Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 166
Like Tree111Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

  1. #121
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    H7677 שׁבּתון actually refers to Sabbath observance; whileH7676שַׁבָּתshabbath refers to the day itself. There is no real distinction made in these words between 7th day Sabbaths and Levitical Sabbaths.

    Not that it really matters because whether or not a distinction is made; the fact remains that the NT clearly teaches that observance is NOT mandatory for believers.
    Now MarC, you know exactly what post # 119 was referring to above showing the differences between God's 4th commandment and the ceremonial Sabbaths of Leviticus.

    Are you saying by what you have written above that the annual Levitical Sabbaths and God's 4th commandment are the same and have the same purpose as God's 4th commandment? This should be interesting...

  2. #122
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,320
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    Now MarC, you know exactly what post # 119 was referring to above showing the differences between God's 4th commandment and the ceremonial Sabbaths of Leviticus.

    Are you saying by what you have written above that the annual Levitical Sabbaths and God's 4th commandment are the same and have the same purpose as God's 4th commandment? This should be interesting...
    I am saying very plainly that while there are several distinctions between the Levitical Sabbaths, and the seventh day sabbaths; the words Shabath and Shabaton are not used to distinguish them as you have mistakenly suggested.
    mailmandan and Bogadile like this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  3. #123
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    I am saying very plainly that while there are several distinctions between the Levitical Sabbaths, and the seventh day sabbaths; the words Shabath and Shabaton are not used to distinguish them as you have mistakenly suggested.
    So you agree that God's Sabbath and the Levitical Sabbaths are different?

    Now all I posted in post # 119 was the Strong's Definition of the Words used for Sabbath and compared them to creation, God's 4th commandment and the Levitical special Sabbaths.

    If you do not like the Hebrew definitions used maybe you should take it up with Strong's? It's good however, that you can see that there is indeed a distinction between God's 4th commandment and the Levitical Sabbaths and they are not the same even though the same English word is used.

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,252
    Rep Power
    72

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    The word Sabbath simply means rest .It is not a time sensitive word adding the time element destroys the meaning. First day of the week does not mean rest, and neither does twice in the week. Those terms were added for some unknown reason .Most likely as a way of walking by sight as sign seekers.

    The Sabbath rest comes every time we mix faith in what we do hear, and do not harden our hearts . Again its not time e sensitive. Today is as long as today is to today . The Sun and the moon are still being used as time keepers .They will disappear at the end of time, the last day .

    Rather than trying to zero in on a day learn what it means to mix faith in what a person does hear or see.

    Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. Heb 4:1

    It is Christ who can make our hearts soft by giving us His unseen rest.
    mailmandan likes this.

  5. #125
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,252
    Rep Power
    72

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    So you agree that God's Sabbath and the Levitical Sabbaths are different?

    Now all I posted in post # 119 was the Strong's Definition of the Words used for Sabbath and compared them to creation, God's 4th commandment and the Levitical special Sabbaths.

    If you do not like the Hebrew definitions used maybe you should take it up with Strong's? It's good however, that you can see that there is indeed a distinction between God's 4th commandment and the Levitical Sabbaths and they are not the same even though the same English word is used.

    Yes the difference is a shadow (the Leviticus ) the things of men and the other the substance the eternal rest we do have that comes from not hardening our hearts , the substance of the shadow, the things of God . A difference must be made between the things of God and those of men.

    Its there the antichrist gets his foot in the door and tries to sell his lies.

  6. #126
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,320
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    So you agree that God's Sabbath and the Levitical Sabbaths are different?

    Now all I posted in post # 119 was the Strong's Definition of the Words used for Sabbath and compared them to creation, God's 4th commandment and the Levitical special Sabbaths.

    If you do not like the Hebrew definitions used maybe you should take it up with Strong's? It's good however, that you can see that there is indeed a distinction between God's 4th commandment and the Levitical Sabbaths and they are not the same even though the same English word is used.
    If you use a lexicon instead of Strong's definitions you will not be challenged as often.

    They are different in time of occurrence; but they are not really different in purpose.
    mailmandan and garee like this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  7. #127
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    If you use a lexicon instead of Strong's definitions you will not be challenged as often.
    They are different in time of occurrence; but they are not really different in purpose.
    I do use both and there is nothing wrong with using the Strong's definitions in the context I posted which was to highlight the Leviticus Sabbaths as being special Sabbaths distinct and different from God's 4th commandment. This was only a part of a larger post highlighting the differences between the two in post # 119.

  8. #128
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,320
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    I do use both and there is nothing wrong with using the Strong's definitions in the context I posted which was to highlight the Leviticus Sabbaths as being special Sabbaths distinct and different from God's 4th commandment. This was only a part of a larger post highlighting the differences between the two in post # 119.
    OT:7677

    שַׁבָּתוֺן noun masculine sabbath observance, sabbatism; — `שׁ
    Ex 16:23 + 10 t. P; usually phrase שַׁבּת שַׁבָּתוֺן
    sabbath of sabbatic observance; — 1. of weekly sabbath Ex 31:15; 35:2; Lev 23:3; Ex 16:23 (שַׁבּת קֹדֶשׁ
    שַׁבָּתוֺן, probably transposed). 2. day of atonement Lev 16:31; 23:32. 3. sabbatical year Lev 25:4; compare שַׁבָּתוֺן
    v5. 4. `שׁ alone of feast of trumpets Lev 23:24, and of first and eighth days of feast of tabernacles v39; v39.
    (from Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon, Unabridged, Electronic Database. Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

    I didn't need the lexicon except to show you the difference between a lexicon and strong's definitions.
    Last edited by MarcR; 1 Week Ago at 10:20 PM.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  9. #129
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    OT:7677

    שַׁבָּתוֺן noun masculine sabbath observance, sabbatism; — `שׁ
    Ex 16:23 + 10 t. P; usually phrase שַׁבּת שַׁבָּתוֺן
    sabbath of sabbatic observance; — 1. of weekly sabbath Ex 31:15; 35:2; Lev 23:3; Ex 16:23 (שַׁבּת קֹדֶשׁ
    שַׁבָּתוֺן, probably transposed). 2. day of atonement Lev 16:31; 23:32. 3. sabbatical year Lev 25:4; compare שַׁבָּתוֺן
    v5. 4. `שׁ alone of feast of trumpets Lev 23:24, and of first and eighth days of feast of tabernacles v39; v39.
    (from Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon, Unabridged, Electronic Database. Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

    I didn't need the lexicon except to show you the difference between a lexicon and strong's definitions.
    So please tell me how what you have posted above changes that what I have said in post # 119. That God's 4th commandment weekly Sabbath is different from the "Special" annual Levitical Sabbaths of H7677 of Leviticus? Fact is it does not.

    Leviticus 23: 3; 24; 32 SABBATH and RESTED separate or together meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath.

    The Strong's Hebrew definition was correctly used to show that the annual Sabbaths are "Special" and distinct from God's 4th commandment. You seem to be building a strawman now for something you have already agreed to.

  10. #130
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,320
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    So please tell me how what you have posted above changes that what I have said in post # 119. That God's 4th commandment weekly Sabbath is different from the "Special" annual Levitical Sabbaths of H7677 of Leviticus? Fact is it does not.

    Leviticus 23: 3; 24; 32 SABBATH and RESTED separate or together meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath.

    The Strong's Hebrew definition was correctly used to show that the annual Sabbaths are "Special" and distinct from God's 4th commandment. You seem to be building a strawman now for something you have already agreed to.
    The lexicon shows 'shabaton' applying to both the 7th day Sabbath; and the levitical Sabbaths demonstrating you defined the word incorrectly. The lexicon does not address differences (if any) between 7th day and Levitical Sabbaths; it only shows shabathon used interchangeably to speak of both. (Again proving your error) The word sabbatism refers to sabath observance not special holidays. All rabbinic tractates indicate that the seventh day Sabbath was regarded as the most special Sabbath.

    My argument with you has been consistently focused on misapplication of the word sabbathon.

