Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 253
Like Tree579Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Why Here in the BDF?

  1. #61
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,842
    Rep Power
    181

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    i'd like the coffee mug that says "in the morning when i rise give me Jesus"

    always loved that song. and after all, one must have coffee.

    thx for the heads up, P4T. will put the film (and mug! lol) on my Christmas list.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Bogadile's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2014
    Age
    25
    Posts
    717
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Oh the irony, calvinism is a fairly new development, nobody believed it until recently. Both Luther and Calvin were heavily influenced by Augustine, and we get most of our western theology from him. Theology of the times.
    That is why they held on to so many catholic practices, because Augustine held to the same. The interesting thing when studying Church history is that the Roman Catholics consider Augustine a saint, yet they do not share his beliefs on predestination, rather strange.


    All this to say, stop the "we follow Scripture, you follow tradition" nonsense. It is absolutely ridicilous. The early church just did not understand predestination the way you do, deal with reality.
    MarcR and Speak2Me like this.

  3. #63
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    772
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    i'd like the coffee mug that says "in the morning when i rise give me Jesus"

    always loved that song. and after all, one must have coffee.

    thx for the heads up, P4T. will put the film (and mug! lol) on my Christmas list.
    1ofthem and notmyown like this.

  4. #64
    Senior Member 1ofthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2016
    Age
    37
    Posts
    900
    Rep Power
    45

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7seasrekeyed View Post
    I can hear Calvin now:

    'I can't get no respect!'

    snicker
    Well, Im'ma bout to give him all my money so all I'm askin is a lil respect from him... LOL


    Just kidding y'all hope y'uns enjoy the movie, the party gifts, and memorabilia...

  5. #65
    Senior Member notmyown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2016
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,842
    Rep Power
    181

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1ofthem View Post
    Well, Im'ma bout to give him all my money so all I'm askin is a lil respect from him... LOL

    Just kidding y'all hope y'uns enjoy the movie, the party gifts, and memorabilia...
    lovely parting gifts? lol

    just Jesus... give me Jesus.

  6. #66
    Senior Member 1ofthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2016
    Age
    37
    Posts
    900
    Rep Power
    45

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    lovely parting gifts? lol

    just Jesus... give me Jesus.
    Amen sister...

    And I really wasn't sure if it was parting or partying...LOL I'm being a little silly today

  7. #67
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,700
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    All you who think that Calvinism is biblically correct what do you do with Gen 3:22?

    Ge 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    The bible is a mirror not a magnifying glass
    use it to examine yourself not others.

  8. #68
    Senior Member IamWhoIam's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    772
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by notmyown View Post
    lovely parting gifts? lol

    just Jesus... give me Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ofthem View Post
    Amen sister...

    And I really wasn't sure if it was parting or partying...LOL I'm being a little silly today
    You women just,

    1ofthem likes this.

  9. #69
    Senior Member 1ofthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2016
    Age
    37
    Posts
    900
    Rep Power
    45

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by IamWhoIam View Post
    You women just,

    You know me all too well...LOL
    IamWhoIam likes this.

  10. #70
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,623
    Rep Power
    93

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogadile View Post
    Oh the irony, calvinism is a fairly new development, nobody believed it until recently. Both Luther and Calvin were heavily influenced by Augustine, and we get most of our western theology from him. Theology of the times.
    That is why they held on to so many catholic practices, because Augustine held to the same. The interesting thing when studying Church history is that the Roman Catholics consider Augustine a saint, yet they do not share his beliefs on predestination, rather strange.


    All this to say, stop the "we follow Scripture, you follow tradition" nonsense. It is absolutely ridicilous. The early church just did not understand predestination the way you do, deal with reality.
    uh....lollllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    You don't know what you're talking about.
    SovereignGrace likes this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    5,227
    Rep Power
    133

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    ACTS 11:26.
    And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that
    a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people.
    And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

    11Peter 3:18.
    But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
    To Him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

    MATT. 4:19.
    And He saith unto them, Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.

  12. #72
    Senior Member notuptome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2013
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,700
    Rep Power
    127

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    uh....lollllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    You don't know what you're talking about.
    Says the pot to the kettle.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    1ofthem, IamWhoIam and Speak2Me like this.
    The bible is a mirror not a magnifying glass
    use it to examine yourself not others.

  13. #73
    Senior Member Reborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2014
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,981
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hizikyah View Post
    Are you a Calvinist?
    Lol.

    Of course P4T is, Hiz. Don't you see how he flashes his card around the forums?
    All that love?


    Anyone who defends him obviously hasn't read his posts where he bashes the younger members or anyone who might be struggling with their walk.
    It's classy.( l'm not sure if most Calvinists are that way, ...l also can see why some would be though.)

    If he responds to this...watch him defend his actions as he takes a smug jab at me.


    l was hoping maybe he was here, like most of us, to learn a little, politely discuss topics with others...all brothers and sisters...all of us have areas where we can improve. Myself included.

    ...it's obvious he does read the Bible...sadly, he just doesn't seem to understand it very well.
    1ofthem, 7seasrekeyed and Speak2Me like this.
    Imagine.


  14. #74
    Senior Member Bogadile's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2014
    Age
    25
    Posts
    717
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Lol.

    Of course P4T is, Hiz. Don't you see how he flashes his card around the forums?
    All that love?


    Anyone who defends him obviously hasn't read his posts where he bashes the younger members or anyone who might be struggling with their walk.
    It's classy.( l'm not sure if most Calvinists are that way, ...l also can see why some would be though.)

    If he responds to this...watch him defend his actions as he takes a smug jab at me.


    l was hoping maybe he was here, like most of us, to learn a little, politely discuss topics with others...all brothers and sisters...all of us have areas where we can improve. Myself included.

    ...it's obvious he does read the Bible...sadly, he just doesn't seem to understand it very well.
    Yup, finally someone gets it, notice how preacherfor"truth" responded to my historical FACTS FACTS FACTS that he cannot deal with, just said "lollzz".
    After you said this, you can get ready for the usual low-testosterone victim syndrome complaining about "false witness" "i let you have the last word". Alternatively he might pull out the "roleplaying James White as a grown man on the internet" card and acting like a concerned pastor "standing for truth" This guy is a talking meme really. The pattern is easy to spot, almost like a bot. I fell for it a couple of times too, and have seen multiple other people fall for the trap. Pretty sure he is just trolling.
    Reborn and 1ofthem like this.

  15. #75
    Senior Member Marano's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2011
    Age
    22
    Posts
    370
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    Are you able to order it where you live?
    I am not sure.

  16. #76
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,623
    Rep Power
    93

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marano View Post
    I am not sure.
    Click on Calvinist Movie in the op or go to calvinistmovie.com and see bro.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

  17. #77
    Senior Member phil36's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,418
    Rep Power
    51

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    All you who think that Calvinism is biblically correct what do you do with Gen 3:22?

    Ge 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger

    The Fall was a terrible thing..where mans nature was no longer the same, hence 'The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.' And spiritual dead and even hostile towards God ((thats all humans)Eph 2:1ff; Rom 8:7-8).

    Therefore, no man seeks after God, and each man/woman is responsible for their own actions. I amazed and humbled with God's grace, that He actually chose to save anyone. Some would say this is unfair, but it is only unfair according to 'Me' for 'I' decide if 'I' will be saved. Yet, the bible teaches to contrary and Paul answers this very question:

    You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?” On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it? Rom 9:19-20)


    Does the scripture not describe about those who complain that God chooses who will be saved (2 Tim 1:9; Acts 13:48; Acts 16:14 etc etc etc).


