Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61
Like Tree74Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

  1. #21
    Senior Member 7seasrekeyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    It's nice to remember that, while on earth, Jesus preached salvation by the Law and after the cross He (through Paul) preached salvation by grace.

    seriously...not again!

    Jesus never preached salvation by the law. Why would He do that as it would fly against OT teaching, never mind the new

    no one was ever saved by the law and Jesus never taught that people were saved by the law because no one ever was nor was the law designed to save anyone!

    I wish, nay truly pray and hope, that people stop this nonsense about the law and Jesus

    Paul preached Jesus.

    the gospel is constantly attacked from the inside out through ignorance, superstition and just plain not understanding the doctrines of the Bible

    Jesus and Paul did not teach 2 different things and it is heresy to say they did

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    29
    Posts
    194
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennEd View Post
    It seems we have some letter of the law people here. So if that's how you want to play, let's look at that letter.

    Apparently divorce is just fine with this group IF the spouse you want to divorce has committed adultery. Some on CC don't even want to give the offended spouse the opportunity to forgive the spouse that cheated even if they ask for forgiveness and repent. Ahhh.... you want out of a marriage and your spouse has just given you a free pass to split and marry someone else.

    But we know Jesus has said that to look on someone, even for a split-second, with lust IS THE SAME THING as committing adultery. So that little glance he/she just gave some very attractive person is Biblical reason enough to divorce and remarry.

    Ridiculous you say? Hey... that's not me saying that glance is adultery, that's Jesus our Savior!

    Letter of the law is just legalism in a fig leaf skirt.

    Keep your eyes focused on Jesus, NOT the law. He has given us Grace. Remarry if He is putting it on your heart, and glorify Him in all things.
    I whole-heartedly agree with this, but there are so many other things to look at and consider. The biggest problem I believe with marriage and younger crowds in this day and age is not keeping God first or in the center of the marriage to start, and on another token, we are living in a society where it's "acceptable" to wear anything and everything you want out in public, and even worse, to the house of God.....God forbid as Paul says. I admire the Christians of old and the ones we knew growing up who worked for their marriages and everything around them, because I could clearly see how God was blessing those marriages and yes even in their tribulations, I saw so many blessings. I go to church with a young man who was married to a woman for at least 3 years, and had a daughter with her. Now they are divorced, and the reason being from her side that she quote "Didn't want to be married to a police officer anymore" Now that family is torn apart, but I see still this young man at church regularly and she is nowhere to be found. I am no judge by no means, but where are the fruits?? Jesus said there are two ways a person can be divorced. One, is by the other committing adultery, and what's even more, is if a man or woman were to marry an adulterous man or woman, then THEY would be committing adultery. And the ONLY other way or bill of divorcement Jesus said was plausible, was if the man or the woman in that marriage passed away. Then, that person could re-marry. But marriage is a life long thing, it's a commitment you take before, not only just your friends and family, but before God Almighty that you will take the woman or man He has blessed you with in your life and cherish them and comfort them, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others. What's sad is these vows continually get broken, and then we accept those divorcements like they are ok......It's not an issue of the head, it's definitely an issue of the heart. If before you wed you feel that person isn't right for you, then by all means, tell them about it if the Lord moves you on it. But if you truly love that person and want to marry them, stick with them! Work it out! I've seen marriages where the other person cheated, BUT they found it in their heart to forgive that person and reconcile and go on to have an exceptionally honorable and blessed marriage. Some of the happiest people I have ever known have been married 30, 40, 50, even 60 years, and their marriages weren't perfect, but one thing that stayed common with all those marriages, they kept God at the forefront, and He continually blessed them, with longevity, wisdom, love and passion, not only for the other person, but for Him as well. The main thing to understand is that marriage is a VERY serious thing. God does not take it lightly. Neither should we as Christians. I don't judge or condemn anyone that's gone through divorcement outside of what Christ outlined, but remember, Christ our Savior spoke on this matter, and He knows best. Christ will still love you no matter what, but when you think on divorcement, consider all of this before you break your vow and commitment, not just to those you love, but also to God.
    joaniemarie likes this.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,099
    Rep Power
    71

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by joaniemarie View Post
    I believe we can re marry because divorce is not an unforgivable sin with life time consequences of being single the rest of your life. This would mean that God is forcing upon us a consequence of a sin already forgiven. We will already be dealing with many natural consequences in our lives because of a divorce. The family is a mess., our relationships were destroyed and only Jesus can heal and restore such relationships. But they are not God's judgment on us. God told us long before that He hates divorce because He knows how much it will hurt us and our families. But should a person have gone this route in their lives., God forgives and seeks restoration in all areas. Jesus has made provision for all.

    This has nothing to do with a sexual predator who asks forgiveness and seeks to be restored to his previous position in the church (or in the world) as a children's Sunday school teacher or public school teacher. That has natural consequences of not being allowed near children. That person can be forgiven but cannot be reinstated and entrusted with little kids again. If that person has been forgiven., he can find other work to do that doesn't involve children.

    This is not so with divorce. (Although some would have it so) Restoration to a previous situation is not always a wise thing to do. And in the case of a predator I would say it would be fool hearty and irresponsible. Not so with remarriage as God makes no such condition on forgiveness or restoration. Divorced people are not criminals. And Jesus paid the price for all our sin and it's consequences. But there are natural consequences for our sin that will always come into play. But they are not God's judgment upon us so we would have to pay for our sins. Jesus has paid for all of them 100%.
    We should not be resisting the clear Word of God..

    Divorce is permissible when one of the married couple commits Adultery.. Once a person is divorced legally then they are free to seek to marry another..

    Divorce is also permitted if a Non believing husband or wife wishes to divorce a Christian.. Again once the divorce is finalized the Christian is free to seek another to marry..

    It is best to gain your guidance about divorce from the Bible.. Not from your own thinking or from denominations who seem to preach what ever seems right to them.. Trust only in the world of God and do not try to use human thinking to justify sin..
    MichaelOwen likes this.

  4. #24
    Senior Member PennEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2013
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,235
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    227

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7seasrekeyed View Post
    seriously...not again!

    Jesus never preached salvation by the law. Why would He do that as it would fly against OT teaching, never mind the new

    no one was ever saved by the law and Jesus never taught that people were saved by the law because no one ever was nor was the law designed to save anyone!

    I wish, nay truly pray and hope, that people stop this nonsense about the law and Jesus

    Paul preached Jesus.

    the gospel is constantly attacked from the inside out through ignorance, superstition and just plain not understanding the doctrines of the Bible

    Jesus and Paul did not teach 2 different things and it is heresy to say they did
    I think Jesus DID preach salvation by the Law. The caveat being that He knew NO ONE, past or future, could perfectly keep the Law. So He juxtaposed Salvation by the Law,(which is impossible) with Salvation by Grace through believing in Him.

    This is why so many, IMO, get some of His exchanges so wrong. Like the rich man who said he kept ALL the Law since his childhood. Jesus went right to his heart to illustrate that he DID NOT keep all the law, merely by the fact that he was rich. The poor were EVERYWHERE, yet he claimed to keep all the law while others around him were hungry and destitute?

  5. #25
    Senior Member 7seasrekeyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennEd View Post
    I think Jesus DID preach salvation by the Law. The caveat being that He knew NO ONE, past or future, could perfectly keep the Law. So He juxtaposed Salvation by the Law,(which is impossible) with Salvation by Grace through believing in Him.

    This is why so many, IMO, get some of His exchanges so wrong. Like the rich man who said he kept ALL the Law since his childhood. Jesus went right to his heart to illustrate that he DID NOT keep all the law, merely by the fact that he was rich. The poor were EVERYWHERE, yet he claimed to keep all the law while others around him were hungry and destitute?

    my question will continue to be how can you support that conclusion from scripture, when even the OT states otherwise?

    Jesus knew the law (that's an understatement) and we know the law was put in place to draw attention to sin (obviously my own words here lest someone come along and spank me for not saying it verbatim as has just recently happened and I sure do not mean you haha)

    anyway, this would be a major derail of this thread

    I was responding to Marcelo who, not long ago, made an entire thread about that very subject so I don't know why he carried it over here. at the time, he said he was only asking questions, but that was not my impression. it seems he is saying what is sadly becoming a popular theme, that what Jesus and Paul taught do not agree

    I think it best not to continue this question here, there is already a Marcelo thread on it. I object to the subject being brought into this thread.

    that being said, I think if the reasons for divorce were biblical in the first place, and I actually think that means more than adultery, that remarriage is not a problem



    I will say this though...if Jesus taught the law, why didn't he allow them to stone the woman caught in adultery?

    I'm not really asking...just something to think about
    PennEd likes this.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,391
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    To my knowledge if you spouse commit adultery or die you free to remarried.
    So during 10 years if your spouse remarried or die, mean you free to remarried, because if your spouse remarry mean he or she commit adultery


    But like brother PennEd say if one look other with lust, it is consider adultery, then divorce may ok and remarry may ok

    it it is not easy to understand

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,391
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    This is the dilemma

    if you divorce and remarriage mean commit adultery

    if if you alone and can not control your lust, you may commit adultery in your heart.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2017
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,828
    Rep Power
    86

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adstar View Post
    We should not be resisting the clear Word of God..

    Divorce is permissible when one of the married couple commits Adultery.. Once a person is divorced legally then they are free to seek to marry another..

    Divorce is also permitted if a Non believing husband or wife wishes to divorce a Christian.. Again once the divorce is finalized the Christian is free to seek another to marry..

    It is best to gain your guidance about divorce from the Bible.. Not from your own thinking or from denominations who seem to preach what ever seems right to them.. Trust only in the world of God and do not try to use human thinking to justify sin..

    I agree., our answers need to come from the Word of God. And I see that forgiveness is given in all areas as I posted. Did you read the other posts as well as the OP? Giving the Bible verses and the Scriptural principals about this subject. Forgiveness and grace are very difficult for humans to reason out without the help of the Holy Spirit.
    PennEd likes this.

  9. #29
    Senior Member PennEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2013
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,235
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    227

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7seasrekeyed View Post
    my question will continue to be how can you support that conclusion from scripture, when even the OT states otherwise?

    Jesus knew the law (that's an understatement) and we know the law was put in place to draw attention to sin (obviously my own words here lest someone come along and spank me for not saying it verbatim as has just recently happened and I sure do not mean you haha)

    anyway, this would be a major derail of this thread

    I was responding to Marcelo who, not long ago, made an entire thread about that very subject so I don't know why he carried it over here. at the time, he said he was only asking questions, but that was not my impression. it seems he is saying what is sadly becoming a popular theme, that what Jesus and Paul taught do not agree

    I think it best not to continue this question here, there is already a Marcelo thread on it. I object to the subject being brought into this thread.

    that being said, I think if the reasons for divorce were biblical in the first place, and I actually think that means more than adultery, that remarriage is not a problem



    I will say this though...if Jesus taught the law, why didn't he allow them to stone the woman caught in adultery?

    I'm not really asking...just something to think about
    I'm thinking Joannie might not have too much of a prob with a bit of a derail, especially since it still in a sense deals with the Grace we have in Christ. Sorry Joannie if it's not something you'd prefer.

    I want to be crystal clear here in saying NO ONE is going to be saved by the Law. And I believe Jesus taught just that.

