Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

  1. #1
    Senior Member thefightinglamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    714
    Rep Power
    6

    Question poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Just wanted to ask if you all believe that Christians are protected from worldly woes?

    Examples: Do you believe that all Christians are protected from rape or sometimes does innocence get trespassed? I ask this because in Bible study tonight a girl told of how she was abused by her father when she was young....(we were asking the tough question tonight, of "where were you God when _______ happened?"

    The church I have attended regularly prays that the 'land of goshen' blessing remain over the church...meaning that while the world suffers from loss of jobs, a recession, et cetera that the Lord would continue to make them fruitful even as Egypt was stricken with curses but Goshen still had plenty...

    I am on the fence on this in my life. I see in Revelations that those who refuse to get the mark of the beast won't be allowed to buy or sell, so they probably will experience both want and hardship....just like someone I knew to be Christian was fired from her public high school job....

    BUT---I also believe that prayer does have power and that He will guard and guide us by his loving hand. Sometimes we do not see why we are laid off or fired, but we must trust that in God's Almighty plan there is purpose to all of our live's woes....

    So I am throwing the question to you the reader--

    Do Christians and Heathens suffer wordly woes--or are Christians excused from suffering physical or wordly wants?

    God bless
    tony

    ps. Yes, I know this is similiar to 'prosperity gospel threads'....but I am focusing more on if woes only befall the wicked...
    Love is fearless.

    Where love is not,
    truth is perishing...

    Love will be there waiting.
    Love despite the consequences...

  2. #2


    VW
    VW is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2009
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,579
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Whether we do or we don't is not for us to decide, but rather that we know that whatever happens to us, it is God's will. As Paul said, we need to learn to be content in riches or in destitution, youth or in age, in being blessed or in being scourged.

    I believe that God brings to us what He sees is needed to bring us to completion and maturity in Christ.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    661
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Jesus said 'in this world you will have troubles, but take heart, i have overcome the world'.

    No one is exempt. Everyone at some time in life will have troubles. Since the fall of man such has been the case. Who suffered unjustly? Jesus himself.

    Unfortunately innocent children suffer because of the sinfulness of mankind. So ... troubles=the result of sin.

    The question is, how strong are we while we go through troubles... do we immediately blame God? or do we pray for stronger faith, so that nothing can separate us from His love..and so that we can help others who experience similar things?!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mich223's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2010
    Age
    46
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    I think some humans suffer like Job did in the bible. Satan is a part of the world and because of this there is suffering. We just have to pray to God and hope that he will alleviate the fears and suffering that mankind is apt to go through from time-to-time. It can't hurt to pray for God's guidance.

  5. #5
    Credo_ut_Intelligam
    Guest

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    John 16:33 ... in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”


    Philippians 1:29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake,


    1 Peter 3:14 But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled,


    1 Peter 4:19 Therefore let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good.
    Last edited by Credo_ut_Intelligam; June 14th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.

  6. #6
    lighthousejohn
    Guest

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by thefightinglamb View Post
    Just wanted to ask if you all believe that Christians are protected from worldly woes?

    Examples: Do you believe that all Christians are protected from rape or sometimes does innocence get trespassed? I ask this because in Bible study tonight a girl told of how she was abused by her father when she was young....(we were asking the tough question tonight, of "where were you God when _______ happened?"

    The church I have attended regularly prays that the 'land of goshen' blessing remain over the church...meaning that while the world suffers from loss of jobs, a recession, et cetera that the Lord would continue to make them fruitful even as Egypt was stricken with curses but Goshen still had plenty...

    I am on the fence on this in my life. I see in Revelations that those who refuse to get the mark of the beast won't be allowed to buy or sell, so they probably will experience both want and hardship....just like someone I knew to be Christian was fired from her public high school job....

    BUT---I also believe that prayer does have power and that He will guard and guide us by his loving hand. Sometimes we do not see why we are laid off or fired, but we must trust that in God's Almighty plan there is purpose to all of our live's woes....

    So I am throwing the question to you the reader--

    Do Christians and Heathens suffer wordly woes--or are Christians excused from suffering physical or wordly wants?

    God bless
    tony

    ps. Yes, I know this is similiar to 'prosperity gospel threads'....but I am focusing more on if woes only befall the wicked...
    Jesus tells us that we will have trials in our lives as well as tribulations and persecutions. We will also have the same earthly desires as all mankind. The difference between the believer and the non-believer is Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

    What we as believers do when we ar in a trial or are being tempted or persecuted is different than what the non-believer does. Where they submit we surrender to Christ. Where they fall, we are lifted up by the Holy Spirit. Even if we fail, Jesus is still there to carry us.

    In Christ,
    John

  7. #7
    greatkraw
    Guest

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    "FOOTPRINTS" says it all

  8. #8
    Senior Member lightbliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2010
    Age
    22
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    5

    Thumbs up Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by silverwind View Post
    Jesus said 'in this world you will have troubles, but take heart, i have overcome the world'.

    No one is exempt. Everyone at some time in life will have troubles. Since the fall of man such has been the case. Who suffered unjustly? Jesus himself.

    Unfortunately innocent children suffer because of the sinfulness of mankind. So ... troubles=the result of sin.

    The question is, how strong are we while we go through troubles... do we immediately blame God? or do we pray for stronger faith, so that nothing can separate us from His love..and so that we can help others who experience similar things?!
    Well said.
    Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God.

    - Heywood Broun

  9. #9
    NodMyHeadLikeYeah
    Guest

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    It rains on the righteous and the unrighteous

  10. #10
    yahweh_is4me
    Guest

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by silverwind View Post
    Jesus said 'in this world you will have troubles, but take heart, i have overcome the world'.

    No one is exempt. Everyone at some time in life will have troubles. Since the fall of man such has been the case. Who suffered unjustly? Jesus himself.

    Unfortunately innocent children suffer because of the sinfulness of mankind. So ... troubles=the result of sin.

    The question is, how strong are we while we go through troubles... do we immediately blame God? or do we pray for stronger faith, so that nothing can separate us from His love..and so that we can help others who experience similar things?!
    I could not have said it better myself !! The joy of the Lord if our Strength He is always faithful .....We just have to cling closer to HIM while we are going through our storms .. Keep our eyes on HIM .. He will see us through it.. I know its hard I am going through this now ..but my LORD his holding me in his arms...!

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2009
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,955
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    John the baptist had his head chopped off. Paul was beaten many times and wrote lots of the bible when he was in jail. The bible clearly says bad things will happen to Christians because they live in this world of evil.

    The point is that if a Christian will keep holding onto to God even when a bad thing happens God will help them.

    Its not cool to think of John having his head cut off. But he went to heaven and didn't have to bother with this evil world any more.

    And he brought many souls to Christ while he was alive.

    Put Satan under your feet and help fight the evil.

  12. #12
    ed
    Guest

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by thefightinglamb View Post
    Just wanted to ask if you all believe that Christians are protected from worldly woes?

    Examples: Do you believe that all Christians are protected from rape or sometimes does innocence get trespassed? I ask this because in Bible study tonight a girl told of how she was abused by her father when she was young....(we were asking the tough question tonight, of "where were you God when _______ happened?"

    The church I have attended regularly prays that the 'land of goshen' blessing remain over the church...meaning that while the world suffers from loss of jobs, a recession, et cetera that the Lord would continue to make them fruitful even as Egypt was stricken with curses but Goshen still had plenty...

    I am on the fence on this in my life. I see in Revelations that those who refuse to get the mark of the beast won't be allowed to buy or sell, so they probably will experience both want and hardship....just like someone I knew to be Christian was fired from her public high school job....

    BUT---I also believe that prayer does have power and that He will guard and guide us by his loving hand. Sometimes we do not see why we are laid off or fired, but we must trust that in God's Almighty plan there is purpose to all of our live's woes....

    So I am throwing the question to you the reader--

    Do Christians and Heathens suffer wordly woes--or are Christians excused from suffering physical or wordly wants?

    God bless
    tony

    ps. Yes, I know this is similiar to 'prosperity gospel threads'....but I am focusing more on if woes only befall the wicked...
    Hi,
    Job 7:17 "What is man that you make so much of him, that you give him so much attention, that you examine him every morning and test him everey moment.............(...20. .....O watcher of men"
    My life in Jesus Christ has taught me that you can't be saved until you are in trouble and we can't trust in Him (believe in Him) until we have been saved sufficiently often enough from worse and worse situations, to finally say, I believe (I trust) in God Almighty and in His Son, my saviour Jesus Christ.
    No one learns to trust (believe) in God and Jesus from an academic teaching. We learn through real lessons in the real world. Christ often takes me out of my comfort zone, that is where I really start to learn. Whenever you are tested , praise God and give thanks.
    walk in love
    edwin

  13. #13
    Senior Member pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    13,871
    Rep Power
    31

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by thefightinglamb View Post
    Just wanted to ask if you all believe that Christians are protected from worldly woes?

    Examples: Do you believe that all Christians are protected from rape or sometimes does innocence get trespassed? I ask this because in Bible study tonight a girl told of how she was abused by her father when she was young....(we were asking the tough question tonight, of "where were you God when _______ happened?"

    The church I have attended regularly prays that the 'land of goshen' blessing remain over the church...meaning that while the world suffers from loss of jobs, a recession, et cetera that the Lord would continue to make them fruitful even as Egypt was stricken with curses but Goshen still had plenty...

    I am on the fence on this in my life. I see in Revelations that those who refuse to get the mark of the beast won't be allowed to buy or sell, so they probably will experience both want and hardship....just like someone I knew to be Christian was fired from her public high school job....

    BUT---I also believe that prayer does have power and that He will guard and guide us by his loving hand. Sometimes we do not see why we are laid off or fired, but we must trust that in God's Almighty plan there is purpose to all of our live's woes....

    So I am throwing the question to you the reader--

    Do Christians and Heathens suffer wordly woes--or are Christians excused from suffering physical or wordly wants?

    God bless
    tony

    ps. Yes, I know this is similiar to 'prosperity gospel threads'....but I am focusing more on if woes only befall the wicked...
    As to wether we suffer from the worldly woes? In the world we will.

    The question, or truth I am seeking in recient days?
    Do we need to suffer the worldly woes, because if we are in Jesus is Lord, the goal is to overcome the world in Jesus. So that the world woes no longer have any hold on us in Jesus.
    I think this is the question we need to ask.
    God bless, pickles
    Its really not that complicated, Jesus is the way, the truth and the life we are called to!
    The Joy of the Lord is your streangth!

  14. #14


    VW
    VW is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2009
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,579
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    As to wether we suffer from the worldly woes? In the world we will.

    The question, or truth I am seeking in recient days?
    Do we need to suffer the worldly woes, because if we are in Jesus is Lord, the goal is to overcome the world in Jesus. So that the world woes no longer have any hold on us in Jesus.
    I think this is the question we need to ask.
    God bless, pickles

    You are right, Pickles, we should not suffer worldly woes, because we are not of the world. But we will suffer, only for Christ. As Paul said, filling up that which is lacking in the suffering of Jesus. This brings Him great, unbelievable glory in heaven. And we suffer the cross of Christ.

    Some suffer in the world, for many reasons. But these are many times more blessed than those who do not.

    God's kingdom works differently than we imagine.

    Blessings in Him sister

  15. #15
    Senior Member pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    13,871
    Rep Power
    31

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by VW View Post
    You are right, Pickles, we should not suffer worldly woes, because we are not of the world. But we will suffer, only for Christ. As Paul said, filling up that which is lacking in the suffering of Jesus. This brings Him great, unbelievable glory in heaven. And we suffer the cross of Christ.

    Some suffer in the world, for many reasons. But these are many times more blessed than those who do not.

    God's kingdom works differently than we imagine.

    Blessings in Him sister
    Thankyou VW, Ive been struggling over this alot the last few weeks. Wondering why the hurt from another should be forgiven and forgotten. Asking Jesus this, Im not to let any of these things cause me sorrow? The answer Ive been getting is that saddness is OK, but mourn and move forward. Wether they change or not.
    Just when one gets comfortable , Jesus says, pruning time again.
    I wonder if Jesus gives a rest to us every six years as given in scriptures about letting the field rest?
    God bless, pickles
    Its really not that complicated, Jesus is the way, the truth and the life we are called to!
    The Joy of the Lord is your streangth!

  16. #16


    VW
    VW is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2009
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,579
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Thankyou VW, Ive been struggling over this alot the last few weeks. Wondering why the hurt from another should be forgiven and forgotten. Asking Jesus this, Im not to let any of these things cause me sorrow? The answer Ive been getting is that saddness is OK, but mourn and move forward. Wether they change or not.
    Just when one gets comfortable , Jesus says, pruning time again.
    I wonder if Jesus gives a rest to us every six years as given in scriptures about letting the field rest?
    God bless, pickles

    One of the biggest differences between us and the world is in our hearts, maybe the only real difference. Everyone gets hurt. Everyone. But when we are hurt before the wonderful work that God does in our hearts, we close up, shut the doors, and build walls to protect ourselvs from further hurt. And if someone begins to hurt us, we strike back, returning hurt for hurt. But that is not who we are now. When one closes up to keep from hurt, they also close up to God, because He would know us in the deepest parts, where the hurt is the most severe. But we open up to Him, and ask Him to come on, even to the very depths of our hearts, to shine the light of His love in us. And so we become vunerable again, just as little children. And we will suffer hurt, but it is in His name.

