Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 462
Like Tree742Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

  1. #301
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by joaniemarie View Post

    Not as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what maybe Andrew Murry believes as far as finding fault if we confess our sins. I don't live under condemnation anymore so confessing sins is not a sin LOL. Good heavens we humans are so sin conscience that we can't even receive free forgiveness when it's given.

    When I sin I can't help but say I'm sorry to the Lord right at the moment I realize what I did. And it's usually right away. But I always apply the truth of Jesus imputed righteousness on me. I know I walk in forgiveness all the time. But it's just normal to say I'm sorry Lord. So it's not a waste of breath. I think Ben titled this thread on purpose for a reason to discuss why we confess. And it's a good topic that has given opportunity for us to examine these Bible truths. Thanks Ben!!!
    Yeh I agree,

    I don’t think the issue for me is whether we confess or not.
    The issue to me is of So why so and if not my not.
    BenFTW and joaniemarie like this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  2. #302
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,622
    Rep Power
    42

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    I did say earlier on. Not sure if you saw it.

    But my answer is NO.
    Maybe a poll is needed?

  3. #303
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    Maybe a poll is needed?
    Would be intersting.
    what would also be interesting to then add sub-answers to the questions as to why
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  4. #304
    Senior Member peacefulbeliever's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2012
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,419
    Rep Power
    69

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    When a child is punished by their parents for wrong doing, sometimes a simple "I'm sorry" restores fellowship between the child and the parent and returns the dynamic of child and parent back into harmony with each other. So I don't see anything wrong with saying your sorry for your behavior. An apology is never a "waste of breath".
    phil36, Miri, Billyd and 3 others like this.
    Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. Psalm 51:2
    Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad. Pro. 12:25
    Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Ps. 19:14
    The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. Ps. 33:11
    We learn to walk spiritually the same way we learn to walk physically-by walking.

  5. #305
    Senior Member phil36's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,394
    Rep Power
    51

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Yeh I agree,

    I don’t think the issue for me is whether we confess or not.
    The issue to me is of So why so and if not my not.
    These issues have been talked about in the posts BillyG.

    1) A couple of people suggest that since your already forgiven you do not need to confess your sins, as you now under no condemnation.

    2) Most others suggest that although you are declared right with God (just) and therefore now under no condemnation, you still wrestle with the old man and we still sin. Sin disrupts our walking in harmony with God, he is Holy and Just. So we still confess our sins not from fear of condemnation (there is none for the believer) but rather to restore that filial relationship.

    Both parties believe that we can only live the life of faith in the power of Christ by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

    There is a 3rd group, those who are legalists, who believe in works righteousness, both groups would disagree with this.

    What we need to understand is that some people have come to realization of what Jesus has done for us and it is all of grace, they may have been taught legalism, or just didnt fully understand salvation in Christ. I think we can see this in a couple of Posts above. However the danger is that this realization of grace does'nt take you from one error to the next, from one extreme to another. We should always remember the warning in Jude 1:4, that we do not pervert the GRACE of God.

    Thats the basics. These issues are not new in the church. Legalism has always been around, and so has Antinomianism (hyper grace skirts dangerously close to Antinomianism).

    So you have to ask yourself, what does the bible actually say, not what I or others say. Do we confess our sins or is a waste of breath as the Op suggests?

    Me personally, even though I have been forgiven and now under no condemnation, I still confess my sins, and rely on the power of Christ to resist temptation etc.

    (just as a note, read the statements to the churches in revelation...repent.) none of are perfected yet. But one day. Come Lord Jesus.
    MarcR, Desertsrose, BillG and 2 others like this.
    Soli Deo Gloria

    "After all, there is a Protestantism still worth contending for, there is a Calvinism still worth proclaiming, and a gospel well worth dying for" - C H Spurgeon



    • "What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

  6. #306
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,622
    Rep Power
    42

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Good point on revelation.

    Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
    oldethennew and Speak2Me like this.

  7. #307
    Senior Member 7seasrekeyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    747
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemaryx View Post
    Love everything you have put in this post...When I gave my life to Jesus I surrenderd everything to live my life according to His plan...I do not want to live my life any other way, I know I have a long way to go, but as the Lord leads I will follow...I believe I just fell in love with Him some today, I just love Him so much, His truth is beautiful, and I am so thankful that God led me to this site where I learn so much through His Faithful Word...I love reading your post to 7, and you have led me also in the Word...Praise God, we are all one spirit, and Jesus is the Head...xox...

    you touch my heart and encourage ME in the Lord

    truly

    hugs

  8. #308
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by phil36 View Post
    These issues have been talked about in the posts BillyG.

    1) A couple of people suggest that since your already forgiven you do not need to confess your sins, as you now under no condemnation.

    2) Most others suggest that although you are declared right with God (just) and therefore now under no condemnation, you still wrestle with the old man and we still sin. Sin disrupts our walking in harmony with God, he is Holy and Just. So we still confess our sins not from fear of condemnation (there is none for the believer) but rather to restore that filial relationship.

    Both parties believe that we can only live the life of faith in the power of Christ by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

    There is a 3rd group, those who are legalists, who believe in works righteousness, both groups would disagree with this.

    What we need to understand is that some people have come to realization of what Jesus has done for us and it is all of grace, they may have been taught legalism, or just didnt fully understand salvation in Christ. I think we can see this in a couple of Posts above. However the danger is that this realization of grace does'nt take you from one error to the next, from one extreme to another. We should always remember the warning in Jude 1:4, that we do not pervert the GRACE of God.

    Thats the basics. These issues are not new in the church. Legalism has always been around, and so has Antinomianism (hyper grace skirts dangerously close to Antinomianism).

    So you have to ask yourself, what does the bible actually say, not what I or others say. Do we confess our sins or is a waste of breath as the Op suggests?

    Me personally, even though I have been forgiven and now under no condemnation, I still confess my sins, and rely on the power of Christ to resist temptation etc.

    (just as a note, read the statements to the churches in revelation...repent.) none of are perfected yet. But one day. Come Lord Jesus.
    Yes you are correct.
    I repped your post because it deserved it.

    Can I just add one thing though and this is not to negate your excellent post.

    Is there not another group though who believe that one must confess their sin in order to be forgiven?
    If they don’t then such sins are not forgive. Which to me can lead to legalism of works righteousness.
    So hopefully good works outweigh bad works or sin. I was such a person once and I know of a few still walking like it.
    This also disrupts their relationship with God. A jaundiced view of God’s love and grace.

    As I said this is not to negate your post because it is very good.
    Just wanted to expand it a little.

    Bill
    BenFTW, MarcR and He_reigns like this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  9. #309
    He_reigns
    Guest

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    Let me correct your understanding of what I am saying, if you don't mind. Necessary for forgiveness, for forgiveness. I am not my own savior through the method of sin confession, I am saved by Jesus Christ who died on the cross for my sins and resurrected on the third day unto my justification. I don't confess my sins or forgive others to obtain forgiveness, that makes salvation (my forgiveness) dependent upon me instead of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It steals from Him, it doesn't accredit to Jesus that which He has purchased on my behalf. My forgiveness is by and through Christ, not a work of my own.
    so we do you confess your current sins to the Lord?

  10. #310
    He_reigns
    Guest

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by joaniemarie View Post

    Sorry Phil, Not trying to put any straw men out there. Just different experiences we have as Christians. And we each have them. I didn't say everyone begs and pleads. But many do., I did. Many Christians beg and plead and try to learn to be good beggers and pleaders because many don't know about their rights and security in Christ. He has given us the right to be called the sons of God. And many of us behave like paupers and the devil counts on that and defeats us in condemnation and guilt.

    Many are insecure because their security is based on their ability to present themselves. I didn't say those who don't agree with me are (religious swap Christ) for religion. But there are many who do regardless of my opinions on the subject. Some here who will accuse those of us who are encouraging confidence and security and strong consolation in Christ to be flippant in our relationship with Jesus as if we want to sin so that grace will abound. And that is far from true.

    That post was written by another Christian named Major Thomas who noticed the same things I was doing as a believer. I didn't have peace or joy. Major Thomas didn't have peace and joy either. I could relate to what he wrote because that was my life too before the HolySpirit showed me about my righteousness in Christ. I used to have like many Christians an empty powerless religion. I depended on myself and not Jesus. I didn't know how to implement Gal.2:20

    Not a straw man just sharing the facts. I once was blind but now I see. Those are good things to share ., not straw men.

    Could you actually converse with people without resorting to the implication that you and you alone have superior revelation knowledge and some higher knowledge than others? What you are repeating and thinking is something new for you, actually started 40 years ago by Ken E. Hagin and all his disciples, including Joe Prince keep the charade alive for new converts[you] today.

    When you can stop aggrandizing and lording over others that you have Superior knowledge, maybe I will stop and read one of your posts.
    Speak2Me likes this.

  11. #311
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,298
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    106

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemaryx View Post
    It`s the truth lol...It has opened my eyes to the freedom I have in Christ, I do not have to keep begging for forgiveness because I am already forgiven...I understand exactly that I do NOT have a free license to sin, although I knew that part already, it`s just giving more understanding to so much Scripture in my head, that now when I read, I feel some kind of fear has been removed...
    I know now what NO condemnation means for those who are in Christ Jesus, I know I can go boldly to the throne, anytime, I just feel more freedom, something has shifted in me, maybe a few scales have fallen from my eyes, I know this could not possible happen without me led by the Holy Spirit to these truths, and I must thank Ben for posting this thread that I nearly by passed because I did not like the title lol...\0/...xox...
    Glory to God! I am truly happy for you, this is exactly why this thread was made. So that you can go boldly before the Father knowing your right standing with God. Rosemary, the title of this thread was sensationalized (think clickbait, lol), to get people to look into it and reflect upon their relationship with God. What is the basis for that relationship? Jesus Christ, and the forgiveness we already have through Him, praise God. This was the Father's will that He sent His Son for us to take care of the very thing alienating us from Him. Sin. So not only does Jesus love us, but so does the Father who sent the Son.

    My answer to the thread title for those that say I suggest its a waste of breath is that no sin confession is not a waste of breath in that of transparency before God. We can't hide sin from God, we can't hide our wrongdoings. So, there is no reason to put up a facade. Explain to Him your situation, ask Him for strength next time temptation comes around and approach the throne of grace in time of need. Especially do this in the moment of temptation. The waste of breathe part is about there not being anything more we can do to receive forgiveness from God, because Jesus has done it all. He gets the glory.
    Rosemaryx likes this.

  12. #312
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,298
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    106

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Yeh I agree,

    I don’t think the issue for me is whether we confess or not.
    The issue to me is of So why so and if not my not.
    Exactly, that is the question being presented. For what reason? An argument was made in OP that it cannot be for forgiveness since Jesus through His bloodshed purchased for us the remission of our sins. Thats it. There is nothing crazy and fanatical being said here. Simply, Jesus is being accredited with what He accomplished through His sufferings.
    chancer and BillG like this.

  13. #313
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,298
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    106

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Exactly Right!!! We already have forgiveness! In confessing, we are asking help to avoid repeating the same error.
    Our sins are indeed forgiven; but we should NEVER be comfortable with or about them.
    I absolutely agree with this statement, we shouldn't be comfortable with sin. It is no longer who we are, we have been made new creations. As the apostle Paul says, we should reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive unto God (as symbolized in baptism). He says elsewhere to not use our liberty as an occasion for the flesh, but to use our members for righteousness. I love the reality we now walk in, in Christ. The righteous do righteousness, and this we know is by the grace of God and the Lord's process of sanctification.

  14. #314
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    5,219
    Rep Power
    133

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Through 'confession' of our sins, not only are we drawing closer to God in our
    humility and regret/road to 'over-coming', but we are being taught by
    The Holy Spirit, how to 'forgive-ourselves', and thus we are able to
    hear and learn and grow on our journey/walk, being assured that
    we are in 'the Will of God'...

    always remember, 'repentance means 'turning away from sin', and 'turning to the Ways of God'...
    Miri, BillG and Rosemaryx like this.

