Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree7Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    December 31st, 2017
    Age
    74
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    In Rev 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

    First we must identify who this one is that came down from heaven and laid hold on the dragon I propose that this was Jesus Christ at His first coming.

    The word angel in the Greek can be translated as messenger. The pastors of the 7 churches are translated as angels, because they are messengers. They were not Spiritual angelic beings they were men.

    Mal 3:1 says, Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. In this passage Jesus is referred to as the messenger of the covenant.

    The one that came down from Heaven was the messenger of the covenant Jesus Christ.

    Jesus said, in Joh 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. Joh 6:42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?

    His purpose is in Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil.

    Again in 1Jn 3:8 For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

    According to this the purpose the Lord who came down from heaven was to subdue and (bind) the devil. None other could do it.

    Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

    The showdown was in Mat 4:1. Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

    Luke 4:14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. The authority of the Spirit of God was the Great chain in His hand.

    When Satan was chained we read this Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

    The Lord put him down and made himself, as Christ, ruler of Hell. No other man nor created angel could have done what He did. Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

    Mat 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David? But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

    In this scripture in reference to Satan’s house Jesus tells us that he bound him and was spoiling his house.

    Michael and his angels had a hard time casting the devil out of Heaven, but the Lord came down from heaven and, with one arm behind His back, He laid hold of the devil and subdued Him because He had the authority and the power. On the other hand Michael the Archangel would not even bring a railing accusation against Satan, but said the Lord rebuke you.

    In Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. Since Jesus has the keys of Hell and death how are we to suppose that He got them except he first bound Satan?

    We have found the one that came down from Heaven and here the one that has the keys to Hell and death. He doesn’t mention the keys to the kingdom ofHeaven because he gave those to Peter in Matthew the 16th chapter.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2017
    Age
    62
    Posts
    350
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    The angel with the key to the bottomless pit in Revelation 9:1-2 opens the botttomless pit.
    The angel with the key to the bottomless pit in Revelation 20:1 locks up and seals the bottomless pit.

    According to the angel in Revelation 17:8, the bottomless pit is that from which the beast with seven heads and ten horns shall rise from, which is the same as the sea in Revelation 13:1 from which the beast shall rise.
    It is the devil who vests his power to the beast which causes the beast to rise from the sea (Revelation 13:4). Put all these data together, and we see the devil as the star in Revelation 9:1-2 who opens the bottomless pit.
    Sometime after the beasts reign concludes, the angel in Revelation 20:1 then locks up the damage the bottomless pit will have produced as indicated in the events shown in Revelation 9.

    Revelation 13:4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    4,444
    Rep Power
    72

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    I would offer the key signified as a metaphor used in that parable in Revelation 20 is the gospel of Christ, as it is written by the finger or will of God.

    It was given by the Spirit of Christ, the anointing Holy Spirit of God, the one messenger/angel as the mediator between our father in heaven and man .As it the gospel was given to Peter by faith it is given from heaven as the doctrines of God fall like rain.It is freely given to all who become born again after the incorruptible seed the word of God. This is shown in Mathew 18 as it was with Peter in Mathew 16 as the key to whatsoever could be bound upon the earth shall be having first been bound in the heavens, and whatever things ye may loose on the earth shall be having been first loosed in the heavens. Like a chain it binds the lying spirits as it loosens His will. And like a bottomless pit it seals the fate of the father of lies.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Radius's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 11th, 2013
    Age
    36
    Posts
    809
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    I find these days it's no use having a discussion about Revelation on this board. Everyone has their own interpretation.
    Willie-T and oldethennew like this.
    “There's a way to preach the Bible unbiblically...You can use the Bible as the springboard for all kinds of ideas, can't you? Look around in here and find something that fits your fancy and then launch a rocket off it. People say, 'That was amazing, wasn't it? Remarkable what he got out of that.' Well of course it is, because he put it in before he got it out.”
    Alistair Begg

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 4th, 2016
    Age
    73
    Posts
    937
    Rep Power
    35

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Quote Originally Posted by lancaster View Post
    In Rev 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

    First we must identify who this one is that came down from heaven and laid hold on the dragon I propose that this was Jesus Christ at His first coming.

