Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 365
Like Tree694Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

  1. #101
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,038
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    362

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela53510 View Post
    I read Greek and Hebrew well, do you? I can easily find errors in any version, including the KJV. Can you?

    I do not “worship out of a book!” I worship out of my heart, the living God. The Bible is my guide, it teaches me and reveals Jesus Christ.

    If you knew knew anything about theology, you would realize the concept is what counts, not wooden literalism. The KJV is not aeays effective in conveying meaning in the receiving language, in our case, English. Especially because the grammar and many words are obsolete! The KJV is fine but it is not the best translation!

    My advice to worship Jesus, read whichever version you like! But no person’s salvation is ever dependent on a Bible translation. That is beyond absurd.
    AMEN...worship the GOD of the version and not the version itself.......rather simple.....

  2. #102
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,038
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    362

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by finaldesire View Post
    In 1611, the 54 scholars who produced the King James Bible drew significantly from Tyndale, as well as from translations that descended from his.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tyndale
    AMEN....stated above in their own preface they state that they compared it diligently to English version before it and they even state that they wanted ANOTHER English version....as a matter of fact the O.T. was practically copied verbatim.......man I have heard people say that JESUS and PAUL preached out of a KING JAMES.....shows how ignorant and "cultish" this whole debacle is......

  3. #103
    Senior Member dcontroversal's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2013
    Age
    51
    Posts
    28,038
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    362

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-Pevensie View Post
    .....LIES That's all you have

    There are multitudes saved who have NEVER read a single word from the King James VERSION.

    Everybody from ADAM to 1611...............MILLIONS plus.....and then everybody from 1611 to the present........that did not hear the gospel from a King Jimmy......
    Dino246 and Lucy-Pevensie like this.

  4. #104
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    49,448
    Rep Power
    361

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by KingJamesVersionBibleOnly View Post
    How do you ignore the fact that the KJV Bible was the book that landed as the foundation for English language Bibles? How could you possibly walk away from the largest possible hint (of God) in the History of English Christianity. In my eyes it is just the proof of God, and I am so fortunate to clearly notice his very obvious works.
    By who’s authority? Gods?

    Man made it an authority. Not God. God would nbot take a flawed translation and make it an authority/. But thanks., We know you follow men, thats all we need to know.
    dcontroversal likes this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  5. #105
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18,929
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    398

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    That's not as bad as a well-respected member insulting a newcomer is it?
    All members should be treated with respect.
    posthuman, MarcR, Dino246 and 1 others like this.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2017
    Age
    62
    Posts
    526
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    There is this documentary on the King James bible that appears every now and then on the PBS channels.
    It describes how King James spent a small fortune hiring the best translaters, who over several years translated all the known manuscripts of scriptures.
    Before this translations were mostly in latin, so that the people were unable to comprehend what was written in the Word.
    The bible was deliberately kept out of the hands of the people by the clergy (or the Roman Catholic Church), until King James came around.

    Additionally, for many years I used to use the revised berkely version in modern English, until one day I read this passage in Hosea 3:1 about how Israeli's worshipped raisin cakes causing them to fall away from God.
    Since having a fondness for pastry seemed somewhat of an odd reason causing people to fall away from God, I then decided to look at the King James Version that I had, but which I avoided due to its harder to understand Old English.
    In it the same passage showed how the Israeli's love for flagons of wine was the cause for their falling away from God.
    As an ecess love for alcohol seemed like a much more credible reason for falling away from God than a love for pastries, I have since kept using the KJV.

    Revised Berekley edition: Hosea 3:1 Again the Word of the Lord said unto me, "Go, love a woman now in love with a paramour, herself an adulteress, besides; such is the way the Lord loves His people Israel, even though they keep turning to other gods and love raisin cakes.

    KJV Hosea 3:1 Then said the Lord unto me, Go yet, love a woman beloved of her friend, yet an adulteress, according to the love of the Lord toward the children of Israel, who look to other gods, and love flagons of wine.

  7. #107
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    49,448
    Rep Power
    361

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    Yes, the proof is in the fruit. The KJV spurred on the largest revival to Jesus Christ the world has ever seen. The greatest missionaries and preachers the world has ever seen used the KJV and knew they were holding the very preserved words of God.

    What's the fruit of the new versions? How about casting doubt on God's word? How about the ushering in of the Laodicean Age? How about a luke warm church where no real revival occurs or soul winning?

    So because God was able to use it, It is the ONLY version we should use, there you have it folks, it does not matter if thousands, maybe even millions have been saved who only saw the NASB, and never read a King Jimmy, It does not matter if today many many people are getting saved in churches who use the ESV, The NIV even the NLT (Although I would not recommend that to anyone, God still uses it)

    Your saying God is limited. And can not work except only in one bible which in itself is flawed. The english language is flawed. It can not in a word to word translation properly convey the greek text. By this fact alone ALL ENGLISH BIBLES are flawed. Why do you think many greek scholars who are also pastors expand the translation fo the text? Because in order to OCMPLETELY and PROPERLY interpret the greek bible to english, the NT itself would be almost twice as big. Because it would take that many words.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  8. #108
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    49,448
    Rep Power
    361

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela53510 View Post
    I was saved reading a modern Catholic translation in a revival where KJV wasn’t used! The fact is, the KJV was the only version available in the days of the Great Awakening and other revivals. But I bet they used Welsh Bibles in the revival in Wales.

    Besides, it was not the KJV that saves people, in a revival, awakening or any other move of God. It is GOD! The Holy Spirit is the one who brought these revivals to pass. And apostasy, does abound, no doubt about. But whoever brainwashed you to believe losing a Bible translation is the reason we do not have revivals is ridiculous!

    There actually are revivals going on in many parts of the world, where NO English Bible is used. Like in China, and in the Muslim world. Don’t be so America-centric! And don’t doubt God for his ability to save people with the gospel in any translation or any language.

    God is sovereign, not a translation!
    Amen, it is not the King Jimmy which saved, IT IS GOD!!
    gb9, NotmebutHim, Dino246 and 2 others like this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,207
    Rep Power
    59

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    AMEN...worship the GOD of the version and not the version itself.......rather simple.....
    Is the God you worship the true, holy and pure God? If so, His word would be true, holy and pure. Do you have His pure, holy and pure words? If so, where?

  10. #110
    Senior Member Lucy-Pevensie's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2017
    Age
    50
    Posts
    949
    Rep Power
    68

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    Is the God you worship the true, holy and pure God? If so, His word would be true, holy and pure. Do you have His pure, holy and pure words? If so, where?
    He is indeed, Who is yours?
    Ezekiel 36
    *Then they will know that I am the Lord*




  11. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,207
    Rep Power
    59

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post

    Your saying God is limited. And can not work except only in one bible which in itself is flawed. The english language is flawed. It can not in a word to word translation properly convey the greek text. By this fact alone ALL ENGLISH BIBLES are flawed. Why do you think many greek scholars who are also pastors expand the translation fo the text? Because in order to OCMPLETELY and PROPERLY interpret the greek bible to english, the NT itself would be almost twice as big. Because it would take that many words.
    You claim I am limiting God and then go on to say God is limited to the original languages since a word for word translation to English is not possible for our God. Our God can speak English and have His holy word translated into English as He has chosen in the KJV. A word for word translation? Maybe not, but even in the originals we have translations from one language to another, not a word for word. I'm ok with that. Are you?

  12. #112
    Senior Member Depleted's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2015
    Age
    61
    Posts
    19,984
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    414

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela53510 View Post
    I was saved reading a modern Catholic translation in a revival where KJV wasn’t used! The fact is, the KJV was the only version available in the days of the Great Awakening and other revivals. But I bet they used Welsh Bibles in the revival in Wales.

    Besides, it was not the KJV that saves people, in a revival, awakening or any other move of God. It is GOD! The Holy Spirit is the one who brought these revivals to pass. And apostasy, does abound, no doubt about. But whoever brainwashed you to believe losing a Bible translation is the reason we do not have revivals is ridiculous!

    There actually are revivals going on in many parts of the world, where NO English Bible is used. Like in China, and in the Muslim world. Don’t be so America-centric! And don’t doubt God for his ability to save people with the gospel in any translation or any language.

    God is sovereign, not a translation!
    I was saved through a rock opera written by a nonbeliever. (Jesus Christ Superstar.)

    Go figure.


    Lynn

    Still woman, but no lady.

    And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. Rom. 8:28

  13. #113
    Senior Member hornetguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2016
    Age
    63
    Posts
    4,324
    Rep Power
    146

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by Depleted View Post
    I was saved through a rock opera written by a nonbeliever. (Jesus Christ Superstar.)

    Go figure.


    HERETIC!!

    Funny, but I see they are coming out with a new version of that... a movie, I think. I'm looking forward to it. Although, without Helen Reddy, it might be lacking.... we'll see.

    It's really a great rock opera, as long as you don't expect it to be Biblically accurate.

    edit.... my mistake... it will be live on stage, not a movie.
    Depleted likes this.
    No man is really saved unless he is in his heart obedient to Christ. C.H. Spurgeon

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2016
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,561
    Rep Power
    55

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by KingJamesVersionBibleOnly View Post
    Have you people never heard the phrase "Better safe than sorry?"
    - This is your eternal afterlife you are gambeling with, yet chose to roll the dice?
    I don't operate from a "better safe than sorry" attitude! I am not gambling with the afterlife or rolling the dice.

    I am sticking to truth! And Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. And his Word has been very genuinely and securely and trustworthily preserved for us.
    hornetguy and MichaelOwen like this.

  15. #115
    Senior Member MichaelOwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    29
    Posts
    678
    Rep Power
    57

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    I don't operate from a "better safe than sorry" attitude! I am not gambling with the afterlife or rolling the dice.

    I am sticking to truth! And Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. And his Word has been very genuinely and securely and trustworthily preserved for us.

    My whole thought is this....I would rather die believing in Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior and just die....versus dying completely rejecting Jesus and claiming He isn't real and dying and be wrong
    tourist and Lucy-Pevensie like this.

  16. #116
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2016
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,561
    Rep Power
    55

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelOwen View Post

    My whole thought is this....I would rather die believing in Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior and just die....versus dying completely rejecting Jesus and claiming He isn't real and dying and be wrong
    Yea, I get what you say . . . but it is not a "rather than" for me . . . I am 100% convinced of the truth and I will not budge on it!

    Truth = Jesus Christ

  17. #117
    heartofdavid
    Guest

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Greek interlinear
    Textus receptus.
    Kjv pretty close.
    I still check it though.
    The mod translations are not so close,but a beginner might use one for a season.

  18. #118
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    49,448
    Rep Power
    361

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by dcontroversal View Post
    AMEN....I started to mention the addition to Mark when it was thrown out as evidence in a "tongues" thread and emphatically stated that if one does not have the two of the three signs mentioned that they are not saved and do not possess the spirit, but knew that this particular person would reject it and then argue so I just left it.....funny thing.....they ALL leave off the drinking any deadly thing.....I have asked them how many times have they had a cup of bleach or a glass of acid but the answer is always they same........we speak in tongues and it proves we are saved.........I am fairly confident that JESUS understand my English just fine.......
    Amen bro. Many children of God have been bitten by a snake and have died, and drank poison and have died. Which would either make them NOT children of God because they did nto have the proper credentials. Or Mark as seen in the KJV is flawed.
    dcontroversal likes this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  19. #119
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    49,448
    Rep Power
    361

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    Is the God you worship the true, holy and pure God? If so, His word would be true, holy and pure. Do you have His pure, holy and pure words? If so, where?
    His word, As written is holy and pure.

    The KJV is a translation of that word. And written by men, So no one should expect it to be without flaws.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  20. #120
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    49,448
    Rep Power
    361

    Default Re: KING JAMES VERSION BIBLE VS. MODERN ENGLISH BIBLE

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    You claim I am limiting God and then go on to say God is limited to the original languages since a word for word translation to English is not possible for our God. Our God can speak English and have His holy word translated into English as He has chosen in the KJV. A word for word translation? Maybe not, but even in the originals we have translations from one language to another, not a word for word. I'm ok with that. Are you?
    God did not promise an inspired english language, You saying god can only use on translated english text and is unable to use the rest.

    That is limiting God.
    Dino246 and Lucy-Pevensie like this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 27th, 2015, 02:25 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 28th, 2014, 02:14 PM
  3. Replies: 535
    Last Post: January 7th, 2014, 06:54 AM
  4. The New King James Version (NKJV): Another counterfeit and bogus bible
    By ChosenbyHim in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: July 25th, 2012, 02:45 AM
  5. King James Version (KJV) Bible English translation errors!
    By Scotth1960 in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 13th, 2011, 01:29 PM

Tags for this Thread