Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 223
Like Tree238Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

  1. #21
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,677
    Rep Power
    125

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    No, it is not a sin. Even if it were a sin, it is not nearly as bad as other things that are expressly listed as sins. What about gluttony? That one is way worse, yet I am sure there are scads of gluttons here- myself included. As far as I can tell, masturbation hurts NO ONE, while gluttony is detrimental to health, and therefore families are affected as they have to take care of people who prematurely ruined their health.
    Marcelo and beastslayer1970 like this.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  2. #22
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,677
    Rep Power
    125

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by GracethroughfaithinChrist View Post
    Ephesians 5:3
    But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints.
    Sexual immorality is kind of vague. What I think is immoral, may not what you think is immoral and vice versa. Whatever married people do together is permitted, in my opinion and not immoral. Others may think otherwise.
    beastslayer1970 likes this.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    Because we know that sex with a spouse is not a sin, and masturbation is uncleanness and a sin. Do we have to be married to discern this from scripture?
    Masturbation with your spouse is not sin and neither is oral sex.

    Fornication, bestiality and Adultery are sin.
    Galatea likes this.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    I agree, as disciples of Christ were married, and nowhere in scripture does it say religious figures shouldn't marry. They did it so they would have to devout and leave all their resources to the church, greedy and counterproductive to creating competent leaders. You avoided my point however.
    The Apostle Paul says you are wrong.

    1 Cor 7:7-9
    7 Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. 8 But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. 9 But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

    The above passage is why the RCC instituted the marriage ban on Priests.


    Do you want to continue playing this game or can we stop?

  5. #25
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    No, it is not a sin. Even if it were a sin, it is not nearly as bad as other things that are expressly listed as sins. What about gluttony? That one is way worse, yet I am sure there are scads of gluttons here- myself included. As far as I can tell, masturbation hurts NO ONE, while gluttony is detrimental to health, and therefore families are affected as they have to take care of people who prematurely ruined their health.
    Masturbation hurts your mind and body, and everyone you interact with in this lessened version of yourself. Do we determine we can sin because some sins are worse than others?


    I understand the surgeon general came out or whatever and said it was healthy, and I was even taught it was healthy in my sex ed class in college, but these people aren't seeing the bigger picture of the mind and body relationship.

    I don't get too far into these teachings because they seem occultish and new agey but the message isn't. There is a chemical secreted by the medula that covers the spinal cord and then this reaction travels back up to your "brain". In order for your medula to secrete this chemical you cannot abuse/squander sex, masturbate or have excessive sex.

    So by abstaining you actually receive health benefits to your mind and body that far outweigh the temporary relief of masturbation, and it will take more than a week, two, or maybe three to begin fully seeing these benefits. A healthier mind not fixated on sex is one benefit, another is a healthier spine with less tension and more feeling.


    I'm uncomfortable with the direct symbolism they use with the story of Christ, but there really are 33 vertebrate and 12 cranial nerves. The big is the small in a sense, doesn't undermine either from being true.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    Sexual immorality is kind of vague. What I think is immoral, may not what you think is immoral and vice versa. Whatever married people do together is permitted, in my opinion and not immoral. Others may think otherwise.
    totally agree.

    1 Cor 7:1-7

    Now concerning the things about which you wrote, it is good for a man not to touch a woman. 2 But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband. 3 The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But this I say by way of concession, not of command. 7 Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that.
    Galatea likes this.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Galatea's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3,677
    Rep Power
    125

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    Masturbation hurts your mind and body, and everyone you interact with in this lessened version of yourself. Do we determine we can sin because some sins are worse than others?


    I understand the surgeon general came out or whatever and said it was healthy, and I was even taught it was healthy in my sex ed class in college, but these people aren't seeing the bigger picture of the mind and body relationship.

    I don't get too far into these teachings because they seem occultish and new agey but the message isn't. There is a chemical secreted by the medula that covers the spinal cord and then this reaction travels back up to your "brain". In order for your medula to secrete this chemical you cannot abuse/squander sex, masturbate or have excessive sex.

    So by abstaining you actually receive health benefits to your mind and body that far outweigh the temporary relief of masturbation, and it will take more than a week, two, or maybe three to begin fully seeing these benefits. A healthier mind not fixated on sex is one benefit, another is a healthier spine with less tension and more feeling.


    I'm uncomfortable with the direct symbolism they use with the story of Christ, but there really are 33 vertebrate and 12 cranial nerves. The big is the small in a sense, doesn't undermine either from being true.
    What in the world?! Some kind of mumbo jumbo. Clearly, it is a sin for you- don’t do it, then.

    I think it is worse for people psychologically if they don’t, and then metaphorically beat themselves for having a human body that was given a God given desire for intimacy.
    beastslayer1970 likes this.
    Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    Masturbation hurts your mind and body, and everyone you interact with in this lessened version of yourself. Do we determine we can sin because some sins are worse than others?


    I understand the surgeon general came out or whatever and said it was healthy, and I was even taught it was healthy in my sex ed class in college, but these people aren't seeing the bigger picture of the mind and body relationship.

    I don't get too far into these teachings because they seem occultish and new agey but the message isn't. There is a chemical secreted by the medula that covers the spinal cord and then this reaction travels back up to your "brain". In order for your medula to secrete this chemical you cannot abuse/squander sex, masturbate or have excessive sex.

    So by abstaining you actually receive health benefits to your mind and body that far outweigh the temporary relief of masturbation, and it will take more than a week, two, or maybe three to begin fully seeing these benefits. A healthier mind not fixated on sex is one benefit, another is a healthier spine with less tension and more feeling.


    I'm uncomfortable with the direct symbolism they use with the story of Christ, but there really are 33 vertebrate and 12 cranial nerves. The big is the small in a sense, doesn't undermine either from being true.
    Are you stating even mutual masturbation between married couples is sin?

  9. #29
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,155
    Rep Power
    165

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    If this detracts ignore please.

    what about wet dreams?
    tourist likes this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  10. #30
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    Masturbation with your spouse is not sin and neither is oral sex.

    Fornication, bestiality and Adultery are sin.
    Great, this discussion is talking about the solo kind.

    And you still haven't addressed my initial point of you telling people they are disqualified to discuss these issues if unmarried:
    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    You have no spouse so how would you know.

    which you yourself are doing now
    .

    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    The Apostle Paul says you are wrong.

    1 Cor 7:7-9
    7 Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that. 8 But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. 9 But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

    The above passage is why the RCC instituted the marriage ban on Priests.


    Do you want to continue playing this game or can we stop?
    I want to play. Paul didn't say religious figures should be banned from marriage, he said if they have the desire to it is better for them to marry than to not. There is no justification for banning marriage.

    Christ had a discussion with his disciples about this in Matthew 19. After hearing that it was a sin to divorce your wife and also it causes her to sin, they asked if it were better not to marry to avoid this. And Christ simply told them that it this saying "it is better not to marry" is not for everyone but those who can handle it, mirrored by Paul's teaching about those burning with desire should marry.

    7They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? 8He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. 9And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. 10His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry. 11But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given. 12

    So instituted a ban for EVERYONE, even though it is not for everyone, doesn't have justification.

  11. #31
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    What in the world?! Some kind of mumbo jumbo. Clearly, it is a sin for you- don’t do it, then.

    I think it is worse for people psychologically if they don’t, and then metaphorically beat themselves for having a human body that was given a God given desire for intimacy.
    I had the same thought of "mumbo jumbo" when you began justifying masturbation by saying it wasn't a sin and that there were worse sins to commit.

    I tried to show you the bigger picture of abstinence from a physiological perspective, but you prefer the temporary relief and to classify it as "not a sin".

  12. #32
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    Are you stating even mutual masturbation between married couples is sin?
    You would love if I said that, because that would give you ground to stand on and be right instead of continually ignoring what I say.

    No, I don't think a married couple are sinning with this act.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    You would love if I said that, because that would give you ground to stand on and be right instead of continually ignoring what I say.

    No, I don't think a married couple are sinning with this act.
    then stop posting mumbo jumbo saying it is.

  14. #34
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    What in the world?! Some kind of mumbo jumbo. Clearly, it is a sin for you- don’t do it, then.

    I think it is worse for people psychologically if they don’t, and then metaphorically beat themselves for having a human body that was given a God given desire for intimacy.
    That God given desire for intimacy is so you go out into the world instead of satisfying yourself, look for love, get married, and fruitfully multiply. Masterbation spoils the fruit as well.

    It's not a sin for me and not for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    masturbation hurts NO ONE, while gluttony is detrimental to health.
    It's detrimental to your health, but anything that supports this is "mumbo jumbo".
    Last edited by pckts; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:56 PM.

  15. #35
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    then stop posting mumbo jumbo saying it is.
    This thread is clearly to discuss if completing the act solo is bad, you think you are helping by saying it's ok for couples but you are missing the entire point of the discussion and removing all meaning from it.

    What point do you think you are proving by saying married couples can do it, in a discussion about if single people can?
    Last edited by pckts; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:58 PM.

  16. #36
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    If this detracts ignore please.

    what about wet dreams?
    If having lust or hatred in your heart is a sin, having it in a dream probably is too.
    Last edited by pckts; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:02 PM.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    This thread is clearly to discuss if completing the act solo is bad, you think you are helping by saying it's ok for couples but you are missing the entire point of the discussion and removing all meaning from it.
    Even if solo masturbation without being married is a SIN to you, that is your conviction. Stop posting absurd scare tactics about how your mind will explode and body will die to enforce your convictions onto others.

    Looking at porn and masturbating while single is fornication, looking at porn and masturbating while married and keeping it from your spouse is adultery[this goes for you to ladies]

    Masturbating while single without using porn is up to the Holy Spirit and the individual, not your personal convictions.

    Watching porn together as a married couple and also mutually masturbating is up to that Couple and the Holy Spirit.

    BTW, did you ever stop to consider that the little chart you put up there would also cause the same issues with vaginal intercourse? Nothing changes in your little chart or scenario just because a hand or partner is not involved.

    Do you see the lunacy of your posts?

    If you masturbate alone all this stuff happens to your head and body, but some how vaginal missionary intercourse does not do all those things only because we are being fruitful, multiplying and doing it right and proper.

    BUNK pure religious contradictory BUNK!
    Last edited by beastslayer1970; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:11 PM.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    47
    Posts
    337
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by pckts View Post
    If having lust or hatred in your heart is a sin, having it in a dream probably is too.
    James 1:13-16 proves you wrong here as well. A SIN is an active thought and choice, not subconscious

  19. #39
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    Masturbating while single without using porn is up to the Holy Spirit and the individual, not your personal convictions.
    Well I'm glad I know where you stand on the issue. Looking at women with lust in your imagination is a sin, I don't think you are thinking about baseball scores.

    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    BTW, did you ever stop to consider that the little chart you put up there would also cause the same issues with vaginal intercourse? Nothing changes in your little chart or scenario just because a hand partner is not involved.

    Do you see the lunacy of your posts?
    When you are with a loving partner and you don't abuse sex excessively, it is healthy and the love and connection with a real person changes the entire experience, when you are by yourself looking at women in your imagination with lust you are abusing sex and satisfying your desires in a way and place not intended for your own good physically, mentally, emotionally or socially.

    The chart is to show you there is something to gain from abstinence, you will gain benefits that may even lead you to marriage.

  20. #40
    Senior Member pckts's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2017
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,138
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Question: "Masturbation - is it a sin according to the Bible?"

    Do as I say, not as I do? You are a funny character!


    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    Looking at porn and masturbating while single is fornication, looking at porn and masturbating while married and keeping it from your spouse is adultery[this goes for you to ladies]

    Masturbating while single without using porn is up to the Holy Spirit and the individual, not your personal convictions.

    Watching porn together as a married couple and also mutually masturbating is up to that Couple and the Holy Spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    you should stop any and all discussions even online about these topics, you have no experience in marriage or a marriage relationship and the counsel you give is fruitless to married and even single men & women.
    Quote Originally Posted by beastslayer1970 View Post
    You have no spouse so how would you know.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 10th, 2017, 07:29 PM
  2. Replies: 189
    Last Post: July 12th, 2016, 03:36 PM
  3. Will Kinney: Are King James Bible believers "a Cult" or "Idolaters"?
    By ChosenbyHim in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 30th, 2015, 06:13 PM
  4. Replies: 141
    Last Post: October 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM
  5. It's not a question of "free will", It's a question of "Ownership"
    By 2knowhim in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 15th, 2011, 12:12 AM