Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 107
Like Tree129Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Defining Modesty

  1. #41
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,578
    Rep Power
    104

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonconformist View Post
    Hey!

    I wanted to interpret the scripture's hard standard apart from culture *first,* and then move on to culture if relevant.

    However, if that's an incorrect way to do this - I'm listening. Please continue.

    Chiefly, I want to avoid this reasoning: "Our current culture says it's wrong (argument from majority), therefore it's wrong for all cultures."
    I'm not sure of the validity of that statement, either.... there are many places in Europe where women go topless on beaches with no social stigma at all.

    I have no problem with that.... I think that nudity, for nudity's sake, is highly overrated.

    Much like the "streaking" fad back in the 70's.... there was nothing "sexual" about that nudity at all.. it was more of a statement of rebellion than anything else.
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  2. #42
    Senior Member NoNameMcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,207
    Rep Power
    92

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    I'm not sure of the validity of that statement, either.... there are many places in Europe where women go topless on beaches with no social stigma at all.

    I have no problem with that.... I think that nudity, for nudity's sake, is highly overrated.

    Much like the "streaking" fad back in the 70's.... there was nothing "sexual" about that nudity at all.. it was more of a statement of rebellion than anything else.
    the intent of the .... person exposing themself has nothing to do with how shameless they are behaving
    Stephen63 and Desertsrose like this.

  3. #43
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,578
    Rep Power
    104

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMcgee View Post
    the intent of the .... person exposing themself has nothing to do with how shameless they are behaving
    I'm not sure I fully agree with that.... can you expand that thought a little bit?
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  4. #44
    Senior Member NoNameMcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,207
    Rep Power
    92

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    I'm not sure I fully agree with that.... can you expand that thought a little bit?
    once you reach a certain age

    ....

    the same age you are accountable for your actions


    you should be able to understand being naked (or overly exposed) in certain settings is wrong (public.. or exposing too much of yourself to anyone aside from your wife or husband unless your handicapped and have no choice but to accept help bathing and such)

  5. #45
    Senior Member NoNameMcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,207
    Rep Power
    92

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    i mean accidents happen

    you can rip your pants
    lol


    but if you didnt cover up

    you dont think thats shameless?


    or just because its not "sexual" its fine to let it show?


    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    I'm not sure I fully agree with that.... can you expand that thought a little bit?

  6. #46
    Senior Member kaylagrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2014
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRose View Post
    Does that mean a husband and a wife can sinfully lust after one another?
    You know Ive pondered that question before and I really dont have an answer. I think they were more ashamed in front of God than each other. They suddenly knew they were unclothed. I mean, there have been instances of rape between married couples,so does that mean lust played a factor? Im not sure. Interesting question though.
    Desertsrose likes this.

  7. #47
    Senior Member kaylagrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2014
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by NoNameMcgee View Post
    not to be rude....


    but i dont consider yoga pants "modest"

    i mean i dont know how loose yours are

    but those are typically "skin tight"



    (not justifying that perverts actions)


    A loaded issue there. I dont believe in saying a woman "asked for it" with what they were wearing. A man is responsible for his own actions. On the other hand,for a woman to dress the way I see some dress and not expect to get hit on is just being naive to me. Not talking about Reneweds situation at all,she wasn't in the wrong. Somewhere there has to be a balance. I ask my husband if something is too tight or low cut and he'll let me know if it is.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,748
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by hornetguy View Post
    I'm not sure of the validity of that statement, either.... there are many places in Europe where women go topless on beaches with no social stigma at all.

    I have no problem with that.... I think that nudity, for nudity's sake, is highly overrated.

    Much like the "streaking" fad back in the 70's.... there was nothing "sexual" about that nudity at all.. it was more of a statement of rebellion than anything else.
    When I was a teenager, I couldn't keep my eyes off of women in bikinis, let alone a female streaker.

    While I can't judge other men, I'm sure they looked too.

    A streaker doesn't state his/her intentions, so I can't see how you can say there wasn't anything "sexual" about it.

    Perhaps it was because you saw a male streaker.