    The word angel in the Greek can be translated as messenger. The pastors of the 7 churches are translated as angels, because they are messengers. They were not Spiritual angelic beings they were men.

    Mal 3:1 says, Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. In this passage Jesus is referred to as the messenger of the covenant.

    The one that came down from Heaven was the messenger of the covenant Jesus Christ.

    Jesus said, in Joh 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. Joh 6:42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?

    His purpose is in Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil.

    Again in 1Jn 3:8 For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

    According to this the purpose the Lord who came down from heaven was to subdue and (bind) the devil. None other could do it.

    Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

    The showdown was in Mat 4:1. Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

    Luke 4:14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. The authority of the Spirit of God was the Great chain in His hand.

    When Satan was chained we read this Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

    The Lord put him down and made himself, as Christ, ruler of Hell. No other man nor created angel could have done what He did. Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

    Mat 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David? But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

    In this scripture in reference to Satan’s house Jesus tells us that he bound him and was spoiling his house.

    Michael and his angels had a hard time casting the devil out of Heaven, but the Lord came down from heaven and, with one arm behind His back, He laid hold of the devil and subdued Him because He had the authority and the power. On the other hand Michael the Archangel would not even bring a railing accusation against Satan, but said the Lord rebuke you.

    In Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. Since Jesus has the keys of Hell and death how are we to suppose that He got them except he first bound Satan?

    We have found the one that came down from Heaven and here the one that has the keys to Hell and death. He doesn’t mention the keys to the kingdom ofHeaven because he gave those to Peter in Matthew the 16th chapter.
    In the book of Revelation various angels were used and none of them were the Angel of the Lord. The Angel of the Lord at Malachi 3:1 is the preincarnate Jesus Christ. It should also be noted that the Angel of the Lord i.e Jesus Christ never appeared in the New Testament.

    IN GOD THE SON,
    james

  6. #6
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    75
    Posts
    2,853
    Rep Power
    95

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Quote Originally Posted by lancaster View Post
    First we must identify who this one is that came down from heaven and laid hold on the dragon I propose that this was Jesus Christ at His first coming.
    Lancaster,
    Before making such bizarre statements it would pay you to carefully study Scripture and then rightly divide (interpret) the Word of Truth.

    You claim that Jesus was the angel who laid hold on Satan and chained him in the bottomless pit AT HIS FIRST COMING. If this were really the case then (a) all the demons would also have been confined with Satan (who is their prince) and Christ would NOT have had to cast out a single demon, neither would the apostles have been commanded to do so. (b) Furthermore Satan could not have entered Judas Iscariot and caused him to betray Christ. And (c) the works of the Devil would not have been destroyed at the cross since Christ would not have been betrayed into the hands of His enemies.

    We do not need to create fantasies out of Scripture. Revelation 20 follows Revelation 19, and Rev 19 shows us the second coming of Christ for the battle of Armageddon. So everything in the next chapter is AFTER the second coming of Christ.
    Last edited by Nehemiah6; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:11 PM.
    Ahwatukee likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member OtherWay210's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 29th, 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Just to try to help here.

    To know what this is saying, we have to follow what its about ... And it goes without saying that we need to accept what it says if we believe in Christ.

    I am not sure why you said this is Christ at His first coming ?
    Revelation is about the events leading to the Second coming .
    Revelation Chapter 20 plainly says the Lords Day aka the Millennium .

    Revelation 20 explains plainly Satan is locked up, for a thousand years .
    This is After he already deceived the world as the false messiah ( the second beast )
    as the previous chapters explain .

    Given its Michael that fights with Satan which will lead to Satan being expelled from Heaven ( Revelation 12 ):
    its logical to accept that as the answer . That this """angel""" in ( Rev 20:1 ) is Michael being used to chain Satan in the pit during the Lords Day. If we want to call Christ anything, why not use what Revelation actually says? > ( Rev 19:16 ) ..


    This is Michael. The stage in the prophecy is already after the Tribulation of Satan's deception. The Christians that remained Loyal to the truth Christ, and waited for Him have eternal Life. Those that will be deceived or fall into apostasy ( the mark )
    are called dead during the Lords Day for the 1,000 years. Chapter 20 explains this .


