Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62
Like Tree39Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

  1. #1
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    How do I not let sign reign my mortal body? When 1 sin is enough to cause sin to reign in the mortal body.

    Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

  2. #2
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    77
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph888 View Post
    How do I not let sign reign my mortal body? When 1 sin is enough to cause sin to reign in the mortal body.

    Romans 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
    First: The Greek language uses tense in verbs differently than English does. In English, tense is primarily used to signify time: present = now; past = before now; future = not yet. In Greek tense is used primarily to signify duration.
    present = ongoing or habitual action.

    Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body is in the present active imperative; and essentially says 'Don't make a habit of it'

    Second The way we avoid sin reigning in us is to prayerfully seek God's help in resisting temptation; instead of trying to do it yourself.
    posthuman and Innerfire89 like this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  3. #3
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Alright that is a good answer but my question is how do I not let sin reign in my mortal body? When 1 sin is enough to let sign reign in the mortal body. When Adam made his first sin then sin reign in his mortal body.

  4. #4
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    The fact is I would have to be sinless in order to not let sin reign in my mortal body. So how do I not let sin reign in my mortal body? When I am sinning everyday more than I can count in my mortal body.

  5. #5
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    77
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph888 View Post
    Alright that is a good answer but my question is how do I not let sin reign in my mortal body? When 1 sin is enough to let sign reign in the mortal body. When Adam made his first sin then sin reign in his mortal body.
    Rom 6:12 does NOT teach that 1 sin is enough to let sign reign in the mortal body!

    First: The Greek language uses tense in verbs differently than English does. In English, tense is primarily used to signify time: present = now; past = before now; future = not yet. In Greek tense is used primarily to signify duration.
    present = ongoing or habitual action.

    Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body is in the present active imperative; and essentially says 'Don't make a habit of it'
    posthuman likes this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  6. #6
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Rom 6:12 does NOT teach that 1 sin is enough to let sign reign in the mortal body!

    First: The Greek language uses tense in verbs differently than English does. In English, tense is primarily used to signify time: present = now; past = before now; future = not yet. In Greek tense is used primarily to signify duration.
    present = ongoing or habitual action.

    Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body is in the present active imperative; and essentially says 'Don't make a habit of it'
    I am going to have to disagree with you because 1 sin is enough to cause a person to become a servant to sin. How does a person become a servant to righteousness and not let sin reign in their mortal body? When we sin more than we can count every day?

  7. #7
    Senior Member posthuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2013
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14,693
    Rep Power
    235

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph888 View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you because 1 sin is enough to cause a person to become a servant to sin. How does a person become a servant to righteousness and not let sin reign in their mortal body? When we sin more than we can count every day?
    well, heh, by your definition, doesn't one single righteous act alone make you a slave of righteousness?



    ((tho the truth is, MarcR just told us the truth. he's a knowledgeable brother ))
    Depleted likes this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    September 3rd, 2017
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Jesus Christ died for your sins. That is the difference between you and Adam. Jesus had not come is Adams day. Keep searching for true and it shall be poured out to you in abundance. God Bless.

  9. #9
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    The fact is through our own self effort we are not able to not let sin reign in our mortal bodies. However, the Lord has given us a way that we can not let sin reign in our mortal bodies. When we are saved we die to the power of sin crucified with Christ through spiritual circumcision, we become dead to sin buried with Christ through spiritual baptism which cleanses us from all of our sin, then the Holy Spirit makes us alive to God through his quickening Holy Spirit where we become born again risen with Christ, and all of this is done by the gift of faith without works. Christ puts away all of our sins once and for all on the day of salvation. This is how we do not let sign reign in our mortal bodies. For he that is dead to sin is free from sin with no more sin debt, none of their sins are imputed anymore, God no longer remembers our sins, and God even inputs the righteousness of Christ to us. Where we become servants to righteousness and no longer servants to sin anymore. We become holy and righteousness to God through substitution atonement by faith alone with works through the work of God which is to believe in Jesus Christ.