    Last edited by phil36; 1 Week Ago at 01:02 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria

    "After all, there is a Protestantism still worth contending for, there is a Calvinism still worth proclaiming, and a gospel well worth dying for" - C H Spurgeon



    • "What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

  18. #78
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,215
    Rep Power
    116

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by preacher4truth View Post
    I respectfully disagree due to the fact these read Scripture via tradition and don't employ proper contextual exegesis, which is witnessed on here and elsewhere perpetually.

    I've yet to witness, after many watched debates, podcasts, read books, any one person who is anti-cal come close to refuting the Doctrines of Grace or TULIP with contextually exegeted Scripture.

    Typically those who set out to refute merely run to another text of Scripture in lieu of giving proper exegesis of the one being debated. Then there is also the philosophical and sentimental arguments that are offered instead of Scripture. The Scriptures these employ are taken out of proper context and are generally 2 Peter 3:9, 1 Timothy 2:4 and the big whammy, John 3:16. Oh, also Matthew 22:37.


    There are highly educated biblical scholars on both sides of this debate... we might do well not to sweep one side under the rug so quickly.

    Also, your opposition can make all of the IDENTICAL claims about your approach: that you use incorrect exegesis based upon weak hermeneutics, and that the reformed approach is based too heavily in philosophy rather than scripture.


    In this particular debate, we might do well to be a bit more patient and respectful of our opposition.

  19. #79
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,215
    Rep Power
    116

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    I'm not making the claim here that the reformed position is ultimately incorrect.

    I'm making the claim that both sides can be debated and defended quite rigorously, and HAVE been, for hundreds of years, by great men of faith.



    In this particular debate, BOTH sides might do well to maintain some respect, and appreciation, for their brethren on the opposition.


    God Bless
    notmyown likes this.

  20. #80
    Senior Member preacher4truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 28th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,623
    Rep Power
    93

    Default Re: Why Here in the BDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogadile View Post
    notice how preacherfor"truth" responded to my historical FACTS FACTS FACTS that he cannot deal with, just said "lollzz".
    Really now? Can you point us to your "facts" below?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogadile View Post
    Oh the irony, calvinism is a fairly new development, nobody believed it until recently.
    LOL!!!!!!!! Anyhow, continue your drivel:

    Both Luther and Calvin were heavily influenced by Augustine, and we get most of our western theology from him.
    OH NO!!!!!!!!! And this is a bad thing, why?

    Theology of the times.
    Yours is of the "more recent times" and heavily influenced by a few, um, heretics.

    That is why they held on to so many catholic practices, because Augustine held to the same. The interesting thing when studying Church history is that the Roman Catholics consider Augustine a saint, yet they do not share his beliefs on predestination, rather strange.
    So MANY Catholic practices eh? Of course the RCC doesn't agree with predestination, it doesn't believe that part of Scripture, nor do you, because your theology is pretty much all new and rejects the true Gospel for a truncated version.

    All this to say, stop the "we follow Scripture, you follow tradition" nonsense. It is absolutely ridicilous. The early church just did not understand predestination the way you do, deal with reality.
    Hmmmm....Calvinism is a "fairly new development" eh? OK.

    You do follow tradition, not exegeted Scripture, and the decisional regeneration you've bought into was introduced by C G Finney and Robert Sandeman. You're a "verse-ologist" and loathe exegesis and the true Gospel and all it entails, including proper and biblically defined foreknowledge, predestination, election, God's Sovereignty.

    And you say "Calvinism" is new? Everything in Calvinism is from biblical exegesis. Your decisional regeneration? Not so much and it's been around for only a couple hundred years or so.

    I bet you also believe in the dichotomy of a believer and disciple, yes? Do tell.

    Anyhow, go fetch some facts to back up your claims above, I'm seeing little to none.
    Angela53510 likes this.
    People are offended that God is God.

    Oh, my brethren! bold-hearted men are always called mean-spirited by cowards. - Charles Spurgeon

    I threw out the writings of Moses because he killed that Egyptian guy.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast