Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 163
Like Tree84Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,489
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Matt10

    37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.


    love father and mother more then Jesus > not save

    love they son and douhgter > not save

    not take they cross and follow Him > go to hell

    this is the requirement for salvation

    1. Love Jesus more than parent and children

    2. Take your cross/suffer for Jesus.

    wont suffer for Jesus, go to hell


  2. #2
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    74
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson123 View Post
    Matt10

    37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.


    love father and mother more then Jesus > not save

    love they son and douhgter > not save

    not take they cross and follow Him > go to hell

    this is the requirement for salvation

    1. Love Jesus more than parent and children

    2. Take your cross/suffer for Jesus.

    wont suffer for Jesus, go to hell
    That thief on the cross who went to Paradise could NOT fulfil these requirements. Think about it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,489
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    That thief on the cross who went to Paradise could NOT fulfil these requirements. Think about it.
    How do you know?

    Jesus set up this requirement He is not Lie

  4. #4
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,418
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson123 View Post
    How do you know?

    Jesus set up this requirement He is not Lie
    Yes, God cannot lie. Perhaps you are misunderstanding Jesus' words here.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  5. #5
    Senior Member trofimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2015
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,134
    Rep Power
    75

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    That thief on the cross who went to Paradise could NOT fulfil these requirements. Think about it.
    Why do you think the thief could not fulfil these requirements? Do you think he loved his mother more than Jesus etc?
    Let the brotherly love stay * Láska bratrská ať zůstává

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,489
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    Yes, God cannot lie. Perhaps you are misunderstanding Jesus' words here.
    Than what is your understanding when Jesus say

    who loves parent or children more than Me, not worthy of Me, is that mean go to heaven?

    WHOever not take the cross not worthy of Me, is that mean whoever not take the cross go to heaven?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,489
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Let me make it clearer.

    it reguire Love God more than parent, children and suffer for Jesus for salvation.

    Narrow is the way to heaven

    Jesus Said; many are shocked, they think save but Jesus Said depart from me.
    Stephen63 and Snoozy like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    74
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson123 View Post
    How do you know?
    How do we know that the repentant thief could fulfil only one requirement for salvation and go to Heaven? Because the Bible tells us so plainly. This criminal who was pardoned died very shortly after making his confession of faith and being accepted by the Savior.

    39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
    40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
    41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
    42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
    43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. (Luke 23:39-43).

    31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
    32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.
    33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: (John 19:21-33).

    Last edited by Nehemiah6; 1 Week Ago at 04:28 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,418
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Jackson123,

    Let me ask what resources are available to you to further your study and understanding.

    Now, a truly converted person will love Christ more than any other.

    Let me put in perspective a bit: We had a woman in church, lost, rejected baptism, public profession of faith after making an initial "decision" for Jesus after hearing the Gospel. Her husband had also just recently died thus she came to church.

    Her husband said he was saved, but lived a life of sin, never went to church, never served the Lord. This according to his children who were godly people. Even his own daughter gave this testimony concerning him and because was she was concerned that he was not ever truly saved given his life. She, the now widow, stated at her decision not to follow Christ, that no matter where her husband was, she wanted to be with him. She rejected Jesus for that.

    Being unconverted, she did not love the Christ of God more than her husband or family. She cannot and could not love Him more than all others unless and until she is converted.

    To love Him more than others, is not something we do to get to heaven, it is something He does in us - we value Him above all others and all else.

    We have to get from what Jesus said to understanding what He means.
    Last edited by preacher4truth; 1 Week Ago at 04:36 PM.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    74
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by trofimus View Post
    Why do you think the thief could not fulfil these requirements? Do you think he loved his mother more than Jesus etc?
    That's a good way to misunderstand the situation. The man died shortly after making his confession of faith. The issue of loving his father, mother, etc. more that Christ did not come up. What did come up was (a) his recognition that Christ should not have been crucified as a criminal, (b) that the superscription on the cross of Christ was literally true, (c) that Jesus was indeed not only the King of the Jews, but had an eternal kingdom into which he sought to gain entrance.