    Joh 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
    Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

    Ro 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    Ro 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

    Ro 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

    Ro 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
    Ro 4:6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
    Ro 4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
    Ro 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

    2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
    2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
    2Co 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
    2Co 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
    2Co 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

    Ga 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    Ga 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    Ga 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

    Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
    Col 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
    Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
    Col 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
    Col 2:13 ΒΆ And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
    Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
    Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

    Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

    Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
    Grace777x70 and Believe3 like this.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph888 View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you because 1 sin is enough to cause a person to become a servant to sin. How does a person become a servant to righteousness and not let sin reign in their mortal body? When we sin more than we can count every day?
    Think of how a king reings, a king is the master who tells everyone how they can live by his rules. You have to pay the king taxes until one day he chops off your head.
    Don't let sin be king of your body, don't follow it's rules by living for it, or off with your head!

    We do sin, but we are not slaves to sin any longer, we live for rightiousness.
    MarcR and Believe3 like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    77
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Innerfire89 View Post
    Think of how a king reings, a king is the master who tells everyone how they can live by his rules. You have to pay the king taxes until one day he chops off your head.
    Don't let sin be king of your body, don't follow it's rules by living for it, or off with your head!

    We do sin, but we are not slaves to sin any longer, we live for rightiousness.
    Well said indeed!!
    Innerfire89 likes this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  12. #12
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Christ puts away our old person and makes us new creatures in Christ by faith alone without works on the day of salvation.

  13. #13
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    77
    Posts
    3,577
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph888 View Post
    I am going to have to disagree with you because 1 sin is enough to cause a person to become a servant to sin. How does a person become a servant to righteousness and not let sin reign in their mortal body? When we sin more than we can count every day?
    When a person (including you) decides to use words differently than the way they are used in common discourse, communication becomes difficult or impossible.

    I am not going to question your sincerity; though that is beginning to seem appropriate.

    I am going do find someone more receptive to converse with.
    Depleted likes this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  14. #14
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by posthuman View Post
    well, heh, by your definition, doesn't one single righteous act alone make you a slave of righteousness?


    ((tho the truth is, MarcR just told us the truth. he's a knowledgeable brother ))
    He gave a good answer about how to resist temptation through praying continually but I don't believe that was the answer to the question.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    74
    Posts
    988
    Rep Power
    49

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph888 View Post
    How do I not let sign reign my mortal body? When 1 sin is enough to cause sin to reign in the mortal body.
    1. By believing what is revealed in Romans chapter 6 and applying it by faith, which means:

    2. By believing that Christians can and do sin, and must deal with sin. [contrary to what a few claim or teach]

    What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? Why would this be addressed to Christians if they were already sinlessly perfect?

    3. By believing that "the flesh" -- the old sinful Adamic nature (which is a part of human nature) -- was crucified with Christ, which means it is powerless to control the saint.

    Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin...For he that is dead is freed from sin... Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin.

    4. By believing that you do not have to yield to your lusts, but you can -- by faith -- reject them through the power of the Holy Spirit.

    Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof...Neither yield ye your members
    as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin.


    Grace777x70 likes this.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Innerfire89's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph888 View Post
    Christ puts away our old person and makes us new creatures in Christ by faith alone without works on the day of salvation.
    When you say "without works" do you not by works?

    Through grace alone, by faith alone?

  17. #17
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by Innerfire89 View Post
    When you say "without works" do you not by works?

    Through grace alone, by faith alone?
    Through the work of God and that not of myself.
    Grace777x70 and Innerfire89 like this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member posthuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2013
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14,693
    Rep Power
    235

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    maybe useful to point out that Paul is talking about our mortal bodies in verse 12, not your soul. and that verse 12 starts with a "therefore" -- which means, "let not sin reign in your mortal bodies" is the rational conclusion of what he's said in verses 1-11 ((& all the book from chapter 1 to this point)).
    in Romans 6:1-11 Paul has in very deliberate, plain language informed the reader that as a believer we have died ((explicitly past tense)) in Christ, are dead ((explicitly present tense)) in Christ. he states this literally like a dozen times in ten verses. then, in verse 11, he gives the very first "
    command" in the entire book so far -- the first imperative sentence: consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

    consider yourself dead to sin

    obviously that's not talking about your mortal body - unless you've been bodily resurrected already and somehow this post has survived for you to see it. it's talking about your soul.
    that's the first statement in all of Romans that directs the reader to actually do something - everything else up to this point is descriptive, informative and logical statements. do what? look at yourself in a ((probably)) different way.

    well bro, that's your answer: you are dead to sin already. you died in Christ when you were baptized into Him ((doncha know??)). yeah, probably you don't realize that. probably it hasn't hit home. probably you haven't really comprehended the reality of that. that's not uncommon; that's the norm. that's probably why Paul feels the need to go to so much trouble to refer us to that fact before instructing us to therefore, because of this fact, prevent sin from becoming the regular habit of our bodies. how do you do that?

    consider yourself dead to sin

    step 1, necessary prerequisite: realize that sin has no power over you and is as good as a corpse to you.
    step 2: like Marc said, again - look to God, who is our help; it's by Him we live


    Grace777x70 and Innerfire89 like this.

  19. #19
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    When a person (including you) decides to use words differently than the way they are used in common discourse, communication becomes difficult or impossible.

    I am not going to question your sincerity; though that is beginning to seem appropriate.

    I am going do find someone more receptive to converse with.
    I already had the answer to the question. I was testing to see if people on this website had the same answer as me.

  20. #20
    Member Joseph888's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2017
    Age
    26
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: How do I not let sign reign my mortal body?

    Quote Originally Posted by posthuman View Post
    maybe useful to point out that Paul is talking about our mortal bodies in verse 12, not your soul. and that verse 12 starts with a "therefore" -- which means, "let not sin reign in your mortal bodies" is the rational conclusion of what he's said in verses 1-11 ((& all the book from chapter 1 to this point)).
    in Romans 6:1-11 Paul has in very deliberate, plain language informed the reader that as a believer we have died ((explicitly past tense)) in Christ, are dead ((explicitly present tense)) in Christ. he states this literally like a dozen times in ten verses. then, in verse 11, he gives the very first "
    command" in the entire book so far -- the first imperative sentence: consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

    consider yourself dead to sin

    obviously that's not talking about your mortal body - unless you've been bodily resurrected already and somehow this post has survived for you to see it. it's talking about your soul.
    that's the first statement in all of Romans that directs the reader to actually do something - everything else up to this point is descriptive, informative and logical statements. do what? look at yourself in a ((probably)) different way.

    well bro, that's your answer: you are dead to sin already. you died in Christ when you were baptized into Him ((doncha know??)). yeah, probably you don't realize that. probably it hasn't hit home. probably you haven't really comprehended the reality of that. that's not uncommon; that's the norm. that's probably why Paul feels the need to go to so much trouble to refer us to that fact before instructing us to therefore, because of this fact, prevent sin from becoming the regular habit of our bodies. how do you do that?

    consider yourself dead to sin

    step 1, necessary prerequisite: realize that sin has no power over you and is as good as a corpse to you.
    step 2: like Marc said, again - look to God, who is our help; it's by Him we live


    My flesh still sins however my flesh is alienated from sin because I don't have a sin debt anymore. I have a perfect sinless righteous covering for my flesh through the righteousness of Christ by faith alone without works.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 17th, 2016, 08:36 PM
  2. Body Image issues and Body care (Temple of the Holy Spirit)
    By christianguitarist in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 18th, 2016, 07:16 AM
  3. Anyone has problem with Facebook sign in and sign out?
    By TRSSS1stPresident in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 25th, 2015, 01:43 PM
  4. do you worship a God that is mortal?
    By wakeup in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: April 13th, 2014, 08:55 PM
  5. Mortal Love?
    By Blade_chick in forum Christian Poems & Poetry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 16th, 2012, 10:32 PM