Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By IamWhoIam
  • 2 Post By Nehemiah6
  • 1 Post By NayborBear
  • 1 Post By phil36

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: The Rest of The Story?

  1. #1
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default The Rest of The Story?

    Something else I'm wondering, maybe someone can help me out, where did Jesus cry out, because in 12:36 Jesus left and hid himself from them, then there is a complete narrative from verse 37 to verse 43 high lighted in red below then the story picks back up again yet all of a sudden then Jesus cries out, seems there is a missing link possibly the rest that is suppose to be where the narrative is or after the narrative statements or before.

    Any thoughts on where this might be in the other gospel or what?



    Jh 12:36 Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.


    Jh 12:37 Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him.
    Jh 12:38 This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:“Lord, who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”
    Jh 12:39 For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:
    Jh 12:40 “He has blinded their eyes, and hardened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn and I would heal them.”
    Jh 12:41 Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus’ glory and spoke about him.
    Jh 12:42 Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue;
    Jh 12:43 for they loved human praise more than praise from God.


    Jh 12:44 Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me.
    1ofthem likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: The Rest of The Story?

    Ahh, how about those with bible degrees with many years of studying the bible should know this a Right??

  3. #3
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: The Rest of The Story?

    This one is going to take a little studying to find just where it is. enjoy

  4. #4
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,291
    Rep Power
    91

    Default Re: The Rest of The Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by IamWhoIam View Post
    Something else I'm wondering, maybe someone can help me out, where did Jesus cry out, because in 12:36 Jesus left and hid himself from them, then there is a complete narrative from verse 37 to verse 43 high lighted in red below then the story picks back up again yet all of a sudden then Jesus cries out, seems there is a missing link possibly the rest that is suppose to be where the narrative is or after the narrative statements or before.

    Any thoughts on where this might be in the other gospel or what?



    Jh 12:36 Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.


    Jh 12:37 Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him.
    Jh 12:38 This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:“Lord, who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”
    Jh 12:39 For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:
    Jh 12:40 “He has blinded their eyes, and hardened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn and I would heal them.”
    Jh 12:41 Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus’ glory and spoke about him.
    Jh 12:42 Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue;
    Jh 12:43 for they loved human praise more than praise from God.


    Jh 12:44 Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me.
    Jesus cried out because He was addressing His words to the hostile unbelieving crowd.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    75
    Posts
    2,227
    Rep Power
    78

    Default Re: The Rest of The Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by IamWhoIam View Post
    Something else I'm wondering, maybe someone can help me out, where did Jesus cry out, because in 12:36 Jesus left and hid himself from them, then there is a complete narrative from verse 37 to verse 43 high lighted in red below then the story picks back up again yet all of a sudden then Jesus cries out, seems there is a missing link possibly the rest that is suppose to be where the narrative is or after the narrative statements or before.
    There's no missing link. Verses 37-43 should be treated as parenthetical, and the words of Christ from verses 44-50 are a continuation of His saying from verses 35 and 36. It is after these sayings that Christ hid Himself.

    So the way to read this is: While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me. I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness...

    IamWhoIam and Speak2Me like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,216
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: The Rest of The Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    There's no missing link. Verses 37-43 should be treated as parenthetical, and the words of Christ from verses 44-50 are a continuation of His saying from verses 35 and 36. It is after these sayings that Christ hid Himself.

    So the way to read this is: While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, but on him that sent me.And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me. I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness...

    Thats pretty close, actually in John is the latter part of when Jesus first starting teaching about the crucifixion, the other three canons speaks of this as well, most of that is right before John when Jesus fed the five thousand then spoke to His deciples and the crowd.

    In John the order of verses is like so.

    Jh12:27 “Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.


    Jh12:44 Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me.
    Jh12:45 The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me.


    Jh12:28 Father, glorify your name!”Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.”
    Jh12:29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him.
    Jh12:30 Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine.


    Jh12:46 I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.
    Jh12:47 “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.
    Jh12:48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.
    Jh12:49 For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken.
    Jh12:50 I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”


    Jh12:31 Now is the time for judgment on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out.
    Jh12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”
    Jh12:33 He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.
    Jh12:34 The crowd spoke up, “We have heard from the Law that the Messiah will remain forever, so how can you say, ‘The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this ‘Son of Man’?”
    Jh12:35 Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going.
    Jh12:36 Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.
    Last edited by IamWhoIam; October 13th, 2017 at 08:28 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2015
    Age
    65
    Posts
    823
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: The Rest of The Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by IamWhoIam View Post
    Something else I'm wondering, maybe someone can help me out, where did Jesus cry out, because in 12:36 Jesus left and hid himself from them, then there is a complete narrative from verse 37 to verse 43 high lighted in red below then the story picks back up again yet all of a sudden then Jesus cries out, seems there is a missing link possibly the rest that is suppose to be where the narrative is or after the narrative statements or before.

    Any thoughts on where this might be in the other gospel or what?



    Jh 12:36 Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them.


    Jh 12:37 Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him.
    Jh 12:38 This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:“Lord, who has believed our message
    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”
    Jh 12:39 For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:
    Jh 12:40 “He has blinded their eyes, and hardened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn and I would heal them.”
    Jh 12:41 Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus’ glory and spoke about him.
    Jh 12:42 Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue;
    Jh 12:43 for they loved human praise more than praise from God.


    Jh 12:44 Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me.
    To me, the verses you highlighted, is a "parenthetical hind sighted commentary, or explanation" offering proof, that Jesus was who He said He was/IS! and the WHY what happened to Jesus, happened! Or? The "ringing out", of the Old covenant, and the "ringing IN, the New Covenant!

    It also could be something "physical". Like a "mis-arrangement" of the scrolls' "pieceing" together.
    Last edited by NayborBear; October 13th, 2017 at 10:14 AM.
    IamWhoIam likes this.
    (Cutting through the chaff)

    "You GO Lord Of The Harvest!"




  8. #8
    Senior Member phil36's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,813
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: The Rest of The Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by IamWhoIam View Post
    Ahh, how about those with bible degrees with many years of studying the bible should know this a Right??

    Sometimes when we think we are smart, we fall flat on our faces, and end up looking very silly. Been here and done it.
    MarcR likes this.
    Soli Deo Gloria

    "After all, there is a Protestantism still worth contending for, there is a Calvinism still worth proclaiming, and a gospel well worth dying for" - C H Spurgeon



    • "What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

Similar Threads

  1. Benghazi, the Rest of the Story
    By crossnote in forum Christian News Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: July 5th, 2016, 12:21 PM
  2. Replies: 57
    Last Post: August 25th, 2015, 01:22 AM
  3. REST IN HIS REST Pt.4 *THE FORCE OF GRACE*
    By Jenning in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 29th, 2015, 04:55 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 8th, 2013, 07:33 PM
  5. Creation vs Formed and the rest of the story?
    By WomanLovesTX in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM