Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 256
Like Tree276Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and consequenc

  1. #1


    kaf
    kaf is offline
    Junior Member kaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and consequenc

    I think so, it is normal to preach in the street because Jesus did it himself. it reveals that benefits, because in doing so, the hearts are touched by the message either immediately or later, a seed that is sown, will yield harvest.
    Billyd, 20, John146 and 3 others like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,607
    Rep Power
    64

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Quote Originally Posted by kaf View Post
    I think so, it is normal to preach in the street because Jesus did it himself. it reveals that benefits, because in doing so, the hearts are touched by the message either immediately or later, a seed that is sown, will yield harvest.
    Great question. We can't necessarily worry about what good is it doing, because it's what we are commanded to do. Sow the seed on all types of ground and let the Holy Spirit work.
    Billyd, Crustyone, 20 and 2 others like this.

  3. #3


    kaf
    kaf is offline
    Junior Member kaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Wowwwwwwwwwwww very good answer. you are an evangelist?
    joefizz likes this.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    73
    Posts
    22,421
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    Great question. We can't necessarily worry about what good is it doing, because it's what we are commanded to do. Sow the seed on all types of ground and let the Holy Spirit work.
    Not exactly. We are commissioned to "make disciples", not to create a sidewalk freak show that will have people shunning the Word of God. It is highly dependent upon the customs of the prevailing culture in each varying location as to how the gospel will be spread in that particular area.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Marcelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2016
    Age
    67
    Posts
    895
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Good topic! I think this is very debatable. Personally I don't like street preaching, but in some cases it can be the only way to evangelize.
    Billyd, Magenta, joefizz and 1 others like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,166
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Street preaching need a humility and courage and Yes Jesus preach on the open field.
    Magenta and kaf like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 19th, 2011
    Age
    42
    Posts
    20,089
    Rep Power
    238

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Not a fan of it personally.
    I agree with Willie. Doing what is fitting within your culture. In the US street preachers are viewed as laughable fanatics, at best. The attention is often drawn more to the individual or group, rather than the message.
    Give me a new voice
    Give me a heart for repentance and make it stay
    Cause I've idolized my words
    It's all my fault
    But it's comfortable
    ~Poured Out, Rival Choir~

  8. #8


    20
    20 is offline
    Senior Member 20's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2015
    Age
    54
    Posts
    373
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Yes, It is normal KJVColossians1:28-29 28.Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus; 29. Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working,which worketh in me mightily.
    John146, joefizz and kaf like this.
    KJV1Corinthians2:9 9.But as is written,Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

  9. #9
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,002
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    Not exactly. We are commissioned to "make disciples", not to create a sidewalk freak show that will have people shunning the Word of God. It is highly dependent upon the customs of the prevailing culture in each varying location as to how the gospel will be spread in that particular area.
    Willie,

    I have two points to make regarding you post; one where we agree, and one where I'm not sure.



    1. I completely agree that much methodology will be EFFECTIVE or INEFFECTIVE dependent upon the culture and times... and a few other things.

    That does not constitute a PROHIBITION against any methodology we dislike, or which we feel is ineffective.
    But it's certainly common sense, as well a good bible, that there is a time and a place for different things.

    I would also add that very often the effectiveness of a methodology is more dependent on the PERSON than on the methodology itself. Two people can do the same thing in very different ways.


    2. You say we are to "make disciples" rather than create a "freak show" - since the context is street preaching, we'll assume you consider street preaching to be a freak show.... I think that's a little harsh as a generality, but there's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion.


    Let's talk about "making disciples" versus "preaching."
    Very often, when people hold that verse about "making disciples" in antithesis against some kind of preaching, they're holding it up against all preaching in general - they're using it to say Christians shouldn't be preaching at all, they should be making disciples instead, which is apparently a much more gentlemanly sport.

    Willie, I don't know if that's how you meant it, so I'm not going to accuse you of that, or put words in your mouth.
    (I'll leave you alone to speak for yourself.)
    But since some people do use that verse to DISCOURAGE PREACHING in general, I'm going to speak to that issue.


    Christians are told to do both: MAKE DISCIPLES and PREACH.
    Before we can TRAIN a disciple, a person has to first BECOME a disciple.. and that requires the preaching of the gospel in some form.



    Some verses on the necessity of preaching.

    Luk 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

    Act 10:42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

    Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

    2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.



    Conclusion:
    It may be that Willie and I don't disagree on anything here.
    I'll let Willie comment on that if he feels inclined.
    Last edited by maxwel; December 6th, 2017 at 09:51 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,742
    Rep Power
    87

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    It's about as normal as this:

    Angela53510 and Willie-T like this.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Joidevivre's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 15th, 2014
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,798
    Blog Entries
    456
    Rep Power
    214

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    The newest movement in the streets are groups of people who work in pairs. They do not preach, but they approach certain people they feel led to and ask if they need prayer for anything. It is amazing the ones who end up accepting Christ. And some are even healed as they are prayed for.

    It is mainly your younger generation doing this - people in their 20s and 30s. What is surprising are the number of people who want prayer and are open to it.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    February 7th, 2015
    Age
    73
    Posts
    22,421
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Quote Originally Posted by Joidevivre View Post
    The newest movement in the streets are groups of people who work in pairs. They do not preach, but they approach certain people they feel led to and ask if they need prayer for anything. It is amazing the ones who end up accepting Christ. And some are even healed as they are prayed for.

    It is mainly your younger generation doing this - people in their 20s and 30s. What is surprising are the number of people who want prayer and are open to it.
    Yes, The Vineyard does a lt of that. But, I doubt that is what these people mean when they talk about Street Preaching...... not at all!
    Magenta and beastslayer1970 like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member UnderGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    185

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Sad but true, have had a terrible, horrible experience with them where I live.

    Many preach only condemnation and hell and neglect the Gospel.


    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    Not exactly. We are commissioned to "make disciples", not to create a sidewalk freak show that will have people shunning the Word of God. It is highly dependent upon the customs of the prevailing culture in each varying location as to how the gospel will be spread in that particular area.
    Grandpa, Willie-T, Magenta and 1 others like this.
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    Romans 6:14

  14. #14
    Senior Member Laish's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2016
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,250
    Rep Power
    109

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie-T View Post
    Not exactly. We are commissioned to "make disciples", not to create a sidewalk freak show that will have people shunning the Word of God. It is highly dependent upon the customs of the prevailing culture in each varying location as to how the gospel will be spread in that particular area.
    Watch out before you know it you will be swallowed up by a huge monster of a bus and told to go preach on the street.
    Blessings
    Bill
    God's Grace is sufficient.

    God wants full custody of your children.
    Not just weekend visits.

    We are entertaining the goats while we should be feeding the sheep.
    Charles Spurgeon

  15. #15


    kaf
    kaf is offline
    Junior Member kaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Thank you for your comment. God bless you
    joefizz likes this.

  16. #16


    kaf
    kaf is offline
    Junior Member kaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2017
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    God bless you bro. Thank for your comment
    joefizz and Acarpenter like this.

  17. #17
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,002
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Quote Originally Posted by kaf View Post
    I think so, it is normal to preach in the street because Jesus did it himself. it reveals that benefits, because in doing so, the hearts are touched by the message either immediately or later, a seed that is sown, will yield harvest.

    Alright, I've finished all my nitpicking at things in this thread, lol.

    : )

    Here is my answer to the OP.


    I think it is NORMAL for a Christian to desire to share the gospel.
    Period.
    Where, and how... those are secondary issues.

    It can be done wisely, and with compassion, or it can be done like an idiot.
    I think God prefers us to share the gospel wisely, and with compassion.





    Great thread everyone.
    I think this is a really good topic, and everyone has given a lot of good responses.
    Grandpa, Magenta, John146 and 1 others like this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member OneFaith's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,701
    Rep Power
    68

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    There’s a reason why you don't see this happening already. It don’t work. We’ve tried door to door, got door slammed in our faces. We’ve tried putting flyers on cars in parking lots, and talking to people going to those cars, not good results.

    Jesus had a different crowd. Even the Samaritan woman at the well knew a Messiah was coming. People were bored, they didn’t have iPhones and such. There were not even many books out. Even then there were whole towns that would not accept the message, and God said to dust off your shoes and leave that town.

    Because God doesn’t want us preaching to a crowd that will not accept His message. Today there are many branch-offs of the church Christ started, and many many more religions that aren’t even Christian. Imagine walking through the mall, and there was a stand with men trying to recruit people to Muslim. How would you react? Exactly- that is how people react to such a scene in this day and age. They either walk around it or make fun of it.