    In short he believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and was saved by grace through faith. Please note that this is exactly how the keeper of the prison in Philippi was saved (Acts 16:30,31):

    30And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

    31
    And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    Magenta and TruthTalk like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,418
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    That's a good way to misunderstand the situation. The man died shortly after making his confession of faith. The issue of loving his father, mother, etc. more that Christ did not come up. What did come up was (a) his recognition that Christ should not have been crucified as a criminal, (b) that the superscription on the cross of Christ was literally true, (c) that Jesus was indeed not only the King of the Jews, but had an eternal kingdom into which he sought to gain entrance.
    Hmmmm...in other words he was regenerated and saw the truth of Christ prior to professing his faith in Him. Interesting, he could not see the kingdom of God a moment before, but all of a sudden could and made his profession. Yep, unless one is born from above he cannot see the kingdom of God - John 3.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  12. #12
    Senior Member PrynceNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 2016
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,143
    Rep Power
    54

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Yes that is true one cannot love their family more than the Lord
    Romans 10:13 - For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    Acts 3:19 - Repent therefore and turn to God, so that your sins may be blotted out, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.
    Ephesians 6:11 - Put on the whole armor of God, so that you can stand firm against the schemes of the devil.

  13. #13
    Senior Member trofimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2015
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,134
    Rep Power
    75

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    That's a good way to misunderstand the situation. The man died shortly after making his confession of faith. The issue of loving his father, mother, etc. more that Christ did not come up. What did come up was (a) his recognition that Christ should not have been crucified as a criminal, (b) that the superscription on the cross of Christ was literally true, (c) that Jesus was indeed not only the King of the Jews, but had an eternal kingdom into which he sought to gain entrance.

    In short he believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and was saved by grace through faith. Please note that this is exactly how the keeper of the prison in Philippi was saved (Acts 16:30,31):

    30And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

    31
    And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    I think noone is really saved when he does not consider Jesus worthier than anything else in his life. Even the thief on the cross had to realize that to enter the paradise.
    Let the brotherly love stay * Láska bratrská ať zůstává

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2012
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,915
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson123 View Post
    Matt10

    37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.


    love father and mother more then Jesus > not save

    love they son and douhgter > not save

    not take they cross and follow Him > go to hell

    this is the requirement for salvation

    1. Love Jesus more than parent and children

    2. Take your cross/suffer for Jesus.

    wont suffer for Jesus, go to hell

    Your quoted scripture is about being worthy; not about salvation. It is about being received by Him at the pre trib rapture event than anything else. Let's go to Luke 14th chapter to see more information for how Jesus was meaning this for us to apply.

    Luke 14:
    15 And when one of them that sat at meat with him heard these things, he said unto him, Blessed is he that shall eat bread in the kingdom of God. 16 Then said he unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many: 17 And sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready. 18 And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. 19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. 20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. 21 So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. 22 And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. 23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. 24 For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper.

    See that? All of these people were invited to come but when the time came, each had a different excuse for not attending such as for one of the cares of this life or for even a loved one, a new wife.

    Then Luke continued on by writing about how Jesus expounded on that parable on the cost of discipleship as in the cost of leaving the cares of this life & loved ones behind in order to attend the Marriage Supper at the pre trib rapture event.

    Luke 14:
    25 And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, 26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. 28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? 29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. 31Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? 32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. 33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. 34 Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? 35 It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

    So the cost of discipleship is not about how he lives his life down here, but how he must be willing to leave the cares of this life and his loved ones behind when the Bridegroom comes.

    So it is possible for a saved believer to love his life on earth to not want to leave it when the Bridegroom comes.

    Luke 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. 34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. 35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.




    Luke 17:28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; 29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. 30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed. 31 In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.32 Remember Lot's wife. 33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.

    So that is how you should apply Matthew 10:37-38 in context to what Jesus is warning believers to be ready for...not just for abiding in Him as His disciples, but being willing to leave when He comes.