    At no point have I agreed with you though on two occasions you have attempted to twist my words to make it appear as if I did. On both occasions I clarified what I said to indicate that there was in fact NO AGREEMENT!
    mailmandan likes this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  11. #131
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    The lexicon shows 'shabaton' applying to both the 7th day Sabbath; and the levitical Sabbaths demonstrating you defined the word incorrectly. The lexicon does not address differences (if any) between 7th day and Levitical Sabbaths; it only shows shabathon used interchangeably to speak of both. (Again proving your error) The word sabbatism refers to sabath observance not special holidays. All rabbinic tractates indicate that the seventh day Sabbath was regarded as the most special Sabbath. My argument with you has been consistently focused on misapplication of the word sabbathon. At no point have I agreed with you though on two occasions you have attempted to twist my words to make it appear as if I did. On both occasions I clarified what I said to indicate that there was in fact NO AGREEMENT!
    What a load of gobbldgoop I am not disagreeing with the above and after all that you did not answer my question. So please let me re-post it maybe you did not understand the question......

    So please tell me how what you have posted above changes that what I have said in post # 119, That God's 4th commandment weekly Sabbath is different from the "Special" annual Levitical Sabbaths of H7677 of Leviticus? Fact is it does not.

    Leviticus 23: 3; 24; 32 SABBATH and RESTED separate or together meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath.

    The Strong's Hebrew definition was correctly used to show that the annual Sabbaths are "Special" and distinct from God's 4th commandment. You seem to be building a strawman now for something you have already agreed to.
    All your doing is trying to build a strawman that is not there. You already agreed that God's 4th commandment and the Levitical "Special" Sabbaths are different did you not?

  12. #132
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,320
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    What a load of gobbldgoop I am not disagreeing with the above and after all that you did not answer my question. So please let me re-post it maybe you did not understand the question......

    So please tell me how what you have posted above changes that what I have said in post # 119, That God's 4th commandment weekly Sabbath is different from the "Special" annual Levitical Sabbaths of H7677 of Leviticus? Fact is it does not.

    Leviticus 23: 3; 24; 32 SABBATH and RESTED separate or together meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath.

    The Strong's Hebrew definition was correctly used to show that the annual Sabbaths are "Special" and distinct from God's 4th commandment. You seem to be building a strawman now for something you have already agreed to.

    All your doing is trying to build a strawman that is not there. You already agreed that God's 4th commandment and the Levitical "Special" Sabbaths are different did you not?
    My response was and is that there is a difference in TIME OF OCCURENCE; but the PURPOSE AND FUNCTION are the SAME.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  13. #133
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    My response was and is that there is a difference in TIME OF OCCURENCE; but the PURPOSE AND FUNCTION are the SAME.
    Yes but they are not the same as God's 4th commandment are they? They are NOT the 7th day Sabbath memorial of creation are they? If they are NOT the 7th day Sabbath that is a memorial of Creation and are linked to annual Feast that have a specific purpose then they have a different purpose do they not to GOd's 4th commandment?

  14. #134
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,320
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    Yes but they are not the same as God's 4th commandment are they? They are NOT the 7th day Sabbath memorial of creation are they? If they are NOT the 7th day Sabbath that is a memorial of Creation and are linked to annual Feast that have a specific purpose then they have a different purpose do they not to GOd's 4th commandment?
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

    They are days God set apart to fellowship with His faithful without the distractions of our daily schedules.

    The only difference is that the 7th day Sabbath is always Friday sundown to Saturday sundown; but the Levitical Sabbaths can fall on any day of the week.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  15. #135
    Senior Member OneFaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 6th, 2016
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,345
    Rep Power
    48

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    After things switched over from a physical covenant to a spiritual covenant, there were still people who practiced the physical covenant, because they either had not heard of the new covenant yet, or did not accept it. Therefore there were still people practicing the physical sabbath. Why did Paul go to them on Saturday? Because of two reasons...

    1- Because that’s when the people were there. They were there at that time because they were still practicing the physical Sabbath. 2- Because Paul appeared to be like them in order to win them. 1 Corinthians 9:20 “To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law).”

    Despite whatever reason he was there on the Sabbath, he did not practice the physical Sabbath because that is part of the law of Moses- which he said clearly that he is not under. He did it for their sake, just like my minister does not go evangelize on Sunday- because he is in the pulpit preaching to the church (feeding the flock). But on a Saturday he might go out to evangelize (attempt to recruit new members)- not because he’s practicing the Sabbath, but because it’s not the first day of the week when he is busy doing what he’s supposed to do- worship God in the assembly of the saints.