    Just about every time angel is uses, its messenger. That wont help here . But we're told throughout Revelation what is going on so its hard to miss that these are supernatural beings . Both the good and the bad. Revelation 12 .

    Malachi 3:1 is refering to John the Baptist . Christ quoted this relating to his cousin John the Baptist..

    Matthew 11:10 For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
    Mat 11:11 Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.


    I'm not sure This verse in Malachi can help answer the question as to who the angel is locking up Satan in Revelation 20 .



    We know Christ came from heaven to suffer death and resurrect to give us eternal life.

    But that is not the subject matter in Revelation 20.

    We know its Christ that dispells the lies of Satan and removes Him from Jerusalem at the battle of Armageddon ( Revelation 16:14 )



    You said : " The authority of the Spirit of God was the Great chain in His hand."
    ( Where did you read that in the Bible ? Because Luke 4:14 does not say that.. ) So im just curious why you'd conclude that .

    We know Christ has all power in heaven and earth. But if you want the answer the Bible provides, and allows for, the farthest id go, is what the scriptures present in the context of the passages as it plays out there .

    Revelation 12, says its Michael, and his angels that'll expel Satan from Heaven .

    Its just that God has these people, and He has and will continue to use them such as this prophecy explains .

    Its just that God has these people, and He has and will continue to use them such as this prophecy explains .

    The keys of hell and death in Rev 1:18 . We know if we believe on Christ, we can avoid death, and hell ( Hades ) .
    But this is talking of the state of the Soul. I'm unsure why this answers the question in Revelation 20?


    Matthew 16:19 Jesus mentions the kingdom of the heavens. Id consider Acts 2, and how Peter was on
    the foundation of Christ that gave Peter the Truth to exercising authority
    That eludes to the Key of David. Knowing scriptures to where it can Not be altered. The door is Christ.
    Revelation 3:7


    Given Revelation 20 :1-2 is after the Tribulation of Satan ( Revelation 3:7 )
    It's safe to conclude the one Chaining Satan here is Michael the arch angel. The same one who God orders to exile Satan to Earth which kicks of the formulations of the The first beast ( Revelation 13:1-10 ) And his subsequent roll as False Messiah ( Antichrist ) the Lamb of God Revelation 13:11- 18)








  8. #8
    Senior Member OtherWay210's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 29th, 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Have to be careful with reading .. Some here are also saying that the angel is the one opening the pit in Revelation 9:1.. When the passage does not say that.
    The key is given to the Fallen Star Not the angel there. The Angel is simply sounding the Trump in Revelation 9:1 ...

    The only immediate relation to Chapter 20:1-2 and chapter 9 have to each other, is that Satan is preparing his army to deceive the world in Chapter 9 . While in Chapter 20 his deception comes to an end and is locked away for the duration of the Lords Day ..
    Last edited by OtherWay210; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:17 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member OtherWay210's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 29th, 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Revelation 3:7 was repeated by mistake twice in my reply . Revelation 20 :4-6 explaining its after tribulation that Satan is locked up .
    Last edited by OtherWay210; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:25 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member OtherWay210's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 29th, 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    ...............

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2017
    Age
    62
    Posts
    350
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Quote Originally Posted by OtherWay210 View Post
    Have to be careful with reading .. Some here are also saying that the angel is the one opening the pit in Revelation 9:1.. When the passage does not say that.
    The key is given to the Fallen Star Not the angel there. The Angel is simply sounding the Trump in Revelation 9:1 ...

    The only immediate relation to Chapter 20:1-2 and chapter 9 have to each other, is that Satan is preparing his army to deceive the world in Chapter 9 . While in Chapter 20 his deception comes to an end and is locked away for the duration of the Lords Day ..
    I'm sorry if I didn't explain myself more clearly, I will try again.
    In Revelation 9:1 we see the fifth angel sounding (providing warning) in what is about to occur.
    In Revelation 9:2 we see a star fall to the earth who has the key to the bottomless pit from which the beast with ten horns shall rise (Revelation 17:8).
    The beast with ten horns who rises from the bottomless pit is the same beast with ten horns who rises from the sea in Revelation 13:1.
    In Revelation 13:4 we see it is the dragon who gave this power from the sea to the beast with ten horns.
    From this data we then realize the star in Revelation 9:2 who has the key to the bottomless pit from which the beast rises is the same dragon, who was cast to the earth in Revelation 12:9.

    The angel in Revelation 20:1, however, does not open the bottomless pit, but instead is another angel who locks and seals the devil within the bottomless pit for his having opened it and causing all the damage described in Revelation 9.

  12. #12
    Senior Member OtherWay210's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 29th, 2016
    Age
    35
    Posts
    267
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Okay louis no problem.

    I like to try to read along as closely as possible to how its written there . Because it was a bit too condensed in the language you used, people might get the impression they can find the horns in Revelation 9 .

    It may be implied, given the chapter goes into the 6th Trump on into the 10th chapter . But people reading it for the first time wont realize that and get confused . There is already enough denominations in the world ..Some started all because they perceive language different. Bad doctrines just spin off from that point ..
    Last edited by OtherWay210; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:34 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Ahwatukee's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2015
    Age
    60
    Posts
    5,997
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    124

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    In Rev 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

    Greetings Lancaster,
    First we must identify who this one is that came down from heaven and laid hold on the dragon I propose that this was Jesus Christ at His first coming.


    First of all, the angel who throws Satan into the Abyss and seals it over him is simply not identified in the context. And second this could not have taken place at Christ's first coming, because that would mean that Satan and his angels would have been thrown into and restricted to the Abyss so that they could no longer deceive the inhabitance of the earth.

    It would also mean that we would have already gone through the thousand year reign of Christ, where at the end of Satan is thrown into the lake of fire, the great white throne judgment would have had to have already taken place and believers would already be living in the eternal state in the new heaven, new earth and new Jerusalem.

    Other reasons, and there are many, why Satan could not have been bound at the first coming of Christ, is because Peter warns us saying "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." Kind of hard to prowl around like a roaring lion if you're restricted in the Abyss. Just to name a few.
    7777pinacled likes this.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control ...

    I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit ...

    This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit ....

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2016
    Age
    69
    Posts
    6,442
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Radius View Post
    I find these days it's no use having a discussion about Revelation on this board. Everyone has their own interpretation.
    ================================================== ===
    Radius,

    take heart, this is a place of learning what others in our world think and believe, and a place
    to share and teach - just be concerned about how your Heavenly Father has been educating all
    of us, 'here a little, there a little'...we must find His Truths in different ways -
    His gift of discernment comes to us at different times about different things in each our lives,
    who are truly seeking His Ways, it's truly the most amazing adventure of our lifetime...
    Ahwatukee likes this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    4,634
    Rep Power
    110

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Quote Originally Posted by lancaster View Post
    In Rev 20:1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

    First we must identify who this one is that came down from heaven and laid hold on the dragon I propose that this was Jesus Christ at His first coming.

    The word angel in the Greek can be translated as messenger. The pastors of the 7 churches are translated as angels, because they are messengers. They were not Spiritual angelic beings they were men.

    Mal 3:1 says, Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. In this passage Jesus is referred to as the messenger of the covenant.

    The one that came down from Heaven was the messenger of the covenant Jesus Christ.

    Jesus said, in Joh 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. Joh 6:42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?

    His purpose is in Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil.

    Again in 1Jn 3:8 For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

    According to this the purpose the Lord who came down from heaven was to subdue and (bind) the devil. None other could do it.

    Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

    The showdown was in Mat 4:1. Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

    Luke 4:14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. The authority of the Spirit of God was the Great chain in His hand.

    When Satan was chained we read this Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

    The Lord put him down and made himself, as Christ, ruler of Hell. No other man nor created angel could have done what He did. Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

    Mat 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David? But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

    In this scripture in reference to Satan’s house Jesus tells us that he bound him and was spoiling his house.

    Michael and his angels had a hard time casting the devil out of Heaven, but the Lord came down from heaven and, with one arm behind His back, He laid hold of the devil and subdued Him because He had the authority and the power. On the other hand Michael the Archangel would not even bring a railing accusation against Satan, but said the Lord rebuke you.

    In Rev 1:18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. Since Jesus has the keys of Hell and death how are we to suppose that He got them except he first bound Satan?

