Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 623
Like Tree800Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

  1. #201
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    75
    Posts
    4,736
    Rep Power
    161

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Splagna View Post
    Paul Ellis points this out: Should read: Paul Ellis points this out how to circumvent the teaching of Scripture with inference and conjecture:
    Exactly. Paul Ellis is a very dangerous FALSE TEACHER but his nonsense keeps cropping up on CC just about every week. Looks like more and more false teachers are being accepted by gullible, or untaught, or unteachable Christians these days.
    Splagna, Lewiz and loyaldisciple like this.

  2. #202
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    75
    Posts
    4,736
    Rep Power
    161

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    So now it is hyper grace to affirm God's word that we have the total forgiveness of sins? How legalistic must we be to think it is our sin confession that saves us and grants us forgiveness, instead of Jesus Christ shedding His blood upon the cross of Calvary, that paid the penalty for our sins and reconciled us to God.
    And you continue to confuse the payment of the penalty for automatic forgiveness. If that were true the whole world would be deemed to be saved, no matter what they believed or not, whether they repented or not. And there is no need to raise the straw man of "legalism" in this context. Legalism is the notion that salvation is earned by "the works of the Law".

  3. #203
    loyaldisciple
    Guest

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_ladybug View Post
    We are ALL going to die with unconfessed sins. You, me, Joe Schmoe..
    Is that supposed to mean we don't ask for forgiveness for as many of our sins as we can ?

    With that philosophy then since we cannot find and jail all murderers we should simply not jail any of them. Not a good policy to be thinking that way. You do what you can. You don't just do nothing because you cannot be perfect. That is a defeated attitude.

  4. #204
    Senior Member BenFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,795
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    150

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    And you continue to confuse the payment of the penalty for automatic forgiveness. If that were true the whole world would be deemed to be saved, no matter what they believed or not, whether they repented or not. And there is no need to raise the straw man of "legalism" in this context. Legalism is the notion that salvation is earned by "the works of the Law".
    False. Repentance is necessary for the world (the Holy Spirit convicts them of sin, righteousness and judgement). This is how Christ being the propitiation for the sins of the world is applied to them, individually. Each and every one must repent, believe the Gospel.

    Believers on the other hand, are already on the receptive side of God's grace and forgiveness that Jesus Christ attained for us through His death and resurrection (paying the penalty for our sins). We have the forgiveness of sins, as even 1 John 2 points out.

    1 John 2:12 King James Version (KJV)

    12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
    Budman likes this.

  5. #205
    loyaldisciple
    Guest

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    False. Repentance is necessary for the world (the Holy Spirit convicts them of sin, righteousness and judgement). This is how Christ being the propitiation for the sins of the world is applied to them, individually. Each and every one must repent, believe the Gospel.

    Believers on the other hand, are already on the receptive side of God's grace and forgiveness that Jesus Christ attained for us through His death and resurrection (paying the penalty for our sins). We have the forgiveness of sins, as even 1 John 2 points out.

    1 John 2:12 King James Version (KJV)

    12 I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
    I guess you are a believer that all your sin is forgiven past, present and future. Although this may be true, it is not good thinking for one to place in the forefront of their minds. As to the spiritually immature it can welcome bad behavior as they believe it will come at no cost to them. This is very dangerous thinking as it is tempting God and not obeying Him.

  6. #206
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    75
    Posts
    4,736
    Rep Power
    161

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    False. Repentance is necessary for the world...
    There are TWO kinds of repentance: (1) the repentance of unsaved sinners and (2) the repentance of saved Christians. So since you are not aware of the latter, you should be giving serious thought to this passage which is addressed to Christians:

    9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

    10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

    11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

    12 Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you. (2 Cor 7:9-12)

    Lewiz likes this.

  7. #207
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,356
    Blog Entries
    76
    Rep Power
    277

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    I'm not sure you understood my post CS1. You're trying to say that obtaining mercy and grace is for the forgiveness of sin, but what I am articulating and showing in context (of the verses you're using) is that temptation is centerfold here. Grace and mercy, helps, of overcoming temptation and resisting temptation with an escape God provides.

    This verse (Hebrews 4:16) that you're using is not about the forgiveness of sin, but the temptation that leads to sin. It is about not giving into temptation that leads to sin, and this is avoided (giving into the temptation) by approaching the throne of grace in time of need to receive mercy and grace. To receive the escape.
    What if you don't approach the throne?

    What if you were like King David, a murderer and unrepentant until God sent the prophet Nathan to speak to him?

    Mercy means not receiving the punishment you deserve.

    Grace means receiving the love you could never earn.

    If you never sin after being saved, you wouldn't need mercy from God.
    CS1 and Lewiz like this.
    Don't take my word for it. Search Scriptures for yourself!

    Acts 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

  8. #208
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,356
    Blog Entries
    76
    Rep Power
    277

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Salvation is not a one time event.

    It is a living relationship with our Heavenly Father.


    Salvation is not a test you check yes or no too.

    It is a way of life that transforms your heart and mind.

    Salvation is not just about a future spent eternally with God. It is about a present spent in unceasing prayer and love for all. Love as God loves. Love that is compassionate even to those who hate us. Love that is kind, patient and true.

    Salvation isn't about who you were but who God is making you to be.

    Salvation isn't about what you have done but what God has done for you through Christ, not just you but the whole world.
    Splagna and loyaldisciple like this.

  9. #209
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,296
    Rep Power
    460

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
    really ? hmm who was it thast said If we confess our sins, he(Jesus) is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.? I think it was in the Bible 1john 1:9
    Notice that - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (vs. 9) is IN CONTRAST TO - If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (vs. 8) and - If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us (vs. 10). Some people misunderstand verse 9 to mean that we must confess each sin that we commit as we commit them (keep a specific inventory) as an additional requirement to remain cleansed and if we forget a sin we are toast!
    Budman likes this.
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  10. #210
    loyaldisciple
    Guest

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    Salvation is not a one time event.

    It is a living relationship with our Heavenly Father.


    Salvation is not a test you check yes or no too.

    It is a way of life that transforms your heart and mind.

    Salvation is not just about a future spent eternally with God. It is about a present spent in unceasing prayer and love for all. Love as God loves. Love that is compassionate even to those who hate us. Love that is kind, patient and true.

    Salvation isn't about who you were but who God is making you to be.

    Salvation isn't about what you have done but what God has done for you through Christ, not just you but the whole world.
    Very good Ariel. I really don't care much for this modern day attitude that says I'm saved so now I can do whatever I want and sin doesn't matter anymore. Another great thing about being under god's wing is that He makes you want to help others to the same truth you have found. And also help others with tasks. Faith makes one want to perform some works. It is truly amazing what God can do.
    Lewiz likes this.

  11. #211
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,356
    Blog Entries
    76
    Rep Power
    277

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Notice that - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (vs. 9) is IN CONTRAST TO - If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (vs. 8) and - If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us (vs. 10). Some people misunderstand verse 9 to mean that we must confess each sin that we commit as we commit them (keep a specific inventory) as an additional requirement to remain cleansed and if we forget a sin we are toast!
    I believe we should repent any sin God brings to mind and trust God to guide us always.

    People often worry too much and it's a lack of faith.

    God chastens His children and the fruit is righteousness.

    "Confess each sin as we commit them"

    How does that work?

    I get the imagine if a two year old "accidently" touching the hot pot after you tell them not to as they stare you in the eye.

    Sometimes the punishment is simply the pain the act of disobedience causes you.
    Last edited by Ariel82; 6 Days Ago at 06:39 AM.
    Don't take my word for it. Search Scriptures for yourself!

    Acts 17:11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

  12. #212
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,296
    Rep Power
    460

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel82 View Post
    I believe we should repent any sin God brings to mind and trust God to guide us always.

    People often worry too much and it's a lack of faith.

    God chastens His children and the fruit is righteousness.
    Instead of keeping a specific inventory of sins to confess and if we forget one, we are toast, I see 1 John 1:9 as a settled matter for believers and ongoing acknowledgement that we are sinner's in need of forgiveness through faith in Jesus Christ, in contrast to verses 8 and 10. Believers continue to confess "say the same thing" and then "agree, admit, acknowledge" to God sins that are committed, yet it's not about regaining justification all over again each time we commit a sin.
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  13. #213
    Senior Member NoNameMcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 6th, 2017
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,072
    Rep Power
    342

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by loyaldisciple View Post
    Very good Ariel. I really don't care much for this modern day attitude that says I'm saved so now I can do whatever I want and sin doesn't matter anymore. Another great thing about being under god's wing is that He makes you want to help others to the same truth you have found. And also help others with tasks. Faith makes one want to perform some works. It is truly amazing what God can do.
    lol absolute drivel

    no born again Christian wants to sin


    if they do whatever they want

    they walk perfectly without any sin out of love


    youre speaking of someone who isnt made new


    not an adopted child of God

    (comes with new heart and spirit)


    assurance in Gods promises does not = license to sin

    anyone who claims this is either not made new

    or lying about Gods grace


    anyways

    mr.93

    it is amazing what God can do

    you should seek the truth of what it means to be kept by the power of God





    (for the record... those who have recieved a new heart and spirit from God are saved... and this does not change... His sheep remain His sheep)
    Budman likes this.
    Philippians 3:9
    9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith

  14. #214
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,356
    Blog Entries
    76
    Rep Power
    277

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Instead of keeping a specific inventory of sins to confess and if we forget one, we are toast, I see 1 John 1:9 as a settled matter for believers and ongoing acknowledgement that we are sinner's in need of forgiveness through faith in Jesus Christ, in contrast to verses 8 and 10. Believers continue to confess "say the same thing" and then "agree, admit, acknowledge" to God sins that are committed, yet it's not about regaining justification all over again each time we commit a sin.
    It goes back to the distinction between justification and sanctification.

    I ask...do we truly believe God has forgiven us?

    When we hurt others, do we ask for their forgiveness?

    Do you know the Psalm that says "to you alone have I sinned O Lord"

    I would reword the OP to ask:

    Should Christians repent and makes amends to those they harm every time God chastens them for their sins?

  15. #215
    Senior Member peacefulbeliever's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2012
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,557
    Rep Power
    80

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulbeliever View Post
    I don't believe anyone is saying that you lose your salvation if you do not confess and ask forgiveness for your sins.

    I will ask again:
    If all our future sins are taken care of . . . why would we even have to appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be judged: For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. [2 Cor. 5:10]
    IF all future sins are automatically forgiven - then what "bad" is there to judge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adstar View Post
    You should take the time to slowly read the verse you quoted.. Let me highlight the portion you seemed to not recognise..

    For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. [2 Cor. 5:10]
    Nope - I recognized every bit of the verse - maybe you should take the time to slowly read the verse. I believe the verse says GOOD OR BAD . . . Notice it doesn't just say "good" as you highlighted.
    The question remains - things done in the body - good or bad . . . . IF all future sins are automatically forgiven - then what "bad" is there to judge?
    Last edited by peacefulbeliever; 6 Days Ago at 09:39 AM.
    BenFTW likes this.
    Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. Psalm 51:2
    Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad. Pro. 12:25
    Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Ps. 19:14
    The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. Ps. 33:11
    We learn to walk spiritually the same way we learn to walk physically-by walking.

  16. #216
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    51,135
    Rep Power
    437

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    Future sins were PAID FOR at Calvary. But just as the finished work of Christ is of no avail to sinners who do not obey the Gospel, future sins (our present sins) need to be confessed in order to be forgiven.

    Many Christians have the mistaken idea that just because Christ paid the penalty for all of our sins at Calvary, they are automatically forgiven. If that were true then Universalism would prevail.

    But just as God has stipulated two conditions for the finished work of Christ to be effective for our souls for salvation, He has also stipulated that confession of present sins is necessary to maintain fellowship with Him, and with other believers.
    Study scripture

    People at the great white throne will be judged according to their work, not their sins. And they will be cast out BECAUSE they did not believe.

    Their sin penalty was paid. Their unbelief penalty was never paid.

    Jesus died for sin, not unbelief.
    Budman likes this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  17. #217
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    51,135
    Rep Power
    437

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulbeliever View Post
    If all our future sins are taken care of . . . why would we even have to appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be judged: For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. [2 Cor. 5:10] IF all future sins are automatically forgiven - then what "bad" is there to judge?

    Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. [1 Cor. 3:13-15] IF all our future sins are forgiven, then wouldn't we ALL receive the same rewards? No one would suffer loss . . .

    We are supposed to watch out so that we do not lose our rewards - Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. [2 John 1:8] I want to try my best to be confident and not ashamed before him at his coming. [1 John 2:28]

    We do not lose our salvation but we will be rewarded or suffer lack of rewards - the new birth is permanent but what we do on earth matters because it determines how we are rewarded in the Millennial Kingdom. I am sure there are things in my life that I have inadvertently not ask forgiveness for and I will suffer lose of rewards but I will endeavor to ask forgiveness for those things I do that are contrary to God's will for my life. My walk matters.
    There are two judgment seats

    1 for believers (called the "Bema Seat" Where a believer is given reward or seen their works burnt in fire, yet he himself will still be saved

    2. For unbelievers, those in hades, Also called the great white throne. Where people are delivered to christ, Not raised by him, and all who appear are cast into hell

    Non of the judgments has anything to do with sin, the sin debt was paid.

    He who believes is not condemned, He who does not believe is condemned already BECAUSE he has not believed (not because he has sinned)
    Budman likes this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  18. #218
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    51,135
    Rep Power
    437

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
    yes you are to ask forgiveness for a sin. Hebrews 4:16 "16Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

    who was this speaking to?
    He is our Priest forever,

    This is why we are to come as to recieve what we need. 1John 1:19 "
    If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to clease us from all unrighteousness.".


    the idea that you do not have to ask forgiveness for sin is not biblical.

    James 4:17 "
    Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin."

    You know what you are doing is sin , therefore you have to confess it and ask forgiveness of it. it is the grace given to you in the santifcation process which helps you come to know the sins you do to be ing able to0 be free of them. the ones you don't know ,we are to self examine to see that we are in the faith. As instructed to do before eating the Lord's Supper.

    2cor 13:5 "
    Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified."

    This was not told to do to unsaved it was instruction to those who are saved.
    if we have to ask forgiveness for every sin to be forgiven, then no one will make it to heaven, because we can not know all sins we commit.
    Katy-follower and Budman like this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  19. #219
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    51,135
    Rep Power
    437

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    the word confess does not mean to ask forgiveness, or to beg for Gods mercy

    The word confess means to state out the sin.

    A person who broke a fine goes to court, he confesses that crime, He confesses yes he did it, or he declares his innocence.
    Confessing admits guilt. it is not asking forgiveness, Forgiveness (payment) was already completed on calvary.
    Katy-follower, Budman and BillG like this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  20. #220
    Senior Member preston39's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2017
    Age
    78
    Posts
    355
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: Must Christians Ask For Forgiveness Every Time They Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenFTW View Post
    So now it is hyper grace to affirm God's word that we have the total forgiveness of sins? How legalistic must we be to think it is our sin confession that saves us and grants us forgiveness, instead of Jesus Christ shedding His blood upon the cross of Calvary, that paid the penalty for our sins and reconciled us to God.
    B...,

    You need to understand sequential application here.....sin confession is a must;

    Yes Christ on the cross made forgiveness available to us thru His grace...but, we are required to ask for forgiveness as we sin.... for it to be available for us.
    Example...The Lord's prayer...."forgive us of our tress passes as we forgive those who tress pass against us". Those words are not there just to add length to the prayer.
    Lewiz likes this.
    Blessings to you.

    preston39

    "without Christ you are alone......you can't handle it"!

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question, should Christians be happy and joyful all the time?
    By Miri in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 1 Day Ago, 10:01 PM
  2. time for christians to expose the enemy
    By preacha24_7 in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 28th, 2018, 12:19 AM
  3. Why do some Christians feel Guilty all the time?
    By ember in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: May 24th, 2016, 09:40 AM
  4. Chinese Christians see bible for the first time.
    By Sophia1993 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 3rd, 2014, 12:51 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 21st, 2013, 04:11 AM