Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 462
Like Tree742Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

  1. #21
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,306
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Issachar92 View Post
    1 John 3:7 "..... let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. "
    Notice the past tense in what she said. God has made us righteous, both in judicial standing and in practicality by being born-again and baptizing us in Christ Jesus.
    UnderGrace likes this.

  2. #22
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,306
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldethennew View Post
    it's appears that you are denying your Holy Intercessor,
    and embracing your sins...

    apparently 'free-from-sin-and free-from-consequences are
    very popular these days...
    there is 'much danger in this kind of rebellious thinking/acting'...

    'Strong, Faithful, prayer warriors' needed here!...
    Appearances can be deceiving. This whole post emphasizes our High Priest, and no, this isn't abut embracing sin. This is about forgiveness and how one has it as opposed to one having to obtain it. It is about what Christ has done, and not robbing Him and us of that work. The veil is torn.
    UnderGrace likes this.

  3. #23
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,699
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    When we sin after we are saved we offend our Savior. Jesus washed the feet of the disciples. Not because they needed to be saved but because they would have their feet become soiled as they traveled through this world. Notice that Peter said not just my feet Lord but my head also. Jesus correcting Peter saying that once saved all he needed was to keep his feet clean to serve and have fellowship with his Savior.

    John 13:1 ¶ Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.
    2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him;
    3 Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;
    4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
    5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
    6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
    7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
    8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
    9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
    10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.
    11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.
    12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?
    13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
    14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.
    15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
    16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
    17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    unobtrusive likes this.
    The bible is a mirror not a magnifying glass
    use it to examine yourself not others.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    57

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    Notice the past tense in what she said. God has made us righteous, both in judicial standing and in practicality by being born-again and baptizing us in Christ Jesus.
    So you are claiming to be sinlessly perfect (without stating that explicitly).

    But the Bible says if you make that claim you are (a) deceiving yourself and (b) making God a liar. So both of these are very serious charges brought against you by the Holy Spirit.
    Angela53510 and oldethennew like this.

  5. #25
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,306
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muzungu256 View Post
    is this joseph prince's deal???????

    where does the bible say future sins are automatically forgiven by the way???? (not being snarky i really wanna find this verse)

    Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; Romans 3:25

    another ting u see is, if we arent supposed to confess our sins, why is that verse in the bible???? u see. makes no sense.

    christianity has never been this easy. now we are making it even easier by no confession??? soon its just believe. repentance is already dead.

    fine by me i like easy.
    Are not all sins past that are committed? Just saying. Also, your question about the verse 1 John 1:9 and why its in the Bible. Read it considering that people are being invited into the fellowship, invited into salvation. Consider that he is speaking of light and darkness. If a person doesn't acknowledge his sinful state and say they have no sin (as non-believers often do), they call God a liar and the truth is not in them. They need to repent, confess their sinful state before God, and believe the Gospel.

    He literally says in the verse that their fellowship is with the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ and whoever he is addressing is being invited to join that fellowship.

    1 John 1:3 King James Version (KJV)

    3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
    UnderGrace and joaniemarie like this.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Issachar92's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    Why is Joseph Prince being brought up on this thread? I didn't once mention or cite him, I used scripture to make my case. Address the scripture if you disagree, and show me why my conclusion doesn't logically follow. I don't know why people keep bringing up Joseph Prince on this site as if that discredits what people are sharing through God's word. I gave scripture, not quotes from Joseph Prince.
    The reason he gets brought up is because aint nobody even heard of this before folks like him came along.
    Find me any early church father or even anybody from the reformers or even any catholic theologian, i dont care who, before the 1600s who taught this. Thats the challenge. Then ima reconsider it

  7. #27
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,306
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    So you are claiming to be sinlessly perfect (without stating that explicitly).

    But the Bible says if you make that claim you are (a) deceiving yourself and (b) making God a liar. So both of these are very serious charges brought against you by the Holy Spirit.
    No, I am saying that Jesus tore the veil in two and what separated us from God (sin) has been dealt with and we are now reconciled to God. What also is being stated is what the Apostle Paul says, to reckon ourselves dead to sin and alive unto God. As we died with Christ, so shall we live. Sin shall not have dominion over us, for we are not under the law but grace. Sinless perfection is not an evil concept, it is a righteous desire. Have we obtained it? No, but by God's process of sanctification we are ever closer. We must continue to approach the throne of grace in time of need to obtain mercy and grace for victory.
    UnderGrace and joaniemarie like this.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    5,221
    Rep Power
    133

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    In 1Jn 1:9 'confess' is in the present tense indicating thst the action is to be ongoing or habitual. I don't think it is necessary to be aware of and confess every shortcoming, or something will remain unforgiven.
    I think our prayer life should include periodic acknowledgement of the fact that we fall short of perfect obedience.

    Some may notice that I took another position on this issue, in another post several days ago. My position has indeed changed after having parsed this verse in the Greek. I have come to what I regard as a better understanding a few minutes ago.
    =================================================

    Brother Marc,
    we both are indeed humbled by your 'confession', this is an obvious 'sign', that we all
    are
    to be open always to 'Spiritual Growth', this is what 'real-studying brings us to',
    continual Growth in Jesus Christ, our Saviour...

    Thank You for sharing such an intimate event in your life', with those of us who are
    always and forever 'seeking the Wisdom and Understanding of our Holy Saviour',.
    and HIS WAYS'...

  9. #29
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,747
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    To me I would say that confession of sin is not a waste of time.
    To me it’s actually very important.

    To me I think the issue is do we have to confess to be forgiven?
    But what does ‘Confess mean?

    Basically it means to acknowledge/agree with.

    So to me do I need to confess my sin in order to be forgiven?
    I would have say no. Now the reason I say this is because what about the sins I have comitted that I wasn’t aware of and haven’t confessed? If not confessed then by implication they are not forgiven.

    Further issues arise when Paul talks about regarding eating food sacrificed to idols. The weaker brother.

    This is my take on it.

    Adam and Eve were spiritually sperated from God because of sin.
    So now there is barrier between God and man.
    The intimate/loving relationship has now been lost.

    So a plan set in place at the beginning.

    That plan was fulfilled when Jesus hung on the cross for those awful hours where it went dark and the sins of the world were being laid upon in.

    ”My God My God Why have forsaken me? Into your hands I place my spirt”

    Then the temple curtain was torn in two.

    Now as a result we have full access to the throne of God. One sacrifice made once for all.

    A loving relationship is now restored and there for the taking for those who confess their unbelief in Jesus and believe in our hearts that God raised him from the dead and we make him Lord of our life.

    So as a result of Jesus we have a relationship with the Father.

    Now with any relationship it can be strained.
    On this earth its because someone had upset/offended or done something against you.
    Then barriers build up. The offended puts up a barrier but also the offender does so as well (assuming they know they have done wrong but feel bad/guilty and can’t go to The offend for that reason and also fear of rejection)

    Now given that God is constant concerning his love for us then any barriers built up are from our side.
    Remember the curtain was torn it two.

    When we get it wrong guilt, condemnation and fear of rejection sets in. This doesn’t come from God, it comes from the deceiver.

    But the relationship is strained from my side.

    So I have come to the conclusion that to confess is fess up, tell God I got it wrong and agree with him I got it wrong. Then I thank him that I am forgiven on account of Jesus and say please help me to become more like Jesus.

    To me it’s relational.
    So in a sense to me it’s “Thank you for talking to me about this, agreeing you got it wrong, it’s forgiven now we can work together”

    I have 4 kids. Do they get it wrong? Yes they do. Does it strain the relationship? Yes it does.
    My wife and I have aspired to be like God to them, impart his ways.
    We always encourage them to be open and honest with us.
    Like most kids they are not, they go behind our back and get it wrong (and funnily enough we know when they do)

    Have they stopped being my kids? No
    Do only forgive them when they tell me? No I have already forgiven them.
    Do I manufacture an opening for them to talk about it? Yes I do.

    Thats what the Holy Spirit does with us.
    He tells us when we get it wrong and says now let’s deal with it.

    I myself pray all the time, if I get it wrong then reveal it to me.
    When he does I agree I got it wrong and ask for strength not to do it again.

    I also pray if I get it wrong but don’t realise it then please let me know.
    During my quiet times I ask “God if there is something I am doing that is wrong or got wrong please let me know”

    Sorry for the long post.

    To sum up

    Confession is relational and it’s for our benefit. He is faithful and just
    Miri, MarcR, joefizz and 1 others like this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  10. #30
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,306
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Issachar92 View Post
    The reason he gets brought up is because aint nobody even heard of this before folks like him came along.
    Find me any early church father or even anybody from the reformers or even any catholic theologian, i dont care who, before the 1600s who taught this. Thats the challenge. Then ima reconsider it
    I'm sorry but this is a moot point. Before Martin Luther the Church didn't subscribe to justification by faith; are you to tell me because there was no historical, credible, source prior that his views should've been dismissed? The argument from history is actually weak, and considering people in the past have been in error we shouldn't look there for the truth but God's present word. Tradition is not the foundation of truth, often times it has been shown to be in error.
    UnderGrace and joaniemarie like this.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    57

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    ... Read it considering that people are being invited into the fellowship, invited into salvation.
    Ben,
    The first epistle of John is written TO BELIEVERS, NOT THE LOST, AND NOT HERETICS. Now please note these words from this epistle very carefully, and then revise your erroneous views:

    I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake. [Obviously this is a reference to past sins, sin John is addressing present sins. But only born-again believers are God's little children.]

    I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. [Only born-again believers know God experientially]

    I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. [Only born-again believers can overcome the Wicked One].

  12. #32
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,604
    Rep Power
    92

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    Before Martin Luther the Church didn't subscribe to justification by faith.
    Goodness sake man this is utterly false. Wow.
    Desertsrose likes this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Issachar92's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    I'm sorry but this is a moot point. Before Martin Luther the Church didn't subscribe to justification by faith; are you to tell me because there was no historical, credible, source prior that his views should've been dismissed? The argument from history is actually weak, and considering people in the past have been in error we shouldn't look there for the truth but God's present word. Tradition is not the foundation of truth, often times it has been shown to be in error.
    Provide the quote please.

    And folks preached faith alone way before martin luther.

    One example quote:
    Clement (80-140 A.D.): So all of them received honor and greatness, not through themselves or their own deeds or the right things they did, but through his will. And we, therefore, who by his will have been called in Jesus Christ, are not justified of ourselves or by our wisdom or insight of religious devotion or the holy deeds we have done from the heart, but by that faith by which almighty God has justified all men from the very beginning. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen. (Clement, Clement's First Letter, 32.3-4) [1]

    Now your turn, gimme the quote.
    Speak2Me likes this.

  14. #34
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,306
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    To me I would say that confession of sin is not a waste of time.
    To me it’s actually very important.

    To me I think the issue is do we have to confess to be forgiven?
    But what does ‘Confess mean?

    Basically it means to acknowledge/agree with.

    So to me do I need to confess my sin in order to be forgiven?
    I would have say no. Now the reason I say this is because what about the sins I have comitted that I wasn’t aware of and haven’t confessed? If not confessed then by implication they are not forgiven.

    Further issues arise when Paul talks about regarding eating food sacrificed to idols. The weaker brother.

    This is my take on it.

    Adam and Eve were spiritually sperated from God because of sin.
    So now there is barrier between God and man.
    The intimate/loving relationship has now been lost.

    So a plan set in place at the beginning.

    That plan was fulfilled when Jesus hung on the cross for those awful hours where it went dark and the sins of the world were being laid upon in.

    ”My God My God Why have forsaken me? Into your hands I place my spirt”

    Then the temple curtain was torn in two.

    Now as a result we have full access to the throne of God. One sacrifice made once for all.

    A loving relationship is now restored and there for the taking for those who confess their unbelief in Jesus and believe in our hearts that God raised him from the dead and we make him Lord of our life.

    So as a result of Jesus we have a relationship with the Father.

    Now with any relationship it can be strained.
    On this earth its because someone had upset/offended or done something against you.
    Then barriers build up. The offended puts up a barrier but also the offender does so as well (assuming they know they have done wrong but feel bad/guilty and can’t go to The offend for that reason and also fear of rejection)

    Now given that God is constant concerning his love for us then any barriers built up are from our side.
    Remember the curtain was torn it two.

    When we get it wrong guilt, condemnation and fear of rejection sets in. This doesn’t come from God, it comes from the deceiver.

    But the relationship is strained from my side.

    So I have come to the conclusion that to confess is fess up, tell God I got it wrong and agree with him I got it wrong. Then I thank him that I am forgiven on account of Jesus and say please help me to become more like Jesus.

    To me it’s relational.
    So in a sense to me it’s “Thank you for talking to me about this, agreeing you got it wrong, it’s forgiven now we can work together”

    I have 4 kids. Do they get it wrong? Yes they do. Does it strain the relationship? Yes it does.
    My wife and I have aspired to be like God to them, impart his ways.
    We always encourage them to be open and honest with us.
    Like most kids they are not, they go behind our back and get it wrong (and funnily enough we know when they do)

    Have they stopped being my kids? No
    Do only forgive them when they tell me? No I have already forgiven them.
    Do I manufacture an opening for them to talk about it? Yes I do.

    Thats what the Holy Spirit does with us.
    He tells us when we get it wrong and says now let’s deal with it.

    I myself pray all the time, if I get it wrong then reveal it to me.
    When he does I agree I got it wrong and ask for strength not to do it again.

    I also pray if I get it wrong but don’t realise it then please let me know.
    During my quiet times I ask “God if there is something I am doing that is wrong or got wrong please let me know”

    Sorry for the long post.

    To sum up

    Confession is relational and it’s for our benefit. He is faithful and just
    This is often an addendum that must be said that confessing one's sin to God is not being put down, rather transparency before God is being emphasized. We can be naked, if you will, before God for the very fact that Jesus purchased for us the remission of our sins. There is no condemnation in Christ Jesus. We should not hide anything from God, He sees all things. So sin confession in the area of sanctification such as that we seek the Lord to deliver us is all fine and well. "Lord continue to strengthen me in this area, the temptations are real." There is nothing wrong with this.

    This is about forgiveness, this thread. Parental forgiveness, as some call it, too is erroneous since Jesus tore the veil in two and took care of the very thing that alienated us from God. Sin. So to say that sin separates us from God is false because our sins of scarlet are as white as snow. He does not impute our sins to us. Jesus is our High Priest, and His sacrifice is sufficient for the remission of our sins by His blood. This is not an excuse to entertain sin, obviously. God's grace isn't a license to sin, scripture plainly states that sin shall not have dominion over us under grace.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    74
    Posts
    1,412
    Rep Power
    57

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    So to me do I need to confess my sin in order to be forgiven? I would have say no.
    Then you would be disagreeing with James, who was writing by Divine inspiration (James 5).

    14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

    15
    And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.


    16
    Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.


    Do you see the connection between confession and forgiveness? Many Bible versions have "sins" in place of "faults", but it makes no difference. Our faults are also sins, and without confession and forgiveness (by God), there will be no healing according to this passage.
    Speak2Me likes this.

  16. #36
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,747
    Rep Power
    135

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    Ben,
    The first epistle of John is written TO BELIEVERS, NOT THE LOST, AND NOT HERETICS. Now please note these words from this epistle very carefully, and then revise your erroneous views:

    I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake. [Obviously this is a reference to past sins, sin John is addressing present sins. But only born-again believers are God's little children.]

    I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. [Only born-again believers know God experientially]

    I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. [Only born-again believers can overcome the Wicked One].
    Yes John is writing to the believers but I think he is reinforcing the Gospel as a result of heritcal teaching that was being espoused by the heretics, exposing it.

    Lets be honest we see it in today’s church.

    Heritcal views being exposed and saying “Don’t fall for it”
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Hizikyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2013
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,091
    Blog Entries
    14
    Rep Power
    42

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Psalm 32:5, “I acknowledged my sin to You, And my crookedness I did not hide. I have said, “I confess my transgressions to יהוה,” And You forgave the crookedness of my sin. Selah.”

    Ecclesiastes 7:20, “For there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and does not sin.”

    1 John 1:8-10, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us."

    1 John 3:4, "Whoever commits sin, transgresses also the Law; for sin is the transgression of the Law."

    1 Timothy 2:5, “For there is one Father and one Mediator between the Father and men, the Man Messiah יהושע,”

    Isaiah 53:5, “But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our crookednesses. The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed.”

    Hebrews 4:1-15, "Seeing then that we have a great High Priest Who has ascended into the heavens: Yahshua the Son of YHWH, let us hold fast our profession. For we do not have a High Priest Who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all ways tempted as we are--yet was without sin."

    1 Timothy 4:1-2, "Now the Spirit speaks very plainly, that in the latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of demons Speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their conscience seared as with a hot iron"

    Proverbs 28:13 “He who covers his sins will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.”
    oldethennew and Speak2Me like this.
    Mt5:18, "I say to you; Unless heaven and earth passes away, one yodh; the smallest of the letters will in no way pass from the Law, until all things are perfected."

    Rev21:1-2, "I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away."

    Rom3:28, "For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the Law."

    Rom3:31, "Are we then doing away with the Law through the faith? By no means! Rather, we establish the Law!"


  18. #38
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,306
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Issachar92 View Post
    Provide the quote please.

    And folks preached faith alone way before martin luther.

    One example quote:
    Clement (80-140 A.D.): So all of them received honor and greatness, not through themselves or their own deeds or the right things they did, but through his will. And we, therefore, who by his will have been called in Jesus Christ, are not justified of ourselves or by our wisdom or insight of religious devotion or the holy deeds we have done from the heart, but by that faith by which almighty God has justified all men from the very beginning. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen. (Clement, Clement's First Letter, 32.3-4) [1]

    Now your turn, gimme the quote.
    The point still stands. Regardless of historical accuracy to the truth, revelation is always growing. Let me restate that before you lose your mind. Perception of already given revelation is always expanding as we continue to grow in the truth of God's word. Nothing new is being added, only revealed just as it happened at the Reformation. There all along, only our eyes are opened.

    I, again, find no reason to provide a quote. I've provided scripture which should be your source for truth not theologians of the past.
    Last edited by BenFTW; 1 Week Ago at 03:25 PM.
    joaniemarie likes this.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    3,870
    Rep Power
    55

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Why do I have to confess my sins for forgiveness when Jesus as my High Priest was the last and once and for all sacrifice for sin? Not only this, scripture says that He isn't like the priests of old having to often sacrifice for his sins and the people's sins, otherwise He would've suffered since the foundation of the world (since He, Himself, is that very sacrifice; Hebrews 9:25-28).
    Confession is acknowledgement of Him not seen.

    I would offer defining words as hope to there original intent can help when hoping to rightly divide His interpretation to us.

    To repent is to comfort or consul one self .Repentance like any work of salvation is a work of God that works in us. God must first repent by comforting himself that he is a God of mercy and not merciless . He them by the hearing of His faith as the same spirit of faith according as it is written that works in us turn us towards Him who has no form . We then having been turned can repent and comfort our selves.

    Think Jeremiah defines that work of God our comforter that does work in us.

    I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God. Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.Jer 31:18


    Strongs Lexicon 05162 nacham {naw-kham'}
    a primitive root; TWOT - 1344; v
    AV - comfort 57, repent 41, comforter 9, ease 1; 108
    1) to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted 1a) (Niphal) 1a1) to be sorry, be moved to pity, have compassion 1a2) to be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent 1a3) to comfort oneself, be comforted 1a4) to comfort oneself, ease oneself 1b) (Piel) to comfort, console 1c) (Pual) to be comforted, be consoled 1d) (Hithpael) 1d1) to be sorry, have compassion 1d2) to rue, repent of 1d3) to comfort oneself, be comforted 1d4) to ease oneself

    Can't comfort (repent) ones own self through self edification. who then did the turning and where would it lead?
    Last edited by garee; 1 Week Ago at 03:26 PM.

  20. #40
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,306
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Sin Confession: A Waste of Breath?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    Then you would be disagreeing with James, who was writing by Divine inspiration (James 5).

    14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

    15
    And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.


    16
    Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.


    Do you see the connection between confession and forgiveness? Many Bible versions have "sins" in place of "faults", but it makes no difference. Our faults are also sins, and without confession and forgiveness (by God), there will be no healing according to this passage.
    Please notice that such confession is not to God, but to man. "Confess your faults to another." In other words, right your wrongs.
    joaniemarie likes this.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vote on Obsession with confession(1st John 1:9,sin confession)
    By seed_time_harvest in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 584
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 11:06 PM
  2. Obsession with Confession (1 John 1:9, sin confession)
    By BenFTW in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1339
    Last Post: January 21st, 2016, 02:11 AM
  3. No Time To Waste.
    By GOP in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 24th, 2015, 05:07 PM
  4. What Do You Consider a Waste of Time?
    By seoulsearch in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: September 4th, 2015, 02:07 PM
  5. Waste Of Space..
    By HeavensOcean in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 20th, 2013, 12:44 PM