Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 361
Like Tree450Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Budman's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,861
    Rep Power
    159

    Default Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    I've heard this repeated time and again. While we won't lose salvation when we sin, God will, however, break fellowship with us until we "repent" and stop sinning.

    My question is this: How many times a day does God cease fellowship with us? Since we sin many times a day (if you're honest, you know this is true) does that mean we have fellowship, lose it, have it back, lose it again, get it back, all day long etc., ad nauseam?

    And please don't bring up the old "pattern" of sin thing. As we indeed sin every day, day after day, week after week, etc. we all have such a pattern.

    Do any believe we lose fellowship with God when we sin?

    If so, why?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Blain's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    14,527
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    272

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    No not even in the slightest. There were times where I was having a whole lot of trouble with one particular sin so much so that I felt like a hopeless disgusting sinner lower than the dirt that even the worms eat, I felt filthy and was grieving in my own doings and yet even then as I talked with him as I always do I felt his love for me as I poured out my heart to him. What I saw and what he saw were the complete opposite and he encouraged me in my poor state and gave me strength through my storm all because I was talking with him.

    He will never leave us or forsake even in our most darkest hours of sin
    My life's testimony seems to have helped many people so I am going to put it here http://christianchat.com/testimonies...-new-post.html

    When the hearts of God and a child of his make that special intimate connection a wondrous power is born and a flame ignites that can never be put out

    Jesus knew more than anyone of us-Love hurts

    The strongest among you may not wear a crown

  3. #3
    Senior Member Marcelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2016
    Age
    67
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    I feel God gives me a "time out" when I sin.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Budman's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,861
    Rep Power
    159

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    I feel God gives me a "time out" when I sin.

    Care to elaborate?

  5. #5
    Senior Member wanderer6059's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2013
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,222
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    I've heard this repeated time and again. While we won't lose salvation when we sin, God will, however, break fellowship with us until we "repent" and stop sinning.

    My question is this: How many times a day does God cease fellowship with us? Since we sin many times a day (if you're honest, you know this is true) does that mean we have fellowship, lose it, have it back, lose it again, get it back, all day long etc., ad nauseam?

    And please don't bring up the old "pattern" of sin thing. As we indeed sin every day, day after day, week after week, etc. we all have such a pattern.

    Do any believe we lose fellowship with God when we sin?

    If so, why?
    no, our fellowship is based on what Christ did and the righteousness we have in Him, we will always have that righteousness.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Marcelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2016
    Age
    67
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    I feel distanced from God when I sin.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    April 15th, 2017
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,223
    Rep Power
    31

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Budman View Post
    I've heard this repeated time and again. While we won't lose salvation when we sin, God will, however, break fellowship with us until we "repent" and stop sinning.

    My question is this: How many times a day does God cease fellowship with us? Since we sin many times a day (if you're honest, you know this is true) does that mean we have fellowship, lose it, have it back, lose it again, get it back, all day long etc., ad nauseam?

    And please don't bring up the old "pattern" of sin thing. As we indeed sin every day, day after day, week after week, etc. we all have such a pattern.

    Do any believe we lose fellowship with God when we sin?

    If so, why?
    Isa 59:1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:
    Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

    2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

    Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

    Jas 5:19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
    Jas 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

    Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
    Rom 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
    Rom 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

    Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
    Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

    Gal 6:6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
    Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
    Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
    Gal 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

    Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
    Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

    Rev 3:2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
    Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

    It appears that sins does affect our relationship with God, and a person could lose out on salvation, because they would not allow the Spirit to lead them, but wanted to enjoy some things of the flesh, and worldliness.

    People need to keep their flesh out of the interpretation of scriptures.

    2Ti 3:4 lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
    2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
    2Ti 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
    2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

    They do not allow the Spirit to lead them for they want to enjoy some things of the flesh, and worldliness, and hold unto sin and believe they are right with God.

    Too much of that going on.Separate yourself from the world and do not be a part of them.
    joefizz likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member UnderGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,228
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Yes I feel the same but that is my guilt and shame that I have focused on and not who I am in Christ,

    These are emotions not reality, fellowship is spiritual not emotional.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    I feel distanced from God when I sin.
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    Romans 6:14

  9. #9
    Senior Member wanderer6059's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2013
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,222
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    I feel distanced from God when I sin.
    thats more from turning from God though, not from Him distancing Himself. its more so that when we sin we turn our backs to Him, we are still in His presence, still with Him. what repentance is, is simply turning back to Him.

  10. #10
    Senior Member wanderer6059's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 2013
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,222
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by MattforJesus View Post
    Isa 59:1 Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:
    Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

    2Ti 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

    Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

    Jas 5:19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
    Jas 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

    Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
    Rom 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
    Rom 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

    Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
    Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

    Gal 6:6 Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
    Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
    Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
    Gal 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

    Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
    Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

    Rev 3:2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
    Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

    It appears that sins does affect our relationship with God, and a person could lose out on salvation, because they would not allow the Spirit to lead them, but wanted to enjoy some things of the flesh, and worldliness.

    People need to keep their flesh out of the interpretation of scriptures.

    2Ti 3:4 lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
    2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
    2Ti 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
    2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

    They do not allow the Spirit to lead them for they want to enjoy some things of the flesh, and worldliness, and hold unto sin and believe they are right with God.

    Too much of that going on.Separate yourself from the world and do not be a part of them.
    no one besides Christ is perfect brother, thats why we have 1 John 1:9

  11. #11
    Senior Member Marcelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2016
    Age
    67
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Marcelo said: "I feel distanced from God when I sin".

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderGrace View Post
    Yes I feel the same but that is my guilt and shame that I have focused on and not who I am in Christ,

    These are emotions not reality, fellowship is spiritual not emotional.
    But if you ignore these emotions and continue sinning where are you gonna end up?

  12. #12
    Senior Member UnderGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,228
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    The answer is in your will, we should not be driven by our emotions, that is like when Peter was looking down at the water and was fraught with anxiety.

    The more you look at sin and emotions the more you will drown, need to focus on Christ within you, you are a partaker of His divine nature. How powerful!!

    Remember what Paul stated,
    8
    Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

    Phil 4:8

    Jesus is all these things and more.



    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    Marcelo said: "I feel distanced from God when I sin".



    But if you ignore these emotions and continue sinning where are you gonna end up?
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    Romans 6:14

  13. #13
    Senior Member maxwel's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,237
    Rep Power
    243

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    We often confuse everyday colloquial language with precise biblical language.

    This is happening in several others threads simultaneously right now... it's a very common problem.



    Generally, when we say "we break fellowship with God", or "God breaks fellowship with us", we aren't trying to use precise biblical language to describe a precise doctrinal event... we're merely trying to describe, in common language, some kind of change in our personal walk with God.

    I don't use this particular phrase much, because it's so incredibly confusing if we view it doctrinally.
    This is probably why the OP is bringing it up.

    But as a general principle, we DO use words and phrases differently in common everyday speech than we would use when doing precise doctrinal exegesis.

    And so we probably need to do two things:
    1. Make some allowance for "broader" and "looser" uses of language for common, everyday use.
    2. Still recognize there is a difference between "common use" and "precise biblical use", and be able to understand and define them both.

    What's going on in this thread is an exercise of point #2.
    That's important.
    But when we're all done, lets be sure to consider point #1 as well.
    Last edited by maxwel; 1 Week Ago at 12:59 PM.

  14. #14
    Junior Member socalpoppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2018
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate; and she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made loincloths for themselves. 8 They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden at the time of the evening breeze, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” 10 He said, “I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.” 11 He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?”
    The Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Version. (1989). (Ge 3:6–11). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

    I always find it interesting that Adam and Eve change, hiding from God, but God doesn't change. He still walks in the garden expecting to interact with Adam and Eve.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Marcelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2016
    Age
    67
    Posts
    962
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderGrace View Post
    .... we should not be driven by our emotions,
    I totally agree with you that we should not be driven by our emotions. Some Christians say things like: "Oh, God made me feel (in my heart) that it's about time I move to a new and better home". This can be totally deceiving.

    But if a Christian cheats the tax system and then feels guilty, this guilt is not a deceiving emotion -- rather, it's very useful because it can bring the person back on the right track with the Lord.

  16. #16
    Senior Member UnderGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2016
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,228
    Rep Power
    204

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Yes, as long as one lets go of the guilt, the sin has been dealt with at the cross.

    Knowledge and accepting of forgiveness is what we need to be free from sin, I always loved it when my kids told me things because they loved me and were persuaded I loved them and would forgive them, not because they felt guilty.




    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
    I totally agree with you that we should not be driven by our emotions. Some Christians say things like: "Oh, God made me feel (in my heart) that it's about time I move to a new and better home". This can be totally deceiving.

    But if a Christian cheats the tax system and then feels guilty, this guilt is not a deceiving emotion -- rather, it's very useful because it can bring the person back on the right track with the Lord.
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    Romans 6:14

  17. #17
    Junior Member socalpoppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2018
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    5 For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this tent we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling— 3 if indeed, when we have taken it off we will not be found naked. 4 For while we are still in this tent, we groan under our burden, because we wish not to be unclothed but to be further clothed, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.
    The Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Version. (1989). (2 Co 5). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.


    I've thought that their being naked was a result of knowing evil and needing to cover their vulnerability to evil. I only recently read this passage after thinking about them knowing they were naked, and it piqued my interest, too. "Longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling..." Was this the original state? "... so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life" Does mortality equal our current state when we are naked? Do we wear clothes because we want to be back into that original state?

  18. #18
    Junior Member socalpoppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 7th, 2018
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by MattforJesus View Post

    It appears that sins does affect our relationship with God, and a person could lose out on salvation, because they would not allow the Spirit to lead them, but wanted to enjoy some things of the flesh, and worldliness.
    I don't see the Spirit in the above verses, but I think I am close to understanding what you say. Could you give me a couple of verses that tie sin to not following the Spirt? Galatians, right?
    Last edited by socalpoppy; 1 Week Ago at 02:16 PM. Reason: trying to get the quote to work

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2016
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,722
    Rep Power
    108

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?


    God does not turn from us. I believe we turn from Him.



    We get distracted and leave Him. However, when we turn back to Him, He is always there and welcomes us with open arms.


    This is what leads me to believe that He does not turn from us.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2016
    Age
    28
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Does God Sever Fellowship With Us When We Sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by maxwel View Post
    We often confuse everyday colloquial language with precise biblical language.
    What's a collqil .. colquil .. that language thingy ?
    Stunnedbygrace likes this.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking to Fellowship
    By petalfin in forum Filipino Christian Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 8th, 2016, 06:44 AM
  2. Fellowship
    By Lindsay in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: July 1st, 2012, 11:33 PM
  3. need fellowship
    By Jesusfreak37 in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM
  4. new and looking for fellowship
    By endtimes12 in forum New Christian Chat Members (Introduce yourselves!!!)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 29th, 2012, 04:45 PM
  5. Men's Fellowship and Women's Fellowship Rooms
    By Lazarus25 in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM