Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Nehemiah6
  • 1 Post By IamWhoIam
  • 1 Post By IamWhoIam
  • 1 Post By IamWhoIam
  • 2 Post By MarcR
  • 1 Post By IamWhoIam

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Family Or Friends Or?

  1. #1
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Family Or Friends Or?

    working on my little project, I'm curious what do people think is the correct answer was the people that heard, Jesus family or His friends or both or His Deciples.

    New International Version
    When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, "He is out of his mind."

    New Living Translation
    When his family heard what was happening, they tried to take him away. "He's out of his mind," they said.

    English Standard Version
    And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.”

    Berean Study Bible
    When His family heard about this, they went out to take custody of Him, saying, "He is out of His mind."

    Berean Literal Bible
    And those belonging to Him having heard, went out to seize Him; for they were saying, "He is out of His mind."

    New American Standard Bible
    When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, "He has lost His senses."

    King James Bible
    And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    Holman Christian Standard Bible
    When His family heard this, they set out to restrain Him, because they said, "He's out of His mind."

    International Standard Version
    When his family heard about it, they went to restrain him, because they kept saying, "He's out of his mind!"

    NET Bible
    When his family heard this they went out to restrain him, for they said, "He is out of his mind."

    New Heart English Bible
    And when his family heard it, they went out to take charge of him: for they said, "He is out of his mind."

    Aramaic Bible in Plain English
    And his relatives heard and they went out to take hold of him, for they were saying, “He has gone out of his mind.”

    GOD'S WORD® Translation
    When his family heard about it, they went to get him. They said, "He's out of his mind!"

    New American Standard 1977
    And when His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, “He has lost His senses.”

    Jubilee Bible 2000
    And when his friends and family heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him; for they said, He is beside himself.

    King James 2000 Bible
    And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    American King James Version
    And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    American Standard Version
    And when his friends heard it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    Douay-Rheims Bible
    And when his friends had heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him. For they said: He is become mad.

    Darby Bible Translation
    And his relatives having heard [of it] went out to lay hold on him, for they said, He is out of his mind.

    English Revised Version
    And when his friends heard it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    Webster's Bible Translation
    And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    Weymouth New Testament
    Hearing of this, His relatives came to seize Him by force, for they said, "He is out of his mind."

    World English Bible
    When his friends heard it, they went out to seize him: for they said, "He is insane."

    Young's Literal Translation
    and his friends having heard, went forth to lay hold on him, for they said that he was beside himself,

  2. #2
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Family Or Friends Or?

    arrg aren't there any who want to answer this question? Batter up

  3. #3
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    75
    Posts
    2,227
    Rep Power
    78

    Default Re: Family Or Friends Or?

    Quote Originally Posted by IamWhoIam View Post
    arrg aren't there any who want to answer this question? Batter up
    You have to see what the Greek text actually states, and it is neither "family" nor "friends":

    και ακουσαντες οι παρ αυτου εξηλθον κρατησαι αυτον ελεγον γαρ οτι εξεστη

    Literally this says "And having heard [of it] those belonging to Him went out to seize Him; they said indeed He is out of His mind."

    Here the NASV is closest to the Greek

    New American Standard Bible
    When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, "He has lost His senses."

    Since Christ's family is mentioned later on -- "there came THEN..." -- (v. 31), "His own people" could mean "friends" or simply people from Capernaum or from Nazareth. So it would have been best to translate this as "His own people" (which is vague but matches Scripture).
    Last edited by Nehemiah6; October 12th, 2017 at 03:51 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Family Or Friends Or?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    You have to see what the Greek text actually states, and it is neither "family" nor "friends":

    και ακουσαντες οι παρ αυτου εξηλθον κρατησαι αυτον ελεγον γαρ οτι εξεστη

    Literally this says "And having heard [of it] those belonging to Him went out to seize Him; they said indeed He is out of His mind."

    Here the NASV is closest to the Greek

    New American Standard Bible
    When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, "He has lost His senses."

    Since Christ's family is mentioned later on -- "there came THEN..." -- (v. 31), "His own people" could mean "friends" or simply people from Capernaum or from Nazareth. So it would have been best to translate this as "His own people" (which is vague but matches Scripture).
    Indeed brother that is the best answer that can be drawn from that, for his His own people can mean either family, friends, deciples, so the best translation would be as you mentioned from NASV or the 1977 version.

    right on bro...
    1ofthem likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Family Or Friends Or?

    If your up to a challenge check out my (the rest of the story) thread.
    1ofthem likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Family Or Friends Or?

    Quite jubilant over your response Nehemiah6.
    1ofthem likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,291
    Rep Power
    91

    Default Re: Family Or Friends Or?

    Quote Originally Posted by IamWhoIam View Post
    working on my little project, I'm curious what do people think is the correct answer was the people that heard, Jesus family or His friends or both or His Deciples.

    New International Version
    When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, "He is out of his mind."

    New Living Translation
    When his family heard what was happening, they tried to take him away. "He's out of his mind," they said.

    English Standard Version
    And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.”

    Berean Study Bible
    When His family heard about this, they went out to take custody of Him, saying, "He is out of His mind."

    Berean Literal Bible
    And those belonging to Him having heard, went out to seize Him; for they were saying, "He is out of His mind."

    New American Standard Bible
    When His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, "He has lost His senses."

    King James Bible
    And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    Holman Christian Standard Bible
    When His family heard this, they set out to restrain Him, because they said, "He's out of His mind."

    International Standard Version
    When his family heard about it, they went to restrain him, because they kept saying, "He's out of his mind!"

    NET Bible
    When his family heard this they went out to restrain him, for they said, "He is out of his mind."

    New Heart English Bible
    And when his family heard it, they went out to take charge of him: for they said, "He is out of his mind."

    Aramaic Bible in Plain English
    And his relatives heard and they went out to take hold of him, for they were saying, “He has gone out of his mind.”

    GOD'S WORD® Translation
    When his family heard about it, they went to get him. They said, "He's out of his mind!"

    New American Standard 1977
    And when His own people heard of this, they went out to take custody of Him; for they were saying, “He has lost His senses.”

    Jubilee Bible 2000
    And when his friends and family heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him; for they said, He is beside himself.

    King James 2000 Bible
    And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    American King James Version
    And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    American Standard Version
    And when his friends heard it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    Douay-Rheims Bible
    And when his friends had heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him. For they said: He is become mad.

    Darby Bible Translation
    And his relatives having heard [of it] went out to lay hold on him, for they said, He is out of his mind.

    English Revised Version
    And when his friends heard it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    Webster's Bible Translation
    And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

    Weymouth New Testament
    Hearing of this, His relatives came to seize Him by force, for they said, "He is out of his mind."

    World English Bible
    When his friends heard it, they went out to seize him: for they said, "He is insane."

    Young's Literal Translation
    and his friends having heard, went forth to lay hold on him, for they said that he was beside himself,


    The Greek is οἰ παρ᾿ literally 'those near Him'. This allows a lot of freedom of interpretation. IMO it means what it says 'those standing nearby'.
    1ofthem and IamWhoIam like this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  8. #8
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Family Or Friends Or?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    The Greek is οἰ παρ᾿ literally 'those near Him'. This allows a lot of freedom of interpretation. IMO it means what it says 'those standing nearby'.
    that is another good one as well, though my only opinion on that is the rest of the wording, it appears either they were in a place and came out to him or they came to him, or could be that YLT says (went forth) and might be a more literal meaning of being some what close.
    1ofthem likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. A prayer for my friends family
    By rk6033 in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 27th, 2016, 12:25 AM
  2. Please pray for my family and friends
    By ILoveJesus12121212 in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 29th, 2015, 05:04 PM
  3. Friends family
    By Genp in forum Prayer Requests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 14th, 2013, 08:24 PM
  4. Making New Friends and New Family
    By WorldOfJesusChrist in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
  5. hi friends and family here.
    By Eugene in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 6th, 2012, 01:15 AM