Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 271
Like Tree148Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Faith and Deeds

  1. #121
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    52,056
    Rep Power
    492

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by posthuman View Post
    'Faith in' = our walk?

    I think you might have faith and works mixed up... It ain't faith in ourselves, you know.
    amen, faith in does not equal our walk in the passage

    it is our faith in Christs work, as apposed to faith in our own work
    posthuman likes this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  2. #122
    Senior Member posthuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2013
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,810
    Rep Power
    436

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    amen, faith in does not equal our walk in the passage

    it is our faith in Christs work, as apposed to faith in our own work
    & He, being God, did not have 'faith' in the way humans do concerning what we cannot see, but certain knowledge, and perfect faithfulness, because He knows and sees all things
    good news gives health to the bones
    (Proverbs 15:30)

  3. #123
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,732
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by posthuman View Post
    'Faith in' = our walk?

    I think you might have faith and works mixed up... It ain't faith in ourselves, you know.
    The phrase "faith in Christ" refers to an individual's faith which must be accompanied by obedience. Faith is one's testimony. The phrase "faith of Christ" refers to Christ's faith which was accompanied by His perfect obedience unto the Father. Christ's faith is His testimony.

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,732
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    amen, faith in does not equal our walk in the passage

    it is our faith in Christs work, as apposed to faith in our own work
    Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

    Faith requires substance. Faith requires evidence. The phrase "faith in Christ" refers to the individual's own personal faith in Christ which requires evidence, substance. The phrase "faith of Christ" refers to Christ's faith. Christ's faith requires evidence. Where's the evidence of Christ's faith? The cross.

    Over and over Scripture beckons man to believe the gospel of Christ.

  5. #125
    Senior Member posthuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2013
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,810
    Rep Power
    436

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    The phrase "faith in Christ" refers to an individual's faith which must be accompanied by obedience. Faith is one's testimony. The phrase "faith of Christ" refers to Christ's faith which was accompanied by His perfect obedience unto the Father. Christ's faith is His testimony.
    Uh, my testimony is Christ's faithfulness to me not some kind of boasting of my own works.

    Christ is God, so what exactly does it mean for God to have faith in Himself?
    good news gives health to the bones
    (Proverbs 15:30)

  6. #126
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    52,056
    Rep Power
    492

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

    Faith requires substance. Faith requires evidence. The phrase "faith in Christ" refers to the individual's own personal faith in Christ which requires evidence, substance. The phrase "faith of Christ" refers to Christ's faith. Christ's faith requires evidence. Where's the evidence of Christ's faith? The cross.

    Over and over Scripture beckons man to believe the gospel of Christ.
    my faith has substance, it also has evidence, however in things i can not see,

    the substance is christ, the evidence is the cross, the scripure which proclaims the cross and the tessurection, and the people who were witnesses to it, things i can not see,

    Faith also involves hope, as paul said, the hope of eternal life, which God, who can not lie, promised before time begsn, there is the full substance of my faith. All given bu God.
    mailmandan likes this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  7. #127
    Senior Member posthuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31st, 2013
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,810
    Rep Power
    436

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

    Faith requires substance. Faith requires evidence. The phrase "faith in Christ" refers to the individual's own personal faith in Christ which requires evidence, substance. The phrase "faith of Christ" refers to Christ's faith. Christ's faith requires evidence. Where's the evidence of Christ's faith? The cross.

    Over and over Scripture beckons man to believe the gospel of Christ.
    Now, you said you depend wholly on the faith "of" Christ, so why does it matter one whit whether your own faith "in" Him is accompanied by obedience or not? If it matters at all, you're depending on something other than Him, ain'tcha? Something not unseen, isn't it?
    good news gives health to the bones
    (Proverbs 15:30)

  8. #128
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,706
    Rep Power
    516

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    my faith has substance, it also has evidence, however in things i can not see,

    the substance is christ, the evidence is the cross, the scripure which proclaims the cross and the tessurection, and the people who were witnesses to it, things i can not see,

    Faith also involves hope, as paul said, the hope of eternal life, which God, who can not lie, promised before time begsn, there is the full substance of my faith. All given bu God.
    Amen! Hebrews 11:1 - Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  9. #129
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,732
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by posthuman View Post
    Uh, my testimony is Christ's faithfulness to me not some kind of boasting of my own works.

    Christ is God, so what exactly does it mean for God to have faith in Himself?
    Was Christ obedient unto His Father?

    John 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

    Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

  10. #130
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,706
    Rep Power
    516

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    Over and over Scripture beckons man to believe the gospel of Christ.
    The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16).

    *To believe the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

    The gospel is not a set of rituals to perform, a code of laws to be obeyed or a check list of good works to accomplish as a prerequisite for salvation.
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  11. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2018
    Age
    55
    Posts
    366
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Noah had already "found grace" (Genesis 6:8), was "a preacher of righteousness" (2 Peter 2:5), and "walked with God" BEFORE he built the ark. His obedience was a DEMONSTRATION of his faith, not the origin of it. Building the ark demonstrated his faith and saved him and his family (physically) from drowning (Hebrews 11:17).
    One can't have faith without demonstrating it, can he?

    Otherwise he's only saying he has it.

  12. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2018
    Age
    55
    Posts
    366
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Why people go to such extreme to preach that faith "is" obedience/works is not fascinating, but erroneous.
    I don't say that, & I haven't seen that said in this thread. It's not true.

    Straw man argument.

  13. #133
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,706
    Rep Power
    516

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewiz View Post
    I don't say that, & I haven't seen that said in this thread. It's not true.

    Straw man argument.
    Did you read post #42 and what I said in post #60? It's not a straw man argument and is absolutely true. Prior to my conversion several years ago, while still attending the Roman Catholic church, I also defined faith "as" obedience/works and believed that salvation was by faith "plus works." I've heard this same argument from numerous works-salvationists on multiple Christian forums.
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  14. #134
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    52,056
    Rep Power
    492

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewiz View Post
    One can't have faith without demonstrating it, can he?

    Otherwise he's only saying he has it.
    so did they demonstrate it because they had it, or because they did. It have it

    and are we saved because we have it, or do not have It?

    salvation and works are byproducts, not interdependant on each other, they are interependent on faith,
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  15. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2018
    Age
    55
    Posts
    366
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    I'm not saying this, Scripture points the way. If you are a Jew enduring through the tribulation, James becomes a vital book to study and live by.
    Whaaaaat?!?
    James 2:14-24 takes us back to the OT times where a man lived by his own individual faith. The faith of Jesus Christ was not available to him yet.
    Not true. James was written somewhere between late first century & early second century.

    So, noooo, it wasn't written to Jews under the Law. That would have have been sin, for Jesus had already died & ushered in the New Covenant.

  16. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2018
    Age
    55
    Posts
    366
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    So why all the talk about "claims to have faith but has no works; faith without works is dead; justified by works?" Are you saying this only implies to the Jews in the OT?
    Because faith without works is dead, & faith without works is only a claim.

  17. #137
    Senior Member mailmandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2014
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,706
    Rep Power
    516

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewiz View Post
    Because faith without works is dead, & faith without works is only a claim.
    Yes, as I already explained in post #63238 below:

    Not By Works
    I'm not a bad guy. I'm just misunderstood.

    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

  18. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,732
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    my faith has substance, it also has evidence, however in things i can not see,

    the substance is christ, the evidence is the cross, the scripure which proclaims the cross and the tessurection, and the people who were witnesses to it, things i can not see,

    Faith also involves hope, as paul said, the hope of eternal life, which God, who can not lie, promised before time begsn, there is the full substance of my faith. All given bu God.
    You're describing the faith of Jesus Christ not your own individual faith. Read Hebrews 11. It is full of examples of those OT saint's faith and the proof of their faith through works.

  19. #139
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,732
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by posthuman View Post
    Now, you said you depend wholly on the faith "of" Christ, so why does it matter one whit whether your own faith "in" Him is accompanied by obedience or not? If it matters at all, you're depending on something other than Him, ain'tcha? Something not unseen, isn't it?
    Kind of hard to understand what you're saying, but...that's why it must be the faith of Christ. It's all about Christ.

  20. #140
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2016
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,732
    Rep Power
    66

    Default Re: Faith and Deeds

    Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16).

    *To believe the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

    The gospel is not a set of rituals to perform, a code of laws to be obeyed or a check list of good works to accomplish as a prerequisite for salvation.
    Amen, Amen, and Amen! It's about believing. Faith, however, requires obedience. The believer is justified by the faith of Christ.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No good deeds going unpunished
    By RickyZ in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: February 24th, 2014, 10:13 AM
  2. Mortify the deeds....
    By Cobus in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 21st, 2013, 07:08 AM
  3. Done any good deeds lately?
    By GreenNnice in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM
  4. Faith and Deeds
    By biggiestomp in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: April 21st, 2012, 09:28 PM
  5. Faith without deeds..
    By EndlessGrace in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 13th, 2011, 08:26 AM