  15. #15
    Senior Member Billyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2014
    Age
    75
    Posts
    2,658
    Rep Power
    89

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Jesus is telling us in these verses that you're set apart from the rest of your world. Whereas you once were a member of an earthly family, now you are a member of His family. He is telling us that we will follow Him regardless of what our family believes, we are to trust only in him. He is telling us that we will not love our families less, but we will love Him more than we have ever loved anyone else.
    2 Peter 1:5 Because you have these blessings, do all you can to add to your life these things: to your faith add goodness; to your goodness add knowledge; 6 to your knowledge add self-control; to your self-control add patience; to your patience add devotion to God; 7 to your devotion add kindness toward your brothers and sisters in Christ, and to this kindness add love.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,489
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    How do we know that the repentant thief could fulfil only one requirement for salvation and go to Heaven? Because the Bible tells us so plainly. This criminal who was pardoned died very shortly after making his confession of faith and being accepted by the Savior.

    39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
    40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
    41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
    42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
    43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise. (Luke 23:39-43).

    31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
    32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.
    33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: (John 19:21-33).

    Love Jesus more than parent do not need a years.

    How about us, I know Jesus almost all my life.

    How about you, how many years you know Jesus, is this requirement not for you?

    Do you believe for you not require take the cross and suffer for the Lord?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,489
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    Jackson123,

    Let me ask what resources are available to you to further your study and understanding.

    Now, a truly converted person will love Christ more than any other.

    Let me put in perspective a bit: We had a woman in church, lost, rejected baptism, public profession of faith after making an initial "decision" for Jesus after hearing the Gospel. Her husband had also just recently died thus she came to church.

    Her husband said he was saved, but lived a life of sin, never went to church, never served the Lord. This according to his children who were godly people. Even his own daughter gave this testimony concerning him and because was she was concerned that he was not ever truly saved given his life. She, the now widow, stated at her decision not to follow Christ, that no matter where her husband was, she wanted to be with him. She rejected Jesus for that.

    Being unconverted, she did not love the Christ of God more than her husband or family. She cannot and could not love Him more than all others unless and until she is converted.

    To love Him more than others, is not something we do to get to heaven, it is something He does in us - we value Him above all others and all else.

    We have to get from what Jesus said to understanding what He means.
    So you believe to love Jesus more than anything is not our decisian?

  18. #18
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,418
    Rep Power
    61

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson123 View Post
    So you believe to love Jesus more than anything is not our decisian?
    Please list all the things you must do so that Christ will save you once you do them.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,489
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    That's a good way to misunderstand the situation. The man died shortly after making his confession of faith. The issue of loving his father, mother, etc. more that Christ did not come up. What did come up was (a) his recognition that Christ should not have been crucified as a criminal, (b) that the superscription on the cross of Christ was literally true, (c) that Jesus was indeed not only the King of the Jews, but had an eternal kingdom into which he sought to gain entrance.

    In short he believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and was saved by grace through faith. Please note that this is exactly how the keeper of the prison in Philippi was saved (Acts 16:30,31):

    30And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

    31
    And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    may be there are 2set of different requirement for baby Christian and for adultery Christian, I am not sure.

    but Jesus say, It require to Love him more than family for salvation

    It is require to suffer for Him for salvation

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2016
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,332
    Rep Power
    28

    Default Re: Another requirement for salvation; Not that simple

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson123 View Post
    may be there are 2set of different requirement for baby Christian and for adultery Christian, I am not sure.

    but Jesus say, It require to Love him more than family for salvation

    It is require to suffer for Him for salvation
    So its all about what YOU do.
    YOU, YOU, YOU.
    Read John 3:16
    Angela53510 likes this.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Simple Question...No Simple Answer
    By SeaBass in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 438
    Last Post: November 20th, 2014, 07:14 PM
  2. A simple question (a simple answer)
    By secularhermit in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 17th, 2014, 08:55 AM
  3. Obedience, A Necessary Requirement For Salvation?
    By Skinski7 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: June 10th, 2013, 11:42 PM
  4. Church membership requirement
    By Lucy68 in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 16th, 2012, 06:34 AM