    We have found the one that came down from Heaven and here the one that has the keys to Hell and death. He doesn’t mention the keys to the kingdom ofHeaven because he gave those to Peter in Matthew the 16th chapter.
    First we must identify who this one is that came down from heaven and laid hold on the dragon I propose that this was Jesus Christ at His first coming.

    The word angel in the Greek can be translated as messenger. The pastors of the 7 churches are translated as angels, because they are messengers. They were not Spiritual angelic beings they were men.


    Rv 9:1-11
    9 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.


    I saw a star fall from heaven The word translated as star is ἀστέρα which can mean angel of light.

    The word translated as fell is πεπιτωκότα which can mean descended.

    2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
    3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
    4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
    5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
    6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
    7 And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
    8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
    9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
    10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.
    11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.
    KJV

    This is presumably the same angel, as there is unlikely to be more than one angel of the bottomless pit; so your question is answered; but apparently not as you expected..
    Last edited by MarcR; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:54 AM.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2017
    Age
    62
    Posts
    350
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahwatukee View Post


    First of all, the angel who throws Satan into the Abyss and seals it over him is simply not identified in the context. And second this could not have taken place at Christ's first coming, because that would mean that Satan and his angels would have been thrown into and restricted to the Abyss so that they could no longer deceive the inhabitance of the earth.

    It would also mean that we would have already gone through the thousand year reign of Christ, where at the end of Satan is thrown into the lake of fire, the great white throne judgment would have had to have already taken place and believers would already be living in the eternal state in the new heaven, new earth and new Jerusalem.

    Other reasons, and there are many, why Satan could not have been bound at the first coming of Christ, is because Peter warns us saying "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." Kind of hard to prowl around like a roaring lion if you're restricted in the Abyss. Just to name a few.
    Very good analysis in putting one and one together correctly; thereby dividing the Word correctly.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,426
    Rep Power
    98

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Why cant people just take the Bible words for what they say? When it says an angel comes down from heaven and throws satan into the bottomless pit why don't they just believe what the Bible says .. That it is an Angel? Do you think John who wrote the Book of Revelation knew the difference between the returning LORD Jesus Christ and an angel, I do.. If Jesus was going to throw satan into the bottomless pit would not John say something like And the King of Kings came down out of heaven and laid hold of satan and cast him into the bottomless pit... Or maybe The WORD came down out of heaven and laid hold of satan and cast him into the bottomless pit?

    Lets see the verse in context:: We see John describing Jesus and His return and how Jesus is down on earth and smites the army of the beast before the Angel with the great chain and key comes down out of heaven to lay hold of satan..

    Revelation 19: KJV
    11
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. {12} His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. {13} And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. {14} And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. {15} And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. {16} And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. {17} And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God; {18} That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great. {19} And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. {20} And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. {21} And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh. Revelation 20 KJV: 1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand."2 "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season."

    So the above passage says that Jesus called the WORD and the KING of KINGS comes down to earth and smites the army of the beast.. He is already down on earth and destroyed the army of the beast and the beast and the false prophet are captured and cast into the Lake of Fire.. After this John in verse 1 of the very next chapter says that an Angel comes out of heaven and binds satan and casts him into the bottomless pit.. Note satan is NOT cast into the Lake of Fire at this time.. Once satan is cast into the lake of fire ( in Revelation 20 verse 10 ) then he will never get out of the lake of fire.. But satan will be released from the bottomless pit at the end of the 1000 years as revealed in Revelation 20 verse 7...

    Revelation 20: KJV
    {7} And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, {8} And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. {9} And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. {10} And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."
    Ahwatukee likes this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Ahwatukee's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2015
    Age
    60
    Posts
    5,997
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    124

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Adstar View Post
    Why cant people just take the Bible words for what they say? When it says an angel comes down from heaven and throws satan into the bottomless pit why don't they just believe what the Bible says .. That it is an Angel? Do you think John who wrote the Book of Revelation knew the difference between the returning LORD Jesus Christ and an angel, I do.. If Jesus was going to throw satan into the bottomless pit would not John say something like And the King of Kings came down out of heaven and laid hold of satan and cast him into the bottomless pit... Or maybe The WORD came down out of heaven and laid hold of satan and cast him into the bottomless pit?

    Lets see the verse in context:: We see John describing Jesus and His return and how Jesus is down on earth and smites the army of the beast before the Angel with the great chain and key comes down out of heaven to lay hold of satan..

    Revelation 19: KJV
    11
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. {12} His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. {13} And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. {14} And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. {15} And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. {16} And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. {17} And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God; {18} That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great. {19} And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army. {20} And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. {21} And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh. Revelation 20 KJV: 1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand."2 "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season."

    So the above passage says that Jesus called the WORD and the KING of KINGS comes down to earth and smites the army of the beast.. He is already down on earth and destroyed the army of the beast and the beast and the false prophet are captured and cast into the Lake of Fire.. After this John in verse 1 of the very next chapter says that an Angel comes out of heaven and binds satan and casts him into the bottomless pit.. Note satan is NOT cast into the Lake of Fire at this time.. Once satan is cast into the lake of fire ( in Revelation 20 verse 10 ) then he will never get out of the lake of fire.. But satan will be released from the bottomless pit at the end of the 1000 years as revealed in Revelation 20 verse 7...

    Revelation 20: KJV
    {7} And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, {8} And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. {9} And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. {10} And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."
    Greetings Adstar and well said! Unfortunately, we do have people who just can't take the words of the Bible for what it says. As I'm sure you know, we have a whole group of people who don't even believe that there will be a literal thousand year period, even though it is stated six times with Rev.20:1 thru 7. Then there are people who don't believe in the literal number of 144,000 even though it is the number that John said he heard of those who were sealed. They can't accept that God's word means what it says. And they have no ability to discern between the literal and the symbolic.

    How awesome it would be if everyone was in agreement in regards to the word of God.
    Nehemiah6 likes this.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control ...

    I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit ...

    This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit ....

  19. #19
    Senior Member 7777pinacled's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2017
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahwatukee View Post


    First of all, the angel who throws Satan into the Abyss and seals it over him is simply not identified in the context. And second this could not have taken place at Christ's first coming, because that would mean that Satan and his angels would have been thrown into and restricted to the Abyss so that they could no longer deceive the inhabitance of the earth.

    It would also mean that we would have already gone through the thousand year reign of Christ, where at the end of Satan is thrown into the lake of fire, the great white throne judgment would have had to have already taken place and believers would already be living in the eternal state in the new heaven, new earth and new Jerusalem.

    Other reasons, and there are many, why Satan could not have been bound at the first coming of Christ, is because Peter warns us saying "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." Kind of hard to prowl around like a roaring lion if you're restricted in the Abyss. Just to name a few.
    A lion wounded grievously, and has no power to cause the Children of the Light to fear.

    even a child will play over the hole of the adder

  20. #20
    Senior Member Ahwatukee's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2015
    Age
    60
    Posts
    5,997
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    124

    Default Re: Who was the Angel in Revelation 20

    Quote Originally Posted by 7777pinacled View Post
    A lion wounded grievously, and has no power to cause the Children of the Light to fear.

    even a child will play over the hole of the adder
    Forgive me but, what does your response have to do with the issue of the thousand years beginning when Christ was crucified vs. the thousand years still being a future event?

    If by saying "A lion wounded grievously, and has no power to cause the Children of the Light to fear" is in reference to Satan's binding, it will be a literal binding underneath the earth in the Abyss, so that neither he nor his angels will have access to the surface of the earth. As far as the children of the light, i.e. believers in Christ, we will rule with him during that thousand years in our immortal and glorified bodies.

    even a child will play over the hole of the adder
    I am assuming that the above is in reference to one of the characteristics of the thousand year period regarding a young child sticking his hand into a vipers nest and not being harmed at all.

    My original point in all of this is that the thousand year reign of Christ has not yet begun and will not until after God's wrath has been poured out upon the earth via the seals, trumpets and bowl judgments, where at their completion the Lord will return to the earth to end the age and establish his millennial kingdom.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control ...

    I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit ...

    This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why is Revelation 1:10 key to understanding the book of Revelation?
    By EarsToHear in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: November 24th, 2016, 08:16 PM
  2. Replies: 42
    Last Post: May 1st, 2016, 12:21 AM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 10th, 2016, 09:40 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 30th, 2013, 11:55 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM