Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 686
Like Tree908Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

  1. #1
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15,177
    Rep Power
    230

    Default This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    This is the dividing line for our entire lives.

    Skip all the "iron sharpens iron." Skip all the "I have to teach them." Skip eschatology, works v. grace, homosexuality, righteousness, tithing, Sabbath, "I've got to fix them in the name of the Lord." Skip all the excuses endlessly parading on this forum to talk about God without worrying about listening to God. This is the dividing line!

    From Spurgeon.

    “And God divided the light from the darkness.”
    Gen 1:4

    A believer has two principles at work within him. In his natural estate he was subject to one principle only, which was darkness; now light has entered, and the two principles disagree. Mark the apostle Paul’s words in the seventh chapter of Romans: “I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: but I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin, which is in my members.” How is this state of things occasioned? “The Lord divided the light from the darkness.” Darkness, by itself, is quiet and undisturbed, but when the Lord sends in light, there is a conflict, for the one is in opposition to the other: a conflict which will never cease till the believer is altogether light in the Lord. If there be a division within the individual Christian, there is certain to be a division without. So soon as the Lord gives to any man light, he proceeds to separate himself from the darkness around; he secedes from a merely worldly religion of outward ceremonial, for nothing short of the gospel of Christ will now satisfy him, and he withdraws himself from worldly society and frivolous amusements, and seeks the company of the saints, for “We know we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren.” The light gathers to itself, and the darkness to itself. What God has divided, let us never try to unite, but as Christ went without the camp, bearing his reproach, so let us come out from the ungodly, and be a peculiar people. He was holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners; and, as he was, so we are to be nonconformists to the world, dissenting from all sin, and distinguished from the rest of mankind by our likeness to our Master.


    So, what are we going to do about that dividing line? Because it comes in two ways.
    1. Is the Light winning the battle for my life or am I letting the darkness lead?
    2. Am I trusting the Light in another person, or am I following the darkness of the other?

    Just because we say we're Christian, doesn't mean we are. Just because we argue some point about the Bible does not mean we're following the Light. We are capable of following the darkness even still.

    WWJD? Did Jesus spend his time arguing grace versus works? Did he spend his time arguing over how the world would end? Did he spend his time arguing the question of homosexuality? Did he spend his time arguing creationism over evolution? Did he spend his time arguing reformed versus Wesleyism? Did he spend his time arguing Phariseeism? What does Jesus do?

    He had one focus! The Light and the glory of that Light!

    So how about giving up on arguing anything and come to the Light? Within our members. And within the members!

    Even if you are on the winning side of your argument, but there is no light, it is merely the brass ring on a merry-go-round! It's never time to seek the brass ring. It is always time to seek the Light!

    If you're here for frivolous amusement, get out! This is a place to learn about the Light and enjoy the Light with others seeking the Light. Not a place to foster the darkness!

    This is a blackout-free zone! And the only way that happens is when we fill it with the Light!
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,509
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Good word! I must confess though that I thought this thread would be about James White's program.
    Desdichado, notmyown and Laish like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    50
    Posts
    22,330
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    188

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Yeah I read it....more bias opinion.....how about.....

    Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

    ἐπαγωνίζεσθαι-->1864 epagōnízomai (from 1909 /epí, "focused on" and 73 /agṓn, "a contest, competition") – properly, to contend (literally, "struggle upon, appropriately"), i.e. with skill and commitment in opposing whatever is not of faith (God's persuasion).

    WWJD...HAVE us earnestly CONTEND for the system of teaching lock, stock and barrel.......that is exactly what he would have us do......and like the Apostles....to the death!

    How about You?
    Last edited by dcontroversal; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:02 AM.
    zone, Enow, UnderGrace and 1 others like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,113
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    I think it's good to discuss "theology" especially eschatology, otherwise I'd still be a blasted, deluded futurist..
    zone and J7 like this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15,177
    Rep Power
    230

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by Dino246 View Post
    Good word! I must confess though that I thought this thread would be about James White's program.
    Who is James White and how did he know the BDF needed a system?
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  6. #6
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15,177
    Rep Power
    230

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    Yeah I read it....more bias opinion.....how about.....

    Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

    ἐπαγωνίζεσθαι-->1864 epagōnízomai (from 1909 /epí, "focused on" and 73 /agṓn, "a contest, competition") – properly, to contend (literally, "struggle upon, appropriately"), i.e. with skill and commitment in opposing whatever is not of faith (God's persuasion).

    WWJD...HAVE us earnestly CONTEND for the system of teaching lock, stock and barrel.......that is exactly what he would have us do......and like the Apostles....to the death!

    How about You?
    How about me? I won't be following your darkness!
    Stephen63 likes this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  7. #7
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15,177
    Rep Power
    230

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    I think it's good to discuss "theology" especially eschatology, otherwise I'd still be a blasted, deluded futurist..
    How does eschatology bring you or us to the Light?
    Laish likes this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,664
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    40

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    How about we do what Paul exhorted THE BODY of believers to do

  9. #9
    Senior Member Muzungu256's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    without all the drama and arguing this forum would be dull and boring............... this is more entertaining

  10. #10


    Zen
    Zen is offline
    Senior Member Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2015
    Age
    33
    Posts
    631
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    If you're here for frivolous amusement, get out!
    I agree. But I'd also add:

    If you're here to treat Christians like garbage because you don't agree with them, you get out too.
    (✿◠‿◠) Click here to learn about your authority (◡‿◡✿)

     ∧_∧
     ( ´・ω・)
     ( つ旦O  ∫
     と_)_) 旦

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2016
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,200
    Rep Power
    63

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by Muzungu256 View Post
    without all the drama and arguing this forum would be dull and boring............... this is more entertaining
    Really?

    How would anyone know whether it would be "dull and boring"? Has there ever been a time when there was nothing but love, praise, worship toward God, where all were likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus and where all glorified God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ with one mind and one mouth (Rom 15:5,6)?

    When we live on new heaven / new earth, do you think it'll be "dull and boring".

  12. #12
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,113
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    How does eschatology bring you or us to the Light?
    In a way it can bring people who ain't close to the light to the light by sorting out all the bogus doctrines promoted by "futurism" and actually make sense of the bible rather than an unbelievable confused mess.

    God is not the author of confusion.
    Seekingfamily likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2011
    Age
    59
    Posts
    8,867
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    This is the dividing line for our entire lives.

    Skip all the "iron sharpens iron." Skip all the "I have to teach them." Skip eschatology, works v. grace, homosexuality, righteousness, tithing, Sabbath, "I've got to fix them in the name of the Lord." Skip all the excuses endlessly parading on this forum to talk about God without worrying about listening to God. This is the dividing line!

    From Spurgeon.

    “And God divided the light from the darkness.”
    Gen 1:4

    A believer has two principles at work within him. In his natural estate he was subject to one principle only, which was darkness; now light has entered, and the two principles disagree. Mark the apostle Paul’s words in the seventh chapter of Romans: “I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: but I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin, which is in my members.” How is this state of things occasioned? “The Lord divided the light from the darkness.” Darkness, by itself, is quiet and undisturbed, but when the Lord sends in light, there is a conflict, for the one is in opposition to the other: a conflict which will never cease till the believer is altogether light in the Lord. If there be a division within the individual Christian, there is certain to be a division without. So soon as the Lord gives to any man light, he proceeds to separate himself from the darkness around; he secedes from a merely worldly religion of outward ceremonial, for nothing short of the gospel of Christ will now satisfy him, and he withdraws himself from worldly society and frivolous amusements, and seeks the company of the saints, for “We know we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren.” The light gathers to itself, and the darkness to itself. What God has divided, let us never try to unite, but as Christ went without the camp, bearing his reproach, so let us come out from the ungodly, and be a peculiar people. He was holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners; and, as he was, so we are to be nonconformists to the world, dissenting from all sin, and distinguished from the rest of mankind by our likeness to our Master.


    So, what are we going to do about that dividing line? Because it comes in two ways.
    1. Is the Light winning the battle for my life or am I letting the darkness lead?
    2. Am I trusting the Light in another person, or am I following the darkness of the other?

    Just because we say we're Christian, doesn't mean we are. Just because we argue some point about the Bible does not mean we're following the Light. We are capable of following the darkness even still.

    WWJD? Did Jesus spend his time arguing grace versus works? Did he spend his time arguing over how the world would end? Did he spend his time arguing the question of homosexuality? Did he spend his time arguing creationism over evolution? Did he spend his time arguing reformed versus Wesleyism? Did he spend his time arguing Phariseeism? What does Jesus do?

    He had one focus! The Light and the glory of that Light!

    So how about giving up on arguing anything and come to the Light? Within our members. And within the members!

    Even if you are on the winning side of your argument, but there is no light, it is merely the brass ring on a merry-go-round! It's never time to seek the brass ring. It is always time to seek the Light!

    If you're here for frivolous amusement, get out! This is a place to learn about the Light and enjoy the Light with others seeking the Light. Not a place to foster the darkness!

    This is a blackout-free zone! And the only way that happens is when we fill it with the Light!
    Thanks depleted.Excellent.
    +++
    Ephesians 4:11-14
    King James Version

    11.)And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

    12.)For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

    13.)Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

    14.)That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
    IF you do not realize that the rebirth took place in your spirit then it can be confusing to your mind worshiping GOD standing in front of a physical mirror.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,664
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    40

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by seed_time_harvest View Post
    Thanks depleted.Excellent.
    +++
    Ephesians 4:11-14
    King James Version

    11.)And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

    12.)For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

    13.)Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

    14.)That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
    That's EXACTLY what I was referring to

    even John said to bring all our works into the light to see what is wrought in GOD
    seed_time_harvest likes this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Muzungu256's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    443
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by reneweddaybyday View Post

    Really?

    How would anyone know whether it would be "dull and boring"? Has there ever been a time when there was nothing but love, praise, worship toward God, where all were likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus and where all glorified God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ with one mind and one mouth (Rom 15:5,6)?

    When we live on new heaven / new earth, do you think it'll be "dull and boring".
    nah its never been like that even the disciples argued among themselves in the bible............. barbabas and paul if i remember right also in acts 15.......... but i dont think it will be boring in the new heaven and earth because we will have spiritual bodies so we dont have any carnality like fighting and fussin anymore u see.....

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 9th, 2011
    Age
    59
    Posts
    8,867
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by miknik5 View Post
    That's EXACTLY what I was referring to

    even John said to bring all our works into the light to see what is wrought in GOD
    The Bible Discussion Forum IS a place for discussing but the flesh can be proud,I remember where apostle Paul said,by the mercies of GOD present yourself a living sacrifice ,which Is reasonable and don't be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of the mind so that you might prove that good and acceptable and perfect will of GOD.
    +++
    The only thing Is when It comes to a living sacrifice,the flesh keeps crawling off the alter.
    PennEd, Depleted, notmyown and 2 others like this.
    IF you do not realize that the rebirth took place in your spirit then it can be confusing to your mind worshiping GOD standing in front of a physical mirror.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15,177
    Rep Power
    230

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by miknik5 View Post
    How about we do what Paul exhorted THE BODY of believers to do
    For what purpose? If it's just because, it's useless. If it's for the Light, yup!
    notmyown and J7 like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  18. #18
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    15,177
    Rep Power
    230

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I agree. But I'd also add:

    If you're here to treat Christians like garbage because you don't agree with them, you get out too.
    Well, that one is covered under "ban."
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  19. #19
    Senior Member sevenseas's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,310
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    I got what you are writing. what I don't get, is why some think this is not true or appropraite.

    I mean honestly, it's like some WANT to be offended

    this would make a good discussion if those who lack comprehension would just sit the hay back and maybe learn something

    maybe understanding that scripture speaks for itself and God is really not as worried about being misunderstood as some seem to think He is would help.

    I have my aluminum cap on so it's all good

  20. #20
    Senior Member sevenseas's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2017
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,310
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: This is the Dividing Line on BDF

    one of my all time favorite passages is


    John 1King James Version (KJV)

    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    2 The same was in the beginning with God.
    3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
    5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

    I never get tired of reading that. and thinking about it. it's so beautiful and speaks to what you are saying

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rightly Dividing between the Old and the New
    By heavenly_bound in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 12th, 2016, 10:59 PM
  2. Sola Scriptura: The Dividing Line.
    By Scotth1960 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 30th, 2011, 02:23 PM