  9. #49
    Senior Member NoNameMcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,207
    Rep Power
    92

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by kaylagrl View Post


    A loaded issue there. I dont believe in saying a woman "asked for it" with what they were wearing. A man is responsible for his own actions. On the other hand,for a woman to dress the way I see some dress and not expect to get hit on is just being naive to me. Not talking about Reneweds situation at all,she wasn't in the wrong. Somewhere there has to be a balance. I ask my husband if something is too tight or low cut and he'll let me know if it is.

    i dont see how its loaded

    a lustful man or woman is in the wrong


    and dressing immodest is wrong for either sex


    *edit*
    and of anyone thinks they shouldnt be accountable for their actions

    or tries to play the blame game

    "ohh she asked for it"

    thats messed up
    Last edited by NoNameMcgee; July 17th, 2017 at 10:18 AM.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,748
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by kaylagrl View Post


    A loaded issue there. I dont believe in saying a woman "asked for it" with what they were wearing. A man is responsible for his own actions. On the other hand,for a woman to dress the way I see some dress and not expect to get hit on is just being naive to me. Not talking about Reneweds situation at all,she wasn't in the wrong. Somewhere there has to be a balance. I ask my husband if something is too tight or low cut and he'll let me know if it is.
    Today's public doesn't consider that their dress makes a statement to others.

    From a man's point of view, seeing a woman in yoga pants worn the way the world designates makes a hot statement.

    I cannot hear the intention that, "I can't help it, this is my only pair, & I've gained 15 pounds". There's no possible way a man can read that.

    While a woman's intention wasn't "asking for it", the visual interpretation of their body language/dress may have been screaming it.

    Some might say "I wasn't asking for action, I just wanted to look good". That's really no excuse in a world with no standards.

    We are responsible to protect ourselves from perverts. Our clothes can be our best shield or an advertisement for sex.
    oldethennew likes this.

  11. #51


    gb9
    gb9 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2011
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,989
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    this post is for Stephen , in reference to his post # 33

    you see, the first part of what you said was fine, the thing about this stuff coming from pride is fine, but to say that " immodesty leads to stealing, immorality, lying " is judgemental non-sense. that type stuff is why I would sit outside in the rain under a tree and read my Bible and pray before I would set foot in one of these judgemental, control freak, houses of hypocrites.

  12. #52
    Senior Member kaylagrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2014
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen63 View Post
    Today's public doesn't consider that their dress makes a statement to others.

    From a man's point of view, seeing a woman in yoga pants worn the way the world designates makes a hot statement.

    I cannot hear the intention that, "I can't help it, this is my only pair, & I've gained 15 pounds". There's no possible way a man can read that.

    While a woman's intention wasn't "asking for it", the visual interpretation of their body language/dress may have been screaming it.

    Some might say "I wasn't asking for action, I just wanted to look good". That's really no excuse in a world with no standards.

    We are responsible to protect ourselves from perverts. Our clothes can be our best shield or an advertisement for sex.
    Well the problem with this line of thought is that rape is more about domination and less about what a person is wearing. While I believe in dressing modestly if we carry that all the way to the other extreme we have Islam. Women are covered head to toe in fabric because a man cannot contain his lust and thats just dead wrong. So again,there has to be a balance.

  13. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,748
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by gb9 View Post
    you see, the first part of what you said was fine, the thing about this stuff coming from pride is fine, but to say that " immodesty leads to stealing, immorality, lying " is judgemental non-sense. that type stuff is why I would sit outside in the rain under a tree and read my Bible and pray before I would set foot in one of these judgemental, control freak, houses of hypocrites.

    A person dressed to look like the rich & famous is doing what......?

    If that person is poor, they're not lying in their actions? Maybe deceitful then is the word.

    A minister whose clothes, car, & superior attitude isn't stealing God's glory by looking & acting more important than he is?

    Go watch a televangelist.
    oldethennew likes this.

  14. #54
    Senior Member kaylagrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2014
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by gb9 View Post
    this post is for Stephen , in reference to his post # 33

    you see, the first part of what you said was fine, the thing about this stuff coming from pride is fine, but to say that " immodesty leads to stealing, immorality, lying " is judgemental non-sense. that type stuff is why I would sit outside in the rain under a tree and read my Bible and pray before I would set foot in one of these judgemental, control freak, houses of hypocrites.
    Lets not paint everyone with the same brush. There are wonderful churches out there doing work for the Lord.
    Stephen63 likes this.

  15. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,748
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by kaylagrl View Post
    Well the problem with this line of thought is that rape is more about domination and less about what a person is wearing. While I believe in dressing modestly if we carry that all the way to the other extreme we have Islam. Women are covered head to toe in fabric because a man cannot contain his lust and thats just dead wrong. So again,there has to be a balance.
    I totally agree.

    We can't turn the heads of those 10-20% that might be rapists,true, but we CAN do something about the other 80%.
    kaylagrl likes this.

  16. #56


    gb9
    gb9 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2011
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,989
    Rep Power
    67

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by kaylagrl View Post
    Lets not paint everyone with the same brush. There are wonderful churches out there doing work for the Lord.
    well, when one implies that a person wearing a ac dc t shirt to church would also lie and steal is using a pretty big judgemental brush.

    by the way, I would never go to church in a t-shirt, I believe in "sunday dress up " ( lived in Georgia all my like ), so this is not about that, it is about making ridiculous implications, which was done in post # 33

  17. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,748
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by gb9 View Post
    well, when one implies that a person wearing a ac dc t shirt to church would also lie and steal is using a pretty big judgemental brush.

    by the way, I would never go to church in a t-shirt, I believe in "sunday dress up " ( lived in Georgia all my like ), so this is not about that, it is about making ridiculous implications, which was done in post # 33
    Wonderful! I get to repost!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen63 View Post
    In some churches, they dress like they're meeting the Queen of England. Fit to kill. Overdone. Showing off their success by rollin'up in their big car. Same group will buy their pastor a new Town Car, cause they want their pastor to look good. They think others judge them by how they doll up their pastor. This is immodest, prideful, arrogant, & sinful.

    Then there's the other end of the spectrum. Men showing up in their AC/DC T-shirts, torn jeans, & biker boots, lookin' like a "bad boy". Women wear their yoga pants, & think because their hips are covered up, that's OK.

    That's not modest, either.

    Neither are the old gals who think they're proper in their partially see-thru white blouses showing their underclothes. Eeewww.

    Whatever draws the attention to you draws it away from Christ.

    The trouble with immodesty is it can promote glory stealing from God, & that's really bad. Note the scripture:

    Matt 23:1Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, 2saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; 3therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them. 4“They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger.5“But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. 6“They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, 7and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men. 8“But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9“Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10“Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. 11“But the greatest among you shall be your servant. 12“Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

    Immodesty promotes glory stealing, hypocrisy, lying, lusting & other sins, & pride is at it's core.

    I made the effort to explain that those that dressed to kill, not those on the other end of the spectrum, was stealing God's glory.

    Glory stealing, not a common thief.

  18. #58
    Senior Member kaylagrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2014
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,184
    Rep Power
    200

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by gb9 View Post
    well, when one implies that a person wearing a ac dc t shirt to church would also lie and steal is using a pretty big judgemental brush.

    by the way, I would never go to church in a t-shirt, I believe in "sunday dress up " ( lived in Georgia all my like ), so this is not about that, it is about making ridiculous implications, which was done in post # 33


    I dont think he said stealing, he said glory stealing. Not sure whether I agree with the others.

  19. #59
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2017
    Age
    30
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    Quote Originally Posted by gb9 View Post
    this post is for Stephen , in reference to his post # 33

    you see, the first part of what you said was fine, the thing about this stuff coming from pride is fine, but to say that " immodesty leads to stealing, immorality, lying " is judgemental non-sense. that type stuff is why I would sit outside in the rain under a tree and read my Bible and pray before I would set foot in one of these judgemental, control freak, houses of hypocrites.
    You're disbeying Heb 10:25. Go to church.

    Look at Matt 7 - the majority of his followers would take the broad way that leads to destruction. We can fairly assume the majority of people in church, though they might look clean, will go to hell. Yet there are a few who are true. Go to church and find those few.
    Stephen63 likes this.

  20. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    9,748
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Defining Modesty

    If I dress & act like a rich man, I'm living a lie, acting a part, not being honest at all.

    Pilkington likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Defining Sin
    By ElizabethPeter in forum Christian Teens Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 7th, 2013, 11:03 AM
  2. Defining Virginty
    By Jordache in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: August 7th, 2013, 06:04 PM
  3. Defining sin.
    By ElizabethPeter in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2013, 11:40 AM
  4. Defining message
    By Jordache in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
  5. Defining Unforgiveness
    By babyblue in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 8th, 2009, 05:08 AM