Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 530
Like Tree871Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Some common misconceptions about God;

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2017
    Posts
    906
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by lastofall View Post
    Just to add to my before comments (I had to be away for a while).

    Concerning resisting the devil: we resist the devil by doing the opposite of what he would like us to do, which is to confront and withstand mistreatment, so that we will continue being a natural brute beast as the rest of the unbelieving world.
    Contrariwise if we were to be merciful and forgiving, then would we be like God: this is resisting the devil, and not the other way.
    Putting off our old man and denying our self only is true when we do actually turn away from the carnal mind and disown our own will; otherwise again, we will have not been in Christ as of yet. How does God's Word tell us to overcome evil?
    As for David, in his office was physical; but in ours is spiritual: we resist the devil by taking the wrong and forgiving: we follow Christ, and any other; if so be that we truly are following the true and biblical Jesus Christ, otherwise we follow some Jesus of our own making.
    This premise is suspect.
    It's not clear as to what you are saying. Mistreatment can come in many forms. And as our Lord instructed the disciples to go out in pairs, we should do so likewise.
    Two witnesses of character.

    Our Lord's Will is for us to rebuke and eskew evil.
    Only satan and his kind call Good evil.
    Similar to Solomon being forewarned by his father not to be surrounded with wicked counsel.

    As far as the Toruth is concerned, we shouldn't need to teach, but remind one another, or warn eachother of possible harm.
    Just as it was with yakov (jacob) as an example
    He left laban after being mistreated.
    And there are far more serious examples of mistreatment (abuse) that as believers should never counsel anyone to willing knowingly put themselves in harm's way.

    Our Lord intstructed us to Pray for those who have mistreated us and that is all.
    Last edited by 7777pinacled; February 12th, 2018 at 12:49 PM.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2017
    Posts
    906
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by joaniemarie View Post
    It's totally obvious those of you who "disagree" with the post and posts did not read it through nor did you guys read through the explanations for the verses as to why satan is able to go after man. When Adam sinned he gave up man's right to rule over the earth and tend it and take care of it. Adam ignorantly gave satan the authority God gave Adam by not believing God loved and cared for both Adam and Eve. That God would not with hold any good thing from them. satan lied and cast doubt in Adam and Eve's mind about the goodness of God and they foolishly fell for the lie satan told them when he told them that God knows when you eat the fruit you will be like God and God doesn't want you to have something good., He wants to keep you down and with hold good things from you.

    But then., Jesus the last Adam....took back the authority and gave it to us who are saved. Yet many Christians including many here., do not know their authority nor can they claim it because it must be done by faith. And in order to have that faith., you have to know what your having faith in. You have to know the promises and the things that have been freely given to you.

    Many who have posted objections here did so without any reading of any of the explanations with the Bible verses. It's really very sad to see. God said His people die for lack of knowledge and as all that God says is true., it is certainly true here.
    The man was not decieved,....

    As I've offered help about this subject a multitude of times now.
    Adam was not decieved, and if you Listen to the Holy Spirit you will understand that neither Our heavenly Father not Adam gave any authority to satan.

    And there is nothing more to discuss.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    75
    Posts
    5,104
    Rep Power
    195

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by joaniemarie View Post
    Adam ignorantly gave satan the authority God gave Adam by not believing God loved and cared for both Adam and Eve.
    There is no such teaching in Scripture, but this is probably what false teachers are promoting. Adam did NOT have any power to give Satan any authority (directly or indirectly). Adam and Eve were cast out of Eden and brought a curse upon the whole creation. God allows Satan to continue to oppose Him since then, and because the human race are all sinners, they come under the influence of Satan. Satan is "the prince of the power of the air" (meaning that he rules over all the evil spirits which inhabit the first and second heavens) and he is also "the god of this world" (which means that all false religions and idolatry have their source in Satan).

    Does God allow Satan to attack and oppress Christians just as he was allowed to attack Job? Absolutely. Does God have TOTAL AUTHORITY over Satan? Absolutely. Had God chosen to do so, the Devil and his evil angels would already be in the Lake of Fire. But God has another plan, and the day is coming when God will allow Satan and the Antichrist (the Beast) to take full control of this world for 3 1/2 years (42 months). That is when the Mark of the Beast will be forced upon people upon pain of beheading.

    4 And they worshipped the dragon [Satan] which gave power unto the beast [the Antichrist]: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

    5
    And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

    6
    And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

    7
    And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

    8
    And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. (Rev 13:4-8).

  4. #44
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,175
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    509

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by joaniemarie View Post
    Hi Maxwell., Maybe you should ask Paul Ellis yourself. You can contact him right on his web site. He answers people's questions all the time. If you check out his site., you will see it is sort of like a posting forum kind of format only not like it is here where we can answer within seconds or minutes of each another. He is not an American since he has a very different accent than us here in the USA. I heard one of his videos explaining some about his website. But that was a while ago.

    I'm not nor have I ever been suspicious of him I suppose because I have read what he has written in depth and what he writes is in line with the Bible and my understanding of it. So as far as being suspicious of him., I have no need to be. He hasn't said anything I harshly disagree with. Although as I said., we don't see the end times the same but that is not a major problem IMO.

    I'd say Paul E. is just a regular guy and if you ask., you can get an answer. Maybe your skills of searching things out on the internet are not so great OR maybe his business is just not out there for all to see? I have no idea. I'm sorry some people here are so suspicious of him., BUT lol., those same people here on CC also think wrong and wacky things about me too. Another reason I don't believe anything ill of Mr. Ellis. His words and his writings speak for themselves. As do mine.

    This is different though. Usually you post stuff you agree with. In this case you posted something you yourself said you disagree with.

    And honestly? Satan didn't have to ask God if he could mess with Job? Didn't that set off warning signs in your head? That was neon lettering the size they used in Vegas, plus firecrackers and fireworks, plus the smell of year-old rotten eggs in a low-tide swamp, plus the shock of an uncapped electric wire hitting my skin warning bad. Just truly off the deep end so far he couldn't even be seen below bad.

    You trust a guy enough to post him even when you disagree with him?

    Yeesh! I've seen stuff I disagreed with Spurgeon on, (although, after a few years, I'm now beginning to think he might be right in his harshness of "papists"), so wouldn't post. I trust Spurgeon, but not blindly!

    I've read stuff from scholars I do trust, and yet take the time to think out what they say enough to actually disagree with them sometimes. And if I disagree with them, the only reason I'd post it on here is to find out what others think too.

    You posted this like this is exactly what you believe and exactly what everyone should believe, and then turned around and dismissed it because you disagree. And then you talked about the Bible as if what he said had anything to do with the Bible other then bringing up characters out of a book. This was nothing short of badly-thought-out, badly-written fan fiction.

    And yet, now you say you trust him? What for?

    He obviously doesn't have a clue. You don't trust him. You've given no credence to trust him, and yet you say you trust him?

    Worse yet, because you copy-pasted this for all to agree with, and then took back that all should agree with it to the point of even you don't agree with it, then why would we trust you? Because something-something about the Bible? Because something-something about you just trust whoever you want to trust? Because you never bothered to check out credentials? Because you have stuff you don't even believe to share?

    I do agree with you about believing what the Bible says. How about doing one better and actually giving us what the Bible says rather than a very long litany of men you don't even know who they are and their opinions, even if their opinions are the exact opposite of what the Bible does say?

    I know that sounds like the pot calling the kettle black, but at least I know who Spurgeon was. You have no idea who Ellis is other than some dude with many websites espousing his fan-fiction. That's not Bible. That's Google!
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  5. #45
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,175
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    509

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by stonesoffire View Post
    Is he full of the Holy Ghost?
    Obviously not, since he doesn't have a clue who God is or what the Bible says.
    Speak2Me and 7777pinacled like this.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  6. #46
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,175
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    509

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by stonesoffire View Post
    1Co 2:4 My message and my preaching were not accompanied by clever, wise words, but by a display of the Spirit's power,


    1Co 2:5 so that your faith would not be based on human wisdom but on God's power.
    Wisdom from the Spirit

    1Co 2:6 However, when we are among mature people, we do speak a message of wisdom, but not the wisdom of this world or of the rulers of this world, who are passing off the scene.


    1Co 2:7 Instead, we speak about God's wisdom in a hidden secret, which God destined before the world began for our glory.


    1Co 2:8 None of the rulers of this world understood it, because if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.


    1Co 2:9 But as it is written, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined the things that God has prepared for those who love him."


    1Co 2:10 But God has revealed those things to us by his Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the deep things of God.


    1Co 2:11 Is there anyone who can understand his own thoughts except his own inner spirit? In the same way, no one can know the thoughts of God except God's Spirit.

    There is revelation.
    However, Paul knew God's word. This Ellis character doesn't even know that.

    I mean, seriously? Satan didn't go to God about Job? A first grader could tell that's a lie! Or, at the very best, someone didn't do their homework!

    A "pastor" who doesn't even know the Bible like a first grader could? A "pastor" who is totally clueless about the beginning of Job? That's bad! As bad as it gets.

    That's no pastor. That's no fullness of the Holy Spirit. That's a bad example of a bad conman!

    Why are you trying to make this into something other than it is? The guy taught all right. He taught the opposite of what the Bible says. If you went to a dentist and the doctor wanted you to take off your shoe so he could see your foot, would you be defending him as a good man? Would you let him treat your foot, when you have a problem with a tooth? Why are you trying to make this into a "let's see it from all angles" thing?

    This is clearly, utterly, without any ability to disagree and argue over it no matter what we believe, not-a-teacher, not-a-pastor, not-a-Biblical-scholar, not-even-able-to-teach-at-the-first-grade-level, only-one-angle conman!

    I wouldn't even let my teddy bear learn from this scoundrel!
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  7. #47
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,175
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    509

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by joaniemarie View Post

    Hi Deade., Well, I'm sure this won't be the first time you will not agree with all I post. Over the last year or so., I've discovered something major about other Christians Deade., Many are very intelligent and know many parts of the Bible really well. Some can even be teachers and pastors and evangelists in their denominations. Some know Greek and Hebrew!

    But it's become a stark reality for me to discover that many Christians are like I was before coming to the knowledge of the truth that we human Christians don't know it all. Many Christians are acting out in their flesh when they are not willing to see the forest from the trees when they don't agree with another Christian about certain interpretations.

    Nor will they look any further into the topic to get it cleared up. So sure are they in fact ... they will not find out if it is true or not. Since the accusation is based on things they don't agree with anyway., they are not interested in clearing it up. Or since they don't like the person in the first place because of something they heard. , or based on personality conflicts. It's much like only reading part of a letter. They totally miss the context and even refuse to read the the whole to get the context.


    I've been on this site since 2013 and despite the thousands of words and posts I've written I'm still seen through a lens of prejudice by some here. Many people (Christians too) do not want to be confused with the facts. And to try to tell them is a waste of time until God intervenes and gives them insight to the contrary.
    Sadly, this is the state of many believers in the body of Christ today. Their love has waxed cold.

    Aside from that side note Deade., ., the tribulation we get doesn't come from God. Jesus tells us that we will have tribulation but it comes from 3 places.,... 1. The world 2. The flesh 3. The devil. We will have those 3 things to deal with the whole time we are here on planet earth. But make no mistake about it., God is not the author of evil or confusion.

    That and other answers to your questions are in the posts by Paul E. as well on the topic of Job. You have but to look and read. I hope you do. Did Jesus ever send evil? If we want to see the Father., we look to Jesus.

    The trying of our faith will come because we live here on this sinful planet but when we walk by faith and not by sight., we will see God is faithful at all times and in all situations. And that is why we can be joyful in the trials and the trying of our faith., because Jesus has already went before us and won the battle. As we trust in Him., we will see the victory lived out in our lives as He lives His live in and through us.

    Gal.2:20 I am crucified with Christ., never the less I live...yet it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me.,.. and the life I now live I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me.

    As we walk in the Spirit we will see Jesus living His live out in us. This is to be counted pure JOY. The Holy Spirit is a in us and is our Teacher., Guide., Comforter., who will lead us into ALL truth as we go along.

    John 7:37b-38

    If any man is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink!
    38 He who believes in Me [who cleaves to and trusts in and relies on Me] as the Scripture has said, From his innermost being shall flow [continuously] springs and rivers of living water.



    So much more to this subject. This is the life of the Spirit lived out in our lives here. We can count it alllll JOY. Many are not joyful because they think it's God sending them evil and sickness and death. Oh dear this is false teaching.

    Is that why you posted this stuff even you disagree with? You were acting out of your flesh?

    You seem to be blaming everyone else, and then patting your heart like you aren't that. Really?

    Again. The guy didn't think Satan went to God about Job!!!

    And somehow that's on everyone else, not you.
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  8. #48
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,175
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    509

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    Character Qualifications are a Necessity for Ministry:

    A leader in the church, like a pastor or teacher, someone who leads and teaches, must have particular character qualifications.

    These aren't invisible or mysterious, they are simple character qualities that everyone can easily see.

    If a man doesn't have these character qualities, that are plain for all to see, then he is disqualified from ministry.



    What are these Character Qualifications?


    A pastor or leader cannot be a liar or deceiver, he is to be ABOVE REPROACH, and UPRIGHT, and HOLY... he cannot be someone who lies or deceives, or does any number of other bad things.

    Tit 1:7 For an overseer {pastor}, as God's steward, must be above reproach. He must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain,
    Tit 1:8 but hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined.


    These qualifications apply, essentially, to anyone in a position of ministerial authority, like pastors, teachers, elders, etc.



    What if a Minister Doesn't Possess These Character Qualities?

    If a minister doesn't possess these character qualities, then no matter how much we like him, he is not fit for ministry.

    If any man turns out to be an intentional liar, or deceiver, or various other things, he is unfit for ministry.

    This is why we hear about certain ministers being "defrocked"... because they violate these sacred qualifications in scripture.



    What about Dr. Paul Ellis?

    I don't know if he's lying about many things or not.

    He certainly seems EXTREMELY suspicious, in many different ways.

    If it turns out he's lying about his credentials... then he's not fit for ministry.

    Period.

    Has nothing to do with me... it's in the Bible.



    Let me reiterate... this is not debatable.
    If it turns out he is intentionally lying about his credentials, then he is unfit for ministry, according to the Bible.
    It has nothing to do with me.

    I have nothing further to add, so I'm exiting the thread.





    He's lying about one thing. He calls himself a pastor and yet didn't know Satan did go to God to get permission to mess with Job.

    (Didn't even need to investigate to see that. lol)
    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,028
    Rep Power
    90

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by joaniemarie View Post
    Hi guys! (including you ladies too) Yes I know.... this is not what we have been traditionally taught in the Baptist church. But you have to admit there are many things we have been taught that we had to un learn concerning God that we were taught in the world., or the other churches we went to for that matter.
    If you post blatant heresy like your point #4, expect people to blatantly oppose it.

    I guess Paul's thorn in the flesh should have been healed if he had enough faith - so if Paul did not have enough faith to have pain or suffering in his own life, then we should not be reading any of his epistles - so pull all his letters out of the NT! LOL!

    No, it is not a joke! Teaching like what you post on this thread is dangerous and heretical!
    Last edited by Chester; February 12th, 2018 at 02:14 PM.
    Speak2Me likes this.

  10. #50
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,238
    Rep Power
    243

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by joaniemarie View Post
    About Dr. Paul Ellis

    I never meant to start a blog. You might say Escape to Reality came about by accident.
    For 10 years my wife and I led a multicultural church in Hong Kong. That was an “accident” too. I never wanted to be a pastor. In fact, I couldn’t think of a job I wanted less. But God ambushed us and it was one of the best adventures of our lives.
    At the same time I was a professor at a gung-ho business school. I worked six days a week and led a church on Sundays. It nearly killed me.
    Then we moved to New Zealand, I began to write and this is the result.
    Why do I write? So that you may know that there is no bad news in the good news, and that life without Jesus is like a frame without a picture.
    C.S. Lewis said, “Reality is something you couldn’t have guessed.” You could not have guessed that God loves you even when you’re a messed-up sinner. You could not have guessed that his grace is greater than your mistakes. You could not have guessed this because God’s love is greater than you can conceive or imagine.
    Life isn’t about keeping the rules or pleasing the boss or paying the bills. Real life is the adventure of learning who you truly are – a dearly-loved child of God. If your goal is to explore the vast reaches of your Father’s love, you’ve come to the right place! If you want to walk in the freedom of God grace,
    What else?
    I’m a born and bred Cantabrian although I grew up in the great state of Western Australia. I’ve lived for years in Asia, briefly in California, and now in Auckland. If you’re interested, you can keep up with my news on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or see what I’m reading on Goodreads. I’ve written briefly about my own grace journey here.
    Camilla is my first, best and last wife. We were married in 1999 and each year has been better than the last. We have four amazing kids.
    If you would like to support my work, read this.
    If you want to invite me to speak, read this.
    If you’re looking for a short bio or photo you can use in your newsletter or magazine, go here.
    You can contact me here.
    About Escape to Reality
    E2R went live on 5 February, 2010. Published articles are indexed by scripture and subject. Check out the archives for more or use the search box at the bottom right of this page.
    What am I working on now? Read the latest post to find out.
    Found something you like on this site? Feel free to click the “Share” buttons found under every post. Use those button and you won’t need to read the Copyright Policy, which is relevant for other forms of sharing (e.g., book excerpts, magazine reprints, and church newsletters).
    Got something to say? The comment policy page will show you how to say it to best effect.





    Here you go Maxwell., He is not so mysterious at all. AND here is a link should you still want to see for yourself if he is unfit. Just "click" and you can contact him. I guess according to some., we are guilty until proven innocent.


    Above Defense of Dr Paul Ellis

    This "about page" attempting to defend the credentials of Dr. Paul Ellis contains NO ACTUAL CREDENTIALS... there are zero SPECIFIC, VERIFIABLE FACTS.

    Because it contains no verifiable facts regarding his credentials, it CANNOT logically constitute a defense of his credentials.






    This page of info about Dr Paul Ellis is vague, unverifiable nonsense.

    There is not one bit of specific or verifiable information in here.

    There is no mention of specific churches he pastored, specific universities he taught at, where he obtained his degrees, what specific degrees he holds, or even if he holds any degrees at all. There is not even a shred of information about his undergraduate work, let alone his doctoral degree. There is nothing.

    This is a long page of nothing.

    He offers up no credentials, and no qualifications, and nothing verifiable of any kind.

    It's a long page of nothing.




    Follow Whoever you like.


    I have zero interest in this guy, seriously... I'm just pointing out he seems incredibly odd and suspicious.

    If you want to follow someone incredibly odd and suspicious, who makes a lot of claims he doesn't feel inclined to back up... that's your business.

    Follow whoever you like.



    When your business becomes our business:

    Following whoever you like is YOUR business.
    But, if you begin to promote and defend that person publicly, then that becomes EVERYONE'S business.
    Last edited by maxwel; February 12th, 2018 at 02:29 PM.

  11. #51
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    5,486
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    Above Defense of Dr Paul Ellis

    This "about page" attempting to defend the credentials of Dr. Paul Ellis contains NO ACTUAL CREDENTIALS... there are zero SPECIFIC, VERIFIABLE FACTS.

    Because it contains no verifiable facts regarding his credentials, it CANNOT logically constitute a defense of his credentials.






    This page of info about Dr Paul Ellis is vague, unverifiable nonsense.

    There is not one bit of specific or verifiable information in here.

    There is no mention of specific churches he pastored, specific universities he taught at, where he obtained his degrees, what specific degrees he holds, or even if he holds any degrees at all. There is not even a shred of information about his undergraduate work, let alone his doctoral degree. There is nothing.

    This is a long page of nothing.

    He offers up no credentials, and no qualifications, and nothing verifiable of any kind.

    It's a long page of nothing.




    Follow Whoever you like.


    I have zero interest in this guy, seriously... I'm just pointing out he seems incredibly odd and suspicious.

    If you want to follow someone incredibly odd and suspicious, who makes a lot of claims he doesn't feel inclined to back up... that's your business.

    Follow whoever you like.



    When your business becomes our business:

    Following whoever you like is YOUR business.
    But, if you begin to promote and defend that person publicly, then that becomes EVERYONE'S business.
    Academic Qualifications
    1995, Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Information Management and Marketing, University of Western Australia
    1991, Bachelor of Commerce (First Class Honours), Department of Management, University of Western Australia
    Employment History
    2007 – 2011, Professor, Dept of Management and Marketing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    2003 –2007, Associate Professor, Dept of Management and Marketing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    2000 – 2003, Associate Professor, Dept of Business Studies, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    1996 – 2000, Assistant Professor, Dept of Business Studies, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    1995, Lecturer and course coordinator, Dept of Organisational and Labour Studies, University of Western Australia
    One Response to Curriculum Vitae: Paul Ellis https://effectsizefaq.com/about/cv/
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  12. #52
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,238
    Rep Power
    243

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Joaniemarie please note,

    As I explained in our PM exchange,
    I agreed to exit this thread unless you decided to post this vague "about page" as an attempt to justify and defend the claims of Ellis.

  13. #53
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,238
    Rep Power
    243

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Marc,

    Thank you for posting something substantive.

    Can you verify this is the same Paul Ellis who's writing books defending the hypergrace movement?



    I saw nothing regarding any christian or religious works in the information you linked to.

  14. #54
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    5,486
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    Above Defense of Dr Paul Ellis

    This "about page" attempting to defend the credentials of Dr. Paul Ellis contains NO ACTUAL CREDENTIALS... there are zero SPECIFIC, VERIFIABLE FACTS.

    Because it contains no verifiable facts regarding his credentials, it CANNOT logically constitute a defense of his credentials.






    This page of info about Dr Paul Ellis is vague, unverifiable nonsense.

    There is not one bit of specific or verifiable information in here.

    There is no mention of specific churches he pastored, specific universities he taught at, where he obtained his degrees, what specific degrees he holds, or even if he holds any degrees at all. There is not even a shred of information about his undergraduate work, let alone his doctoral degree. There is nothing.

    This is a long page of nothing.

    He offers up no credentials, and no qualifications, and nothing verifiable of any kind.

    It's a long page of nothing.




    Follow Whoever you like.


    I have zero interest in this guy, seriously... I'm just pointing out he seems incredibly odd and suspicious.

    If you want to follow someone incredibly odd and suspicious, who makes a lot of claims he doesn't feel inclined to back up... that's your business.

    Follow whoever you like.



    When your business becomes our business:

    Following whoever you like is YOUR business.
    But, if you begin to promote and defend that person publicly, then that becomes EVERYONE'S business.
    I have no interest in defending him. I don't agree with him at all. I just don't see his credentials as a valid point of attack.

    If you look at my posts over time you will see that I have corrected spurious attacks on several people I disagree with.

    I consider you a good friend ; and certainly don't want to offend you; but I place a high value on intellectual integrity, as do you! I assume that if the criticism were not warranted you would want it known.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  15. #55
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    5,486
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    Marc,

    Thank you for posting something substantive.

    Can you verify this is the same Paul Ellis who's writing books defending the hypergrace movement?



    I saw nothing regarding any christian or religious works in the information you linked to.
    His short biography on Amazon. where his books are sold supports every point.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  16. #56
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,238
    Rep Power
    243

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    I have no interest in defending him. I don't agree with him at all. I just don't see his credentials as a valid point of attack.

    If you look at my posts over time you will see that I have corrected spurious attacks on several people I disagree with.

    I consider you a good friend ; and certainly don't want to offend you; but I place a high value on intellectual integrity, as do you! I assume that if the criticism were not warranted you would want it known.

    Marc,

    If his credentials are valid, they are NOT a valid point of attack.

    However, if they turned out to be invalid, then they constitute a very serious point of attack.

    Many loony heterodox preachers teaching loony heterodox doctrines... well... many of them actually use fraudulent credentials. Happens all the time.

    Therefore, if his credentials WERE fraudulent, then that deceptive activity would disqualify him from ministry.




    My look into his credentials was a simple, and normative, tactic of circumventing the entire argument.


    1. "IF" his credentials were fraudulent, then that would disqualify him from ministry.
    2. Therefore, whatever he's written regarding ministry and doctrine would become automatically suspect, if not wholly irrelevant.
    3. Therefore, checking someone's claims about himself is a very logical, normal, and basic thing to do.



    Really hard for me to believe this is the same guy you linked to with all the credentials:

    To be honest, his exegesis seems to be so intellectually absurd, and illogical, that I honestly DO have to question if THIS Paul Ellis is the really the same Paul Ellis for whom you found these credentials.

    If it's the same guy, that's perfectly fine... we'll refocus the debate on other issues.

    But I do feel logically justified to at least QUESTION if this is the same guy:
    1. His exegesis is just so terrible, and so illogical, it's hard to imagine he's some great intellectual... though it is possible.
    2. It is EXTREMELY unusual for a man to spend $200,000, give or take, getting a PhD from a major university, and then HIDING it on most of his books, websites, and publications, as if he's ashamed of it... it's possible, but very unusual.

    But as I said, if THIS Paul Ellis is the same guy with all the credential you linked to, then that's fine, and we'll just refocus the argument elsewhere.

    If this is the same guy, that's fine.
    But I think my suspicions are perfectly reasonable.

  17. #57
    Senior Member MarcR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2015
    Age
    78
    Posts
    5,486
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    Marc,

    Thank you for posting something substantive.

    Can you verify this is the same Paul Ellis who's writing books defending the hypergrace movement?



    I saw nothing regarding any christian or religious works in the information you linked to.
    The site these credentials come from is a business oriented site that would have no interest in his religious work.
    MarcR



    Blessings on you! (Nu 6:24-26)


    Col 3:16-17
    16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
    17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

    KJV

  18. #58
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    75
    Posts
    5,104
    Rep Power
    195

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    But I think my suspicions are perfectly reasonable.
    Even if his credentials were acceptable, he is a false teacher and that is the bottom line. There are all kinds of theologians, scholars, evangelists, pastors, and teachers who are completely off base and attack the Word of God at every opportunity. When it comes to spiritual matters, academic or other qualifications mean nothing. The apostles were "unlearned men" and we should never forget that.

  19. #59
    Senior Member joaniemarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2017
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,031
    Rep Power
    152

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Academic Qualifications
    1995, Doctor of Philosophy, Department of Information Management and Marketing, University of Western Australia
    1991, Bachelor of Commerce (First Class Honours), Department of Management, University of Western Australia
    Employment History
    2007 – 2011, Professor, Dept of Management and Marketing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    2003 –2007, Associate Professor, Dept of Management and Marketing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    2000 – 2003, Associate Professor, Dept of Business Studies, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    1996 – 2000, Assistant Professor, Dept of Business Studies, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    1995, Lecturer and course coordinator, Dept of Organisational and Labour Studies, University of Western Australia
    One Response to Curriculum Vitae: Paul Ellis https://effectsizefaq.com/about/cv/


    Thank you Marc for posting this. I did not post the Paul E. page to defend him but that Max would go on the link and ask Paul Ellis himself where is says he can be contacted personally. I don't think he or any of the people I share on CC needs defending. It never occurs to me when I share the writings of other Christians I've enjoyed and been blessed by to post their credentials. Actually it's the farthest thing from my mind. I take them by what they write and what they say.

    I believe their opinions in their videos and their writings speak clearly for them if people here would read or listen to them for themselves. If they don't agree., it's 100% right to agree to disagree as you have done.

    You Marc are an example to follow for integrity and honesty and fairness. Thank you again and God bless you.




  20. #60
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,238
    Rep Power
    243

    Default Re: Some common misconceptions about God;

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    The site these credentials come from is a business oriented site that would have no interest in his religious work.
    Marc,

    I"m on Amazon right now, looking at his religious books, and I am finding NOTHING in his author bio that cross checks with the credentials you dug up.

    Let me know if you can find any academic credentials that also contain a picture, or something linking him as the author of these religious works.

    All we've establish so far is that there is a guy named Paul Ellis who is an academic scholar... I don't think we've establish yet that this is the same guy. This religious author may be the same guy, but I've seen nothing yet correlating the two.


    I need to get back to work,
    let me know what you find.
    Last edited by maxwel; February 12th, 2018 at 03:23 PM.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Common Misconceptions Of Hyper-Grace
    By BenFTW in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 205
    Last Post: June 17th, 2016, 08:33 PM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last Post: December 12th, 2014, 06:46 PM
  3. Misconceptions
    By KBond in forum Christian Poems & Poetry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 28th, 2014, 01:21 PM
  4. MISCONCEPTIONS!!!
    By OddOne in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: September 3rd, 2013, 09:37 AM
  5. Common Misconceptions Not Found in the Bible
    By Tintin in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: February 11th, 2013, 08:23 PM