  16. #136
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,320
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    Yes but they are not the same as God's 4th commandment are they? They are NOT the 7th day Sabbath memorial of creation are they? If they are NOT the 7th day Sabbath that is a memorial of Creation and are linked to annual Feast that have a specific purpose then they have a different purpose do they not to GOd's 4th commandment?
    I am somewhat surprised at myself for continuing to respond to you. The fact that you can't be bothered to copy my name correctly strongly suggests that you are somewhat less teachable than my left shoe. I don't argue with it either.
    My right shoe is different because, unlike my left shoe, my right shoe is always right.
    Magenta likes this.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  17. #137
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!
    They are days God set apart to fellowship with His faithful without the distractions of our daily schedules.
    The only difference is that the 7th day Sabbath is always Friday sundown to Saturday sundown; but the Levitical Sabbaths can fall on any day of the week.
    Now MarcR what is ABSOLUTELY NOT ? Did you not just say....... ?

    My response was and is that there is a difference in TIME OF OCCURENCE; but the PURPOSE AND FUNCTION are the SAME.
    Now I can agree with you that :TIME OF OCCURRENCE are different between God's 4th commandment and the "special" Levitical Sabbath as the Levitical Sabbaths could fall on any day of the week. I can agree with you also that the FUNCTION is the same and that is to cease from work. This is what post # 113 is talking about. But here it is were we disagree and that is the PURPOSE.

    So let's talk about the PURPOSE of these SABBATHS and share the WORD of GOD.................

    Q. What is the PURPOSE of God's Sabbath in the 4th commandment.....................

    Exodus 20
    8, Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    9, Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    10, But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY?>
    11, For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
    A. The PURPOSE of the 4th commandment is that it is given as a MEMORIAL of CREATION because God made the heavens and the earth and the sea and all that is in them and RESTED on the 7th DAY.

    next............

    Q.
    What is the PURPOSE of the "special" annual festival Sabbaths that can fall on any day of the week...........

    Leviticus 23

    24, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a <special> sabbath, <any day of the week> a (1) memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.
    25, Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
    24, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.
    25, Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
    26, And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    27, Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a (2) day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
    28, And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.
    29, For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.
    30, And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people.
    31, Ye shall do no manner of work: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
    32, It shall be unto you a<special> sabbath of rest,<any day of the week> and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your <special> sabbath <any day of the week>.
    33, And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
    34, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the (3) feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the LORD.
    35, On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
    36, Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein.

    37, These are the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, to offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD, a burnt offering, and a meat offering, a sacrifice, and drink offerings, every thing upon his day:
    38, Beside the sabbaths of the LORD, and beside your gifts, and beside all your vows, and beside all your freewill offerings, which ye give unto the LORD.
    39, Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a <special> sabbath <any day of the week>, and on the eighth day shall be a <special> sabbath <any day of the week>.
    40, And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees,4 branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.
    41, And ye shall keep it a feast unto the LORD seven days in the year. It shall be a statute for ever in your generations: ye shall celebrate it in the seventh month.
    42, Ye shall dwell in booths seven days; all that are Israelites born shall dwell in booths:
    43, That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths, when I brought them out of the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
    44, And Moses declared unto the children of Israel the feasts of the LORD.

    A. The "special" Festival Sabbaths that could fall on any day of the week.

    The PURPOSE of the special Sabbath of the (1) Feast of Trumpets was in preparation for the day of ATONEMENT for SIN for God's people to afflict themselves in REPENTANCE for SIN and a memorial of God giving his people the 10 commandments (Exodus 19:16-22) and a call for them to be a HOLY people.
    ,
    This was follow by the special Sabbath of (2) Day Atonement once again a could fall on any day of the week. The PURPOSE of the DAY of ATONEMENT special Sabbath was once again affliction and repentance of SIN while the HIGH PRIEST ministered on behalf of the people of Israel.

    This then was followed by the (3) Feast of Tabernacles this also included special Sabbaths that could fall on any day of the week. The PURPOSE of these special sabbaths was for remembrance of God's deliverance of God's people from the land of Egypt (the World)

    So as can be shown above each of the SABBATHS not only being different in time and occurrence also were given for a specific PURPOSE!

    Can you now see that the PURPOSE of all these SABBATHS are not the same?

  18. #138
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by OneFaith View Post
    After things switched over from a physical covenant to a spiritual covenant, there were still people who practiced the physical covenant, because they either had not heard of the new covenant yet, or did not accept it. Therefore there were still people practicing the physical sabbath. Why did Paul go to them on Saturday? Because of two reasons...

    1- Because that’s when the people were there. They were there at that time because they were still practicing the physical Sabbath. 2- Because Paul appeared to be like them in order to win them. 1 Corinthians 9:20 “To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law).”

    Despite whatever reason he was there on the Sabbath, he did not practice the physical Sabbath because that is part of the law of Moses- which he said clearly that he is not under. He did it for their sake, just like my minister does not go evangelize on Sunday- because he is in the pulpit preaching to the church (feeding the flock). But on a Saturday he might go out to evangelize (attempt to recruit new members)- not because he’s practicing the Sabbath, but because it’s not the first day of the week when he is busy doing what he’s supposed to do- worship God in the assembly of the saints.
    Hello OneFaith,

    Where does it say in God's Word that Paul, Jesus or any of the other disciples did not practice the physical Sabbath just like any of the other commandments?

    OBEDIENCE begins in the heart through Faith and is why we need a NEW ONE. This is the promise of the NEW Covenant the LAWS on stone written on the heart to LOVE.

    Where does it say in God's Word that God's Sabbath is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to keep Sunday in it's place?

    There is not one scripture in ALL of God's WORD that says God's 4th commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to worship God on Sunday in it's place.

    Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has lead many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

    Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

  19. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,541
    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    Hi Brother Jackson,

    Some of this reply to your question is from another post and some is different but all together should help answer your question. The short version is that God's Sabbath only falls on every 7th day of the week (Exodus 20:8-11) the annual festival special Sabbaths that use the same English word SABBATH are different in meaning and are called special SABBATHS and can fall on ANY day of the week. There is more than one of them as they are connected to different festivals hence plural. Sabbaths or Sabbath days. (Col 2:16)

    There are different HEBREW Words used for the same English word given for Sabbath lets have a look at them. Let's have a look at the different Hebrew words that are used for English word for SABBATH starting with the ROOT word REST from Genesis then the Hebrew Word for Sabbath found in the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11) then look at the Hebrew word for annual ceremonial Sabbaths of Leviticus. All these have different Hebrew words and have different meanings but use the same English word for Sabbath.................

    If you look up the Hebrew word for SABBATH you will find that the base word for SABBATH is REST (H7676) you will see that it comes from the ROOT or base word of REST which is H7673 in the Strong's Hebrew dictionary which has its origin from the creation week in Genesis 2:1-3.......................


    Genesis 2:1-3; RESTED which is in reference to the 7th day of the creation week meaning H7673 שָׁבַת; shabath (shaw-ɓath') v. to repose, i.e. to cease from exertion. KJV: (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep sabbath, suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

    The commandment uses a different Hebrew word from H7673 which is H7676 and means from one Sabbath to the next Sabbath is to be RESTED cease from work on the 7th day of the Week…..

    Exodus 20:8-11; SABBATH meaning H7676 שַׁבָּתshabbath (shab-bawth') n-e.1. intermission, a period of temporary rest.2. (specifically) the Sabbath, the seventh day being the day of rest. [intensive from H7673]KJV: (+ every) sabbath. Root(s): H7673

    Now please pay attention to the Hebrew word used for the annual ceremonial festival SABBATH'S which uses a DIFFERENT Hebrew Word from God's 4th commandment above. This is not H7676 the ceremonial SABBATH Hebrew Word is H7677 and has a different meaning because it is NOT the same as God's 4th commandment......

    Leviticus 23: 3; 24; 32 SABBATH and RESTED separate or together meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath.


    So the base meaning of Sabbath from God's 4th commandment in the Hebrew is to rest from work (Gen) the commandment is every 7th day rest from work and THEN WE HAVE THE SPECIAL FESTIVAL SABBATH(S) <more than one different Hebrew meaning H7677> OF THE MOSAIC ANNUAL FEASTIVAL LAWS, THAT WERE NOT THE 7TH DAY SABBATH OF THE 4th COMMANDMENT AND COULD FALL ON ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. (John 19:31 see also High Sabbaths Wiki)

    The purpose and difference between the Sabbath of God's 4th commandment and the Monthly or Annual Special Festival Sabbaths


    1. The ceremonial Sabbaths of the law of Moses is a special Sabbath and also uses a different Hebrew Word called meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath. This sabbath can fall on any day of the seek and is only used in the annual Jewish festivals of Feasts of Trumpets (Lev 23:24) or Day of Atonement (Lev 23:32 or Feast of Booths (Lev 23:39). These feasts are N OT fulfilled and Shadows of things to come Col 2 v17 (e.g. 2nd coming, close of probation and judgement and God's people saved from their temporary dwelling on earth to the earth made new) NOTE: Col v17, Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. It is NOT fulfilled and has NOT finished and IS to COME. These are temporary Shadow Sabbaths showing the plan of salvation.

    2. God's 4th commandment Sabbath which is one of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11). The Hebrew word use here for Sabbath has a DIFFERENT Hebrew word used compared to the ceremonial Sabbath of H7677. The Hebrew Word used here is H7676 and
    means H7676שַׁבָּתshabbath (shab-bawth') n-e.1. intermission, a period of temporary rest.2. (specifically) the Sabbath, the seventh day being the day of rest. [intensive from H7673]KJV: (+ every) sabbath. Root(s): H7673. The root word comes from H7673 which comes from the creation week of Genesis 2:1-3 and means shabath (shaw-ɓath') v.to repose, i.e. to cease from exertion.KJV: (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away. This is God's Sabbath it is a memorial of creation and part of a FINISHED WORK BEFORE SIN entered the WORLD. If it is part of a FINISHED work BEFORE SIN then it cannot be a part of the plan of salvation because it was BEFORE the fall of mankind. Just like all the other 10 commandments God's Word says they are FOREVER and the very standard of SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS and the JUDGEMENT to come.

    The Law of God (10 commandments) which includes the 4th commandment is the work of God (Exodus 32:16) whatsoever God does is FOREVER nothing can be added to it or taken away (Ecclesiastes 3:14). God's Law is perfect converting the soul (Psalms 19:7). It is the very standard of the Old and New Covenants (Exodus 20:1:17, Hebrews 8:10-12). God's Law was spoken by Go d himself to His people (Exodus 20:1-22). J esus says Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away (Matthew 25:35). Gods Law is still in force today (Psalms 111:7-8, Revel ation 12:17, 14:12, 22:14, 1 John 3:5-8, 1 John 2:3-4 etc.). The Law of God reveals sin to us so we can see ourselves as we truly are sinners in need of a Savior (Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4). It is the great standard of the judgement ( Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, James 2:10-12, 1 John 3:4, Acts 17:31). God's Law is our teacher revealing sin and the character of God and brings us to Christ at the fo ot of the cross that we might be saved by faith by Him who loves us and washed us in His own blood (Galatians 3:24; Revelation 1:5). God's people keep all the commandments of God including the Sabbath even in the NEW EARTH (Rev 12:17; 14:12; 22:14; Isaiah 66:23)

    That is the difference between the ceremonial special Sabbaths that are shadows of things to come and God's 4th commandment which God's Word says is God's Sabbath is FOREVER and the ceremonial Sabbaths are temporary SHADOWS to come and not yet fulfilled.

    They are plural because they are more then one special Sabbath H7677 linked to different FESTIVALS that is why the plural word of SABBATH DAYS is used in Col 2:16
    why lev 23:24 use sabbath not sabbaths ?

  20. #140
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,877
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Paul & his custom to keep Sabbath to the LORD

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson123 View Post
    why lev 23:24 use sabbath not sabbaths ?
    Hello Brother Jackson,

    Because Lev 23:24 is only referring to one special Sabbath event which is from the Feast of Trumpets so it is singular. Col 2:16 is referring to ALL the special shadow Sabbaths of Leviticus 23 of ALL the annual festivals so it is sabbaths or sabbath days because there is more than one of them (plural)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 21st, 2016, 12:24 AM
  2. Sabbath: The Lord's Day
    By ozell in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 677
    Last Post: May 11th, 2015, 12:46 PM
  3. How to lead someone to the Lord - Paul Washer
    By Spokenpassage in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 6th, 2014, 03:01 PM
  4. Lord of the Sabbath
    By JaumeJ in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 7th, 2013, 09:02 AM
  5. The Sabbath of The Lord, A burden or delight
    By Laodicea in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 269
    Last Post: August 30th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Tags for this Thread