    Charging through the water grabbing at fish may not be the best way to catch them. God said I will make you fishers of men. That implies training and strategy. You need bait. “They don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” This is where charity comes in. You help them with their need, they feel the warmth of God’s love, and are now in a position to want to know more. Christmas works this way, and it make sure people ask “Just Who is this Jesus anyways?” But if there were no Christmas, and you went up to people and tried to teach them about a guy named Jesus, they won’t want to listen.

    Jesus did many things we can’t. He could walk on water, He could walk into a bar and be a Doctor to those in need. We are the Doctor’s servants. Imagine a nurse walking into your hospital room and attempting surgery. The patient won’t be as accepting as if the nurse were a surgeon.

    We have the Internet now- that is one good way to ‘go into all the world’. Because most people know of Jesus, but those who want to know more will inquire. “Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all will be added unto you.”

    Those who are drawn to God will come out of the circle of those who seek Him not. To go preach directly to those who seek Him not, is a waste of time.

    Last edited by OneFaith; December 7th, 2017 at 03:16 AM.
    beastslayer1970 likes this.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,720
    Rep Power
    118

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Quote Originally Posted by kaf View Post
    I think so, it is normal to preach in the street because Jesus did it himself. it reveals that benefits, because in doing so, the hearts are touched by the message either immediately or later, a seed that is sown, will yield harvest.
    If a person is well lead by the Holy Spirit and has the gift of being a good public speaker then it is good for them to preach in the street in public.. Some Christians do not have the gifts to make them good at public speaking.. But they can make friends with others and when the time is right share the the Gospel one on one with their friend..

    What ever way it is done... In the streets or with a friend or online in forums or chat rooms.. What ever way is best for each person, that way should be pursued..
    JesusLives, Magenta and joefizz like this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,607
    Rep Power
    64

    Default Re: is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and conseq

    Quote Originally Posted by OneFaith View Post
    There’s a reason why you don't see this happening already. It don’t work. We’ve tried door to door, got door slammed in our faces. We’ve tried putting flyers on cars in parking lots, and talking to people going to those cars, not good results.

    Jesus had a different crowd. Even the Samaritan woman at the well knew a Messiah was coming. People were bored, they didn’t have iPhones and such. There were not even many books out. Even then there were whole towns that would not accept the message, and God said to dust off your shoes and leave that town.

    Because God doesn’t want us preaching to a crowd that will not accept His message. Today there are many branch-offs of the church Christ started, and many many more religions that aren’t even Christian. Imagine walking through the mall, and there was a stand with men trying to recruit people to Muslim. How would you react? Exactly- that is how people react to such a scene in this day and age. They either walk around it or make fun of it.

    Charging through the water grabbing at fish may not be the best way to catch them. God said I will make you fishers of men. That implies training and strategy. You need bait. “They don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” This is where charity comes in. You help them with their need, they feel the warmth of God’s love, and are now in a position to want to know more. Christmas works this way, and it make sure people ask “Just Who is this Jesus anyways?” But if there were no Christmas, and you went up to people and tried to teach them about a guy named Jesus, they won’t want to listen.

    Jesus did many things we can’t. He could walk on water, He could walk into a bar and be a Doctor to those in need. We are the Doctor’s servants. Imagine a nurse walking into your hospital room and attempting surgery. The patient won’t be as accepting as if the nurse were a surgeon.

    We have the Internet now- that is one good way to ‘go into all the world’. Because most people know of Jesus, but those who want to know more will inquire. “Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all will be added unto you.”

    Those who are drawn to God will come out of the circle of those who seek Him not. To go preach directly to those who seek Him not, is a waste of time.

    Jesus did a lot of "wasting" His time then. Jesus preached to the public. Peter preached to the public. Paul preached to the public. Were people offended? Absolutely!

    I don't care if the gospel offends someone. We are commanded to preach the gospel.

    1 Corinthians 1:21 or after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
    joefizz likes this.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. is it normal to preach the gospel in the street? what are the benefits and consequenc
    By kaf in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 7th, 2017, 12:10 AM
  2. Preach The Gospel At All Times
    By DustyRhodes in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2017, 07:24 AM
  3. What Gospel Do You Preach?
    By Samie in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: February 15th, 2016, 02:27 PM
  4. Do you preach the everlasting gospel?
    By Ariel82 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 7th, 2012, 12:27 AM
  5. Do angels preach the Gospel?
    By jonathanbchristian in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 20th, 2011, 07:39 AM