Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1617
Like Tree1130Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2016
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    2

    Default King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    I watched a video recently that changed my mind on the type of Bible I should keep as the over-riding bible authority. I have an NIV, ESV, Gideon's new testament, NKJV, KJV and am picking up a n Amplified Holy Bible tomorrow. I will probably use one of the most accurate to the King James, for quick reading, but highlight thereof area's and swap back to KJV. But will try to stick with the old English in the KJV until I get confused.

    I watched Pastor Steven L Anderson's, New World Order movie. Just under 2 hours long, very interesting. Puts potentially the NIV, ESV, NKJV and more to shame, depending on version's and errors of course.

    So, (1) Have you watched the video? If not,
    watch it first, please.

    (1b) Did the video change your mind?

    (2) What Bible do you support?

    (3) Why do you support it?

    At the bottom of your post, please put final Bible choice in caps, alone, so it can be seen as a tally. Thanks.

    KJV
    followjesus and Gabriel2020 like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    91

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dai3234 View Post
    I watched a video recently that changed my mind on the type of Bible I should keep as the over-riding bible authority. I have an NIV, ESV, Gideon's new testament, NKJV, KJV and am picking up a n Amplified Holy Bible tomorrow. I will probably use one of the most accurate to the King James, for quick reading, but highlight thereof area's and swap back to KJV. But will try to stick with the old English in the KJV until I get confused.

    I watched Pastor Steven L Anderson's, New World Order movie. Just under 2 hours long, very interesting. Puts potentially the NIV, ESV, NKJV and more to shame, depending on version's and errors of course.

    So, (1) Have you watched the video? If not,
    watch it first, please.

    (1b) Did the video change your mind?

    (2) What Bible do you support?

    (3) Why do you support it?

    At the bottom of your post, please put final Bible choice in caps, alone, so it can be seen as a tally. Thanks.

    KJV
    No, I don't listen to the drivel of Anderson. The KJV isn't the standard text - manuscripts are. Modern versions didn't take away verses, the KJV added some. The versions you mentioned are not in error no matter what Anderson said.

    I support many different versions and therefore employ several.

    If you want to get the truth and error on Anderson Youtube his talk with Dr. James White. Anderson has no ground to stand on and White showed any honest person as to why in their sit down dialog. Also, read The King James Only Controversy by Dr. James White for an honest perspective on the King James Version.

    ESV
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  3. #3
    Senior Member KJV1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dai3234 View Post
    I watched a video recently that changed my mind on the type of Bible I should keep as the over-riding bible authority. I have an NIV, ESV, Gideon's new testament, NKJV, KJV and am picking up a n Amplified Holy Bible tomorrow. I will probably use one of the most accurate to the King James, for quick reading, but highlight thereof area's and swap back to KJV. But will try to stick with the old English in the KJV until I get confused.

    I watched Pastor Steven L Anderson's, New World Order movie. Just under 2 hours long, very interesting. Puts potentially the NIV, ESV, NKJV and more to shame, depending on version's and errors of course.

    So, (1) Have you watched the video? If not,
    watch it first, please.

    (1b) Did the video change your mind?

    (2) What Bible do you support?

    (3) Why do you support it?

    At the bottom of your post, please put final Bible choice in caps, alone, so it can be seen as a tally. Thanks.

    KJV
    Stick with the KJV but dump Anderson, KJV is all you need.
    Jimbone likes this.
    Psalm 12:6 KJV
    The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

  4. #4
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    52

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dai3234 View Post
    I watched a video recently that changed my mind on the type of Bible I should keep as the over-riding bible authority. I have an NIV, ESV, Gideon's new testament, NKJV, KJV and am picking up a n Amplified Holy Bible tomorrow. I will probably use one of the most accurate to the King James, for quick reading, but highlight thereof area's and swap back to KJV. But will try to stick with the old English in the KJV until I get confused.

    I watched Pastor Steven L Anderson's, New World Order movie. Just under 2 hours long, very interesting. Puts potentially the NIV, ESV, NKJV and more to shame, depending on version's and errors of course.

    So, (1) Have you watched the video? If not,
    watch it first, please.

    (1b) Did the video change your mind?

    (2) What Bible do you support?

    (3) Why do you support it?

    At the bottom of your post, please put final Bible choice in caps, alone, so it can be seen as a tally. Thanks.

    KJV
    You lost me with Steven Anderson. That guy's a loon. Watch the 'debate' he had with Dr. James White. Dr. White destroyed his KJVO ideology.
    I have given God countless reasons not to love me. None of them has been strong enough to change Him.
    Paul Washer

    Instead of telling them God has a wonderful plan for their life - tell them who God is.
    Paul Washer

    God saved you for Himself; God saved you by Himself; God saved you from Himself
    .
    Paul Washer

  5. #5
    Senior Member Angela53510's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2011
    Age
    64
    Posts
    8,922
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    267

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    I would never watch a video that supports KJV only.

    The KJV was translated from 7 very late manuscripts, filled with errors. A simple knowledge of Greek results in finding errors in almost every sentence.

    The fact is, the grammar pretends to be word for word, which NO Bible can be, as Greek syntax is radically different than English sentence structure and grammar. The result is that not only does it not follow English well, it doesn't follow the Greek well, either. It has a huge amount of obscure and archaic words. We do not have 2nd person singular, and I won't read a bible that has grammar that I do not understand.

    I just finished 2nd year seminary Greek, and our prof, who is on the translation committees of the ESV and NIV, had nothing good to say about using KJV today. A good translation must be readable in the vernacular. Early Modern English is not the language I speak. I have used NASB, ESV, NIV, and HCSB. I've also read paraphrases like the Message and NLT. I am trying to get the NET Bible with complete commentary notes, as my next. I also have read most of the NT in Greek, ad

    KJV has its historical purposes. Quite simply, you have been duped and brainwashed by this video. Trying reading James White's book on the KJV only controversy. You obviously need to hear the other side of this debate!
    "And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me." 2 Cor. 12:9 NASB

  6. #6
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    52

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    No, I don't listen to the drivel of Anderson. The KJV isn't the standard text - manuscripts are. Modern versions didn't take away verses, the KJV added some. The versions you mentioned are not in error no matter what Anderson said.

    I support many different versions and therefore employ several.

    If you want to get the truth and error on Anderson Youtube his talk with Dr. James White. Anderson has no ground to stand on and White showed any honest person as to why in their sit down dialog. Also, read The King James Only Controversy by Dr. James White for an honest perspective on the King James Version.

    ESV
    NIV


    Or NASB
    I have given God countless reasons not to love me. None of them has been strong enough to change Him.
    Paul Washer

    Instead of telling them God has a wonderful plan for their life - tell them who God is.
    Paul Washer

    God saved you for Himself; God saved you by Himself; God saved you from Himself
    .
    Paul Washer

  7. #7
    Senior Member KJV1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    You lost me with Steven Anderson. That guy's a loon. Watch the 'debate' he had with Dr. James White. Dr. White destroyed his KJVO ideology.
    If he lost a debate with James White he must be a moron lol.
    John146 and UnderGrace like this.
    Psalm 12:6 KJV
    The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

  8. #8
    Senior Member SovereignGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,393
    Rep Power
    52

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by KJV1611 View Post
    If he lost a debate with James White he must be a moron lol.
    His KJVO has no legs to stand on. I am not being offensive, seeing your username. But the KJV is a version of greek and hebrew manuscripts, just like the other versions. Granted, they all didn't use the same ones.
    I have given God countless reasons not to love me. None of them has been strong enough to change Him.
    Paul Washer

    Instead of telling them God has a wonderful plan for their life - tell them who God is.
    Paul Washer

    God saved you for Himself; God saved you by Himself; God saved you from Himself
    .
    Paul Washer

  9. #9
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    91

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by KJV1611 View Post
    If he lost a debate with James White he must be a moron lol.
    He's a moron for trying to debate someone who is not KJVO hoodwinked. Dr. James Whites biblical acumen is noted as well as his integrity. He nailed the errors of the false KJVO sect in his book and in debates.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  10. #10
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    914
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Here is why I just purchased a New Living Translation today:

    Matthew 10:25

    King James Bible
    It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?


    New Living Translation
    Students are to be like their teacher, and slaves are to be like their master. And since I, the master of the household, have been called the prince of demons, the members of my household will be called by even worse names!


    I was confused by the wording of the KJV, and it is annoying and detracts from my reading experience when I have to run to my computer to ask for clarification.

    Consult a KJV when you want to know what Christ actually said, and if you need help understanding it use updated Gospels. Have two or three or more Bibles.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    There's only two camps:

    1. We have the final authority on what God has said in one translation.

    2. We have no final authority on what God has said, thus man becomes his own final authority through scholarship and "higher" education.

    God has promised to preserve His pure words for all generations. Where are they?

  12. #12
    Senior Member KJV1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    He's a moron for trying to debate someone who is not KJVO hoodwinked. Dr. James Whites biblical acumen is noted as well as his integrity. He nailed the errors of the false KJVO sect in his book and in debates.
    What errors of the KJVO?
    Psalm 12:6 KJV
    The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

  13. #13
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    91

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by KJV1611 View Post
    Stick with the KJV but dump Anderson, KJV is all you need.
    Use many versions not just the KJV. Dump KJV only sectarianism and those who promote it.

    And you don't need just your Bible alone, that is a fallacy. God also equipped the church with teachers, pastors &c to equip the saints so they are also needed which is why they are given.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  14. #14
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    91

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by KJV1611 View Post
    What errors of the KJVO?
    We don't have that much bandwidth.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  15. #15
    Senior Member KJV1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    Here is why I just purchased a New Living Translation today:

    Matthew 10:25

    King James Bible
    It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?


    New Living Translation
    Students are to be like their teacher, and slaves are to be like their master. And since I, the master of the household, have been called the prince of demons, the members of my household will be called by even worse names!


    I was confused by the wording of the KJV, and it is annoying and detracts from my reading experience when I have to run to my computer to ask for clarification.

    Consult a KJV when you want to know what Christ actually said, and if you need help understanding it use updated Gospels. Have two or three or more Bibles.
    This is why I threw away all bibles except the KJV.

    Daniel 3:25King James Version (KJV)

    25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.


    Daniel 3:25New Living Translation (NLT)

    25 “Look!” Nebuchadnezzar shouted. “I see four men, unbound, walking around in the fire unharmed! And the fourth looks like a god[a]!”
    Footnotes:


    1. 3:25 Aramaic like a son of the gods.

    Psalm 12:6 KJV
    The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

  16. #16
    Senior Member KJV1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    We don't have that much bandwidth.

    Ok, just one.
    Psalm 12:6 KJV
    The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

  17. #17
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    91

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by KJV1611 View Post
    Ok, just one.
    No thanks, I'll pass, been there, done that with the kjvo cultists in the past. The brainwashing of that camp is nearly impenetrable. Carry on, get in your last word.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  18. #18
    Senior Member followjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2016
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,321
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    i can relate to what you have said in the op, the video didnt change my mind. already the kjv is my own authority when translation differences occur, i do as you have said i read niv alot, but Kjv alot more. i used to get confused by the old english so a long time i stuck with niv, i have an ogriginal niv that i Love , but the Kjv just speaks a better more clear word to me, though the niv spoke alot for many years much clearer. I think the important thing is that were seeking the word of God and trusting the spirit to keep us in line with truth...AND always PRAYER

    KJV

  19. #19
    Senior Member KJV1611's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    7,967
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    44

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    No thanks, I'll pass, been there, done that with the kjvo cultists in the past. The brainwashing of that camp is nearly impenetrable. Carry on, get in your last word.
    I'm just here to defend the KJV, my word doesn't matter and I'm not trying to win an argument or get the last word in.
    followjesus likes this.
    Psalm 12:6 KJV
    The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

  20. #20
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    914
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: King James Bible ONLY? Or NOT?

    Quote Originally Posted by KJV1611 View Post
    This is why I threw away all bibles except the KJV.

    Daniel 3:25King James Version (KJV)

    25 He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.


    Daniel 3:25New Living Translation (NLT)

    25 “Look!” Nebuchadnezzar shouted. “I see four men, unbound, walking around in the fire unharmed! And the fourth looks like a god[a]!”
    Footnotes:


    1. 3:25 Aramaic like a son of the gods.

    I would go to the landfill and try to retrieve them. Be careful not to step on a jagged object and have hurt.

Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why the King James Bible
    By Andrew1 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: June 27th, 2015, 08:25 PM
  2. What The King James Only Cults Don't Know About Their Bible
    By Praus in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 2nd, 2013, 06:06 PM
  3. Catholics and the King James Bible
    By brandplucked in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 31st, 2013, 02:58 PM
  4. The Agnostic and the King James Bible
    By KayCee in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
  5. How The King James Bible Came To Be Made
    By Baruch in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 5th, 2009, 04:51 AM