular form of something differing in certain respects from an earlier form of the same type of thing. Editions are renderings; they are versions. God Bless.

  17. #1537
    Senior Member slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,347
    Blog Entries
    53
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredoheaven View Post
    I didn't claim the KJV alone has all the correct translation and all others are incorrect.
    This is my only point here...so we agree.

  18. #1538
    Senior Member slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,347
    Blog Entries
    53
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by notbythesword View Post
    Exodus 25:31 is talking about a “menorah”, not a candlestick. Simply search for a menorah in an image search and you can see what it is. Even within context, it would make no sense to make a “candlestick” of pure gold, rather than a lampstand. KJV has this wrong, plain and simple.
    The golden candlestick, like the table of shewbread, was represented on the Arch of Titus. It was composed of a straight stem, rising perpendicularly from a base, and having on either side of it three curved arms or branches, all of them in the same plane, and all rising to the same level. The stem and arms were ornamented with representations of almond flowers, pomegranates, and lily blossoms, repeated as there was room for them, the top ornament being in every case a lily blossom, which held a hemispherical (lamp).

    The form and ornamentation of the base are unknown, since the representation of the base upon the Arch of Titus is manifestly from some Roman work which had superseded the original pedestal. The special object of the candlestick seems to have been to give light by night. Its lamps were to be lighted at even (Exodus 30:8
    ) by the High Priest, and were to burn from evening to morning (Exodus 27:21), when they were to be dressed, or trimmed (Exodus 30:7), and “extinguished." The Holy Place had sufficient light during the day from the entrance, where the curtain would let the light through, if indeed it were not also partially looped up.

  19. #1539
    Senior Member slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 20th, 2015
    Age
    55
    Posts
    3,347
    Blog Entries
    53
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by KJV1611 View Post
    What's the difference between a lamp stand and a candlestick?
    What are the similarities can also be the question!

  20. #1540
    Senior Member KJV1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    What are the similarities can also be the question!
    I think they are two words for the same thing a holder that holds a light source. I'm trying to understand why God had the KJV translators use both lamp and candle.
    Last edited by KJV1611; June 20th, 2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Psalm 12:6 KJV
    The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

Page 77 of 81 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why the King James Bible
    By Andrew1 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: June 27th, 2015, 08:25 PM
  2. What The King James Only Cults Don't Know About Their Bible
    By Praus in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2013, 06:06 PM
  3. Catholics and the King James Bible
    By brandplucked in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 31st, 2013, 02:58 PM
  4. The Agnostic and the King James Bible
    By KayCee in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
  5. How The King James Bible Came To Be Made
    By Baruch in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 5th, 2009, 04:51 AM