  15. #315
    chancer
    Guest

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    Exactly, that is the question being presented. For what reason? An argument was made in OP that it cannot be for forgiveness since Jesus through His bloodshed purchased for us the remission of our sins. Thats it. There is nothing crazy and fanatical being said here. Simply, Jesus is being accredited with what He accomplished through His sufferings.
    Amen; I love the word mercy. He does not give us what our sins deserve but instead He is making us vessels of honour.

    2 Timothy 2:20-22 (E.S.V). Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonourable therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
    BenFTW, MarcR and Rosemaryx like this.

  16. #316
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    5,219
    Rep Power
    133

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    PRO. 3:9-10.
    Honour The LORD with your substance, and with the first fruits of all your increase:
    So shall your barns be filled with plenty, and your presses shall burst out with new wine.

    JAMES 5:11.
    Behold, we count them happy which endure. You have heard of the patience of Job,
    and have seen the end of The Lord; that The Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

    1COR. 9:24-25-26-27.
    Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize?
    So run, that ye may obtain.

    And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things.
    Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

    I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

    But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection
    : lest that by any means,
    when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.
    Hizikyah and Speak2Me like this.

  17. #317
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,723
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldethennew View Post
    Through 'confession' of our sins, not only are we drawing closer to God in our
    humility and regret/road to 'over-coming', but we are being taught by
    The Holy Spirit, how to 'forgive-ourselves', and thus we are able to
    hear and learn and grow on our journey/walk, being assured that
    we are in 'the Will of God'...

    always remember, 'repentance means 'turning away from sin', and 'turning to the Ways of God'...
    How to forgive ourselves???

    I only put ??? Because most do not do that.
    But we need to realise that because we have been forgiven.
    If we can’t forgive ourselves then we can’t accept that we have been forgiven by God.

    You my friend have hit the nail on the head.
    Thank you for addressing this.
    To me it is so so important.
    MarcR and oldethennew like this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  18. #318
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    50
    Posts
    24,682
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    227

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Where sin abounds, grace did much more abound.........thank God thru Jesus for this!
    Miri, Hizikyah, MarcR and 3 others like this.

  19. #319
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    5,219
    Rep Power
    133

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    HOLY GRACE!?!?!

    it's so Spiritual, so heart-warming, so filled with assurance, imparting true Peace,
    in so many different ways as we grow into what our Heavenly Father expects of us...
    sometimes it can seem like such a heavenly mystery; but Jesus has truly given His Truth,
    to those whom He has called, for these end-times, it's on-going, right from the beginning...

    even though our ancestors betrayed Him, He has seen fit in His Love and Righteousness,
    to give each of us chances/choices...

    how can we not Love and Adore Him in every way that we can think of?!?!?
    Hizikyah, MarcR and Rosemaryx like this.

  20. #320
    Senior Member UnderGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,268
    Rep Power
    100

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Yes He did, no one gets through the narrow gate focusing on themselves.

    Jesus is the gate.... He paid the full penalty for our sins and was victorious over sin

    It is not easy for humans to lay down their self-effort, that is why the gate is narrow.

    Jesus does not save those trying to save themselves.




    Quote Originally Posted by Snoozy View Post
    the Lord said strive to enter.
    dcontroversal and MarcR like this.
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    Romans 6:14

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vote on Obsession with confession(1st John 1:9,sin confession)
    By seed_time_harvest in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 584
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 11:06 PM
  2. Obsession with Confession (1 John 1:9, sin confession)
    By BenFTW in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1339
    Last Post: January 21st, 2016, 02:11 AM
  3. No Time To Waste.
    By GOP in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 24th, 2015, 05:07 PM
  4. What Do You Consider a Waste of Time?
    By seoulsearch in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: September 4th, 2015, 02:07 PM
  5. Waste Of Space..
    By HeavensOcean in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 20th, 2013, 12:44 PM