    In His love

  17. #17
    Senior Member pickles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2009
    Age
    54
    Posts
    13,871
    Rep Power
    31

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Amen VW, this is even more than what you speak to. Jesus is showing me that it is not the person, but the powers and principals of evil.
    In seeing all situations in this way it is easy to forgive the person. And to know a freedom in Jesus I never knew possible.
    My struggle is simply, I want this healed, and I need to accept that it is not only not up to me, but that if I accept this in Jesus, these things should no longer afflict me.
    I want this freedom in Jesus, but the fleshy part wants to be vindicated.
    I know what we are called to do.
    Im just kicking and screaming as I am set on this path. smiles
    The great love of God Our Father overcomes everything, in Jesus we live this.
    sigh....
    Like I said, pruning is sometimes hard, but only because one makes it.
    In Jesus, God bless. pickles
    Its really not that complicated, Jesus is the way, the truth and the life we are called to!
    The Joy of the Lord is your streangth!

  18. #18
    ed
    Guest

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Thankyou VW, Ive been struggling over this alot the last few weeks. Wondering why the hurt from another should be forgiven and forgotten. Asking Jesus this, Im not to let any of these things cause me sorrow? The answer Ive been getting is that saddness is OK, but mourn and move forward. Wether they change or not.
    Just when one gets comfortable , Jesus says, pruning time again.
    I wonder if Jesus gives a rest to us every six years as given in scriptures about letting the field rest?
    God bless, pickles
    Hi,
    We are called to be holy just as He is Holy. Can you imagine how many times God and Jesus have suffered at the hands of those He loves. You are called not only to forgive them but to treat them as a dear and much loved one, not counting their trespasses against you. Put yourself into the shoes of a person who is deeply in love with another. Then think how much you forgive that loved one when they cause you a hurt. Surely you rush to them and tell them it is forgotten, a trifle and almost beg them not to be upset because you were upset. You are completely and utterly over the initail hurt and are back simply loving them. We are to be of the one mind.
    This plainly illustrates how much we need these lessons so we can be Holy as He is Holy. It is not a road for the self willed or for cowards.
    walk in love
    edwin

  19. #19


    VW
    VW is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 22nd, 2009
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,579
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Amen VW, this is even more than what you speak to. Jesus is showing me that it is not the person, but the powers and principals of evil.
    In seeing all situations in this way it is easy to forgive the person. And to know a freedom in Jesus I never knew possible.
    My struggle is simply, I want this healed, and I need to accept that it is not only not up to me, but that if I accept this in Jesus, these things should no longer afflict me.
    I want this freedom in Jesus, but the fleshy part wants to be vindicated.
    I know what we are called to do.
    Im just kicking and screaming as I am set on this path. smiles
    The great love of God Our Father overcomes everything, in Jesus we live this.
    sigh....
    Like I said, pruning is sometimes hard, but only because one makes it.
    In Jesus, God bless. pickles

    Ultimately, the struggle to be in Christ, always. For in Him, these things do not exist. But Jesus had the same struggle. How many times did He ask, "Why can you not hear Me?" hear we see the living word of God, through which all things exist, and they cannot understand what He is saying. It was because the god of this world had blinded them. We know that it hurt, when they could not understand, whenthey called Him a liar, said He had a demon, tried to kill Him. But what about when they followed Him, simply because He feed them? How many times did it say that He did not commit to them?

    This may sound strange, but I am overjoyed that you share in this struggle.

    Vic

  20. #20
    Redeemed79
    Guest

    Default Re: poll: does God protect his children from 'wordly' troubles?

    We are IN the world but not OF the world so of course we suffer just as those in the world. The difference is that we are overcomers by the Blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony. This is what shows the world the hope we have in Jesus! If my suffering does anything to show an unbeliever that I have hope beyond this world and its woes then AMEN. Rejoice when trials and tribulations come upon you, we do not suffer in vain nor do we labour in vain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trinity vs. Oneness
    By GraceBeUntoYou in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1056
    Last Post: May 14th, 2014, 05:22 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 20th, 2012, 01:00 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: December 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM
  4. ENCODING THE IMAGINATION
    By sislt777 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 31st, 2009, 02:34 PM

Tags for this Thread