Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 171
Like Tree78Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

  1. #41
    Senior Member posthuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2013
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,200
    Rep Power
    315

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Marcelo, this thread will at some point have to deal with how 1 Corinthians 9:19-21 speaks of the covenant Law, the "law of God" and "the law of Christ" as being distinct from one another.

    Though I am free of obligation to anyone, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the Law I became like one under the Law (though I myself am not under the Law), to win those under the Law. To those without the Law I became like one without the Law (though I am not outside the law of God but am under the law of Christ), to win those without the Law.

    i'm actually surprised we can get to page 3 before it's quoted here!

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,788
    Rep Power
    47

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    and no one said he did.
    Mean all law in OT is God's law.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Marcelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    852
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson123 View Post
    Mean all law in OT is God's law.
    That's right! All law in the OT is God's law -- also known as Moses' law -- and they are not binding to Christians today.
    Ahwatukee likes this.

  4. #44
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,429
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    Ok, no doubt God highlighted the Ten Commandments, but that doesn't mean they could never be replaced by a new law. Where is it stated in the Bible that the Ten Commandments were different from the other 603 laws regarding duration of validity.
    Serious? See post # 35 . You deny the Word of God to hold on to the traditions and teachings of men that break the Commandments of God. How can you hear the voice of God when you deny his Word?

    Only God's Word is true and we should BELIEVE and FOLLOW it. Those practicing SIN and teaching others to do so, will not see the Kingdom of Heaven come judgement day. These are the least but they do not know it.

    God's sheep hear his voice...

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,913
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    226

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    Is there any difference between the "Law of God" and the "Law of Moses"?
    No.

    However there is a difference between the Old covenant given by Moses and the New covenant given by Jesus,
    Marcelo and VirtualViolet like this.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,913
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    226

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    Righteousness under the Law would need to begin with faith toward God, and those who believed God were accounted to be righteous under the Law. Study Hebrews 11.

    32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:

    33
    Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

    34
    Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.

    35
    Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:

    36
    And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
    37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;

    38
    (Of whom the world was not worthy: they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

    39
    And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

    40
    God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

    That passage is about righteous through faith not righteousness under the Law,,,the passage about how folks are judged under the law is as follows:

    Romans 3
    For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10as it is written:

    “None is righteous, no, not one;
    11no one understands;
    no one seeks for God.
    12All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
    no one does good,
    not even one.”
    13“Their throat is an open grave;
    they use their tongues to deceive.”
    “The venom of asps is under their lips.”
    14“Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
    15“Their feet are swift to shed blood;
    16in their paths are ruin and misery,
    17and the way of peace they have not known.”
    18“There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

    19Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20For by works of the law no human beingc will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

  7. #47
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,429
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    It seems many do not know what the Old Covenant is. If you do not know what the Old Covenant is how can you know what the New covenant is? If you close your ears to the Word of God how can you hear him calling? If you have lost your mirror and your lamp has gone out how can you find your way when the road is dark and narrow?

  8. #48
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    20,181
    Rep Power
    490

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    It seems many do not know what the Old Covenant is.
    Which one? There were several...


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,913
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    226

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    I agree that we should strive to keep God's law and live as holy people set apart for His glory.

    However I believe the difference between the Old covenant and the New is why we strive to keep certain laws like the ten commandments. Also Jesus gave a new law not found in the old testament. He commanded people to "Love one another as I have loved you."

    We see God's love in the Old testament 5through His grace and forgiveness in His justice and in his sending of prohets.

    However it wasn't until Jesus that God became man and loved as one of us...not as a king who demands obedience but a suffering servant who gives love and healing.

    The reason we as New convenant believes follow God's laws is not fear of punishment but out of overflowing love God has placed in our hearts for others and ourselves.

    We obey because we understand God's purpose for giving the law is love and not rules to make us tremble in fear, but to keep us safe and allow us to live in harmony with one another.

    I hope one day we can all have the honor of hearing God say that he will no longer call us slaves but friends for slaves don't understand their masters will and only obey grudgingly to avoid punish. Friends listen because of love.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,913
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    226

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    It seems many do not know what the Old Covenant is. If you do not know what the Old Covenant is how can you know what the New covenant is? If you close your ears to the Word of God how can you hear him calling? If you have lost your mirror and your lamp has gone out how can you find your way when the road is dark and narrow?
    Because it's not about you and what you know,but if you know Jesus.

    Jesus is not a lamp we can misplace, He is holding onto us.

    The old covenant was given on Mount Sinai thru Moses.

  11. #51
    Senior Member lightbearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2017
    Age
    51
    Posts
    331
    Blog Entries
    16
    Rep Power
    9

    Smile Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses; He that have the Ear let him hear

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson123 View Post
    Moses never create his own law.
    That is true. But there is a difference between the book of the Law which is called the Law of Moses and the Ten Commandments. One was penned by Moses through GOD and placed on the side of the Ark as a witness against us due to the judgements contained therein. And the other was written on Tables of Stone by the finger of GOD and placed on the inside of the Ark as a Testimony; the Body of Christ, the Temple of GOD. For the Lord thy GOD will circumcise our hearts and the hearts of our seed. Not in tables of stone but the fleshly tables of our hearts.

    Able bodied ministers. Not of the letter but of the Spirit. Not that that our sufficiency is of our selves but of GOD! For it is HE that works in us both to will and do HIS good pleasure. As JESUS said, "HE doeth the Work" through us.

    So Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ (Anointed; GOD's commands and statutes written in the Book of the Law. In other words the Word; the Divine utterances) down from above:) Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ (Anointed; GOD's commands and statutes written in the Book of the Law. In other words the Word; the Divine utterances) again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word (the Divine utterances; Christ the Anointed; GOD's commands and statutes written in the Book of the Law.) is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: (that thou mayest do it). That is, the word of faith, which we preach and that is the GOSPEL!
    Last edited by lightbearer; 1 Week Ago at 06:18 AM.
    LORD I believe; help THOU my unbelief! For YOU have given us all things that pertain to Life and godliness through Jesus Christ.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,913
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    226

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    The old covenant

    Exodus 19-20


    20 The Lord descended to the top of Mount Sinai and called Moses to the top of the mountain. So Moses went up 21 and the Lord said to him, “Go down and warn the people so they do not force their way through to see the Lord and many of them perish. 22 Even the priests, who approach the Lord, must consecrate themselves, or the Lord will break out against them.”

    23 Moses said to the Lord, “The people cannot come up Mount Sinai, because you yourself warned us, ‘Put limits around the mountain and set it apart as holy.’”

    24 The Lord replied, “Go down and bring Aaron up with you. But the priests and the people must not force their way through to come up to the Lord, or he will break out against them.”

    25 So Moses went down to the people and told them.

    ****

    And God spoke all these words:

    2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

    3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.

    4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

    7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

    8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

    12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

    13 “You shall not murder.

    14 “You shall not commit adultery.

    15 “You shall not steal.

    16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

    17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

    18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance 19 and said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.”

    20 Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.”

    21 The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,913
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    226

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses; He that have the Ear let him hear

    Galatians 4

    21 Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. 23 His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise.

    24 These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. 25 Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother. 27 For it is written:

    “Be glad, barren woman,
    you who never bore a child;
    shout for joy and cry aloud,
    you who were never in labor;
    because more are the children of the desolate woman
    than of her who has a husband.”[e]

    28 Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. 29 At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. It is the same now. 30 But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.”[f] 31 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.

  14. #54
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,429
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    The old covenant

    Exodus 19-20


    20 The Lord descended to the top of Mount Sinai and called Moses to the top of the mountain. So Moses went up 21 and the Lord said to him, “Go down and warn the people so they do not force their way through to see the Lord and many of them perish. 22 Even the priests, who approach the Lord, must consecrate themselves, or the Lord will break out against them.”

    23 Moses said to the Lord, “The people cannot come up Mount Sinai, because you yourself warned us, ‘Put limits around the mountain and set it apart as holy.’”

    24 The Lord replied, “Go down and bring Aaron up with you. But the priests and the people must not force their way through to come up to the Lord, or he will break out against them.”

    25 So Moses went down to the people and told them.

    ****

    And God spoke all these words:

    2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

    3 “You shall have no other gods before[a] me.

    4 “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

    7 “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

    8 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

    12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

    13 “You shall not murder.

    14 “You shall not commit adultery.

    15 “You shall not steal.

    16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

    17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”

    18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance 19 and said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.”

    20 Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.”

    21 The people remained at a distance, while Moses approached the thick darkness where God was.

    Hello Ariel, do you know what the Old Covenant is? If you do not know what the Old Covenat is how can you know what the NEW Covenant is? Many lose their way when their lamps go out.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,913
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    226

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Yes I posted scriptures that show that the Old covenant was established in Sinai and is the Law, it demanded complete obedience.10 % tithes, sin offerings yearly, Sabbath worship weekly, yearly feasr, etc.

    Do you know what the New covenant is?

    What God demand of His people Today?

  16. #56
    Senior Member Marcelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2016
    Age
    66
    Posts
    852
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Originally Posted by Marcelo
    Ok, no doubt God highlighted the Ten Commandments, but that doesn't mean they could never be replaced by a new law. Where is it stated in the Bible that the Ten Commandments were different from the other 603 laws regarding duration of validity.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveGodForever View Post
    Serious? See post # 35 .

    Post #35 is too long. Just tell me where in the Bible is stated that the Ten Commandments are different from the other 603 laws with respect to validity period.

  17. #57
    Senior Member LoveGodForever's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,429
    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    Yes I posted scriptures that show that the Old covenant was established in Sinai and is the Law, it demanded complete obedience.10 % tithes, sin offerings yearly, Sabbath worship weekly, yearly feasr, etc.
    Do you know what the New covenant is? What God demand of His people Today?
    You indeed do not know what the Old Covenant is and is the reason I asked the question. How can you know what the New covenant is if you do not understand the Old Covenant?

    Please read post # 35 linked you must have missed it.

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2014
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,788
    Rep Power
    47

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses; He that have the Ear let him hear

    Quote Originally Posted by lightbearer View Post
    That is true. But there is a difference between the book of the Law which is called the Law of Moses and the Ten Commandments. One was penned by Moses through GOD and placed on the side of the Ark as a witness against us due to the judgements contained therein. And the other was written on Tables of Stone by the finger of GOD and placed on the inside of the Ark as a Testimony; the Body of Christ, the Temple of GOD. For the Lord thy GOD will circumcise our hearts and the hearts of our seed. Not in tables of stone but the fleshly tables of our hearts.

    Able bodied ministers. Not of the letter but of the Spirit. Not that that our sufficiency is of our selves but of GOD! For it is HE that works in us both to will and do HIS good pleasure. As JESUS said, "HE doeth the Work" through us.

    So Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ (Anointed; GOD's commands and statutes written in the Book of the Law. In other words the Word; the Divine utterances) down from above Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ (Anointed; GOD's commands and statutes written in the Book of the Law. In other words the Word; the Divine utterances) again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word (the Divine utterances; Christ the Anointed; GOD's commands and statutes written in the Book of the Law.) is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: (that thou mayest do it). That is, the word of faith, which we preach and that is the GOSPEL!

    Do you believe 10 commandment is New covenant?

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,913
    Blog Entries
    69
    Rep Power
    226

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    i read it. I just don't agree with the post.

    if ind your understanding of old and new covenant to be lacking the full counsel of God.

    you believe my understanding to be lacking.

    let us be honest and frank with one another.

    i agree there is a difference between the ten commandments and the ceremonial laws.

    i have stated we should keep the laws of God.

    do you believe when i make that statement, I am saying we should keep the ceremonial laws?

    i believe i do understand what you are saying and in part i agree. we no no longer sacrifice animals to cover our sins for we have Jesus as our Passover Lamb.

    however I don't believe you understand what I am saying: Jesus came and gave us a new commandment.

    do you know it? do you live it?

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2015
    Age
    83
    Posts
    7,894
    Rep Power
    97

    Default Re: Law of God vs. Law of Moses

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    Could you post Scripture to back up your thoughts here? Thanks

    I find no OT saint "looking forward" to the cross. Even Jesus' disciples had no clue about the cross. Did prophets write about the sufferings of the coming Messsiah? Yes, but had no understanding.
    Isa 52.13 - 53.12? It seems understandable to me.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Moses' final speach, "Happy Birthday Moses" 120 candles!
    By BenAvraham in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 20th, 2015, 06:49 AM
  2. The law of Moses
    By ivanc0 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: April 20th, 2015, 09:55 AM
  3. ~~~~~~~~~~According to the law of Moses
    By MissPickles in forum Christian Family Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: July 21st, 2014, 11:39 PM
  4. the law of Moses
    By just-me in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: July 21st, 2014, 09:12 AM
  5. Was there law before Moses?
    By Bornfromabove in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: May 4th, 2012, 02:39 AM