    But He did use the Law, and the need to obey it perfectly, to show the Pharisees that they were hypocrites, because THEY did not obey it perfectly. IF someone COULD keep all the Law perfectly then they could attain salvation through the Law. In Matthew 5:20 Jesus is again setting an unattainable standard.
    20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

    He then goes to extreme examples of just how perfect we have to be to attain salvation through the Law, using anger at your brother equal to murder, and looking at someone with lust as adultery.

    The example of the adulterous woman, illustrates this point. He didn't disallow the pharisees to stone her, he merely pointed out that THEY deserved to die for their sins as well. Crystal clear distinction between the Law and Grace. The only perfect one there that could have picked up a rock and stoned them all was Jesus. BUT IF one of them didn't have Jesus flash in their minds all the sins they have committed, because they kept the Law perfectly, then they could have stoned her.

    So I think He did teach salvation by the Law, but the intent of teaching that was to illustrate that there was NO salvation by the Law that men could attain, and they need HIM for eternal life.

    Splitting hairs maybe, but I think He First had to lay out for them that the Law was perfect and Just and was the unattainable way to be saved, before He could give Himself as THE ONLY attainable Way.
    joaniemarie likes this.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2017
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,828
    Rep Power
    86

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOwen View Post
    I whole-heartedly agree with this, but there are so many other things to look at and consider. The biggest problem I believe with marriage and younger crowds in this day and age is not keeping God first or in the center of the marriage to start, and on another token, we are living in a society where it's "acceptable" to wear anything and everything you want out in public, and even worse, to the house of God.....God forbid as Paul says. I admire the Christians of old and the ones we knew growing up who worked for their marriages and everything around them, because I could clearly see how God was blessing those marriages and yes even in their tribulations, I saw so many blessings. I go to church with a young man who was married to a woman for at least 3 years, and had a daughter with her. Now they are divorced, and the reason being from her side that she quote "Didn't want to be married to a police officer anymore" Now that family is torn apart, but I see still this young man at church regularly and she is nowhere to be found. I am no judge by no means, but where are the fruits?? Jesus said there are two ways a person can be divorced. One, is by the other committing adultery, and what's even more, is if a man or woman were to marry an adulterous man or woman, then THEY would be committing adultery. And the ONLY other way or bill of divorcement Jesus said was plausible, was if the man or the woman in that marriage passed away. Then, that person could re-marry. But marriage is a life long thing, it's a commitment you take before, not only just your friends and family, but before God Almighty that you will take the woman or man He has blessed you with in your life and cherish them and comfort them, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others. What's sad is these vows continually get broken, and then we accept those divorcements like they are ok......It's not an issue of the head, it's definitely an issue of the heart. If before you wed you feel that person isn't right for you, then by all means, tell them about it if the Lord moves you on it. But if you truly love that person and want to marry them, stick with them! Work it out! I've seen marriages where the other person cheated, BUT they found it in their heart to forgive that person and reconcile and go on to have an exceptionally honorable and blessed marriage. Some of the happiest people I have ever known have been married 30, 40, 50, even 60 years, and their marriages weren't perfect, but one thing that stayed common with all those marriages, they kept God at the forefront, and He continually blessed them, with longevity, wisdom, love and passion, not only for the other person, but for Him as well. The main thing to understand is that marriage is a VERY serious thing. God does not take it lightly. Neither should we as Christians. I don't judge or condemn anyone that's gone through divorcement outside of what Christ outlined, but remember, Christ our Savior spoke on this matter, and He knows best. Christ will still love you no matter what, but when you think on divorcement, consider all of this before you break your vow and commitment, not just to those you love, but also to God.


    Yes., we live in such a throw away society. Divorce is so easy to get and teaching to stay committed is not the same as it used to be. I learned later after our divorce that marriage is a covenant. Not simply a contract but a covenant we enter into with one another and with God. The enemy of our souls hates us and uses our own sadness., selfishness and impatience against us. Most divorces like mine could have been avoided. But once a Christian makes the dreaded choice to divorce., they can't go back and fix it.

    There is great forgiveness in Christ. It took losing most of the dearest things in my life to show me that Jesus is even more dear for us. That His love and grace cover and take completely away a multitude of sin. I like what one of my favorite preachers said about Jesus.... those who trust Him wholly, find Him fully and wholly true. We can believe Him for very big things.

    P.S. It would help if you used paragraphs so your post would be easier to read.

    MichaelOwen likes this.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Marcelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    598
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7seasrekeyed View Post
    seriously...not again!
    Yes, I am serious! Jesus, while on earth, preached salvation by the Law. I've been a Christian for over 30 years and heard about it for the first time only some 6 months ago. I don't ask you to trust me -- I just suggest all of us should start reading the gospels all over again and see that Jesus was "fulfilling the Law" -- interpreting the Torah according to God's will.

    In the video below Joe Child clearly states that Jesus preached the Law while He was on earth.

    joaniemarie likes this.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2017
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,828
    Rep Power
    86

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennEd View Post
    I'm thinking Joannie might not have too much of a prob with a bit of a derail, especially since it still in a sense deals with the Grace we have in Christ. Sorry Joannie if it's not something you'd prefer.

    I want to be crystal clear here in saying NO ONE is going to be saved by the Law. And I believe Jesus taught just that.

    But He did use the Law, and the need to obey it perfectly, to show the Pharisees that they were hypocrites, because THEY did not obey it perfectly. IF someone COULD keep all the Law perfectly then they could attain salvation through the Law. In Matthew 5:20 Jesus is again setting an unattainable standard.
    20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

    He then goes to extreme examples of just how perfect we have to be to attain salvation through the Law, using anger at your brother equal to murder, and looking at someone with lust as adultery.

    The example of the adulterous woman, illustrates this point. He didn't disallow the pharisees to stone her, he merely pointed out that THEY deserved to die for their sins as well. Crystal clear distinction between the Law and Grace. The only perfect one there that could have picked up a rock and stoned them all was Jesus. BUT IF one of them didn't have Jesus flash in their minds all the sins they have committed, because they kept the Law perfectly, then they could have stoned her.

    So I think He did teach salvation by the Law, but the intent of teaching that was to illustrate that there was NO salvation by the Law that men could attain, and they need HIM for eternal life.

    Splitting hairs maybe, but I think He First had to lay out for them that the Law was perfect and Just and was the unattainable way to be saved, before He could give Himself as THE ONLY attainable Way.



    You are right Penn, not a derail at all. I agree with you too about how Jesus taught. He didn't tell those who wanted to stone the woman they couldn't. He did an amazing thing and used the law for the purpose it was intended. To show their sins clearly. Those men couldn't stone her after being challenged by Jesus that he who is without sin should cast the first stone. None could cast stones but Jesus and He wouldn't., even though He could and had every right to.

    Great post Penn., Jesus dealt with people where they were. He was careful not to preach against the law of Mosses at this time but He also clearly bought in forgiveness and grace as He dealt with the woman. Genius!
    PennEd likes this.

  13. #33
    Senior Member 7seasrekeyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by PennEd View Post
    I'm thinking Joannie might not have too much of a prob with a bit of a derail, especially since it still in a sense deals with the Grace we have in Christ. Sorry Joannie if it's not something you'd prefer.

    I want to be crystal clear here in saying NO ONE is going to be saved by the Law. And I believe Jesus taught just that.

    But He did use the Law, and the need to obey it perfectly, to show the Pharisees that they were hypocrites, because THEY did not obey it perfectly. IF someone COULD keep all the Law perfectly then they could attain salvation through the Law. In Matthew 5:20 Jesus is again setting an unattainable standard.
    20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

    He then goes to extreme examples of just how perfect we have to be to attain salvation through the Law, using anger at your brother equal to murder, and looking at someone with lust as adultery.

    The example of the adulterous woman, illustrates this point. He didn't disallow the pharisees to stone her, he merely pointed out that THEY deserved to die for their sins as well. Crystal clear distinction between the Law and Grace. The only perfect one there that could have picked up a rock and stoned them all was Jesus. BUT IF one of them didn't have Jesus flash in their minds all the sins they have committed, because they kept the Law perfectly, then they could have stoned her.

    So I think He did teach salvation by the Law, but the intent of teaching that was to illustrate that there was NO salvation by the Law that men could attain, and they need HIM for eternal life.

    Splitting hairs maybe, but I think He First had to lay out for them that the Law was perfect and Just and was the unattainable way to be saved, before He could give Himself as THE ONLY attainable Way.
    I seriously do not even know why you state this again? as I have never said otherwise

    but you did just state that Jesus taught salvation by the law and Paul by grace. come on now..see yr post 24...but then you try to qualify it in a way that seems a tad confused IMO.

    I think Jesus DID preach salvation by the Law. The caveat being that He knew NO ONE, past or future, could perfectly keep the Law. So He juxtaposed Salvation by the Law,(which is impossible) with Salvation by Grace through believing in Him.
    I actually believe you can divorce someone if they break their marriage covenant by abuse which I am sure alot of people will not agree with

    however, a broken covenant is a just that...broken

    I think if folks would avail themselves of studying and understanding the other covenants...Abrahamic etc...they might see better what I am saying but I cannot force someone to work LOL! although scriptures does recommend it

    I try not to read INTO things...which I think you are doing to some extent here

    please remember, as someone said, I am direct. not duplicitous...but definitely direct.

  14. #34
    Senior Member 7seasrekeyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    Yes, I am serious! Jesus, while on earth, preached salvation by the Law. I've been a Christian for over 30 years and heard about it for the first time only some 6 months ago. I don't ask you to trust me -- I just suggest all of us should start reading the gospels all over again and see that Jesus was "fulfilling the Law" -- interpreting the Torah according to God's will.

    In the video below Joe Child clearly states that Jesus preached the Law while He was on earth.


    haha

    I never thought you were just asking questions even though you stated you did

    heap on the teachers.

    this guy means 0 + 0 to what scripture teaches

    you just do not understand the major doctrines and no surprise there

    Joe who? do you understand how many excellent teachers there are and they would not agree with Joe here?

    anyone can find someone to say what they believe. and you simply proved it.

    thanks but no thanks

    and we should let this one go. wasn't an entire thread enough for you?

    divorce and remarriage is not something under the law we need to consider

    in the famous words of so many here: we are not 'under' the law

    and a good thing too

  15. #35
    Senior Member Limey410v2's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2017
    Age
    46
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    Yes, I am serious! Jesus, while on earth, preached salvation by the Law. I've been a Christian for over 30 years and heard about it for the first time only some 6 months ago. I don't ask you to trust me -- I just suggest all of us should start reading the gospels all over again and see that Jesus was "fulfilling the Law" -- interpreting the Torah according to God's will.

    In the video below Joe Child clearly states that Jesus preached the Law while He was on earth.

    I didn't watch the video, but Jesus ministry was to show that no-one could maintain the law and that only through His grace and mercy could one achieve salvation.

    The law was the tutor to point to Jesus.

    Jesus taught under the old covenant, so therefore taught under the law. (He could not be convicted as one that broke the law because He never sinned by the definition of the law of sin and death)

    The new covenant was established after his resurrection. While the Gospels are in the NT, they are a testimony of Jesus teaching under the Old Covenant.

    As Christians we tend to look at ALL of Jesus teachings as rules to live by, when in fact a lot of His teachings were to show the Jews that salvation could not come about by the rules they were living by. In spite of what people think Jesus was not talking to us all of the time. In fact, most of the time. It is His death and resurrection that speak to us as EVERYTHING pivots on that.

    And only through the sacrifice He was about to perform, the last sacrifice, and the resurrection of the life of Christ, could salvation be obtained.

    I believe we just went totally off the topic of this thread.
    joaniemarie likes this.

  16. #36
    Senior Member Marcelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    598
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7seasrekeyed View Post
    I was responding to Marcelo who, not long ago, made an entire thread about that very subject so I don't know why he carried it over here.
    Because it is related to the current topic. If we bear in mind that Jesus was preaching the Law, we can have a better understanding of marriage after divorce.

    ...if Jesus taught the law, why didn't he allow them to stone the woman caught in adultery.
    Very good question! Jesus was fulfilling the Law -- interpreting it according to God's will (see thread WHAT DOES IT MEAN "TO FULFILL THE LAW"). Jesus didn't teach the Law as the Pharisees did -- He taught differently.
    joaniemarie likes this.

  17. #37
    Senior Member 7seasrekeyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    Because it is related to the current topic. If we bear in mind that Jesus was preaching the Law, we can have a better understanding of marriage after divorce.



    Very good question! Jesus was fulfilling the Law -- interpreting it according to God's will (see thread WHAT DOES IT MEAN "TO FULFILL THE LAW"). Jesus didn't teach the Law as the Pharisees did -- He taught differently.

    no it ain't, isn't and not so

    you just want to introduce a topic that is not settled for you

    put a link to your thread and folks can sojourn there with you because you are derailing this thread!! won't answer u again here for that reason

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2017
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,828
    Rep Power
    86

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    Yes, I am serious! Jesus, while on earth, preached salvation by the Law. I've been a Christian for over 30 years and heard about it for the first time only some 6 months ago. I don't ask you to trust me -- I just suggest all of us should start reading the gospels all over again and see that Jesus was "fulfilling the Law" -- interpreting the Torah according to God's will.

    In the video below Joe Child clearly states that Jesus preached the Law while He was on earth.





    Am up to 17.00 and am enjoying this very much. So far am in agreement with this Pastor.
    Marcelo likes this.

  19. #39
    Senior Member 7seasrekeyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 27th, 2017
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,091
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Limey410v2 View Post
    I didn't watch the video, but Jesus ministry was to show that no-one could maintain the law and that only through His grace and mercy could one achieve salvation.

    The law was the tutor to point to Jesus.

    Jesus taught under the old covenant, so therefore taught under the law. (He could not be convicted as one that broke the law because He never sinned by the definition of the law of sin and death)

    The new covenant was established after his resurrection. While the Gospels are in the NT, they are a testimony of Jesus teaching under the Old Covenant.

    As Christians we tend to look at ALL of Jesus teachings as rules to live by, when in fact a lot of His teachings were to show the Jews that salvation could not come about by the rules they were living by. In spite of what people think Jesus was not talking to us all of the time. In fact, most of the time. It is His death and resurrection that speak to us as EVERYTHING pivots on that.

    And only through the sacrifice He was about to perform, the last sacrifice, and the resurrection of the life of Christ, could salvation be obtained.

    I believe we just went totally off the topic of this thread.

    what else is new

    I agree with some of what you state, but I believe accuracy is more achievable if we state Jesus taught PEOPLE who were in covenant with God through the law

    Jesus exhibited OBEDIENCE which resulted in OUR salvation

  20. #40
    Member star's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 8th, 2017
    Age
    71
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: CAN A DIVORCED CHRISTIAN REMARRY?

    In reference to the OP: God had nothing to do with my first marriage. God had everything to do with my present marriage which has lasted for almost 32 years.
    Marcelo and joaniemarie like this.
    "To err is human; to forgive divine."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Newly Divorced Christian Dad looking for encouragement
    By IronDad92 in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May 31st, 2017, 05:36 PM
  2. Should I remarry please help!!!!!
    By Lortiz90 in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: October 28th, 2013, 05:05 PM
  3. Should someone who has been divorced remarry?
    By Stasia in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: June 11th, 2013, 11:56 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: November 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM
  5. divorced christian dad of 3 stressed...
    By dadnky41 in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 8th, 2011, 04:47 PM