Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Like Tree77Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

  1. #21
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    77
    Posts
    3,613
    Rep Power
    53

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by OneFaith View Post
    It's not my intention to attack. Some people just feel attacked when someone disagrees with them. It's hard to tell in text- when you can't see their facial expression, or hear their tone of voice. I'm a very soft-spoken and quiet person if you knew me personally. I am shy and not assertive in speaking up, except for in this format.

    Everything that I mention on here was once new to me too. My goal is truth, not pride. I hope everyone here knows that I care, and that that's why I'm here- to see to it that no one goes to hell just because I don't want to speak up. From there, they can make up their own minds.
    I honestly wasn't aiming at anyone.
    Angela53510, posthuman and joefizz like this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  2. #22
    Senior Member pottersclay's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2015
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,639
    Rep Power
    98

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    I honestly wasn't aiming at anyone.

    Well marcR you got us all in the cross hairs with this one. How do you explain that?....huh.....yeah just what I thought.....off with your head.

  3. #23
    Senior Member joefizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    When all else fails, we can hurl insults at each other...



    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    Oh yeah!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

    now now boys if you must be "silly" put these pictures in my "silly thread" in singles forum lol!
    1ofthem likes this.
    We are all family in God's eyes,so please at least try to get along,sincerely, a child of God.

  4. #24
    Senior Member joefizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    When all else fails, we can hurl insults at each other...



    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    Yeah!!!




    Ooommmph!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    Yeah!!!


    once again please direct all silly fight pictures to Joefizz's silly thread in singles forum!
    1ofthem likes this.
    We are all family in God's eyes,so please at least try to get along,sincerely, a child of God.

  5. #25
    Senior Member joefizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    Uh-huh! Here ya go!


    pure silliness picture welcome to be put in Joefizz's silly thread in singles forum!
    1ofthem likes this.
    We are all family in God's eyes,so please at least try to get along,sincerely, a child of God.

  6. #26
    Senior Member joefizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    Oh no you don't. I'll help myself.


    Quote Originally Posted by SovereignGrace View Post
    Don't worry...I have sumptin' up my sleeve...

    Silliness personified please oh please put these pictures in Joefizz's silly thread in singles forum,they could add more silliness to his silly thread lol!
    We are all family in God's eyes,so please at least try to get along,sincerely, a child of God.

  7. #27
    Senior Member joefizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2017
    Posts
    4,924
    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by pottersclay View Post
    Well marcR you got us all in the cross hairs with this one. How do you explain that?....huh.....yeah just what I thought.....off with your head.
    of cabbage???
    We are all family in God's eyes,so please at least try to get along,sincerely, a child of God.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    16,358
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    263

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Basic Premise: The Bible is the absolute standard of truth and ANYTHING that contradicts it is a lie or an error.


    Premise: One function of a forum is to attack ideas to see if they can withstand a challenge.


    What should happen is that the attacks are directed exclusively at the ideas and NEVER at the people who hold them or seek to test them. Otherwise we ignore Jesus' command to love our enemies. Not only that; but, there is no reason to make an enemy of everyone we disagree with.

    Premise: Another function of a forum is to share blessings and thereby uplift one another.

    Blessings are not arguable! if you are not uplifted you have no right to spoil the blessing for someone else.

    If you disagree with something someone shares as a blessing start another thread to discuss your thoughts.


    Premise: Basic rules of grammar and syntax are not debatable and and definitions are debatable only within established lexical rules.

    Otherwise we are not speaking the same language.


    What I have set forth are a few rules of formal debate that are universally accepted in formal debate.

    Since a forum is not formal debate there is no way of enforcing them here but we can each agree to impose them on ourselves.
    I never responded to this when you posted it. I really do like it, but thought few would ever get that's what I'm supposed to do out of it, so it wasn't going to work.

    That said, you also said something else a few days ago that I've been thinking about. Something along the lines of "if it's about people/us/us-centered, than it's not worth learning. If it is God-centered than it is." (Not exact quotes, but something along those lines, and all related to who to listen to for teachers of the Bible.)

    Been thinking about that for a few days too.

    (If nothing else, at least you know you say things that make me think... a lot.)

    It seems to me, that would work better for debates on this forum. Because, you're right, most of it is people centered.

    Only problem left is almost every time you say something it either takes me a few days to digest it, or I can't (digest it/get it.) You're a bit like Posthuman -- above my brain level most of the time, but I can get some of it here and there.

    You talk a lot about grammar issues. I am below monoglot. I can only speak in English and I have trouble with even English grammar.

    But this was to let you know I have been thinking about what you say, even got to make sense of it eventually, (and deep down I'm hoping this raises this topic back to the top again, since I am very tired of how often this forum comes down to cross-talking instead of real communication.)
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  9. #29
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    25
    Posts
    13,376
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    179

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    I never responded to this when you posted it. I really do like it, but thought few would ever get that's what I'm supposed to do out of it, so it wasn't going to work.

    That said, you also said something else a few days ago that I've been thinking about. Something along the lines of "if it's about people/us/us-centered, than it's not worth learning. If it is God-centered than it is." (Not exact quotes, but something along those lines, and all related to who to listen to for teachers of the Bible.)

    Been thinking about that for a few days too.

    (If nothing else, at least you know you say things that make me think... a lot.)

    It seems to me, that would work better for debates on this forum. Because, you're right, most of it is people centered.

    Only problem left is almost every time you say something it either takes me a few days to digest it, or I can't (digest it/get it.) You're a bit like Posthuman -- above my brain level most of the time, but I can get some of it here and there.

    You talk a lot about grammar issues. I am below monoglot. I can only speak in English and I have trouble with even English grammar.

    But this was to let you know I have been thinking about what you say, even got to make sense of it eventually, (and deep down I'm hoping this raises this topic back to the top again, since I am very tired of how often this forum comes down to cross-talking instead of real communication.)
    Real communication? That reminds of the time I asked my friend if he wanted to hang out and he was like yea sure thing what is your skype? I was like ............seriously?
    Depleted likes this.
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    The strongest among you may not wear a crown

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Some Thoughts On The Nature of Christian Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Basic Premise: The Bible is the absolute standard of truth and ANYTHING that contradicts it is a lie or an error.


    Premise: One function of a forum is to attack ideas to see if they can withstand a challenge.


    What should happen is that the attacks are directed exclusively at the ideas and NEVER at the people who hold them or seek to test them. Otherwise we ignore Jesus' command to love our enemies. Not only that; but, there is no reason to make an enemy of everyone we disagree with.

    Premise: Another function of a forum is to share blessings and thereby uplift one another.

    Blessings are not arguable! if you are not uplifted you have no right to spoil the blessing for someone else.

    If you disagree with something someone shares as a blessing start another thread to discuss your thoughts.


    Premise: Basic rules of grammar and syntax are not debatable and and definitions are debatable only within established lexical rules.

    Otherwise we are not speaking the same language.


    What I have set forth are a few rules of formal debate that are universally accepted in formal debate.

    Since a forum is not formal debate there is no way of enforcing them here but we can each agree to impose them on ourselves.
    I agree with you especially about staying with the topic and not talking about the people. I just posted in another thread where a person was trying to get the author of the thread to name names. To me that's asking for trouble.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Muslim Christian debate (freindly) on the divinity of jesus
    By Bismillah in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: January 5th, 2017, 02:09 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 21st, 2014, 05:20 PM
  3. Christian Reconstruction Debate - Demar, Ice, Hunt, North - Video
    By 1still_waters in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 14th, 2013, 10:41 PM
  4. Truth.Pride.Ego.Approval.:Their role in Christian debate/discussion/arguing
    By 1still_waters in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2013, 03:53 AM